Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
The New 16-Cog, 512KB, 64 analog I/O Propeller Chip - Page 19 — Parallax Forums

The New 16-Cog, 512KB, 64 analog I/O Propeller Chip

Comments

• David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,511
    edited 2014-04-10 19:04
    RossH wrote: »
    As long as you have the ability to hook external RAM onto the Propeller, there will be an LMM mode.

The Hubexec mode is an intermediate mode between normal cog execution and LMM. Maybe it should be called HMM.

Ross.
    Haven't we been calling the mode where code resides in external memory XMM mode? I don't think we need a new term for this new chip.
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2014-04-10 19:04
    Cluso99 wrote: »
    I am going to suggest the instructions be simplified (from a users point of view). Here is one example...
    ZCxS Opcode  ZC I Cond  Dest       Source     Instr00 01      10      11        Operand(s)              Flags
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    --L- 1111xxx 00 L CCCC  DDDDDDDDD  xxx0000ff  OFFP    NOTP    CLRP    SETP      D/#                     -- -- -- -- 
    --L- 1111xxx 00 L CCCC  DDDDDDDDD  xxx0001ff  SETPC   SETPNC  SETPZ   SETPNZ    D/#                     -- -- -- -- 

become...
                                                    ' was...    sssssssss
                  SETPIN    #0      ' or #LO        ' CLRP      xxx000000
                  SETPIN    #1      ' or #HI        ' SETP      xxx000001
                  SETPIN    #XOR                    ' NOTP      xxx000010
                  SETPIN    #OFF                    ' OFFP      xxx000011
                  SETPIN    #Z                      ' SETPZ     xxx000100
                  SETPIN    #C                      ' SETPC     xxx000101
                  SETPIN    #NZ                     ' SETPNZ    xxx000110
                  SETPIN    #NC                     ' SETPNC    xxx000111

This only changes the compiler, which now must recognize #LO, #HI, #XOR, #OFF, #Z, #NZ, #C, #NC as reserved names, but simplifies it down to one instruction.

This reduces the instruction count (theoretically) and simplifies the manual.

The only change to the existing instruction coding is I have rearranged the lower 3 bits of "S" (mainly to permit #0 and #1 for CLR and SET).

Thoughts anyone???

Does GETP become GETPIN and GETNP become GETNPIN so it's consistent?
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,149
    edited 2014-04-10 19:06

This only changes the compiler, which now must recognize #LO, #HI, #XOR, #OFF, #Z, #NZ, #C, #NC as reserved names, but simplifies it down to one instruction.

Did you mean one assembler mnemonic, rather than one instruction.
    There are still 8 unique opcodes/instructions.

A single form has merit, but if you want to use a param to indicate the action then SETPIN is better as MOVPIN, or WRPIN
    SETP was already use to SET the pin - most programmers expect SET to do what it says

MOVPIN/WRPIN semantics work on all cases, except for the XOR case, where #XOR is a little confusing.

To keep a common name of WRPIN & using your form, then this would do what it says.

WRPIN #NOTPIN

and pairs with
    RDPIN
  • RossHRossH Posts: 5,362
    edited 2014-04-10 19:12
    David Betz wrote: »
    Haven't we been calling the mode where code resides in external memory XMM mode? I don't think we need a new term for this new chip.

Fair point. XMM is really just LMM with a different storage medium. But we could have CMM, LMM, XMM and this new Hubexec mode. I'm not yet sure whether this new Hubexec mode will completely replace hub-based LMM or not.

Ross.
    edited 2014-04-10 19:15
    Fair point. XMM is really just LMM with a different storage medium. But we could have CMM, LMM, XMM and this new Hubexec mode. I'm not yet sure whether this new Hubexec mode will completely replace hub-based LMM or not.

Ross.
    How would hub-based LMM be useful if we have the ability to execute code directly from the hub?
    edited 2014-04-10 19:19
    jazzed wrote: »
    Technically LMM is not the right word. The point is that LMM used 32 bit instructions, and there will be little difference in size of code in for the same programs between LMM and hubexec/native/default whatever it's called. CMM will probably still be a valid thing to have. Given the amount of head-room we may end up with more interesting things too. Mixed code models though? Isn't that a bit bizarre? Seems rather complicated - maybe worth a white paper.
    So, there is:
    RMM -Register Memory Model, where the code goes into those new executable registers. Some might call it COG
    CMM - where you have the compact code VM running and some really big programs in 512KB
    (Native) - where you are running in a big flat memory model like everyone else (512KB of native code!!!)
    XMM - where you're running out of extended memory.....and your 512KB is used for what? Really big cache space?
    edited 2014-04-10 19:22
    How would hub-based LMM be useful if we have the ability to execute code directly from the hub?

It may not be - but we won't know until Hubexec becomes a reality. But you certainly can't call it LMM - that would be very confusing for a compiler (like Catalina) that intends to support both the P1 and this new chip.

