Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BSA Robotics Merit Badge Mini Course Development — Parallax Forums

BSA Robotics Merit Badge Mini Course Development

Matt GillilandMatt Gilliland Posts: 1,406
edited 2013-09-30 06:39 in Robotics
​Hi everyone-

This thread is for discussing the development a Mini-course that is designed to inspire and encourage Boy Scouts who wish to earn their Robotics Merit Badge (RMB).

And more specifically, the course was instigated to assist would-be BSA Councilors to help Scouts work through
Section 4 of the Merit Badge Requirements:, entitled: "4. Design, build, program, test".

The course is based on the Parallax Boe-Bot robot. Although the Boe-Bot robot kit comes with a book ("Robotics with the Boe-Bot"), it may be somewhat daunting for many Scouts in its scope and detail. In fact, the kit and book combo is used in many classroom environments for a wide-ranging understanding of general electronics, problem solving, and programming methods.

The BSA Robotics Merit Badge's requirements (as far as the "hands-on" portion is concerned) are significantly less than what a Scout would learn by going through the entire Boe-Bot course.

Therefore, Parallax is currently developing a "mini-course" (still based upon the full Boe-Bot kit). We are targeting a release date of March 1, 2013, at least for the "first field trials".

The primary purpose of this course is to equip Merit Badge Councilors with enough knowledge to help a Scout successfully complete the requirements for Section 4 (above).

The secondary purpose is the hope that, after successful completion (receiving the Badge), that this would inspire Scouts to "dig deeper" into the worlds of electronics, mechatronics, and programming. "Diving deeper" is easy, because all the Scout has to do is "crack open" Robotics with the Boe-Bot - which is already included with the kit.

All thoughts and comments are welcome here - especially (but not limited to) would be Scout leaders, Merit Badge Councilors, etc.

-MattG

Comments

• Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2013-01-29 08:56
    This is a good idea. Many scout troops don't have Merit Badge Councilors who are knowledgeable enough in robotics to work with the scouts.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2013-01-29 11:09
    Is it true that "Plywood Robotics" is a completely different curriculum? :)

This is a great idea. I could be talked into becoming a counselor for the BSA, in spite of their other headline news.
  • bee_manbee_man Posts: 109
    edited 2013-01-29 19:36
    Great idea! I am a merit badge councilor for robotics. I have only had two boys do the robotics merit badge with me but there seems to be a big interest in our troop. A nice manual or power point would make teaching and learning more fun. I especially like to use the S2 GUI screen that shows all the sensors as if you were sitting inside the bot. Makes it easy to understand what the robot is actually "seeing".
  • prof_brainoprof_braino Posts: 4,313
    edited 2013-01-29 20:08
    We (Chicago Robotics Club, Chibots.org) looked into this when it first came out. We had a LOT of discussion on what section 4 means to BSA. We came to the conclusion that the word "Design" created a problem. BSA said, "they can't just buy a kit and build it and expect to earn the merit badge." This means that a Boe Bot kit in and of itself does not qualifiy. (Nor does any group of parts, as we found out).

So the hard part is "choose a task. ... Document this in an engineering notebook".

How do you coach a kid to choose a task? The kids, scout leader, mentor, or parent must do this (Chibots were prohibited from interacting with the kids without lengthy and expensive background checks, etc. We voted no to this expense). Normally, the parents etc are typically not engineers, and have no basis for providing guidance on a suitable task and set of goals for the project. So a bunch of effort was expended on drafting guidance to the mentors.

How do we teach "engineering note book"? Half the participants we hung up on format and structure, and the other half could not agree on content.

Because we (Chibots + BSA) could not get these two very important parts defined well, we did not do as well as such a group might. Our attempt was very early, but it came out as a text book example of what can go wrong, and what not to do. The goals, requirements, and criterion for success were not clear, and therefore were not achievable. It was very similar to professional projects with unclear goals, unclear requirements, and unclear criterion for success; our group of kids must think engineers are a bunch of simple loonies.

