Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Hostname Expired ?? Ip stil working ; DHCP renew Leastime - Page 3 — Parallax Forums

Hostname Expired ?? Ip stil working ; DHCP renew Leastime

13»

Comments

• Mike GMike G Posts: 2,702
    edited 2012-11-29 20:15
    Committed the following files...
    • Dhcp.spin
    • DhcpDemo.spin

PUB RenewDhcp is added to the Dhcp.spin object. It's pretty simple - it sends the Request packet and parses the response. So the initial IP request uses the whole Discover/Offer and Request/Ack transactions while a renew invokes only Request/Ack.
      pst.str(string("Requesting IP....."))      
      repeat until dhcp.DoDhcp
        if(++t1 > ATTEMPTS)
          quit

if(t1 > ATTEMPTS)
        pst.char(CR) 
        pst.str(string(CR, "DHCP Attempts: "))
        pst.dec(t1)
        pst.str(string(CR, "Error Code: "))
        pst.dec(dhcp.GetErrorCode)
        pst.char(CR)
        pst.str(dhcp.GetErrorMessage)
        pst.char(CR)
        return
      else
        PrintIp(dhcp.GetIp)

{ Stress test  }   
      repeat
        t1 := 0
        'wiz.SetIp(0,0,0,0)
        repeat until dhcp.RenewDhcp
          if(++t1 > ATTEMPTS)
            quit
        if(t1 > ATTEMPTS)
          pst.char(CR) 
          pst.dec(t1)
          pst.char(CR)
          pst.char(CR)
          return
        else
          PrintIp(dhcp.GetIp)

I quickly tested the theory (I researched the DHCP renew process) and it worked surprisingly easy on my box. Please let me know if it works out for you.
  • LtechLtech Posts: 370
    edited 2012-11-30 00:10
    Spinneret question ?
    Can we use this dhcp.spin renewdhcp for spinneret wiznet W5100 ?
  • twctwc Posts: 107
    edited 2012-11-30 04:47
    After a bit of headscratching I noticed you changed your pin connections :=)

Congratulations Mike, RenewDhcp works and nowI don't need wiz.SetIp(0,0,0,0) to renew. Just note that success of the initial DHCP request (i.e. dhcp.DoDhcp) for my Netgear still relies on the src ip = 0.0.0.0. For instance, if I manually set the source ip to a different (but valid network) address, the initial dhcp.DoDhcp will just keep retrying...
      'DHCP Process
      wiz.SetIp(10,0,0,160) 'this causes problem, will 'Retry DHCP' forever
      repeat until DoDhcp
        CreateTransactionId 
        pause(1000)
        pst.str(string(CR, "Retry DHCP: "))
        pst.dec(i++)
        pst.char(CR)

As noted all along, it's seemingly not an issue after power-up/F10/wiz.HardReset or ? i.e. the src ip seems to 'default' 0.0.0.0 initially. But I want to mention it since I'm not exactly sure what reason(s) the src ip apparently comes up 0.0.0.0 first time. Could be your code setting it, W5200 power-up and/or HardReset or F10/boot variable initialization by Spin or ??? Anyway for now I don't need to explicitly set src ip = 0.0.0.0 prior to the initial dhcp.DoDhcp and after it succeeds dhcp.RenewDhcp works like a champ.
    edited 2012-11-30 06:44
    Spinneret question ?
    Can we use this dhcp.spin renewdhcp for spinneret wiznet W5100 ?
    No sorry, the Spinneret driver must be updated to use the new Wiz 5200 objects.
    edited 2012-11-30 06:49
    After a bit of headscratching I noticed you changed your pin connections :=)
    Yeah, I'm using the new WizNet 5200 demo board.
    As noted all along, it's seemingly not an issue after power-up/F10/wiz.HardReset or ? i.e. the src ip seems to 'default' 0.0.0.0 initially. But I want to mention it since I'm not exactly sure what reason(s) the src ip apparently comes up 0.0.0.0 first time. Could be your code setting it, W5200 power-up and/or HardReset or F10/boot variable initialization by Spin or ???
    All network parameters are zeroed on start up. I'll add a add a Boolean parameter to the DoDhcp method so the IP can be set to 0.0.0.0.

