Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Programming Propellers from iPad - Page 18 — Parallax Forums

Programming Propellers from iPad

1121314151618»

Comments

• Stephen MoracoStephen Moraco Posts: 303
    edited 2014-03-19 17:43
    Don M wrote: »
    I'm curious as to what app you are using to communicate with the BLE112?

Don, I'm a freelance iOS developer so I've written my own app for iPhone/iPad to talk directly with the BLE112 radio on my hardware... Lot's of fun! I'll be posting more project details in a seperate thread over the next couple of days... "Watch this space!" ;-) The underpinnings of my app making it much more simple to build such apps will be available from GitHub in the near future and Prop side objects will be appearing the OBEX, too!

Here are a couple of screen shots from my test app:

Screenshot 2014.03.11 18.17.52.png
    Screenshot 2014.03.11 18.17.33.png

-Stephen, KZ0Q
    edited 2014-03-19 17:48
    Ken,

Good to hear about the router! (And, yes we have talked of such in the past. good memory!!)

You might want to have your iPad developers checkout the Dropbox-Sync-API it will let you upload files from dropbox allowing you to use Dropbox as an alternative to email for transporting the binary files! I've used this in apps I have in the app store to great success!

-Stephen, KZ0Q
  • dgatelydgately Posts: 1,621
    edited 2014-03-19 18:16
    Has anybody worked thru the feasibility of building a "BLE PropPlug"? This would be on one end the BLE radio (eg., BLE112 fm BlueGiga) and on the other a 4-wire propPlug interface? In the middle we would have a propeller handing/translating BLE interaction. If this could be made to work it would facilitate the use of many prop development boards and would allieviate the need for redirection of the WiFi hardware on the iPad allowing it to stay connected with email and services like dropbox during the programming effort. There is of course the issue of how would the BLE PropPlug powered? is it sufficient to draw power from the target or must it have it's own power?

Stephen, sounds like fun! I had also gotten communications between iOS devices and a BLE-equiped prop. Here's a link to my thread (2 projects): iOS to Propeller programming proof-of-concept

One app uses the openspin compiler to build prop objects. Of course, any chance of releasing a compiler via the AppStore for iOS is probably futile, but it was a good exercise.

The other app is a controller for an ActivityBot, that allows RC-type control of the bot. Commands are sent via Bluetooth LE to a XBee-style HM-10 Bluetooth adapter. Basically, I solder the HM-10 BT device to an HS-06 Bluetooth XBee adapter (I desolder the HS-06 BT 2.0 device and re-solder the MH-10 BLE device)...

Good to see someone taking this further as I've been busy with other projects (PropellerIDE, for one). I've had these projects on-hold, but will be working on them soon...

dgately
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2014-03-19 20:36
    Ken,

Good to hear about the router! (And, yes we have talked of such in the past. good memory!!)

You might want to have your iPad developers checkout the Dropbox-Sync-API it will let you upload files from dropbox allowing you to use Dropbox as an alternative to email for transporting the binary files! I've used this in apps I have in the app store to great success!

-Stephen, KZ0Q

Hey Stephen, absolutely - seems they're already aware of this possibility and indeed, it provides a better solution for getting source code into an iPad. Thanks for the tip!

Ken Gracey
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2014-03-19 20:39

Here are a couple of screen shots from my test app:

Screenshot 2014.03.11 18.17.52.png
    Screenshot 2014.03.11 18.17.33.png

-Stephen, KZ0Q

I get the idea from the screenshots. BTLE was brought up many times in this thread and seems to be even easier to use than WiFi, especially for smaller amounts of data. It's been great to see some more iOS developers come out of the woodwork since we started discussing this possibility.

Ken Gracey
  • Don MDon M Posts: 1,647
    edited 2014-03-20 08:50
    In the news post from Ken I see that the plans are already using Wireless. Cool!

I thought I'd float another idea which has different sideeffects than the wireless.

Has anybody worked thru the feasibility of building a "BLE PropPlug"? This would be on one end the BLE radio (eg., BLE112 fm BlueGiga) and on the other a 4-wire propPlug interface? In the middle we would have a propeller handing/translating BLE interaction. If this could be made to work it would facilitate the use of many prop development boards and would allieviate the need for redirection of the WiFi hardware on the iPad allowing it to stay connected with email and services like dropbox during the programming effort. There is of course the issue of how would the BLE PropPlug powered? is it sufficient to draw power from the target or must it have it's own power?

FYI- one of my current PropBLE boards might be able serve as a prototype (for the "it has it's own power" case) for this "BLE PropPlug".

Thanks for considering and commenting!

(I've attached my Schematics for reference... just ignore the LED string driver parts ;-)

-Stephen, KZ0Q

Stephen- I see you have a 10 way jack for programming the BLE112. Question- have you re-programmed the BLE112 using this socket and can it be done "wirelessly" as well?
    edited 2014-03-20 15:54
    Stephen- I see you have a 10 way jack for programming the BLE112. Question- have you re-programmed the BLE112 using this socket and can it be done "wirelessly" as well?

Don, I'm not aware of any means to reprogram this radio over-the-air (OTA.) I think there is some material at the BlueGiga site about some form of OTA programming but I haven't explored it. If yuo check it out, let me know what you find as well? ;-)

-Stephen, KZ0Q
  • Don MDon M Posts: 1,647
    edited 2014-03-20 16:23
    Don, I'm not aware of any means to reprogram this radio over-the-air (OTA.) I think there is some material at the BlueGiga site about some form of OTA programming but I haven't explored it. If yuo check it out, let me know what you find as well? ;-)

-Stephen, KZ0Q

Did you do any reprogramming to the module?
    edited 2014-03-21 02:47
    Did you do any reprogramming to the module?

Don, I neglected to answer that part of your question, didn't i... my bad. Yes, I had to program the radio (using the 10-pin header and the CC-Debugger hardware which you can see in the one picture I posted earlier in this thread.) in order to define the "services" and "characteristics within each service" for the device on the other side of the propeller - in this case a bit-addressable LED Matrix (3-meters of LEDs in a 10x9 matrix). On one hand it looks more like an art project but it's a fairly rich environment for experimenting with BLE and all its capabilities. I'll be posting much more detail about the project in it's own thread shortly. FYI- Every feature shown in the schematic is tested and working including the 10-pin programming/debug header for BLE112 configuration/reprogramming.

-Stephen , KZ0Q