Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
The saga of lithium batteries and the Boeing 787 — Parallax Forums

The saga of lithium batteries and the Boeing 787

LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
edited 2014-09-15 05:58 in General Discussion
Boeing has grounded all the Dreamliners due to lithium battery fires 'that never should have occurred'.

This is a very interesting situation. One might say a Titanic moment. I am not entirely sure which Lithium chemistry they went with and I doubt we will ever know the specific details of manufacture, but Lithium Ion batteries can and do out gas Hydrofluoric Acid in some instances of failure. And that will damage just about any material -- including epoxy and carbon fiber. After all, it is commonly used to etch glass.

This may be a defining moment in the use of Lithium Ion cells. NiMH have been showing a lot of promise and reaching power storage densities nearly the same as Lithium on a weight basic. So it is going to be very interesting if Boeing stays with Lithium technology or suddenly switches. Apparently, the Tesla uses NiMH batteries and they may know something that Boeing overlooked.

Comments

• Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2013-01-25 07:45
    I've been waiting for something like this to happen... Wonder if certain laptops will so be banned from flights?

Jeff
  • prof_brainoprof_braino Posts: 4,313
    edited 2013-01-25 10:17
    This has little to do with lithium batteries.

This has everything to do with ignoring there own process for the sake of ridiculous schedules and short term profit on paper.

When Boeing said " the 747 shows we know how to do this" was the first mistake. When they said "we can save money be getting rid of the permanent engineers and have only contractors" was the second. When they said "Get it done by x date" was the final mistake. When you tell a contractor he's done on Friday, he goes away and its not his problem anymore. There's no one that can "own" any issue. When one tells a subcontractor "get six months of work done in three, or you will be the long pole in the tent" and be blamed (and penalized) for schedule slip, the sub-contractors play "schedule roulette". It looks good on paper, but we see the result: Improper bolts that won't hold thee wings on, landing gear that won't operate, fires in the cockpit. And schedule slip, expensive rescheduling of certification, expensive redoing all the work that was rushed through the first time.

I will not let any friends or family fly on the 787. But Boeing "knows what they are doing" so we have to let them do it. Hopefully the certification process will prevent the worst.
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2013-01-25 10:41
    @prof_braino, I agree with you for the most part. I worked in machine shops for a number of years on the outskirts of Seattle. I seen the parts that were put on those planes and swore I would never fly on a Boeing aircraft. That is, until they took over McDonald Douglas and I did not have much of a choice!!!! My son works for them now and my next door neighbor use to. That is, until they made her train her Russian replacement that would be doing her job, you guessed it, in Russia. Boeing does not want to build planes any longer. They want to do the logistics and let the subcontractors do the work and get rid of the high cost of union workers. Case in point, the 787 plant they built in SC. Totally non union. No one is saying where the planes in question were built.
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    edited 2013-01-25 14:54
    @prof_braino

Sad, but true. Funny how there is never enough time or money to do it right the first time but always enough to fix the resulting problems afterwards. Usually costs a lot more to fix the problems later than it would have cost to do it right as well.
    edited 2013-01-25 14:58
    kwinn wrote: »
    @prof_braino

Usually costs a lot more to fix the problems later than it would have cost to do it right as well.

Yea, Someone should have told MS this about Vista!!!!
  • Dr_AculaDr_Acula Posts: 5,484
    edited 2013-01-25 16:52
    The batteries are made by Yuasa and looking round my shed, I can spot several Yuasa batteries. They all work fine and no fires etc, but they are all lead acids, not lithium. For the sake of a few kilograms, why not just change over to sealed lead acid batteries?
  • localrogerlocalroger Posts: 3,451
    edited 2013-01-25 17:48
    SLA's have really horrible weight to capacity compared to any other chemistry. They're fairly small, but very heavy because lead is so heavy. NiCD is half the weight for the same capacity, and NiMH and Lithium are even lighter, thus their attraction for aircraft.
  • RDL2004RDL2004 Posts: 2,554
    edited 2013-01-25 18:47
    I read somewhere today that just switching those batteries from Lithium to NiCd would triple the weight.
    edited 2013-01-25 19:51
    Dr_Acula wrote: »
    For the sake of a few kilograms, why not just change over to sealed lead acid batteries?