We tried to provide feedback, but we never found out if it was even received or understood, but no changes have been made to the BSA materials.

So if you can convey that the Boe-Bot it to be used for "something", and get the kids to select and record that something, you should have much better luck than we did.

Hopefully Parallax will have the resources, and get the feedback from BSA, to move this from a fairly nebulous set of statements to a clear, doable set of activities.

Since our attempt, other groups have had better success, hopefully you can build on their successes and avoid our mistakes.
  • Matt GillilandMatt Gilliland Posts: 1,406
    edited 2013-01-30 10:59
    Many scout troops don't have Merit Badge Councilors who are knowledgeable enough in robotics
    - that's exactly the challenge we face Martin :blank:

But we think it's possible. We can do this.
    -MattG
    edited 2013-01-30 12:31
    So the hard part is "choose a task. ... Document this in an engineering notebook".

Matt,

If you need any input from a councilors perspective let me know. The Boy Scout Merit Badge system, IMHO, has 2 goals fun and exposure. Do not try to over think the issues of choosing a task or creating an engineering notebook. It does not have to be a unique task. One of my scouts had his robot move to a cup and drop a ball into it, the other had his robot follow his flashlight beam around the room. Nothing special but it gave them some idea of how sensors and robots work.

As a former engineer I have seen an engineering "notebook" that was a napkin from a pizza joint. Several of us engineer's went out to lunch and two of the guys solved a pressing problem in the pizza place on a napkin. That napkin came back to the office with the solution scribbled on it, best "notebook" for that solution.

Jim
    edited 2013-01-30 12:44
    Hey all-
    So the hard part is "choose a task. ...
    Exactly right professor.
    How do you coach a kid to choose a task?
    Our initial approach (in a class that we'll be teaching here March 2 for complete "robotics councilor newbies") is focused on getting the councilor to think about variations that can be introduced at appropriate junctures in the Badge process.

For example, after the hardware is pot together and the basics (simple programming concepts) are covered, we introduce a really easy "Challenge" that (for example) has the scout figure out what value would cause the wheels to go faster? or what about reverse?

We then build on this with a "more challenging" challenge. However, we twist it such a way that the task would actually fix a real world problem (albeit on a really small scale).

Then armed with a little success, the councilor and scout can start playing the "what if game"...and this is where the councilor (armed with real-world knowledge) could suggest...

"Well, since we now know that different numbers make the robot go in a circle (or backwards, or whatever), how could you make the robot weave it's way out of a line of pylons?".

This course's intent is to inspire both the councilor and scout to start thinking about how to solve problems by "showing, weaning off, and then flying solo" with their own inspirational Challenges".

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it. :thumb: (at least until your fertile minds correct me)...

-MattG
    edited 2013-01-30 13:58
    If you need any input from a councilors perspective let me know.
    Hi Jim-
    absolutely! that's why this thread was created - to educate me :thumb: not necessarily you'all :-)
    As a former engineer I have seen an engineering "notebook" that was a napkin from a pizza joint. Several of us engineer's went out to lunch and two of the guys solved a pressing problem in the pizza place on a napkin. That napkin came back to the office with the solution scribbled on it, best "notebook" for that solution.

Ditto. Some of my best works were done on napkins and placemats too. Any and all comments and criticisms are welcome here - we want this to be effective, useful, and in compliance with what the intent BSA desires.
    -MattG
    edited 2013-01-30 20:24
    bee_man wrote: »
    As a former engineer I have seen an engineering "notebook" that was a napkin from a pizza joint.

[braino screams] AAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHH! [/screams]

This is exactly why they talk about engineering notebook. "Napkin" is BAD WAY. NO teach BAD WAY. BAD. NO. We have enough people that do engineering poorly.
    Several of us engineer's went out to lunch and two of the guys solved a pressing problem in the pizza place on a napkin. That napkin came back to the office with the solution scribbled on it, best "notebook" for that solution.

