Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Race Bib Logger using Parallax boards — Parallax Forums

Race Bib Logger using Parallax boards

PropGuy2PropGuy2 Posts: 358
edited 2013-11-27 16:24 in Robotics
The RaceDay© Race Bib Logger is designed to be used as both the primary and secondary scoring backup for small to medium foot race events. The race bib logger is durable and water proof, and is field tested to provide years of maintenance free operation. It allows the operator an easy-to-use start up interface, yet is full featured.

Key Specifications are listed below:
Standard Features.
1. Compatible with all scoring systems.
2. Uses CSV format for race data storage.
3. Permanent storage of 1000’s of events.
4. Durable enclosure is water proof.
5. Ten (10) hour battery usage.
6. USB pen drive for data down load & backup.
7. Race Clock start time is programmable.
8. Accurate 24 Hour local time clock.
9. Power supply, pen drive, carrying bag included
10.Owner’s manual: print & down load copy.

Electrical.
1. Standard 12 volt DC operation.
2. Power input is polarity protected.
3. Power ON self test.
4. LED power indicator.
5. Long life Lithium-Ion batteries.
6. Touch keypad for data entry.
7. High contrast LCD display, even in sunlight.
8. Built-in “fuel gauge” battery status.
9. Multi-core low power microprocessor for exceptional reliability.

The RaceDay Race Bib Logger has a full featured Menu selection that allows the operator to set all the timing parameters and clocks. Standard features include: a temperature compensated crystal controlled clock, Lithium-Ion battery pack with built-in charging circuitry and a bar graph “fuel gauge” usage display, internal SD-card memory for saving 1000’s of race events, user manual stored in memory, and all stored race event data can be down loaded to a USB pen drive.

The race bib logger comes complete with all the cables, wall-type power supply, carrying bag, extra USB pen drives, and owner’s manual. If the owner’s manual is ever needed in the field, a copy can down-loaded from the internal SD card to any pen drive for viewing.
See the attached Race Bib Logger owner’s manual and photos -

Parallax parts used:
Prop Project Board USB.....pn 32810.B
Memory Stick Datalogger...pn 27937
4x20 Serial LCD, backlit.....pn 27979
Li-Ion Power Pack, full.......pn 28989
Micro SD card holder..........pn 452-10017

Web purchases:
Touch Keypad- ETT............Futurlec /Hong Kong
CarryTec enclosure.............OKW Enclosures /Germany
Power wall-wart,12vDC......Digi-Key /China
Slide Switch, On-Off............Digi-Key /China
Carrying bag........................Harbor Freight /China
LDO 5v0 chip.......................Digi-Key /China
Various components............Digi-Key /China

Custom daughter PCB.........ExpressPCB (see photo)
DS-3234, RTCC(SPI)...........Maxim Integrated
MCP-3208, 8-ADC(SPI).......Microchip Technology
SN75468 Driver IC..............Texas Instruments
CR2032 Coin cell & holder..Digi-Key /China

About half of the SPIN code that I wrote was from the OBEX forums. In all cases it was thoroughly analyzed and extensively revised for optimization for this application. The balance of the SPIN code was original. The Propeller chip memory is pretty well maxed out.

That being said, it became increasingly more difficult to add, and then test, more features as the memory was nearing maximum. Fortunately, once a specific function module was written and passed all the tests I could give it, the code never had to be changed again. This allowed me to add more features to the project without worrying about interactions between modules.

I like feature rich code. Not only do I now have a fantastic library of function modules, I can easily mix and match the modules to adapt to new projects in the future. And that is exactly what I am doing. The next tag-along project is a 900MHz RFID inventory system, and a large format digital race clock / scoreboard.