You're kidding, right???? I watched a program on How They Do It a couple months ago. They were showing how they make the the batteries at a facility in Nevada. Quite a cool process. The thinner they can get the material, the more power they can pack in a cell and they can be formed in pretty much any fashion. There is no way you would be able to accomplish that with lead acid and considering the power consumption the weight alone would kill the whole concept.
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2013-01-25 21:02
    Dr_Acula wrote: »
    The batteries are made by Yuasa and looking round my shed, I can spot several Yuasa batteries. They all work fine and no fires etc, but they are all lead acids, not lithium. For the sake of a few kilograms, why not just change over to sealed lead acid batteries?

I suspect that Yuasa merely contracted the batteries to a sub-contractor that produces OEM lithium batteries. Lead acid batteries would likely be 4x the weight, and not recharge anywhere near as fast.

The core issue is that these batteries are supposed to provide emergency power as Boeing finally changed over from hydraulic controls to all electric in the 787. If they have to abandon that scheme, they need to build another airplane.
    edited 2013-01-25 21:04
    Maybe shifting to NiCd would add 3x weight, but NiMH is a different story. This is all about chemistry. Lithium got in the limelight with the stock market, but NiMH has been moving ahead regardless.
  • Peter KG6LSEPeter KG6LSE Posts: 1,383
    edited 2013-01-26 00:20
    http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/bit-about-batteries

If I recall the only Pure mass scale EVs with NiMh was the S10 fleet that GM had with huges and the Rav4 EV .

While I agree NiMH is a mature chem for mid Line EVs and hybrids ..( for the money its a good value ! ) ... Its not going to power a car 300 Miles to a charge .

as far as the 787 /// Its boeing . Go figure .

I have more faith in the STS discovery then in a airliner ..
    edited 2013-01-26 00:49
    Okay, Tesla apparently has shifted away from NiMH. My reference was a program on National Geographic or the Discovery channel... maybe reruns.

Still, we may just see a sudden huge shift in battery technology if the Boeing dumps lithium.
  • Dr_AculaDr_Acula Posts: 5,484
    edited 2013-01-26 02:35
    Well, lead might be expensive to fly, but right now a lot of planes are sitting on the ground making $zero profit. I am being a bit cheeky suggesting lead acids - of course NiMH would be more sensible.

But lithium batteries? Looks like it might be a thermal runaway problem http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2013/01/25/business/dreamliners-battery-woes-traced-to-short-circuiting-thermal-runaway/#.UQOvcfLaiSo

and lithium batteries do seem prone to that http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_runaway
    Batteries

When handled improperly, or if manufactured defectively, some rechargeable batteries can experience thermal runaway resulting in overheating. Sealed cells will sometimes explode violently if safety vents are overwhelmed or nonfunctional. Especially prone to thermal runaway are lithium-ion batteries. Reports of exploding cellphones occasionally appear in newspapers. In 2006, batteries from Apple, HP, Toshiba, Lenovo, Dell and other notebook manufacturers were recalled because of fire and explosions.[8][9][10][11] The Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA) of the U.S. Department of Transportation has established regulations regarding the carrying of certain types of batteries on airplanes because of their instability in certain situations. This action was partially inspired by a cargo bay fire on a UPS airplane.[12]

Replace them all with lead batteries I say, and offset the weight by not selling Krispy Kreme donuts at airports *grin*.
    edited 2013-01-26 07:40
    Still, we may just see a sudden huge shift in battery technology if the Boeing dumps lithium.

Dumping lithium batteries as a result of this issue would be similar to dumping the use of bolts after the tail problem.