BTW, there is also a PUB SetRequestIp(octet3, octet2, octet1, octet0) method which will request a particular IP.
    edited 2012-11-30 07:51
    The boolean parameter and SetRequestIp along with dhcp.RenewDhcp should cover all the bases. With my Netgear, REPEATing dhcp.DoDhcp seems to always return the same ip address based on the (unchanged) MAC address. dhcp.RenewDhcp is also returning the same ip address each time, but I wonder what it does if a) MAC address changes (unlikely app scenario) or b) the prior lease has expired? (the dhcp.DoDhcp option works in both cases). What would be a typical app situation taking advantage of dhcp.SetRequestIp? Anyway, just curious - both options (REPEAT dhcp.DoDhcp with ip=0.0.0.0 or REPEAT dhcp.RenewDhcp) working solid at this point.
    edited 2012-11-30 08:52
    but I wonder what it does if a) MAC address changes (unlikely app scenario) or b) the prior lease has expired? (the dhcp.DoDhcp option works in both cases). What would be a typical app situation taking advantage of dhcp.SetRequestIp?
    I do not recommend changing the MAC address during run time. Certainly testable.

The lease time returned during the DHCP process is exposed through the dhcp.GetLeaseTime. Renew the release at [lease time]/2. If the lease time has expired, execute dhcp.DoDhcp(). The top level object must handle the timing.

Use dhcp.SetRequestIp to request an IP on the network. I use dhcp.SetRequestIp and HOSTS file to bind an IP to name.
    edited 2012-11-30 14:23
    Thanks Mike, great advice as always!
  • Igor_RastIgor_Rast Posts: 357
    edited 2012-12-02 11:25
    Ok , im back , was allitle busy
    I have updated the code , and it looks to be working pretty nice .
    Mike G wrote: »
    Committed the following files...
    So the initial IP request uses the whole Discover/Offer and Request/Ack transactions while a renew invokes only Request/Ack.

had that on my mind for a long time , seems it did the trick
    here a wireshark log of the succes renewal . renew good.zip

One thing still , I mentiond it before in post #55
    if i use the code like you changed it also in the html5 graph , the ip doesnt renew if there is no activity taking place . And only renews the first time the activity contiues. So if nothing happens for a day the leastime still expires .

if I add the
    PUB MultiSocketServer | bytesToRead, i, page, j, x , bytesSent, ptr
      bytesToRead := bytesSent := i := j := x := 0
      repeat

if(dhcpLease - phsa/NCO_FREQ <  dhcpLease-10)
          pst.str(string(CR, "Renew DHCP Lease", CR))
          if(dhcp.DoDhcp)
            PrintIp(dhcp.GetIp)
            dhcpLease := dhcp.GetLeaseTime
            phsa := 1
            pause(1500)

If I change it a bit , and insert it in the loopt thats keeps running while there is no activity
    repeat until sock[i].Connected

then it does work nice always renewing ,

can you confirm this , or is this not the best way to keep it renewing even if there is no activity taking place for a long time.
    PUB Main | i  , dnsServer
      cognew(Tempcontrol,@stack1)  
      cognew(controller,@stack2)  

i:=0
      wiz.HardReset(nRESET_WIZ) 

pst.Start(115_200)      
      pause(500)

pst.str(string("Initialize W5200", CR))
      wiz.start(6, 5, 4, 7) 
      wiz.SetMac($00, $08, $DC, $16, $F8, $01)

pst.str(string("Getting network paramters", CR))
      dhcp.Init(@buff, 7)

repeat until dhcp.DoDhcp(false)
        if(++i > DHCP_ATTEMPTS)
          quit

if(dhcp.GetErrorCode > 0 OR i > DHCP_ATTEMPTS)
        pst.char(CR) 
        pst.dec(i)
        pst.char(CR)
        pst.char(CR)
        return
      else
        PrintIp(dhcp.GetIp)

'Setup a 610 Hz square wave on pin 31
        ctrb := %00100_000 << 23 + 1 << 9 + CNT_PIN 
        frqb := FREQ_610 
        dira[CNT_PIN] := 1

'Positive edge counter on pin 31
        ctra := %01010 << 26 + CNT_PIN
        frqa := 1    

pst.str(string("DNS..............."))
      dnsServer := wiz.GetDns
      PrintIp(wiz.GetDns)

pst.str(string("DHCP Server........"))                                        
      printIp(dhcp.GetDhcpServer)

pst.str(string("Router IP........."))
      printIp(dhcp.GetRouter)

pst.str(string("Lease Time........"))
      pst.dec(dhcp.GetLeaseTime)

pst.char(CR)  

repeat       
        repeat i from 0 to SOCKETS-1
          sock[i].Init(i, TCP, 80)

