Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
28 reels, 2 heads, $5799 PNP getting good reviews - Page 3 — Parallax Forums

28 reels, 2 heads, $5799 PNP getting good reviews

13»

Comments

• T ChapT Chap Posts: 4,198
    edited 2015-06-28 09:26
    I finally got some learning done on this today. Here is the first test run. I forgot that I have the large nozzle on head 2 so part of this didn't place and some of the 10k's are off since it was placing with too large of a nozzle. The first step is to get the pick coordinates set up for the tape you are using. That is pretty easy once you get the concept of navigating and testing the positions. So far I am very pleased. This is quite a step above the 240 machine.
    640 x 480 - 157K
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2015-06-28 09:58
    T Chap wrote: »
    I finally got some learning done on this today. Here is the first test run. I forgot that I have the large nozzle on head 2 so part of this didn't place and some of the 10k's are off since it was placing with too large of a nozzle. The first step is to get the pick coordinates set up for the tape you are using. That is pretty easy once you get the concept of navigating and testing the positions. So far I am very pleased. This is quite a step above the 240 machine.

I really like the rotational accuracy of the resistors. When I was working for Gerber back in the 80's, 45 degree was the cat's meow.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    edited 2015-06-28 10:23
    Publison wrote: »
    I really like the rotational accuracy of the resistors. When I was working for Gerber back in the 80's, 45 degree was the cat's meow.

My own experience with Gerber resistErs was when the twins as infants would spit out their peas & carrots.
    edited 2015-07-01 23:59
    I made a custom PCB mount today, similar to what I had on the other machine.  1/4 acrylic.  I drill a hole pattern with a CNC for the various boards.  Then put a 6-32 set screw in the hole and the board sits on it.  I milled holes for 6 of the round magnets they provide, and sanded off the point on them.  I will glue the magnets into the acrylic, although it is not really needing glue.

This machine kicks butt.  They added a lot of nice upgrades to the software.
    640 x 480 - 84K
    640 x 480 - 56K
    640 x 480 - 106K
    640 x 480 - 129K
  • Hey Guys !

I'm super excited today, having ordered the TM245P from Haimi. Now is the tough bit- waiting for delivery. But I'm really glad you've posted so much helpful information, and I'm looking forward to sharing some shots of my first production!

All the best!
    Michael.

• tonyp12tonyp12 Posts: 1,950
    edited 2015-07-02 23:51
    As to make the delivery go smooth:
    DHL called me when it had arrived at USA hub for my company EIN number. as NeoDen did not ask for it to be on export papers so answer all phone calls in the next week as missing/screening them could put a delay for a few days. And pay the duty online before they attempt to delivery to your address.
    It's is very heavy, though putting the box its side is not recommended is pretty safe to do as it's bolted down.

• I have now ordered 2 systems and never experienced DHL calling me or duties.
    edited 2015-07-02 23:57
    Did you order them as private person? it's not fair I had to pay $185 duty and you not.

• I just sent and email and said sell me the machine.  It was paid by my company checking account via wire but we never discussed anything about company or private etc.

edited 2015-07-03 00:09
    Did you include company name on the shipping address?
    I included both personal and company name as shipping address.(home based)
    I never told NeoDen to declare it as a company to company sale specifically.
  • Thanks for the tips Tony. I will keep an eye on the DHL tracking number when I get that, and try to push the tax-paying process along if it comes about.

I'm sure it will, but I already included my company tax code on the Neo invoice. I'm expecting to pay around 2000 usd taxes (27%) at the border, plus whatever the customs admin fees are (probably 5% on that value). Although I can offset the 27% at the end of the next vat quarter, so not such a big cost in the end.

Still- the whole process is a bit scary. I'll be much happier when the box is in my garage, and the full extent of the yet-unknown shipping process and charges have been dealt with!

I do hope I will have a nice experience to report !!

• VonSzarvasVonSzarvas Posts: 3,291
    edited 2015-07-11 15:50
    Just arrived. Paid the courier driver 656,461 HUF (Hungarian Forints) import fees... That's about 2400 USD.  Although most of that is our 27% VAT, so will be reclaimed over a few months.

Here's a quick photo...  will post more later. Sadly the next few days are already busy.... oh temptation !!!

640 x 480 - 59K
  • Hey Guys... one question....

When you order your stencils... what size frame, or specs of frame, do you order ? I've only had laser-cut stainless-steel sheet stencils before (so no frame). But looks like I need a framed stencil to go in the stencil printer ?

• order the size frame needed to fit the parts.  you should not be using a non framed stencil unless it is a one off proto and you are on a very tight budget. 
  • I just ordered the TM245P standard (plan to order kit to make it Advance later)

Free stencil-jig and oven in lien of the $400 discount, but bundle saves $600

Total with shipping $6589

Paid online using BankofAmerica, their safepass code (a sms to your phone) lets you do over $5000

The wire fee was $45 and I could not see an option to slowing it down to 1-3 days with a lower fee being available, as it says same day wire transfer after I paid.

Haimi's English is very good, she said they have been doing trade shows and are low on stock so it will take 3days to build and send.

I plan to make many various breakout boards for Propeller and sell to you guys.

Tony, can you please keep us updated on your progress.  I would love to see it all works for you.  Maybe some day I will have enough work to start looking for one.  Looks so cool!!
    edited 2015-07-12 19:16
    Tony, can you please keep us updated on your progress.

You can see in the previous post, I put a youtube video up and created a diptrace-csv-spreadsheet-converter.
    I wish there was a 1hr video (not in broken English 2minute videos neoden have now) that goes through the all the steps as I'm still learning how to use it a month later.

