Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
$2.49 38 kHz IR Proximity Sensor Module — Parallax Forums

$2.49 38 kHz IR Proximity Sensor Module

ercoerco Posts: 20,255
edited 2014-04-04 14:44 in Accessories
I ordered two. http://www.ebay.com/itm/IR-Infrared-Obstacle-Avoidance-Sensors-Module-for-Arduino-Smart-Car-Robot-HM-/400662837159

3-6V, two trimpots (prolly IR frequency and intensity) with active-low digital output from 38 kHz IR receiver module.

Lots of other sensors linked on that page.

Comments

• mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2014-04-02 02:43
    They do have a bunch of fun sensors to try. Thanks, Eric, there goes the April fun money budget!!! (already!)
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2014-04-02 09:28
    mindrobots wrote: »
    They do have a bunch of fun sensors to try. Thanks, Eric, there goes the April fun money budget!!! (already!)

Now don't forget to budget a dollar for the twins' college fund! :)
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2014-04-02 10:12
    erco wrote: »
    Now don't forget to budget a dollar for the twins' college fund! :)

Um, it's going into an escrow account?

If I was really mean, I'd send you gift cards for the twins to use at Chuck E Cheese! :lol: Nothing like a Saturday afternoon at Chuck E Cheese!!
    edited 2014-04-03 10:54
    They know all about Chuck E Cheese already. Even better, we're off to Disneyland just for our annual breakfast this Sunday with Mickey, Minnie, and the gang. Then next Thursday we're winging our way to Ohio. Better watch out!
    960 x 1280 - 482K
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2014-04-03 11:22
    Then next Thursday we're winging our way to Ohio. Better watch out!

Well then , you better do a side trip to SC and visit doggiedoc, and the another to CT to visit me!
    edited 2014-04-03 13:30
    Yup, visiting family in Charleston SC, Oriental NC, Raleigh NC, and Milford Ohio (Cincy area). I do have a sister in East Haven CT, but I won't get up there this trip. You guys up north are mostly thawed out since this brutal winter, right?
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2014-04-03 13:43
    Yup, visiting family in Charleston SC, Oriental NC, Raleigh NC, and Milford Ohio (Cincy area). I do have a sister in East Haven CT, but I won't get up there this trip. You guys up north are mostly thawed out since this brutal winter, right?

1/2" snow yesterday, do you remember what that looks like ? :)

62 today, go figure.
    edited 2014-04-04 14:44
    I'm hoping that these detectors might be a useful upgrade on a BoeBot, among other things. Boebot's included sensors work, but they are too loosey-goosey for my tastes, IR LEDs hanging off the breadboard in the breeze. LED/receiver alignment is critical, but constantly changing every time the bot hits a wall.

Another solution would be to make a small PCB for BoeBot to make a sensor daughterboard using the existing components; just soldering them down would be an improvement. Of course, that PCB might cost as much as this sensor, which has an onboard IC for generating the IR pulses, and thus may require one less pin (two pins for two sensors) than the stock configuration. Will advise upon receipt.