Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Radiant 3D Printer on Kickstarter uses P8X32A - Page 3 — Parallax Forums

Radiant 3D Printer on Kickstarter uses P8X32A

13»

Comments

• KevinHKevinH Posts: 25
    edited 2013-10-14 08:52
    Wow, this is a little shocking. I just discovered it as I was about to contribute to the kickstarter. I'm sure you guys can figure out how to deal with the voxelated look, but it may require a more traditional software approach in addition to the way that Li works.

I still think your controller approach with 4-8 extruders is a big deal and that the scanner is awesome too. After working on it a bit, please consider returning to the kickstarter or other approach. It sure would be great to see the lionhead printer

Thanks for the kind words. We're still very excited for 4-8 extruder 3D printers with scanning and are keeping our options open for the future. In the short term, we're doing some work on Li that should address some common concerns (such as STL exporting) that will help us keep moving forward so we can offer the Lionhead again.
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,253
    edited 2013-10-14 09:33
    Excellent news. I look forward to seeing what you guys come up with.

I second the call to keep after it. You showed some notable and distinctive thinking. There is a niche there for you IMHO. Only needs the work to get done.
  • CuriousOneCuriousOne Posts: 931
    edited 2013-10-14 12:01
    My sub $5000 CNC has 5 micron mechanical precision. When 3D printers will have same, for the same price, and they will be able to output something as strong as polycarbonate?
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2013-10-14 14:57
    CuriousOne wrote: »
    My sub $5000 CNC has 5 micron mechanical precision. When 3D printers will have same, for the same price, and they will be able to output something as strong as polycarbonate?

Not really a fair comparison. As I understand it a 3D printer has to move fast to get the next layer down while before the previous layer cools too much. I think it's easier to position something (a CNC milling machine) very rigid and slow (in comparison) than it is to position something (3D printer) light and fast.

For what it's worth, lack of ABS printing ability was a deal breaker for me.
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2013-10-14 20:09
    Supposedly two start Acme threads are fast enough for a 3D printer, and rigid and precise enough for a CNC. But they're expensive compared to belts.
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    edited 2013-10-14 20:48
    I think the limiting factor for resolution is the size of the nozzle rather than the mechanics. Currently a .40mm nozzle laying down .10mm layers is the best I can get. I do have a .30mm nozzle but have not had much success with it.
  • CuriousOneCuriousOne Posts: 931
    edited 2013-10-15 13:16
    And the chemistry and physics will be our limitation in 3D printing something nicely looking and durable. I simply can't imagine 3D printer "printing" with melted steel, for example :)
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2013-10-15 13:27
    CruiousOne wrote:
    I simply can't imagine 3D printer "printing" with melted steel, for example.
    However, Direct Metal Laser Sintering is already a reality.

-Phil
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    edited 2013-10-15 14:20
    And the chemistry and physics will be our limitation in 3D printing something nicely looking and durable. I simply can't imagine 3D printer "printing" with melted steel, for example :)

The Chinese have printed a wing spar out of titanium.

http://www.3ders.org/articles/20130118-3-meter-long-titanium-airplane-part-3d-printed-in-one-piece.html

attachment.php?attachmentid=104414&d=1381871980
    300 x 210 - 26K
  • tonyp12tonyp12 Posts: 1,950
    edited 2013-10-16 09:56
    Elon Musk have a titanium 3D Printer
    http://youtu.be/xNqs_S-zEBY?t=2m57s
  • jonesjones Posts: 281
    edited 2013-10-16 12:51
    That sort of mechanical accuracy in a 3D printer isn't likely to buy you much when you think about how much the cooling plastic will move. Consider that polycarbonate has a coefficient of thermal expansion of 65-70 x 10^-6/K. It melts at about 155 deg C. So in round figures, that's a 130 deg C (same as K) change from when it comes out of the nozzle until it reaches room temperature. 130 x (65 x 10^-6) = 0.008. That's units per unit so it's 0.008 millimeters (8 microns) per millimeter and the larger the part, the bigger the problem. AFAIK there's no way around that.

Edit: this is referring to plastic extrusion printers, not the sort of beast Musk has. Money may not be able to buy happiness, but it can buy some pretty incredible toys.
  • ChromeChrome Posts: 2
    edited 2013-10-24 00:48
    Looks good so far. I was just looking into buying a Rep2X from Makerbot. Any options to switch over to ABS ? I noticed on one of the pictures on the kickstart one of the older prototypes looked like heating coils in the bay ? With all the extruders do they heat up separately or all at once. Power savings ? If they all heat up is there a purge ? The Rep2x has some issues with only using one extruder and the other one sitting idle and burning filament and clogging. Is it a gcode interpreter that runs on the prop ? So is it STL to Radiant,Radiant to gcode,gcode to controller ? If so is there a option to run gcode off of a SD card? Or do you have to leave the PC plugged in ? I really like the scanner being built in. Nice feature !!
  • Hi, I happen to have a Bunny printer with the minecraft style interface. As noted above the results are quite minecraft blocky. Is there other software that will interface with the controller board available to use? Octoprint? It seems this discussion sorta died out... but any help would be appreciated. Thank you.