The issue is entirely centered on pushing for arbitrary schedule deadlines in contradiction of the requirements and testing process. We can't guarantee 100% perfection, but we can show that we took care of the obvious blunders. When we hurry, the line between too much and not enough gets pushed the wrong way, and we trip over blunders.
    edited 2013-01-26 08:56
    Not exactly the same as a bolt problem and related metalurgy.

Product development is prone to huge discoveries. In this case, it is all about chemistry and energy densities.

Along with huge increases that the energy density of lithium, we have seen instabilities which include chemical fires.

Meanwhile, I don't think that Nickle batteries have actually had fires. So, my gut feeling is that changing to different chemical elements may really be necessary.

You have to realize that while cell phone batteries may have been made relatively safe and even laptop computers, these batteries have been scaled up to provide enough power to actually fly the airplane. And in this case the airplane weighs much more than the average wood house in the US.

In other words there is a lot of energy stored in these batteries. Bolts don't store energy. It is a different degree of hazard.
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    edited 2013-01-26 10:30
    Boeing has grounded all the Dreamliners due to lithium battery fires 'that never should have occurred'.

According to my source at Boeing (flight test), the batteries did not actually catch fire. After inspection it was found that the lithium batteries had expanded. I wasn't paying real close to the discussion because my attention was divided but I can get more details tomorrow if you like.
    edited 2013-01-26 11:35
    @W9GFO please do. The news here in the Seattle area stated they caught fire and in looking at the pictures that they had they looked pretty burnt to me. Also, I do not think expansion would cause the smoke that was coming out of the one JAL 787 they showed.

battery_fire.jpg
  • pmrobertpmrobert Posts: 673
    edited 2013-01-26 11:50
    The lithium battery weight savings is very attractive. I recently changed from a Yuasa lead-acid (4.1kg) to a lithium iron polyphosphate based alternative Shorai (1.048 kg) on a Ducati motorcycle. It feels like it's made from styrofoam! However, but, you know this was coming, IF the voltage regulator goes south and overvolts, the lithium batt will overheat, expand, outgas, etc., in a runaway reaction that doesn't stop when you remove connections to it. Always in the back of my mind riding as the battery is located in the tail of the bike about 2" from my posterior. I thought I read that the 787 had 2 60# lithium batteries - even if they went to something safer like NiMH I doubt the weight penalty is a deal breaker. Even lead-acid of similar capacity would be maybe 4 times heavier - the difference is equivalent to a couple of large passengers. Oh well, no 787 flying for this kid.... Manage your risks.

-Mike

DSCN0392.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 111K
    edited 2013-01-26 12:42
    I am not sure I understand why, if the auto companies still can not get it right, http://weaselzippers.us/2012/05/09/another-electric-car-from-obama-funded-company-catches-fire/
    did Boeing think they could. As pmrobert pointed out,
    IF the voltage regulator goes south and overvolts, the lithium batt will overheat, expand, outgas, etc., in a runaway reaction that doesn't stop when you remove connections to it.

This being a known issue should have raised red flags from the begining. They "supposedly" had backups in place in case of failure. That failed and makes me wonder was it really ever tested seeings how they were losing millions by missing delivery dates.
  • Mark_TMark_T Posts: 1,981
    edited 2013-01-26 15:00
    NWCCTV wrote: »
    I am not sure I understand why, if the auto companies still can not get it right, http://weaselzippers.us/2012/05/09/another-electric-car-from-obama-funded-company-catches-fire/
    did Boeing think they could.