I saw the same thing. Six months later they lost the napkin (the guy actually blew his nose in it) and the entire project was lost. We all agreed this was pretty stupid, even for us, and we had to make another rule:

Napkins are great to START, but the idea here is to WRITE THE STUFF DOWN before Egbert over there blows his nose in it again.

Of course we may do what ever is appropriate for our needs, but please understand that this is not a bit of fluff we should ignore.
    edited 2013-01-31 05:59
    [braino screams] AAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHH! [/screams]

This is exactly why they talk about engineering notebook. "Napkin" is BAD WAY. NO teach BAD WAY. BAD. NO. We have enough people that do engineering poorly.

I agree, but it's all about FUN. This is not EE101. Like I said in an earlier post, the most helpful sensor learning tool I have found is that page in the S2 GUI. We need the same thing for the BOEBOT. Maybe it already exists and I have not seen it, but to see what the different sensors "see" really helps in understanding what they can do.

For the actual notebook 2 or 3 sheets of paper folded in half gives them 8-12 pages. Enough for the cover, description, task, some sketches, tests, code, results, and improvements. Meeting all the requirements.

I personally think it to restrictive but, you could have a PDF of the notebook pages to help some councilors get their boys organized.
    edited 2013-01-31 08:57
    Hey braino - you obviously have a brain the size of a planet- I don't. When I get an idea, it usually causes an immediate stack overflow. I gotta write it down pronto or the "world will never know" - and when there's only a napkin available, I'll use it. And later, if I realize that the idea was lousy, I can use the very same napkin for it's original intent - It's called recycling and re-use.

However, you've made your point.

I'm thinking that this will have a .pdf output format so that it can be printed out, filled in with chicken scratch notes on what the Scout has done during this (part 4) of the Badge, and then the Scout will make it a part of his full "official" engineering notebook.

like bee_said:
    you could have a PDF of the notebook pages
    What say ye? :smile:
    -MattG.
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2013-01-31 09:38
    The first order of business is to spell counselors properly: Merit Badge Counselors. :lol:

(One who counsels provides tutoring, teaching, and advice; one who councils is a leader of local government.)

My grandson is in the Scouts, and I've looked at the robotics Merit Badge materials. I'd have to say I'm not sure the average counselor would be able to provide much assistance unless he or she is already familiar with the concepts. The opportunity for failure is quite high, and that's never a good way to start.

Prof Braino once again nails it with his comment: "move this from a fairly nebulous set of statements to a clear, doable set of activities" Ditto, then double ditto.

I know there's a certain interest in having an open-ended curriculum, and that works okay for learning to tie knots. Ain't so good with something as complicated as programming a microcontrolled robot. So for this, I think a fairly concise and contained curriculum would be handy, so I lend my vote with the others to encourage this approach. Counselors -- and even some councilors -- would be able to assist their Scouts in a way that will foster a greater chance for success.

I also think the concept of the "challenge" might be challenging here. Scouts like to know their mentors have all the answers, so be sure it's a challenge with a result the counselors can rise to. I'd make the challenge(s) a little less daunting than the typical school environment, and in the counselor materials provide several different approaches Scouts might reasonably come up with. All challenges can be done in more than one way, and counselors don't want to look bad in front of their Troop for not knowing the right answers.

-- Gordon

edited 2013-01-31 11:26
    Scouts like to know their mentors have all the answers, so be sure it's a challenge with a result the counselors can rise to.
    True that. Perhaps two parts? One for the scout to go through with his Cownseller, and one for the Counselor alone? ("Teacher's version") This one would have some content beyond what the Scout would have, I don't know, just thinking out loud. Of course, the Boe-Bot book is always available for a Counselor to download for him/herself.. as it is for the scout as well.

-MattG
    edited 2013-01-31 19:06
    One thing to remember is that to be a merit badge counselor for a given subject you must meet one of three requirements.

"Be proficient in the merit badge subject by vocation, avocation, or special training."

Vocation - Is this subject in line with your job, business, or profession?

