Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Operation sub $20 Robot platform inc processor — Parallax Forums

Operation sub $20 Robot platform inc processor

GarethGareth Posts: 278
edited 2014-08-25 01:39 in Robotics
The Making of a Robot including Mcu for less than $20
StepperBase1024__024.jpg

This project was devised to show how easily it is to make a robot on limited funds.
It is a good "Starting Off" Robotic base as it can be easily changed and transformed.

I am using 5V Stepper Motors, type 28BYJ-48 With Drive Test Module Board with ULN2003 chip.
With 2x 18650 3.7V li-ion batteries (mine are 4000mAhr).

This is just the start of the project and there are many additions planned for it.
I have attached a "UV" led so that i could scribe/track its progress :-
StepperBase_512__026.jpg

It is a cross platform base, meaning that any micro computing unit (Brain) can be used ie. Propeller , Picaxe or Arduino (aka Atmega).
$2 lipo tester :-
StepperBase_512__031.jpg

Due to its low cost i foresee me building a "Swarm" of them .....this one is already the second (first being a picaxe version).

The base uses Geared Stepper motors which means that it is very precise and repeatable in its movements. ( forget your sloppy continuous servos )

Now my biggest bugbear ..... the base works easily and well with my Propstick and MDA board ....
..... however to achieve a sub $20 propeller version i need a good (inc P&P) supplier of 40pin P8X32A-D40 chips or the Basic Stamp family.
If anyone can point me in a direction then i think it will open up a new chapter in cost effective (accurate) robots.... (ie for schools and education)
Regards Gareth
1024 x 768 - 541K
500 x 375 - 24K
375 x 500 - 42K

Comments

• mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2012-11-28 03:53
    Gareth,

Once again, you've done it!!

This is solution many have sought and the problem with using the propeller is the price point of the brain. This wouldn't be a bad solution though even with an MDA or a $25 QuickStart as the brain. The parts for a bare bones Propeller brain still run around $12 or so and the BASIC Stamp even more.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2012-11-28 08:38
    Beauteous, Gareth, you are a robot guru. There are a few parallel Parallax threads about low-cost robots. Yours is further along than most, congrats! Per Rick, you'll pay for the Prop's versatility and the Stamps have their own unique (!) price structure. Not an easy fit into a $20 bot, but a worthy upgrade after the basic bot is built, if a $25 QS board can be swapped in later.

I would love to combine all the ridiculously cheap Ebay parts into a single general interest project: 4-relay boards, keychain camera, stepper motors, hc-sr04 sensors, etc. There are so many parts under $5 that there are cheap projects staring us in the face... :)
  • prof_brainoprof_braino Posts: 4,313
    edited 2012-11-28 09:07
    Hey Gareth

I like the way the motors are just stuck together and need no body.

We're working on a similar project with about the same equipment and goals.

http://code.google.com/p/propforth/wiki/LittleRobot

I decided to cheat and not include the cost of the processor in the $20; this has the dual effect of allowing the use of the Prop Quickstart as an easy "first phase" board, and permits use of any other board. Many folks have TMS430 and we can still do a bulk order etc.

We use the cheap bluetooth module as a cable replacement, so the bot can be controlled from a smart phone with a free terminal program, or with an android/IOS app.

We use the cheap ultrasonics sensor as the only environmental awareness at this time.

With just the ultrsonic and steppers we can:
    * scan 360
    * determins direction to obsticals and open space
    * determine "next location"
    * move
    * repeat

From this, we think we can "map a room" the the extent that the robot knows when it has returned to the start point, but this is still in development.

We also think we can swarming by using "close by not too close". The robot wants to see a reading within the max sensor range, but greater than the robots turning radius. So it wants to get close but not too close, maybe to read something at half max range. The effect should be:
    If it detects an object getting closer, it move away;
    if it detects an object moving away, it follows.

I haven't done the experiments yet, but I think we might be able to get something that looks like a swarm effect out of just this.

