Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BS2 and Xbee Help... — Parallax Forums

BS2 and Xbee Help...

jmoyajmoya Posts: 4
edited 2013-10-12 19:31 in Accessories
Hi guys...

I'm newbie... i have a 1 BS2 (home work) + 1 Xbee (Serie 1) + 1 Xbee explorer regulared (not usb) ...

I connected BS2 with PC via serial, and it's no problem... but i want receive some message from xbee... and i don't receive...

xbee regulated connect pin... DIN <->PIN 14 ... DOUT-> PIN 15 --- 5.5 <-> VDD --- GND <->VSS .. (xbee light red on)..

i used DebugSIMPLE.bs2 (attached) ..
when i see Terminal in X-CTU software... i can't see nothing...

I did something wrong???

Regards...

sorry for my english... i speak spanish....

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2013-10-10 10:16
    What is the XBee Explorer Regulated? Do you have a link to this product or its data sheet?
  • jmoyajmoya Posts: 4
    edited 2013-10-10 10:22
    What is the XBee Explorer Regulated? Do you have a link to this product or its data sheet?

Product Link... http://www.olimex.cl/product_info.php?products_id=586

A
    lso.... when i press XCTU show me... this...
    Captura.JPG
    423 x 460 - 47K
    edited 2013-10-10 12:29
    Do you only have one XBee Module? Two are required to send/receive data.

One thing that concerns me greatly about this product is that the page you linked states this product translates signals from 5V down to 3.3V, but the linked schematic doesn't show any circuitry that does this, nor does the board appear to have more than a regulator and the 4 LEDs and resistors. If you're putting 5V into a 3.3V XBee module it could be damaged. They are not 5V tolerant.

P.S. - If you're more familiar with Spanish you can reply in that and I will use Google Translate. :thumb:
    edited 2013-10-10 15:30
    There's no problem with voltage.... My problem is tha i can't communicate with xbee throught BS2...
    edited 2013-10-10 16:27
    I think you misunderstand what I mean about voltage. The XBee may be getting 3.3V just fine, but the signals you're sending to the XBee from the BASIC Stamp Module are too high for the I/O pins on the XBee Module itself and could damage it (if not damaged already). The XBee Adapter Board you're using does not appear to translate the I/O pin voltages as it claims.
    edited 2013-10-11 12:08
    I think you misunderstand what I mean about voltage. The XBee may be getting 3.3V just fine, but the signals you're sending to the XBee from the BASIC Stamp Module are too high for the I/O pins on the XBee Module itself and could damage it (if not damaged already). The XBee Adapter Board you're using does not appear to translate the I/O pin voltages as it claims.

You say that Xbee (modem) use 3.3V ... the BS2 connect to Xbee Adapter giving 5V ... and the Xbee Adapter converts 5V to 3.3V to Xbee... so i think that voltage is correct... Xbee adapter card is sold for that purpose

Finally.. if my module was damage.... anyway i wanna know how to connect xbee (S1) without a module explorer usb to BS2...

Thank you so much Mr.Savage for your answers...
  • GenetixGenetix Posts: 1,747
    edited 2013-10-11 14:00
    Parallax sells an XBee Wireless Kit (32440) that has everything you would need and Radio Shack has it on clearance for $19.99 (SKU# 276-122).
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2013-10-11 17:31
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2013-10-12 19:31
    jmoya wrote: »
    You say that Xbee (modem) use 3.3V ... the BS2 connect to Xbee Adapter giving 5V ... and the Xbee Adapter converts 5V to 3.3V to Xbee... so i think that voltage is correct... Xbee adapter card is sold for that purpose

Finally.. if my module was damage.... anyway i wanna know how to connect xbee (S1) without a module explorer usb to BS2...

That's simply not the case.
    That board (olimex/sparkfun) supplies 3V for the XBee to operate from, but it does not make for any level conversion (5v-to-3V). You could make a voltage divider from the BS2 serial output pin (whichever you choose) using a 2.2K and a 3.3K resistor.

PE) Uh-Oh!

The picture at the olimex site (above) looks like the Sparkfun "XBee Explorer Regulated" and that does have level-shifting circuitry.
    https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11373
    BUT, the olimex site points to a Sparkfun page PDF schematic that is not the board shown (which has no "level shifting") - hence this confusion. That's their error.

Your chosen serial out pin should go to the XBee DIN pin (once it has been "level shifted"). The XBee DOUT pin can go directly goes to the BS2 chosen serial in pin.