Avocation - Do you follow this subject as a hobby, having more than a "working knowledge" of the requirements?

Special Training - Do you have any special training or other qualifications for this subject.

Any robotics counselor should have a working knowledge of robotics. I think we need to develop materials (ie lesson plans) to aid the merit badge counselors to complete their task. I don't think it is reasonable to develop a program to make a Robotics Counselor.
  • WBA ConsultingWBA Consulting Posts: 2,934
    edited 2013-01-31 20:39
    Here's a suggestion; how about some 5 minute long video/slide shows covering basic robotic concepts? Key word being basic. Stay away from specific products or , etc, but cover topics such as:

Methods of Motion
    Mechanical Design
    Electronics/Microcontrollers
    Power Sources
    Obstacle Avoidance
    Software Programming

That list could be 30 minutes worth of education that would be a "Phase 1" of the program. Phase 2 could be a review of those same topics, but focus in on the BOE-Bot platform for each. In other words:

Continuous Rotation Servos and Wheels (Methods of Motion)
    Review and Assemble the BOE-Bot (Mechanical Design)
    Overview of the BASIC Stamp and BOE (Electronics/Microcontrollers)
    AA Battery holder, Li-Ion pack, rechargeable AAs, and battery precautions (Batteries/Power Sources)
    IR Xmt/Rcvr and Whiskers (Obstacle Avoidance)
    BASIC and BASIC Stamp Editor overview (Software Programming)

Phase 3 is putting everything into practice.

anyhow, just my 2 cents........
    edited 2013-02-01 07:31
    ;
    like bee_said:you could have a PDF of the notebook pages

-MattG.

Maybe also add an explanation of what goes on each section of the page, and examples of filled out pages.

One hopes to identify if the page contains high level idea, design elements, implementation elements, or test elements. One would ideally have only ONE of each items per pages (sorting out ten half idea to find one detail that was actually used is not fun).

Also, the engineering notebook is the solidified idea from the discussion, not the iterations and permutations of the discussion(s). After you leave the pizza place, you (wash your hands first) then write the summery of whats on the napkin, without the tomato sauce. This step, organizing the notes, distilling them into the end conclusion of the meeting, is the function of the engineering notebook. If you can teach that, and get folks to do it, the world would be a slightly better place. This one step prevents so many errors from happening it isn't funny. The folks that work directly from the napkin are either very lucky or just very used to fixing obvious problems (either way is very risky, expensive, and wasteful).

This would be brilliant if you could make progress here.
    edited 2013-02-01 07:37
    Here's a suggestion; how about some 5 minute long video/slide shows covering basic robotic concepts? Key word being basic. ........

This is a great idea. One thing I would add is to start with the statement "In nature, form follows function". Repeat this when discussing "selecting the robots task".
    Repeat this when discussing "selecting method of operation". Also when discussing "application design", "selecting sensors and actuators", "functional testing", system testing", and "final application".

Doing "just what you need" in the simplest possible way is usually a key to success. Teaching this to kids would be a big step forward.
  • HardwiredbbHardwiredbb Posts: 11
    edited 2013-03-11 20:19
    Matt.
    Did Parallax ever get the mini - course out? didn't see anything in the thread.. but enjoyed all the dicussions... many good points
    edited 2013-03-14 14:27
    Did Parallax ever get the mini - course out?

Yes, here is the first iteration :thumb: (sorry for not bringing it to your attention earlier!)

We held our first Counselor Training Class on Saturday, March 2nd, here at Parallax HQ.

Initial feedback has been quite positive, and we're awaiting more incoming from the attendees.

There were 16 individuals (max. occupancy) in the class (many of whom knew each other, since most of them came from the Sacramento area). Two or three had programming experience, a couple more had some hardware (breadboard) assembly experience.

I expect some changes and updates over the coming weeks based on feedback from this first group, as well as another live upcoming class (date TBD after enhancements/changes to the initial program).