Of course, I'm using propforth since it has lowest overhead for me, but I would be interested in sharing notes and results. Some of the participants here wants to use SPIN, C, BASIC, etc, and they would appreciate the non forth options.
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2012-11-28 11:03
    Neat idea. You're braver than me with hot melt glue. I find it sticks long enough for me to assemble something, and then releases the minute I put any strain on it.
  • GarethGareth Posts: 278
    edited 2012-11-28 12:08
    Martin_H wrote: »
    releases the minute I put any strain on it.
    I can generally stick anything together......however trying to get an effective bond using hot glue on a Servo shell still evades me....
    I often rework the hot glue with a gas soldering with a flame thrower attachment.
    edited 2012-11-28 12:40
    mindrobots wrote: »
    The parts for a bare bones Propeller brain still run around $12
    Thats not far off my calculation
    $7.99 for propeller and
    $0.99 for resonator and
    $1.00 for sundries resistors caps veroboard and 3.3V regulator
    $5.00 for stepper motors P&P free
    $3.11 for 2 li-ion 4900mAhr batteries P&P free
    $2.00 for batterybox P&P free
    ..............$20 breakpoint......
    $0.50 pingpong ball
    $2.47 for 2 rubber Wheels 50mm diameter

Thats about the ballpark figure......however the wheels can be pinched from a Lego kit and the pingpong ball can be a broken recycled one.
    edited 2012-11-28 12:46
    The most expensive thing is you need a Prop Plug at $15, it's only $10 short of the QuickStart cost.
    edited 2012-11-28 12:52
    erco wrote: »
    ... there are cheap projects staring us in the face... :)
    In deed cost effective , like yours i can confirm that its accuracy is "WAY" above my wildest estimations , a big leap & skipping jump better than any of my cont.servo robots.
    edited 2012-11-28 12:58
    The most expensive thing is you need a Prop Plug at $15, it's only $10 short of the QuickStart cost.

Try searching ebay for
    "USB To TTL / COM Converter Module Build-in CP2102" or just "CP2101"

These are $2.50 inc p&p ........
    .... all you have to do is port the DTR signal "hot wire it" as a Reset line into the propeller .... i have converted 2 already
    (warning ....confusion can occur with the modules inviting reset pin ....this is the reset pin for the module only and should not be used as reset line into propeller)
    edited 2012-11-28 13:05
    Gareth wrote: »
    Try searching ebay for
    "USB To TTL / COM Converter Module Build-in CP2102" or just "CP2101"

These are $2.50 inc p&p ........
    .... all you have to do is port the DTR signal "hot wire it" as a Reset line into the propeller .... i have converted 2 already
    (warning ....confusion can occur with the modules inviting reset pin ....this is the reset pin for the module only and should not be used as reset line into propeller)

Much better, I'll have to try some of these!

CheapBots are coming!
    edited 2012-11-28 13:11
    Hoi Prof_braino
    I will need a few days to take this info in an mull it around.........
    My first Swarm impressions are to fit RF links (xbee compatibles) or even short distance IR.
    Each identical, however each starting off with its own special "Trait" .... ie cliff detect ..... wall detect.... line follow
    .... when two meet then this information is TXed/RXed between them .... meaning a cliff detect robot will gain wall detect knowledge etcetcetc

enough for the momo i need to put my silverfoil cap on........
    edited 2012-11-28 13:21
    Much better, I'll have to try some of these!

CheapBots are coming!

Heres the deal ..... this one was trickier than normal as i had to tack a wire onto the smd pin.
    You just need a 104 capacitor on end on the DTR signal leading out to a spare pin as Reset line.
    FTDI_2_mini.jpg
    FTDI8_mini.jpg
    512 x 384 - 170K
    512 x 384 - 147K
  • prof_brainoprof_braino Posts: 4,313
    edited 2012-11-28 18:17
    ........all you have to do is port the DTR signal "hot wire it" as a Reset line into the propeller ....

This was the thing that caused me concern. Can the beginner hot wire the DTR? If so they can build the whole circuit from parts. I know they can (eventually), but for the first group, I want to minimize the unknowns. For my first group I've advised them to start with the (more expensive) option to start from the quick start.

I'm going to cite your design as the "phase 2" after the teachers get the first group of kids build the bots. It IS possible to get kids to solder properly, but I don't want to scare the teachers.

Do you have an actual class that is going to build your design? Can you give us the class size and age? My guys are interested in your progress.
    edited 2012-11-29 01:36
    There are many variants out there (mine was the tricky kind....)
    Here is another version i hacked where all of the CP2102 pins are taken out to solder pads...... luxury :-
    Still the 104 capacitor attached to DTR solder pad..
    StepperBase 032.jpg

Here you see the red wire (just).... that pin i use for RESET line ....Caution a track must be cut ....see last picture.
    StepperBase 033.jpg

See my surgical cut (with dremel none the less) just above the leftmost pin.
    Essentially this breaks the 5V going to this pin and leaves the pin floating so you can connect the other end of the Reset cap to it.
    StepperBase 034.jpg

Thats it another one hot_wired.....

