Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Is there a reason you dont see 3 wheel drive bots? — Parallax Forums

Is there a reason you dont see 3 wheel drive bots?

rwgast_logicdesignrwgast_logicdesign Posts: 1,464
edited 2012-12-04 22:36 in Robotics
So in yet another idea to get more power in sand and rid my bot of a caster I started thinking why not use a matching third wheel set up on a stepper/servo for rubber motion which can turn in sync with the differential drive and then put a gear motor and hbridge on that wheel also..

Searching for 3wd robots only turned up omni designs

Comments

• rjo__rjo__ Posts: 2,114
    edited 2012-12-04 09:23
    If you did it that way, you would only need one motor.... and you could put a big cylindrical tire on it for traction. A potential use for peanut butter jars!!! You could even put the motor inside the tire:)
  • rwgast_logicdesignrwgast_logicdesign Posts: 1,464
    edited 2012-12-04 11:22
    Well i know youd only need one but the point is to get the torque and traction of 3 motors. Although sticking the motor in the wheel is a cool idea, probably not so easy when you consider the wires though
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2012-12-04 11:56
    Roger Arrick has long sold a kit with this design, or a variation of it. It's no better or worse than anything else.

If you're wanting to go in sand you could use a 4WD. Each side can run off the same motor, or you can use four motors, if they're small and cheap enough. Here's the general idea usign small servos:

http://www.budgetrobotics.com/item/4WD-Base-Chassis-233

Both 4WD and 6WD chassis are the preferred method for travelling over loose earth. They even beat out tracked, because the sand gets into the mechanism much more readily.

-- Gordon
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2012-12-04 14:52
    6WD chassis are the preferred method for travelling over loose earth.

Apparently NASA thinks they work for traveling over loose mars as well. :smile:
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2012-12-04 22:36
    Duane Degn wrote: »
    Apparently NASA thinks they work for traveling over loose mars as well. :smile:

Less bad joking and more hall-hacking, Duane!