Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Wireless Key Fob Remote issue — Parallax Forums

Wireless Key Fob Remote issue

TheGrueTheGrue Posts: 114
edited 2014-02-10 07:26 in Accessories
I recently purchased a Wireless Key Fob Remote and had it working on my PPD Board for several minutes with D1 connected to a 10K resistor and then to the Propeller pin. The same wiring with the D2-->10K-->Propeller Pin. I had it working for the two main buttons to change the settings of a servo. now after some use all I get is a Red constant LED and I noticed that one of the chips is overheating. Any ideas what could have caused this? Wrong resistor? Mind you I am rusty on my Ohm's Law. Did I fry it?

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2014-01-21 11:58
    John,

Do you have an complete wiring diagram for how you connected everything?
  • TheGrueTheGrue Posts: 114
    edited 2014-01-21 21:50
    Here is the Schematic.
    Key Fob Remote Schematic.PNG
    683 x 636 - 13K
    edited 2014-01-22 09:22
    Based on your wiring diagram I don't see anything that would have caused the issue. If a chip on the receiver overheated it may be damaged though. Perhaps a loose wire? Your resistors are higher value than they need to be so that's not the issue.
  • TheGrueTheGrue Posts: 114
    edited 2014-01-22 21:22
    I hooked up just the VCC and GND to my PPDB and took a temperature reading.
    Temperature.PNG

Pretty hot to touch. Reading in Fahrenheit. Oh and the laser pointer is off at this close of range. The reading is from this chip:
    Key Fob hot chip.PNG
    985 x 774 - 2M
    756 x 592 - 1M
    edited 2014-01-23 09:12
    Send an e-mail to support at parallax dot com with your purchase information (customer number or our invoice number and name). We'll have you send that unit in for testing/replacement.
  • justpherejustphere Posts: 4
    edited 2014-02-08 11:40
    if you don't mind I have a couple of questions for you that you can answer to help me with an idea. Is that the 700-10016 key fob that is found on MicroController Pros website? http://microcontrollershop.com/product_info.php?products_id=5913&gclid=CM-4s6agvbwCFZPm7AodRGUAJg
    If so, have you gotten it to work without overheating again? I saw on the manufacture specs that the unit works up to 250' line of site. Have you ever seen how far this remote's maximum range is?
    edited 2014-02-08 11:43
    sorry for sounding like a retard but I didn't know that Parallax made that remote key fob.....
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2014-02-08 11:49
    justphere wrote: »
    sorry for sounding like a retard but I didn't know that Parallax made that remote key fob.....

Parallax does not make the item, but resells it.

Please ask more questions if you are having trouble with the product.

BTW: Welcome to the forums!
    edited 2014-02-10 07:26
    I'm not having any issues with the product but I'm doing some research for a project. I want to assemble a device that would recieve two signals from the key fob remote. One input for shutdown and One input for reset and multiple outputs (>8) to control a relays (<12VDC coil @ 2A contact). I'm pretty new to all of this and I'm trying to figure out the parts and pieces that I need. What controller would be best suited for this project since I only need 2 inputs and 1 output. I have a BS2 homework board and a PPD Board so I have some hardware to start. I'm new to controller programming but I have completed the projects that were withing "What is a Micro Controller" so I know just enough to get me by.