With respect to teaching.....no i do not have a class to unleash this version of the little robot variant onto.......Yet....
    640 x 480 - 143K
    640 x 480 - 129K
    640 x 480 - 124K
    edited 2012-11-29 01:45
    I'm going to cite your design as the "phase 2"
    YAY that would be awesome......

.... BTW if you include a downward pointing tube (center axis of the motor) a marker pen can be inserted and .....hey presto TurtleBot .....which is widely used by schools.
    (thinking about it i may even modify mine to accept a UV pen, at moment i have a UV led with magnet fixing)
    StepperUV 018_512.jpg
    500 x 375 - 24K
    512 x 384 - 95K
  • shimniokshimniok Posts: 177
    edited 2012-11-30 01:00
    Nice!!

Were you one of the entrants in the AFRON "10 Dollar Robot" Design Challenge?

http://robotics-africa.org/design_challenge.html

I only know of Digi-Key as a cheap (in volume) supplier for Propeller.

Where'd you get the wheels? (My audio isn't working so couldn't hear the video, only see) If it helps, you can probably get cheaper wheels in volume from aliexpress.com ...

I love the idea of low cost diy robots to get them in the hands of more people (kids in particular). I look forward to viewing again when I have audio working :D

Michael
    edited 2012-11-30 02:29
    shimniok wrote: »
    Where'd you get the wheels?

I have three versions so far :-
    StepperBase512_038.jpg

From Left to Right
    Lego 45mm Rubber compound
    Playmobile 50mm Rubber compound
    Wooden 65mm with Rubber "O" ring ..... now my preferred choice
    In the middle is a Lego cross axle extensions ...... which is the key to attach wheel to motor (you could also use lego gears)

StepperBase512_050.jpg

I drilled the Playmobile and wooden one with a 4.5mm drill and stuck Lego spiggot thingies so that they are compatible.
    It also means that a quick "Pit-Stop" can be made for changing tires......

I have chosen them because they are pretty common to find .... go hijack your kids... or neighbor kids Lego sets and give them back a 20Dollar robot.....

OK ..... so i better show a quick walk through ...

Take one of these Lego cross axle extensions :-
    StepperBase_512_ 028.jpg

and cut these two lugs out down to the middle of the cross axle extension (not an easy task smiley-eek.png)
    StepperBase_512_ 029.jpg

Then push fit the cross axle extension onto the motor shaft and enjoy the flexibility that it brings.... smiley-grin.png
    StepperBase_512_ 030.jpg
    512 x 384 - 118K
    640 x 480 - 123K
    512 x 383 - 124K
    512 x 383 - 137K
    512 x 384 - 118K
    edited 2012-11-30 06:59
    15 second exposure ..... testing the three different wheel sets....
    StepperBase512_ 048.jpg

Colourful zigzag lines are the Port/Starboard motor LEDs (yes i changed the Starboard to Green), also an orange on/off LED.
    512 x 384 - 106K
    edited 2012-11-30 07:05
    I took me a while to workout why one of the runs turned out into a spiral ........Any guesses....
    StepperBase512_042.jpg
    512 x 384 - 107K
  • CircuitsoftCircuitsoft Posts: 1,166
    edited 2012-12-06 18:01
    Stepper driver overheating?
    edited 2012-12-08 06:55
    Stepper driver overheating?
    "Cool Runnings" - the motors run fine, luke warm....even after 1 hour (soak tested).
    The current @5V = circa 200mA/motor under running conditions and only 220mA under stall conditions...
    edited 2012-12-08 08:45
    Oh Gareth.

You toy with us so... :)

Did one wheel stall, causing the "spiral"?
    edited 2012-12-08 13:38
    Oh Gareth.

You toy with us so... :)

Did one wheel stall, causing the "spiral"?

Haha.... Yes i toy (only because it caused me to scratch my head for a bit too)...

The spiral version was using the playmobile wheels.