OpenListeners
        StartListners    
        \MultiSocketServer 
        pause(500)

PUB PrintIp(addr) | i
      repeat i from 0 to 3
        pst.dec(byte[addr][i])
        if(i < 3)
          pst.char($2E)
        else
          pst.char($0D)

PUB OpenListeners | i

sock[i].Open

PUB StartListners | i
        if(sock[i].Listen)
          do_nothing
        else
          sock.Disconnect 
    PUB do_nothing
      return

PUB CloseWait | i
        if(sock[i].IsCloseWait) 
          sock[i].Disconnect
          sock[i].Close

if(sock[i].IsClosed)  
          sock[i].Open
          sock[i].Listen    

PUB check_lease
        if(dhcpLease - phsa/NCO_FREQ <  dhcpLease-10)
          pst.str(string(CR, "Renew DHCP Lease", CR))
          if(dhcp.RenewDhcp)
            PrintIp(dhcp.GetIp)
            phsa := 1
            pause(1500)

PUB MultiSocketServer | bytesToRead, i, page, j, x , bytesSent, ptr
      bytesToRead := bytesSent := i := j := x := 0

repeat     
        pst.str(string("TCP Service", CR))
        CloseWait

repeat until sock[i].Connected
          i := ++i // SOCKETS
          check_lease

pst.str(string("Connected Socket "))
        pst.dec(i)
        pst.char(CR)

'Data in the buffer?
        repeat until bytesToRead := sock[i].Available

if(bytesToRead < 0)
          pst.str(string("Timeout",CR))
          sock[i].Disconnect
          sock[i].Open
          sock[i].Listen
          bytesToRead~
          next

pst.str(string("Copy Rx Data",CR))

'Get the Rx buffer  
        sock[i].Receive(@buff, bytesToRead)

{{ Process the Rx data}}
        pst.char(CR)
        pst.str(string("Request:",CR))
        pst.str(@buff)

req.TokenizeHeader(@buff, bytesToRead)

page := ParseResource

pst.str(string("Send Response",CR)) 
        pst.str(string("Byte to send "))
        pst.dec(strsize(page))
        pst.char(CR)

bytesSent := 0
        ptr := page
        repeat until bytesSent == strsize(page)
          bytesSent += sock[i].Send(ptr, strsize(ptr))
          ptr := page + bytesSent

pst.str(string("Bytes Sent "))
        pst.dec(bytesSent)
        pst.char(CR)

pst.str(string("Disconnect socket "))
        pst.dec(i)
        pst.char(CR)

if(sock[i].Disconnect)
          pst.str(string("Disconnected", CR))
        else
          pst.str(string("Force Close", CR))
        sock[i].Open
        sock[i].Listen
        sock[i].SetSocketIR($FF)

i := ++i // SOCKETS
        bytesToRead~

Use dhcp.SetRequestIp to request an IP on the network. I use dhcp.SetRequestIp and HOSTS file to bind an IP to name.

the hostfile you refer to , is it also on the propeller , or is it hosten on a computer on your network ??
    if i understand it resolves tha ip to the hostname, how do I get it implemented with the current code , been trying to get the netbios running but its proven a little bit of headace. think you can point me in the propper direction/solution for the resolving to ip issue of the propeller
    edited 2012-12-02 12:31
    can you confirm this , or is this not the best way to keep it renewing even if there is no activity taking place for a long time.
    Looks good to me.
    the hostfile you refer to , is it also on the propeller , or is it hosten on a computer on your network ??
    if i understand it resolves tha ip to the hostname, how do I get it implemented with the current code ,
    The posted HOSTS file link contains details on HOSTS files, please read.
    been trying to get the netbios running but its proven a little bit of headace. think you can point me in the propper direction/solution for the resolving to ip issue of the propeller
    NetBIOS name services all that's needed to bind a name to IP. Essentially, it is a broadcast on the local network that lets everyone know that PROPNET is bound to an IP. This is unit test code so the code a little raw and not user friendly. If you need IP/Name resolution now, I suggest you do some research. The source code is open and can provide a template.