Ross.
  • ozpropdevozpropdev Posts: 2,791
    edited 2014-04-10 19:31
                                                    ' was...    sssssssss
                  SETPIN    #0      ' or #LO        ' CLRP      xxx000000
                  SETPIN    #1      ' or #HI        ' SETP      xxx000001
                  SETPIN    #XOR                    ' NOTP      xxx000010
                  SETPIN    #OFF                    ' OFFP      xxx000011
                  SETPIN    #Z                      ' SETPZ     xxx000100
                  SETPIN    #C                      ' SETPC     xxx000101
                  SETPIN    #NZ                     ' SETPNZ    xxx000110
                  SETPIN    #NC                     ' SETPNC    xxx000111

Perhaps extending that further to include the Smart-IO stuff, an "alias" of the message command for the Smart-IO?

e.g.
    SETPIN #pin,#AI '(Analog In)
    SETPIN #pin,#AO,#value '(Analog Out)
    SETPIN #pin,#PWM,#value
    etc,etc...
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2014-04-10 19:32
    Rather than clog this thread, I thought I would start another thread to discuss instruction semantics
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php/155195-New-16-Cog-512KB-Instruction-Semantics-discussion?p=1259088#post1259088
    edited 2014-04-10 19:33
    It may not be - but we won't know until Hubexec becomes a reality. But you certainly can't call it LMM - that would be very confusing for a compiler (like Catalina) that intends to support both the P1 and this new chip.

Ross.
    That is why I think we should stick with XMM. Executing code directly from hub memory will become the default mode I think just like LMM was before.
    edited 2014-04-10 19:42
    That is why I think we should stick with XMM. Executing code directly from hub memory will become the default mode I think just like LMM was before.

Yes, but even if we don't have LMM on this chip, we'll still have CMM, LMM, XMM on the P1, and then CMM, "this new mode" and XMM on the P2.

So I'd prefer if "this new mode" was not referred to as LMM, because at present it looks like all the other modes can be kept compatible at the assembly level between the two chips (as long as Parallax does not make too many changes to the existing instruction set) - but LMM would be very different.

If you don't like HMM, we could just stick with calling it HUBEXEC. Or just HUB.

Ross.
    edited 2014-04-10 19:45
    Yes, but even if we don't have LMM on this chip, we'll still have CMM, LMM, XMM on the P1, and then CMM, "this new mode" and XMM on the P2.

So I'd prefer if "this new mode" was not referred to as LMM, because at present it looks like all the other modes can be kept compatible at the assembly level between the two chips (as long as Parallax does not make too many changes to the existing instruction set) - but LMM would be very different.

If you don't like HMM, we could just stick with calling it HUBEXEC. Or just HUB.

Ross.

How about RAM to keep with the new common terms marketing direction? HUB is out RAM is in.
  • jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2014-04-10 19:49

I like Native ;-)
    edited 2014-04-10 19:52
    mindrobots wrote: »
    How about RAM to keep with the new common terms marketing direction? HUB is out RAM is in.

I could live with that.

Ross.
  • RamonRamon Posts: 484
    edited 2014-04-10 19:55
    mindrobots wrote: »
    Since we're all starting to make requests on the specs of this new chip, can I ask for the SERIN/SEROUT instructions? Are they big power hogs or large blocks of silicon?? Maybe just SERA and not SERB?

I haven't seen the reply for this one. Will SERIN/SEROUT be removed from this chip?
    edited 2014-04-10 19:55
    jazzed wrote: »
    I like Native ;-)

No way - it's not a TLA!
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,149
    edited 2014-04-10 20:09
    Ramon wrote: »
    I haven't seen the reply for this one. Will SERIN/SEROUT be removed from this chip?

Last I heard, Chip was thinking of support for some serial functions on the new Pin Counter cell.
    Data Bandwidth values are still somewhat undefined...
  • jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2014-04-10 20:36
    No way - it's not a TLA!

LOL
    edited 2014-04-10 20:47
    No way - it's not a TLA!

It sure is!

RAM Addressability Model -RAM

Geez! Do I have to explain everything?? :lol:
    edited 2014-04-10 20:49
    Chip,
    May I suggest that the PC counter and immediate values be 18 bits long instead of 17 bits long.

This way, should subsequent chips have 1MB of hub ram, we don't have to change anything???
    There is room in the instruction set to have the opcodes 11101xx use one of those bits instead of D[8].
    The saving of Z,C,PC to $1EF would be 0000000_00_0_00ZC_<18bitPC>
  • koehlerkoehler Posts: 598
    edited 2014-04-10 21:58
    Cluso, this isn't directed at your post.
    Just thought it needed to be mentioned again as we seem to be creeping again...

hosed.jpg
    400 x 265 - 20K
    edited 2014-04-10 23:13
    Chip,

Do we need SETPTRA, SETPTRB, SETINDA, SETINDB, SETINDS, ADJINDA, ADJINDB, ADJINDS, GETPTRA, GETPTRB ?

If they are/were part of the upper registers, then couldn't we

MOV PTRx,S/# , ADD PTRx,S/# , MOV S,PTRx etc.

The only part we cannot do is SETINDS & ADJINDS in one instruction. (saves 10 instructions)

I noticed JMPRET (from P1) is missing. Should this be included for P1 compatibility?