The truth is the stepper motor was not stalling, however the stepper motor due to its impulsive behaviour was jumpturning the wheel hub faster against the grippy tyre......(ie slipping)
    .... so now i have glued the hub and tyre together.. no more spiral ..
    .....i would put a challange to you to create a software spiral. (i did see your "S" routine)
    edited 2012-12-08 13:52
    BTW1 :- i am still awaiting some Ultrasonic transducers like the ones metioned in your post Erco...... however 6 weeks has passed and parts are still in limbo somewhere......
    BTW2 :- in the meantime i have made a picaxe stepper driver 08m2 version using 4 outputs and 2 inputs for sensors, i am hope_ing to produce a dedicated PCB...... this means that its a stand alone board that can be driven by simple logic levels.
    BTW3 :- the 3 spare inverters on the driver board should not be overlooked (i used 2 of them to invert the programming logic RX/TX so the "cost effective" usb/ftdi converters (mentioned somewhere above) can be used to program picaxe systems as well (tested as working)).
    edited 2012-12-08 19:36
    .....i would put a challange to you to create a software spiral. (i did see your "S" routine)

Spiral would be good challenge with a stepper, I'll add it to my long "to do"list. Probably easier with CR servos. Gareth, you would like our figure 8 and oval challenges.

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?138125-Erco-s-Figure-Eight-Challenge&highlight=erco%27s+figure+challenge
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?139717-Erco-s-Oval-Office-Challenge&p=1099311&viewfull=1#post1099311

BTW, I have accumulated a ridiculous number of those HC-SR04 sensors. I'll give you some free if yours don't turn up. Yeah, really.
    the 3 spare inverters on the driver board should not be overlooked (i used 2 of them to invert the programming logic RX/TX so the "cost effective" usb/ftdi converters (mentioned somewhere above) can be used to program picaxe systems as well (tested as working)).

Ingenious! Which is preferable to ingenuous.
  • william chanwilliam chan Posts: 1,326
    edited 2012-12-08 20:17
    $5.00 for stepper motors P&P free
    $3.11 for 2 li-ion 4900mAhr batteries P&P free
    $2.00 for batterybox P&P free
    $2.47 for 2 rubber Wheels 50mm diameter

Hi Gareth,

Nice robot you got there. I would like to try make one myself.
    Could you share the links to purchase the parts, especially the Battery, Wheels, Stepper Motors and Controllers?
    edited 2012-12-09 08:10
    Gareth, you would like our figure 8 and oval challenges.
    Prepare your "8" blog for a new contestant..... as soon as its rendered.......

Tnx for Ultrasonic offer :- i am afraid the postage to Switzerland would already be 12 dollar :-( (if delivery fails then i may have to take up your offer to get the wheels rolling or the sense sense_ing.)
    edited 2012-12-09 08:57
    Could you share the links to purchase the parts, especially the Battery, Wheels, Stepper Motors and Controllers?
    My latest supplies are from these links :-
    ebay.co.uk kicks up the best results for me.....however be warned these are not fast delivery - and these listings change quickly.
    battery boxes :- http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110760929553
    batteries :- http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180961966166
    motor :- http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=271005201851
    My wooden Wheels are from a local craft shop ... however lego and playmobile wheels will get you running.
  • shimniokshimniok Posts: 177
    edited 2012-12-10 09:18
    Thanks for the links. My own $10 robot creation used a single cheap Chinese gearbox motor. While it worked and could turn relatively tightly, I now wish for dual motors.. yours seems a really good solution.. so maybe I will re-create my own cheapo-robot with inspiration from your excellent work! Thanks :) I would love to see more robots like this in the hands of interested tinkerers. Robot kits have historically been WAY too expensive given how much the parts really cost.
    edited 2012-12-13 14:50
    This is a Challenge set by Erco (http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?138125-Erco-s-Figure-Eight-Challenge&highlight=erco's+figure+challenge) where robots have to complete and draw a figure of eight.

Here is my first attempt .... much training is required ..... not the result i wanted ... however robot had other things on its mind .
    The tighter the clearance the better (mine was 2mm from wheel to bottle)
    In my case the robot started out on course and completed the first ring.....
    .... however at the start the robots voltage regulator seems to have clipped the bottle and thus threw it ever so slightly off course .........
    .... end result is the robot decides to "Toast" me instead.......good robot.......
    It just goes to show how powerful the motors are.