Once I get the time, I plan to convert the NetBIOS unit test into an object. Right now I'm very busy with the WizNet 5200 Quick Start.
    edited 2012-12-02 13:52
    Thanks Mike , the explanation you gave is loud and clear

Ill continue with the reading ,googeling and understanding the hole netbios routine . and testing
    ill do my best .
    Thanks again .
    edited 2012-12-02 16:01
    You can use the SetRequestId method of the dhcp object to request an IP during the DHCP process. If you set a high enough IP address and use a HOSTS file entry with the same IP you don't have too worry about IP reassignment.
    edited 2012-12-02 16:35
    You can use the SetRequestId method of the dhcp object to request an IP during the DHCP process. If you set a high enough IP address and use a HOSTS file entry with the same IP you don't have too worry about IP reassignment.

That can work too, but I dont think that is duable , if it is used in different networks every time ( customer) . maybe the network is using a completly different range of ip (e.g. 192.168.2.xx of 10.0.0.xx). then it wont work again .
    and you need to make a hostfile ever time

I think the netbios is the best solution , So the final controller is just a plug & play .
    network cable atached , switch on , acces by hostname
    ill be digging in the netbios for the next couple of days :p

an other question about the security issue .
    is an ssl or tls connection with the wiznet possible ?

I now use a secure tls connection with the database , where the html page is stored ( prop redirects to it ) .
    so the connection between a client , and my server is secured for a man in the middle sniffer,

but the connection from my server to the prop ( mine localy now , or one on an different ISP ( custemer )) is not secured .
    initialy there was the basic authentication, but I had to get over the option to keep it simple to make a new username and use it with the controller
    this was because the ( root) username was stored on the eerprom and not changable during normal use.
    now I use a database and php sesions to log in ,
    but the security is now gone ,

I was thinking of base enqripting the url that the prop serves , so at least they are not easily readable
    but a ssl of tls connection would be auwsem
    any good advise before i begin digging into the info?
    edited 2012-12-02 16:48
    is an ssl or tls connection with the wiznet possible ?
    It's possible. Someone would have to write the code which is rather complex and resource intensive.
    edited 2012-12-09 11:16
    Ok Mike , I have thout about it for long , wireshared the life out of my network , but still cant figure out why it works like it does

I know you told me more than once that the dhcp is not suppose to resolve the hostname to ip . but this was still the case with my modem and is part of an option that is possible to use via dhcp a cant leave it alone

anyway . there is something realy fishy going on

Now with the latest drives , the ISP modem where the resolving by DHCP used to works , It Only works for a couple of minuts .
    if I turn the prop on , let the dhcp procces go allong for it to get the ip assigned , i can resolve to ip just by using the hostname.
    new to this is that now after a couple of minutes (about 5min) after turning the prop on the hostname doesnt resolve anymore . sniffing lets me see that the modem is just not resolving.it anymore , as it did this just fine before. a dns query also doesnt return the ip adress.
    anyway . I went trying if the name also resolves on the linksys router for the first couple of minutes
    to my surprise , at the linksys router the resolving seems to be working fine overall , it didnt work before , now it does resolve the ip .

I see it uses a dns query to resolve it , looks like its also a bit slower , if a see the repeated xml request going out . but it is resolving with the linksys modem

isp long log.zip
    ISP modem, resolving by hostname worked fine before , ate No 1254 in the log , was the last time it new the correct ip , after that it didnt resolve anymore , all the rest of the data looks to be the same..

browser looking for hostname and resolving succesfull.zip
    succesful hostname resolve with the linksys modem , didnt resolve the hostname at all before

Maybe the hostname by dhcp wil work afterall , hope we can get out of this one

UPDATE
    I noticed in the discovery packet.the hostname is inserted in the discovery packet correctly in the dhcp option field 12 . wich is the correct place for it . ,
    but at the parameter request list , there is no request going on for the hostname , so I added it to it ( 0C = option 12 for the hostname )
    paramReq        byte  $01, $03, $06, $0C, $2A ' Paramter Request; mask, router, domain name server, hostname ,network time

and increced the size from 4 to 5 in the pub.
    it seems to me that it was a missing step .
    but this doesnt make it all work. as my isp modem resolved correctly for a couple of minutes then fails

long log isp 2012.zip, Here the hostname resolving is clearly visable working at first , happering around alltle ,. then stopping, ,

