Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Dunno, Davis — Parallax Forums

Dunno, Davis

ercoerco Posts: 20,255
edited 2013-08-31 09:25 in Robotics
Moving along on square wheels. Not sure about this one. Different ain't always better. A sofa bed is neither a good sofa nor a good bed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qxx7K17L_8

Comments

• mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2013-08-25 07:06
    If it's so intelligent, you think it wold have been able to figure out round wheels.

The ways it uses the articulation is impressive and worth trying to duplicate.

I wonder if the same can be done with a round wheel on a similar design? Hmmmmm....maybe that would be IMPOSSIBLE!!!
  • ajwardajward Posts: 1,129
    edited 2013-08-25 07:19
    Interesting design. I can appreciate the mechanics of the beastie, but wonder if they have an application in mind?

An improvement might be triangular wheels... that would eliminate one bump! ;-)

Yes, yes... 'tis early and I haven't had quite enough caffeine.

Amanda
  • doggiedocdoggiedoc Posts: 2,239
    edited 2013-08-25 07:22
    ajward wrote: »
    An improvement might be triangular wheels... that would eliminate one bump! ;-)
    I was thinking octagonal instead. More but smoother bumps and still could align "square" with the body for other modes.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2013-08-25 07:24
    mindrobots wrote: »
    Hmmmmm....maybe that would be IMPOSSIBLE!!!

Confound you, Rick. Achieving this and proving you wrong will now become the object of my fixation!

Actually I have used triangular wheels to good effect previously on Wastebot. Novel, yes. Better, no.
  • GenetixGenetix Posts: 1,748
    edited 2013-08-30 16:01
    Typical ME (Mechanical Engineer) design but it works.
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    edited 2013-08-30 21:16
    Genetix wrote: »
    Typical ME (Mechanical Engineer) design but it works.

I would add "barely". Engineers and architects need to get out of their offices and look at the end result of their designs more often.
  • prof_brainoprof_braino Posts: 4,313
    edited 2013-08-31 09:25
    Better is a subjective term. It definitely moves in a bunch of cool ways, and is sufficient toget all of US talking.

Now, if the wheel plates had one or two more abilities... For example:
    - the plate contracts to be square and expands to be round
    - the plate grips another unit when presented int eh proper way, and releases when commanded a specific way.

Either or both f these would give a whole bunch of neet-o things to play with.

Did y'all see the electrically pulsed magnetic grab and release that was on kickstarter a couple weeks back? Uses no power except for the engage / disengage pulse? Put that on the wheel plate and we can watch these self assemble.

WHo can suggest an iris or something that can morph the small square plates into large round wheels?