But if you bother to read that story it's likely just a short-circuit: "It reportedly was not plugged in at the time of the fire and the Karma’s battery remains intact."
    Any car can catch fire from faulty wiring. Ditto any plane. I think the real issue is that they are using an inherently unsafe battery chemistry in a plane - NiMH should
    be used (and will likely be substituted to fix the issue). If using a lithium chemistry the only remotely acceptable one is LiFePO4 which will tolerate severe overheating
    since phosphorous will not give up its oxygen to lithium anything like as easily as other electrode chemistries do. Saving a few 10's of kg of battery weight in
    a plane that weighs 115 tonnes empty by switching to a pyrotechnic battery chemistry was plane stupid (spelling intended!)
  • evanhevanh Posts: 15,582
    edited 2013-01-26 17:48
    prof_braino nailed it.

Having seen the doco about the flawed 737 NG construction processes (Documented to have started with the construction of the 737-600's in 1996), and am familiar with corporate tactics of excessive contracting out of jobs, it really does look like it's now typical Boeing behaviour to take short-cuts (And have no problems never admitting it).

Here's a good example of just how flimsy the 737 NG load bearing structures are:
    29 September 2006; Gol Linhas AŽreas 737-800; near Peixoto de Azevedo, Brazil: The aircraft was on a scheduled domestic flight from Manaus to Brasilia when it had a midair collision in the area of S‹o FŽlix do Xingu with an Embraer ERJ135 Legacy 600 executive jet operated by ExcelAire. The ExcelAire Legacy 600 jet had been on a flight from S‹o JosŽ dos Campos to Manaus. After the collision, which damaged the left wing, left stabilizer, and left elevator of the executive jet, the crew of the damaged ExcelAire aircraft was able to land at a nearby military airfield at Cachimbo, Brazil. The 737 subsequently experienced an inflight breakup and crashed 30 about kilometers (19 miles) north of the Peixoto de Azevedo municipality. The Legacy 600 was on the first leg of a delivery flight to the U.S. The 737 aircraft was also relatively new, having come into service with the airline less than three weeks before the crash.

All six crew members and 148 passengers on the 737 were killed. The two crew members and five passengers on the Legacy 600 were not injured.

The collision was the two left wings collided, slicing the top half of the Legacy 600's winglet clean off. It's unlikely there was much more than a deep gouge with possible electrical and hydraulic damage in the 737's wing but that's just speculation on my part.

Where it says "inflight breakup" I interpret that as the main body broke in to pieces in mid-air! Which is the expected behaviour because of the poor construction. So, unless the 737 started cart-wheeling in mid-flight there is no good reason for it other than it's weak construction.

And that's just one of many such examples of sudden unbelievable breakups. There was one about two years back that actually saved lives because the 737 was on it's way to driving over a cliff off the end of a runway, but the roughness of the ground broke it's back before getting there. Freaky stuff.

Mark_T gave best selection of battery tech, NiMH or Lithium Phosphate. If the 787's aren't using one of those then Boeing have screwed up. And given the restrictions on carrying lithium on aircraft (For good reason) you'd think designers would err on the side of caution and go NiMH.
  • rod1963rod1963 Posts: 752
    edited 2013-01-26 21:56
    If the 737 is such lethal junk, I'm sure some real aerospace engineers and air lines for that matter would be screaming bloody murder about the shoddy construction and the planes themselves should be falling out of the air. But they don't, it remains the best selling airliner in aviation history. At any given time over 1200 are in the air.

Not bad for a supposedly shoddy piece of design and construction.
    edited 2013-01-26 22:35
    Don't worry, officially reporting it has been extensively tried. It was blocked all the way. Even the Justice Department turned a blind eye. There was a recent bit of finger pointing from Congress but I've not heard anything more.

The earlier, non-NG, models are fine. The faulty manufacturing started only with the NG models (-600 and after) as it was a redesign. The design was fine but implementation does not met the design specs.

Here's a link - http://www.futuregringo.com/2011/04/05/al-jazeera-boeing-737-documentary/ and the YouTube vid - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaWdEtANi-0

Reading that it looks like something may have been done in 2004 to improve the production problems but there is a large number of 737 NG's out there that are just begging to fall apart.
    edited 2013-01-27 03:49
    Well, I wouldn't worry too much about Boeing. After all they want to make the airplanes safe to fly.