Should the new JMP/CALL/RET instructions that use the internal 4-level stack be renamed JMPS/CALLS/RETS to avoid confusion with the old JMPRET (JMP/CALL/RET) ? Similar for PUSH/POP to be PUSHS/POPS?
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    edited 2014-04-11 01:17
    We should kill these terms "HUB" and "COG" and "hubexec".

The RAM on the PII is the "RAM". Just like any other micro-controller.
    A COG is a "processor".
    Yes there is a HUB mechanism arbitrating memory access between processors but that is a little implementation detail.

"hubexec" is just "normal execution", why give it a weird meaningless name?

Executing instructions from it's own CPU registers is the weird thing. That's something a Propeller II does that is really unfamiliar to most people.

"LMM" is right out.

propgcc and other compilers should not carry this old confusing terminology forward to the PII.
    edited 2014-04-11 01:22
    Heater. wrote: »
    We should kill these terms "HUB" and "COG" and "hubexec".

The RAM on the PII is the "RAM". Just like any other micro-controller.
    A COG is a "processor".
    Yes there is a HUB mechanism arbitrating memory access between processors but that is a little implementation detail.

"hubexec" is just "normal execution", why give it a weird meaningless name?

Executing instructions from it's own CPU registers is the weird thing. That's something a Propeller II does that is really unfamiliar to most people.

"LMM" is right out.

propgcc and other compilers should not carry this old confusing terminology forward to the PII.

Utter rubbish. Use whatever marketing terminology you like to get the punters to pay attention, but if you continue to try and pretend that cogs are nothing more than cores, and Hub RAM is nothing more than RAM, you will probably not be surprised when the punters decide to completely ignore the Propeller because the latest ARM processor has more cores, more RAM, more Mhz and is cheaper.

I despair of this forum sometimes.

Ross.
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    edited 2014-04-11 01:50
    RossH,
    ...but if you continue to try and pretend that cogs are nothing more than cores, and Hub RAM is nothing more than RAM,
    I think I read that from you before. Didn't understand it then. Don't understand it now.

In what way, is a COG any more than a "core" or "processor"?

Yes, it carries with it counters and video things but that doesn't change it in my mind. From a programming perspective it is what has become commonly known as a "core" now a days. With some local extras.

In what way is HUB RAM not just RAM?

Don't despair, please explain what I'm missing here.
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 14,029
    edited 2014-04-11 03:16
    I still think HUB RAM should be "shared" or something RAM, just because of the multi-core environment.
    Like the idea of calling cog RAM "registers", all 512 of them.

Don't know what to call the way we used to do things... "execute from register space" maybe? "local execution"?

For me, the Propeller lies in the space in between cheap, simple microcontrollers and overly complex ARM/FPGA.
    The other great thing about Propeller was all the free tools and free example code, etc.
    I think this new chip will still be in this area.
  • ErNaErNa Posts: 1,743
    edited 2014-04-11 04:28
    We compare apples to pears and don't call them fruit. Look to here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flynn%27s_taxonomy. The propeller is unique and will be unique for the next time. If you see the propeller as a SPIN-machine, then you have one global, shared memory and 8 cores, running in parallel. But if your point of view changes to see the COGS, you have eight register machine, normally called RISC machines, which have access to a common external memory. But as they share also the I/O, the can communicate via I/O-pins. And this will extend, as the new versions come to the light.
    By the way: I found, there are two types of software engineers: those who hate to not use the resources of a given hardware and those who love to use resources that do not exist yet.
    edited 2014-04-11 04:38
    Heater. wrote: »
    RossH,

I think I read that from you before. Didn't understand it then. Don't understand it now.

In what way, is a COG any more than a "core" or "processor"?

Yes, it carries with it counters and video things but that doesn't change it in my mind. From a programming perspective it is what has become commonly known as a "core" now a days. With some local extras.

In what way is HUB RAM not just RAM?

Don't despair, please explain what I'm missing here.

I'm afraid if you don't get it by now, there is simply no hope - not for you, and (probably) not for the Propeller. What hope do we have if even some of the supposed cognoscenti don't get it? Multi-core processors are a dime a dozen. The Propeller is unique (as far as I know) in the micro-controller domain.

From the wikipedia entry on multi-core processors:
    A multi-core processor is a single computing component with two or more independent actual central processing units (called "cores") ...

Even this very first sentence is not true of the Propeller, and the rest of the description becomes less and less relevant.

Ross.
    edited 2014-04-11 04:40

Ross.
    I agree that executing native code from hub memory should not be called LMM. I like just calling it "native mode" but if it must fit into the TLA naming convention how about NMM?
    edited 2014-04-11 04:46
    I agree that executing native code from hub memory should not be called LMM. I like just calling it "native mode" but if it must fit into the TLA naming convention how about NMM?

Suite me. I don't actually care what it is called, as long as it is not called LMM. Anyone who examines the architecture and instruction set of this chip will realize it is not the native mode of the Propeller - rather, it is an afterthought added on later.

But by all means call it "native" in the marketing literature if that will sell more Propellers.

Ross.