Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Scratch built EDDIE — Parallax Forums

Scratch built EDDIE

Danielamanda1Danielamanda1 Posts: 4
edited 2013-06-20 05:05 in Robotics
I built this EDDIE totally from scratch. I used a old Dell PC mother board, i scratched built the controller card using a 40 pin propeller chip. i have a 4.5 inch monitor up front, 5 12 volt batteries and i made a charger from the dell power supply.
1024 x 768 - 97K
1024 x 768 - 104K
1024 x 768 - 107K
1024 x 768 - 92K

Comments

• RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2013-06-18 19:11
    I'm surprised that no one else has responded yet about your project. Not that many people build their own boards anymore and I think this is the first hardwired Eddie robot that I've seen on the forums. Looks like you did a great job of getting everything together. Other than using a DIP version of the Propeller did you replicate most of the Eddie circuits for the H-Bridges, etc?

There were a couple different versions of the Eddie code out there. One for the early position controllers and then a later version for the higher resolution quadrature encoders. Do you have encoders on the main drive wheels and if so what version did you use?

Robert
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2013-06-18 20:00
    WOW! I missed this while traveling in China. Great job! Is she up and running yet?

WOW!
  • Danielamanda1Danielamanda1 Posts: 4
    edited 2013-06-19 03:04
    I'm surprised that no one else has responded yet about your project. Not that many people build their own boards anymore and I think this is the first hardwired Eddie robot that I've seen on the forums. Looks like you did a great job of getting everything together. Other than using a DIP version of the Propeller did you replicate most of the Eddie circuits for the H-Bridges, etc?

There were a couple different versions of the Eddie code out there. One for the early position controllers and then a later version for the higher resolution quadrature encoders. Do you have encoders on the main drive wheels and if so what version did you use?

Robert

Hello Robert,

I used ST VNH2SP30 30A Motor Driver for the H-Bridges, and replicated all of the other circuits. The encoders are the newer ones from Parallax, and i used the newer software. I want to add an arm to my Eddie soon. My arm is going to be scratched built also.

Danny
    edited 2013-06-19 03:06
    Yes, she is up and running..

Danny
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2013-06-19 08:40
    Great! Can't wait to see your Eddie and arm. Please share some video whenever you can. Scratchbuilt bots are the best!
  • RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2013-06-20 04:51
    How are you going to control the arm? Is if going to use the extra I/O of the Eddie board or are you going to use something like an extra USB controlled servo controller to handle it?
    edited 2013-06-20 05:05
    i am thinking of using the extra i/o from the Eddie board.