Ordered 4 of the 5x5 and 2 of the 8x10 stencil frames ($120) from this guy
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOT-20-SMT-Printed-Circuit-Board-PCB-Stencil-Frames-Rotary-Silk-Screen-5-x-5-/121682407437?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c54d6300d
    I tape the oschstencil the a window I cut out, someday I will try a full-size stainless steel stencil, though not sure how to attached it to these frames.

got some old stock reels from ebay,http://www.ebay.com/itm/400930136306?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
    y3psTso-SsVAxNEgYq2dryKcWT7qajtIPKepWdXC1yav19vWEQs_gLXrsRnWun_MD7HUbB7eV4TvgG5M9b5kZkN0Yb_xovI5HWASoeoFsd0G_tLaro5GBig4X9i6k1aDujBxrtpPbWhWYcjqV1fgcWwuQ

• Tony,  list what you want to figure out and I'll make a vid to show the steps. 
    edited 2015-07-12 16:23
    I really want a Hollywood quality video (eg a 5K budget) showing everything from replacing the fuse on the back as it when I plugged in the cord on while power switch was on it blew and I did not know where to start and I did you know there was a spare one inside that plastic holder.
    I want the pictures of 0603,0806, sot23 & tsop16 tape that comes in the part datasheet to be transposed with  boxes and lines to the x1,y1,x2,y2, feedrate etc. and why would head-two not be using the same numbers?

Feedrate is that the hole distance?, but some bigger parts have 4mm hole distance but parts are at 8mm apart so should you then use 8mm? (yes), but what hole then if it's 2 to choose from.
    Trays, how to set those numbers up.
    Make it 45minute long and I watch it twice and I should be ready to go without ever looking at the manual again.
    I know that if I tinker with it for a few days I probably can figure it out, but 100's people should not have to do that individually as that is a waste of intellectual brain power.
    edited 2015-07-12 16:40
    If parts are 8mm apart, use 8000  not 4000.

Feed rate is the speed it pushes the tape.  Too fast and the parts may pop out. Use slower feedrate on larger parts that are rather loose in the tape.

For tray,  that is no different than using a tape,  except you go to the position at top right.  I made my own custom tray to put parts in.  You can put in 5 separate tray pick up positions.  But, you can also define an array of parts in a tray by setting XY distances for the array.  Pretty simple to set up. 

As for part calibration, just set to 1 instead of 0.  Then put in the length and width of the outside dimensions of the part in the chip XY,  when the machine goes to place the part,  it will first go to the box and hit the chip on all sides and square it up.  Works nicely. 

If I were you, I'd make a file with only one chip to place,  then experiment by changing the tray,  also test the calibration to make the chip get aligned. 

640 x 480 - 67K
    edited 2015-07-12 17:23
    dgdl?folderId=db3a30431936bc4b0119532290053c66&fileId=db3a30431936bc4b0119532eb9ef3c7f
    I want a video that shows how these numbers above translates in to the csv data that it needs.
    Preferable with a BBC/Topgear/discovery channel/national geographic style, where numbers are lifted off the page.
    Static images/text is not recorded in my brain by moving once are.

• You don't need any of that.  4 is 4000, which is default feed.  The height really doesn't matter on that part.  Leave it alone.  Go to the stack number in the file.   Press Locate for the small nozzle.   Press right or left to line up the nozzle on top of the part.  You can touch inside the number for the X and Y to select what resolution the up/down/left/right buttons will move in increments of.  Once you get the nozzle centered, press OK and it will store the position to file. Very simple stuff. 
    edited 2015-07-12 19:16
    Why eye-balling it when the numbers are right there?, they must be transferable somehow.

P.S and yes I do need all that as your text just barely gets me a complete grasp.
    Discovery channel style imprinting, I was like that a decade before that channel was on air so they did not spoil me,
    they just know how.
    When a company have reached a 1million in sales (I guess NeoDen have) I expect perfections even on instructions videos.
  • This one could be a good "project" for someone. Or at least the foundation of a good XY table.
    http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=271930756842&alt=web
  • Hey guys!

Have any of you noticed the TM245P tape "peel box" feeders failing to feed properly ?

I found some that only work properly when pressing down on the feed wheel. It's like the spring is not holding the top wheel down hard/tight enough.

There's about 4 or 5 on the left side (not tried the back positions yet) that are sketchy.

Seems like too many to be a random fault, so wondered if anyone else faced and resolved this.

The white plastic making up the box sides seems to slightly impact the smooth return of the sprung wheel. A slight rubbing. Perhaps they are not finished perfectly- I thought of going over with some fine emery cloth, although accessibility to the inner-top area is not great. I also wondered if these things need oiling time-by-time ?

Any advice?

• There is a Torque value to set for each stack (default 80) if you feel it is not pulling the tape.
    But is it slipping?
  • Thanks Tony- Interesting... yes I've now found that 'peel torque' setting- I will run a test and look closely if the tape is slipping or not.

I've also been setting up some of the stack offsets today.
    Funny how the defaults seem to have head1 and head2 with different Y offset values. I get why the X is different if that reflects the nozzle spacing, but not the Y.

I spotted you also pondered on this matter too!
    I want the pictures of 0603,0806, sot23 & tsop16 tape that comes in the part datasheet to be transposed with boxes and lines to the x1,y1,x2,y2, feedrate etc. and why would head-two not be using the same numbers?

Not really got my head around it yet. Maybe tomorrow.

edited 2016-03-04 01:58
    I had to bump up the peel torque on some reels, I think once I swapped out with one of the spares they include. Once set, I don't have problems. The exception is sometimes a splice in celophane sticks on the takeup gears.