#3 discovery
    #5 offer
    #6 request
    #7 Ack
    #8 first query done ( im trying to open the page http:/px-210/ in my brouwser )
    #12 Query returns a ip adres , brouser knows where to find it , page opens up

til this part the calling by hostname works fine ,. after this it wil continue working for some time
    . targeting the right ip directly without needing to query the hostname all the time

at
    # 108 , # 1040 , # 2016 and # 2687
    it loozes the ip ( or somtingelse ) does a new query for the hostname , and the 3 the query result beeing the correct one , then resumes correct. for those thimes ,
    one thing stands out , that every thime it happens the previus package( before it starts the hostname query ) is one of the prop to the modem , havind the ack and the sequence number , Maybe the prop haging there somewhere or not providing the correct follow up number ??
    tttttttttt.jpg

at # 2976 it does a query again , but it doesnt resolve anymore. why ? not a clue . one thing again , the package before the queing started again was the same ,letting me think the prop is formatting it wrongl , . any idear ?
    couldent realy find any thing diferent with the package from the previous succesfull ones
    edited 2012-12-09 18:57
    Igor_Rast, you are not using the DHCP object as intended. The DHCP object is designed to retrieve an IP address from a local DHCP server.

I have no idea why the system behaves as described in post #76.
    edited 2012-12-10 08:01
    According to RFC 2132 a DHCP server may register DNS on the behave of the client if the host name option (12) is present in the DHCP REQUEST. However, using host name option (12) to facilitate a DNS registration is not the recommended method, according to RFC 2135. The option is undefined, as related to DNS, and may led to interoperability problems.

RFC 2135 recommends the following preferred methods for DNS registration
    • Issuing direct updates to DNS
    • Using the DHCP client FQDN option

Of course the DHCP server must support proxy DNS.
    edited 2012-12-10 15:00
    According to RFC 2132 a DHCP server may register DNS on the behave of the client if the host name option (12) is present in the DHCP REQUEST. However, using host name option (12) to facilitate a DNS registration is not the recommended method, according to RFC 2135. The option is undefined, as related to DNS, and may led to interoperability problems.

RFC 2135 recommends the following preferred methods for DNS registration
    • Issuing direct updates to DNS
    • Using the DHCP client FQDN option

Of course the DHCP server must support proxy DNS.

that is exactly what I was reading asking about,
    I went on to try the fqdn option #81 . doing the following ,in the dhcp object
    CON
      FQDN_OPTION         = 81

DAT 
      paramReq        byte  $01, $03, $06, $51 '   { $0C for hostname (12), $51 for fqdn (81)  }

PRI Discover & Request

'WriteDhcpOption(HOST_NAME, strsize(@hostName), @hostName)
      WriteDhcpOption(FQDN_OPTION, 9, @fqdn)

producing the following option according the the discription for the fqdn
    kkkkkkkkkk.jpg

im not complety sure if im using the correct format for the fqdn . if it is just px-210 or px-210.local or px-210.lan as lan is what the servers sends back as the domain name . ?
    all with all , this doesnt do what i wish it would , that is regestering the hostname with the modem dns

the support proxy DNS you mentiond is the only for the issuing of a direct update to the dns ,. or with the fqdn option?
    591 x 560 - 53K
    edited 2012-12-11 09:44
    I can not reproduce the behavior described. My network never resolves the DHCP host name option (12).

IMO, figure out what's going on with your network. How does it resolves names. One clue is the DNS query originating from x.x.x151. The DNS query starts with px-210.local.domain to px-210.local and finally px-210. Why?

It looks like Multicast DNS but except not on port 5353.
    edited 2012-12-12 13:58
    One clue is the DNS query originating from x.x.x151. The DNS query starts with px-210.local.domain to px-210.local and finally px-210. Why?

the 192.168.2.151 is the pc that has the brouwser open thats asking for the http://px-210/xmltemp from the prop .
    so the dns that gets resolved the 3 try , has to get be getting resolved by the modem , . but after some time it just stops .

Im still digging trying to figure out why

with the linksys modem the hostname now also seems to resolve ( chrome I think makes the query requests ) and it gets the correct ip on the 3 try , just like the isp modem , but now it never stops working , and with the isp modem it does , confusing

anyway , ill be digging into it these days hoping to find the solution for my hostname resolving ,

i was thinking of letting the propeller return a dns package with the right ip of the host , just like the modem does the dns query resolve. when it resolves succesfully ,
    and just set the adres target and sourse to those values of the modem ,try to fake the brouwser its recieving them from the isp modem , but its realy the prop sending them , maybe it wil work