Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Audio mixing circuit — Parallax Forums

Audio mixing circuit

Mag748Mag748 Posts: 263
edited 2013-02-25 15:38 in Robotics
Hello,

I am experimenting with LTSpice and my own circuit design, and I would like to get some feedback. I attached a schematic of a circuit that I designed using some basic op amps and a 4066 CMOS switch. The purpose of the circuit is to switch on and off a differential audio signal and pass it to a summer. I plan to connect many of these together to have the ability to turn on and off any of the incoming audio signals and have the summation of all of them at the output. Running a simulation seems to tell me that the circuit is working as expected. If anyone has any feedback for ways I could improve the circuit, or even suggest a completely different approach would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Marcus

2ch Summer inverting 2.21.13c.pdf

Comments

• Mark_TMark_T Posts: 1,981
    edited 2013-02-21 16:30
    I would lose the RC network on the control inputs to the switches - these take a logic signal, not an analog signal.

Why have two resistors connected to the switch, one on input, one on output - these can be combined into one. You have an opamp stage
    between each switch and the summing amp - no need, summing junction will work happily direct from the switches.

You will have cracks/pops on switching since at the moment of switching the signal isn't necessarily zero - to switch softly you
    need to be more sophisticated and attentuate the signal gradually (there's probably a chip that can do that, but your idea
    with the RC network isn't going to hack I don't think - I wouldn't expect it to because of buffered logic input stages (check it on a breadboard at least).

The CD4066 itself has mediocre performance compared to modern analog switch chips, a modern version will have only a few
    ohms on-resistance and better linearity - there might be one with soft audio switching even!
  • Mag748Mag748 Posts: 263
    edited 2013-02-22 13:07
    Mark_T wrote: »
    I would lose the RC network on the control inputs to the switches - these take a logic signal, not an analog signal.

Why have two resistors connected to the switch, one on input, one on output - these can be combined into one. You have an opamp stage
    between each switch and the summing amp - no need, summing junction will work happily direct from the switches.

You will have cracks/pops on switching since at the moment of switching the signal isn't necessarily zero - to switch softly you
    need to be more sophisticated and attentuate the signal gradually (there's probably a chip that can do that, but your idea
    with the RC network isn't going to hack I don't think - I wouldn't expect it to because of buffered logic input stages (check it on a breadboard at least).

The CD4066 itself has mediocre performance compared to modern analog switch chips, a modern version will have only a few
    ohms on-resistance and better linearity - there might be one with soft audio switching even!

You make a good point regarding the 4066. I was thinking it would behave like the 4016, which does not have the buffered logic. I have tried simulating countless circuits using P-channel JFETs but have had no luck. The many sophisticated audio switching chips that I have found seem to have too many additional features and are too expensive. I really only need a very simple audio mute circuit to quickly (100-200mS) fade the audio so there are no pops/clicks.

I plan to have 24 input signals each with it's one mute circuit, so I am trying to keep component counts down and cost low.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
  • davejamesdavejames Posts: 4,047
    edited 2013-02-22 13:38
    Mag - check this out:

http://www.intersil.com/content/dam/Intersil/documents/fn31/fn3116.pdf

Parts of this type, and this one in particular I've used.

...oops! Realized you were looking for a way to mute - sorry.
    edited 2013-02-22 14:31
    davejames wrote: »
    Mag - check this out:

http://www.intersil.com/content/dam/Intersil/documents/fn31/fn3116.pdf

Parts of this type, and this one in particular I've used.

...oops! Realized you were looking for a way to mute - sorry.

Dave,

Thanks for the suggestion, I have looked into these types of switches/multiplexers. But the problem with these is that the switch time is instantaneous, so there would be a possibility of hearing a "pop/click" sound when the switch turned on or off. This is not acceptable for my application. I would need a way to slowly switch (fade) the audio.

Thanks,
    Marcus
    edited 2013-02-22 15:23
    Marcus - take a look at this mute circuit:

http://www.pic101.com/audiosw/index.html

I'm currently using a variation of it.
  • Mark_TMark_T Posts: 1,981
    edited 2013-02-23 15:18
    There's probably a way with a transconductance opamp too, he said dredging up old memories... They can make fairly good analog multipliers so ought to
    be able to mute?
    edited 2013-02-23 17:03
    Mark_T wrote: »
    There's probably a way with a transconductance opamp too, he said dredging up old memories... They can make fairly good analog multipliers so ought to
    be able to mute?

...yup. Commonly used are the LM13600/LM13700 devices. I've tinkered with them and they showed promise.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2013-02-23 18:16
    'Just guessing here, but I will bet that if you PWM the enable input of a 4066 at a high-enough rate and fade the duty cycle gradually, there will not be any audible pops or clicks.

-Phil
    edited 2013-02-24 19:52
    ...I like that idea! Gonna have to try it.
    edited 2013-02-25 07:45
    davejames wrote: »
    Marcus - take a look at this mute circuit:

http://www.pic101.com/audiosw/index.html

I'm currently using a variation of it.

Dear Dave,

Would you mind sharing your variation of the schematic and your component values? I have attempted simulating this circuit using LTSpice and have not had successful results. When simulating the circuit as described on that webpage, I get an output with a lot of DC component to the signal which I do not desire. See the attached schematic and image of my simulation.

This forum compresses the images I upload way too much, so a better version is on the second page of the attached PDF with the schematic.

Thanks,
    Marcus

FET AUDIO SWITCH citcuit.jpg
    Neatcircuits FET Switch 2.25.pdf
    edited 2013-02-25 08:34
    Mag748 wrote: »
    Dear Dave,

Would you mind sharing your variation of the schematic and your component values? I have attempted simulating this circuit using LTSpice and have not had successful results. When simulating the circuit as described on that webpage, I get an output with a lot of DC component to the signal which I do not desire. See the attached schematic and image of my simulation.

...sure - will do. It'll take a bit as my lab (and note access) is down for "house appraisal cleaning".

FYI - in the meantime (if you have the parts), build it and check the results against the Spice output.
  • tonyp12tonyp12 Posts: 1,950
    edited 2013-02-25 15:38
    how abou 6 of these?. they show how to DAISY-CHAINING them on page10.
    though at $16 a pop, better really wanting that pro grade
    http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/pga4311.pdf

8 channel, so only 3 of them needed. $14 a pop
    http://www.cirrus.com/en/pubs/proDatasheet/CS3308_F1.pdf

6channel for $4 a pop
    http://www.st.com/web/en/resource/technical/document/datasheet/CD00003197.pdf