But I still ponder my flight to San Francisco via Manila in 1996 where all the passengers had to line up 3 hours ahead of departure and have every carry on item inspected in detail for a mysterious 75cc of liquid. I now know that they were looking for nitro-glycerine. And this was due to an Al Quida incident that did down a Philippine Airlines plane that was flying to Japan.

I was just trying to save money by booking the cheapest flight to the US. Next time you tell you travel agent you want the cheapest flight available you might consider that others know something you don't.

I fear the government just 'doesn't want to panic people'. I am a bit wary of 'perfectly safe' or 'prefectly legal'.
    edited 2013-01-27 04:54
    One expects terrorists to put peoples lives at risk. It's a bit like one expects an earthquake to bring down buildings and generate tsunamis.

One also expects companies to play fair with the consumer, and for regulators to do their job when companies screw up.
    edited 2013-01-27 11:36
    NWCCTV wrote: »
    ... if the auto companies still can not get it right, ...did Boeing think they could.

It's an engineering issue. There are LOTs of example of these batteries that don't catch fire, just as there are lots of examples of passenger vehicles that carry around highly flammable fuel and DON'T explode like burning Corvairs. We either design for the application correctly, or we don't. Its not the battery's fault that adequate engineering was done or not.
    Well, I wouldn't worry too much about Boeing. After all they want to make the airplanes safe to fly.

No, Boeing want profits. Individual people may or may not want other things, but these are secondary. Worry about anyone and anything that is more concerned with short term profits over long term stability.
  • TinkersALotTinkersALot Posts: 535
    edited 2013-01-27 12:00
    No, Boeing want profits. Individual people may or may not want other things, but these are secondary. Worry about anyone and anything that is more concerned with short term profits over long term stability.

reminded of a scene on an airplane (ironic yes?) from Fight Club

Narrator: A new car built by my company leaves somewhere traveling at 60 mph. The rear differential locks up. The car crashes and burns with everyone trapped inside. Now, should we initiate a recall? Take the number of vehicles in the field, A, multiply by the probable rate of failure, B, multiply by the average out-of-court settlement, C. A times B times C equals X. If X is less than the cost of a recall, we don't do one.

Business woman on plane: Are there a lot of these kinds of accidents?

Narrator: You wouldn't believe.

Business woman on plane: Which car company do you work for?

Narrator: A major one.
  • whickerwhicker Posts: 749
    edited 2013-01-27 14:28
    I generally agree with prof_braino's concept about it not being intrinsically the battery's fault.
    I would further like to add that it could be software, or it could be poor assembly (bad crimp connection), or poor overall design (mechanical or thermal).

Who knows what the design target was.
    Probably something like:
    Needs to be X by Y by Z and weigh less than N Pounds and provide W watts.
    Failure to deliver by time T, this will terminate contract with penalty.

The sad part about this, is that with new design, you really can't define all of the parameters upfront.
    Maybe the volume allotted for it for the watts required is impossible to make safely (or physically not possible).

Plus if you see my spec there is no talk about where it will be installed or any sort of reliability measurement.
    (usually just assumed to be "must work forever without problems" but also the contradictory "make it cheap and easily replacable!").

What if "will be enclosed in a confined space insulated on 5 sides, next to a significant heat source" was left out of the spec, and the temperature tests were all performed at 120F ambient temperature max? What if it was installed next to a motor that vibrates severely? What if cables were stressed and damaged at installation? (my pet peeve).

Who knows what's really going on? and who is going to take back their assumptions that it was totally this or that when the actual cause was determined?
    I know people have a right to be angry because lives were on the line, but I hate it when lay-people (not necessarily here) play engineer and say it must be this or that and this or that would make it not happen.
    edited 2013-01-27 15:24
    Common Lithium Cobalt cells is a dumb choice no matter how you look at it. Whether that is what is used in the 787 I wouldn't know.