Please feel free to go through it and give us feedback. I will say that there were many questions (that were answered live) that were answered during the class, that weren't specifically addressed in the mini-course (but haven't, as yet, been incorporated into the course).

Keep in mind too, that what was taught in the course was at the "scout level". That is to say that we walked the Counselors through the course just as they would walk the Scout through the course (at least portions of it - there's only so much you can do in 4 hours:).

Robotics with the Boe-Bot
    is what the Counselor should really know, as it is they whom the Scouts would look to for more answers. "Vocation or Avocation" is a requisite for the Counselor, and our aim is to use RwtBB as the counselor's (initial) primary reference guide.

Try it out!
    -MattG
    edited 2013-03-20 17:14
    Matt - just looked at the mini course. I like what I see and will adapt accordingly. I am teaching a class this Sat (23rd) and will have an opportunity to see how things go. The class has been limited to 8 students and covers a period of aprox. 7 hours. one question I do have is about the notebook - There is no prep for doing this type of class, the scouts just show up. They are interested, but most have not even looked at the MB Book. They have no idea of what the notebook is about or any such idea. I will probably pass over that portion out of necessity.There is no provision by anyone for a notebook, unless I would provide one (and I don't have the resources available for that), so I will probably just leave it alone. I have a classroom available so I should be able to make use of a projector - it does help.

the last class I taught, I covered the basic requirements and showed "robot" videos during the morning session - it is most always the shorter of the two - and then during lunch I took the BB apart and laid it out, when the boys returned we walked through the building (passing it around so each one could have a part) and then talked a bit about the programming I only covered the whiskers. Depending on the level of scouts, I might go a bit deeper. but most of what I've seen has been only mild interest.

After the class, I will come back and give an update on how it went - I won't teach another until Oct. time frame, when we hold a MB College at my school - Chowan University - that is a sat class also.
    edited 2013-03-22 19:01
    Happy Hunting Hardwiredbb :-)
    Let us know how it goes, it's a work in progress so we expect some refinements as this rolls out.

-MattG
  • GranzGranz Posts: 179
    edited 2013-03-25 19:15
    Hey braino - you obviously have a brain the size of a planet- I don't. When I get an idea, it usually causes an immediate stack overflow. I gotta write it down pronto or the "world will never know" - and when there's only a napkin available, I'll use it. And later, if I realize that the idea was lousy, I can use the very same napkin for it's original intent - It's called recycling and re-use.

However, you've made your point.

I'm thinking that this will have a .pdf output format so that it can be printed out, filled in with chicken scratch notes on what the Scout has done during this (part 4) of the Badge, and then the Scout will make it a part of his full "official" engineering notebook.

like bee_said:

-MattG.

Matt,

Many years ago, I made my own Engineering Notebooks. They had pages for text, drawings, lists, program listings, etc. Recently (like when BSA first announced the Robotics Merit Badge) I brought it out of retirement, updated it and made it available in my store (http://zenstore.granzeier.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=10). This is probably more than a boy would need for a Robotics MB, but pages can be ripped out, if needed. I made the download version available for free to any boyscout who is working on that MB.

If you would like, you may also download the PDF, print it out (one for a duplex printer and a second for a single-sided printer) and use it for your classes. The counselors are also free to download the notebook, and print it out, for any boy who is working on the merit badge (either you, or the counselors, may shorten it by not printing all the pages - there are about a half-dozen pages in each section and two or three would probably work fine for this, if you think that would work better.) If anyone else would like a copy, I will be getting more in stock soon (and the price is pretty good, if I do say so.)
    edited 2013-03-25 19:19
    Matt - just looked at the mini course. I like what I see and will adapt accordingly. I am teaching a class this Sat (23rd) and will have an opportunity to see how things go. The class has been limited to 8 students and covers a period of aprox. 7 hours. one question I do have is about the notebook - There is no prep for doing this type of class, the scouts just show up. They are interested, but most have not even looked at the MB Book. They have no idea of what the notebook is about or any such idea. I will probably pass over that portion out of necessity.There is no provision by anyone for a notebook, unless I would provide one (and I don't have the resources available for that), so I will probably just leave it alone. I have a classroom available so I should be able to make use of a projector - it does help.

the last class I taught, I covered the basic requirements and showed "robot" videos during the morning session - it is most always the shorter of the two - and then during lunch I took the BB apart and laid it out, when the boys returned we walked through the building (passing it around so each one could have a part) and then talked a bit about the programming I only covered the whiskers. Depending on the level of scouts, I might go a bit deeper. but most of what I've seen has been only mild interest.

