Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Newbie In Need Of Help - Working with HC-SR501 Pyroelectric Sensor — Parallax Forums

Newbie In Need Of Help - Working with HC-SR501 Pyroelectric Sensor

LostimpavidLostimpavid Posts: 2
edited 2012-12-31 13:14 in Accessories
Hello, newbie here.

I am working on a project in which I can use some help from the pro's!

I have a HC-SR501 Pyroelectric sensor. I want to create a simple circuit that runs off 9v. Objective is that once sensor detects, it sends "power" to a micro heating element....senor to remain on constant...

In regards to heating element, I am currently using 26 gauge Nichrome wire...I have no other knowledge on a heating element in which will work for my application as I need heating element to either burn out in 3-5 seconds or turn off in this time....or sensor to turn off in that time frame, closing power off to the heating element.

In regards to sensor, I am uncertain if this will even work for my application. I purchased it because of cost (cheap). I need sensor to work in all lightig applications and in darkness...I did pick this sensor because I believe sensor output range is adjustable in which is something I need...

Thank you very much for your input, time and help in advance; it is greatly appreciated

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2012-12-30 19:36
    I am working on a project in which I can use some help from the pro's!
    So, what do you have so far? Do you have links to the sensor? Do you have an idea of how you plan to get the results you want?
    In regards to heating element, I am currently using 26 gauge Nichrome wire...I have no other knowledge on a heating element in which will work for my application as I need heating element to either burn out in 3-5 seconds or turn off in this time....or sensor to turn off in that time frame, closing power off to the heating element.
    You need to do some tests to find out what power you need and decide which of those options you want to have as the default. More info on the overall project would help.
  • LostimpavidLostimpavid Posts: 2
    edited 2012-12-30 20:07
    Thank you for your reply Franklin

I have attached sensors specs.

I have purchased a few of these to experiment with.

I am looking for sensor to heat up an element once activated.

Heating element will need to shut off or burn out rather quickly...
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2012-12-31 12:27
    Since the sensor needs 4.5v minimum. you could hook your nichrome between the output and ground. Add a resistor or additional wire to set the burnout time. It sounds like you don't need this to repeat so this is the simplest method.
  • tonyp12tonyp12 Posts: 1,950
    edited 2012-12-31 13:14
    I think it states that the output is 3.3v and does not mention the mA ratings.
    So I would not put something that uses more than 20mA, and buring up a wire sure use more power.
    So go with the NPN curcuit they show, and your wire will be the J part.

You would need 1.58amp to get the wire to 204celcius.