After the class, I will come back and give an update on how it went - I won't teach another until Oct. time frame, when we hold a MB College at my school - Chowan University - that is a sat class also.

I ran across several MB counselors, who said pretty much the same thing. The consensus was that the counselor should make a rule, that any scout who comes to him must have already read the MB book (some suggested a short quiz on the book before starting any work on the merit badge itself.)
  • WBA ConsultingWBA Consulting Posts: 2,934
    edited 2013-03-25 21:27
    Granz, good job on the notebook PDF, that is laid out very well. I would not have thought about setting up something like that as an aid for students learning how to document their projects.

I created my own notepaper in Excel a couple years ago because I could never find any at Staples, OfficeMax, etc, that was exactly what I wanted. I printed my two formats as a PDF to post for others. I use the task sheet to keep track of project tasks and their completion. The graph paper page is normally what I use when brainstorming.
    edited 2013-03-25 22:52
    Granz, good job on the notebook PDF, that is laid out very well. I would not have thought about setting up something like that as an aid for students learning how to document their projects.

I created my own notepaper in Excel a couple years ago because I could never find any at Staples, OfficeMax, etc, that was exactly what I wanted. I printed my two formats as a PDF to post for others. I use the task sheet to keep track of project tasks and their completion. The graph paper page is normally what I use when brainstorming.

Andrew,

Thanks, but I really made those notebooks for myself for internal use. When I saw the requirement for the scouts to use an Engineering Notebook, I thought of my notebooks, redid them and offered them up. Any scout who wants one for his MB project, is free to download and print one out. (And, like I said, Matt, you are free to use them for your class, too.)
    edited 2013-03-26 07:59
    Hey Granz,

Thanks! We're still in the early testing stages of the mini-course, but one on the things we were planning to do was to develop a companion Notebook that goes with the course.

Please drop me an email when you get a chance.
    -MattG

edited 2013-04-11 19:45
    I'm doing a Robotics Merit Badge class this Saturday at a local university on short notice. Tragically their planned merit badge instructor passed away. I came up with this engineering notebook that covers the BSA requirements and can be printed on only 2 pages. Take a look and give me some feedback.

You need to print 2 pages at a time to get it to format correctly ie. print 1,2 flip then 3,4
    edited 2013-09-30 06:27
    @Matt
    well, October has arrived and this Sat is the Merit Badge College here at Chowan University in wonderful Murfreesboro, NC. I will have a class of 8 scouts, ages 13-17 for a period of aprox. 8 hours. (8-12 & 1-4 - if I remember correctly - it may be 9-12). Last time I covered the merit badge basics in the morning and used the Boe-Bot kit in the afternoon. I will change that this time to a mixture of things throughout the day. something like covering a bit of the requirements and then working with the BB. The boys flaked out the last time with the concentration of programming in the afternoon..so we will see how it works mixing it up. I will post the results after everything is done.

@Granz
    I pulled the notebook pdf down and will take a look at it and figure out how to possibly incorporate it into the MB. I like what I see so far.
    edited 2013-09-30 06:39
    Granz,
    I just reread some of the posts and realized I was going to comment about reading the MB book prior to class and then giving a quiz.. sounds like a good idea.. I don't know how it would work since I would have put the requirement out there and hope that whoever is monitoring the signups (scoutmasters?) would make it happen, since I don't have direct control over that end of the procress. But at least, it is worth a try.