Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Hostname Expired ?? Ip stil working ; DHCP renew Leastime - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Hostname Expired ?? Ip stil working ; DHCP renew Leastime

Comments

• twctwc Posts: 107
    edited 2012-11-21 04:01
    ...your DNS tweak nailed it Mike, multi-passes thru DHCP (with my needed wiz.SetIp(0,0,0,0)) and DNS now working! I'll let you know if I come across any issues, but now the package handles everything I'm doing. Good time to reiterate just how amazing and appreciated your work is!
    edited 2012-11-21 04:17
    Igor_Rast wrote: »
    @twc ,
    i added the wiz.SetIp(0,0,0,0) inside the repeat to test out for you ,
    letting my code look like below
    PUB Main | i, page, dnsServer,remoteIP

wiz.HardReset(nRESET_WIZ)

i := 0

pst.Start(115_200)
      pause(500)

pst.str(string("Initialize W5200", CR))
      wiz.start(6, 5, 4, 7) 
      wiz.SetMac($00, $08, $DC, $16, $F8, $01)

pst.str(string("Getting network paramters", CR))

repeat 
        wiz.SetIp(0,0,0,0)
        dhcp.Init(@buff, 7)
        pst.str(string("Requesting IP....."))

Changing this didnt seem to have any effect on the workings , the senario that did work already keeps working , and to others still dont work. and behave the same
    so this doesnt affect my setup

...thanks for checking Igor. If adding the wiz.SetIp(0,0,0,0) to DHCP does no harm it's something to consider/remember if people find it necessary as I do (my setup pretty widely used, Netgear router & ATT ISP).
    edited 2012-11-21 04:34
    ...Just to say I agree scenarios are too varied, better to leave DHCP lease renewal to the app. The idea of devoting a cog to DHCP overkill in most cases. But I could see combining RTC, DHCP lease renewal and NNTP (for RTC setting/correction) in a time&housekeeper cog. Would have to be pretty careful 'sharing' the SPI/W5200/network between cogs.
  • Igor_RastIgor_Rast Posts: 357
    edited 2012-11-21 06:49
    Mike G wrote: »
    I remember reading about Linux having some smart network configuration that will automatically resolve client names to IPs when issuing DHCP. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with your setup. It does appear your ISP modem can resolve name to IP. Have you looked at the manual?

I think the assumption that the modem is resolving the ip adres is the case is correct , Dont think the linux smart networking you talk about has anything to do with my current setup . because the linux pc is using static ip and not dhcp. actualy i can not even see the linux pc or its ip (192.168.2.151 static )anywhere in the modem page , but it does work fine. so i didnt bother , with it anymore ,
    If i use a other laptop that I have that does use dhcp to get its ip adress on the ISP modem , then also I can acces the prop by hostname, So i think its safe to say my ISP modem is responsible for the resolvingby the DHCP hostname. I just cant find the datasheet of manual of it anywhere to be 100 %
    Mike G wrote: »
    nmap found the name by broadcasting NetBIOS name services. Go figure! The main reason I created NetBIOS name services was because the DHCP host name did not resolve to an IP. I remember being very happy to find a DHCP option for Host Name. I though it would work - I was wrong.

Hihi , its always a good feeling to know that you were always on the right track .finding others used the same solution only makes that feeling stronger ,

So for me i think I sould forget about the dns , and get the netbios running along with the html5graph .
    So for my modem the hostname is enough to let it resolve ,
    and in other networks it wil resolve by netbios. Making it resolve in both senarios .

twc wrote: »
    ...thanks for checking Igor. If adding the wiz.SetIp(0,0,0,0) to DHCP does no harm it's something to consider/remember if people find it necessary as I do (my setup pretty widely used, Netgear router & ATT ISP).

Im happy I could help. no thanks need , do apriciate it :p ,
    maybe indeed a good idee to leave the statment inside so it also works with yours also , as it didnt seem to affect it anyway . But it will work for sure in those 2 senarios

...Just to say I agree scenarios are too varied, better to leave DHCP lease renewal to the app. The idea of devoting a cog to DHCP overkill in most cases.
    I also agree the senarios are varied.and the idea of an onther cog sounds scarry to be because im already almost runnign out of resources on the prop , with the other stuff i also have running along with the wiznet. a more stupid code :p just renewing the leasetime after a given count orso to get the leasetime never to run out ,
    Leaving DHCP renewal to the app . any demos on how that wil be done ?
    edited 2012-11-21 07:58
    ...if your app is aware of real-time it can schedule the lease renewal explicitly. If not, I think the idea of just renewing 'frequently' (ex: based on a counter of your main loop) would suffice. If an app connects infrequently/sporadically just renew the lease and check DNS everytime. Another idea would be to just renew the lease and update DNS only if/when a network error occurs.
  • Mike GMike G Posts: 2,702
    edited 2012-11-21 19:17
    Leaving DHCP renewal to the app . any demos on how that wil be done ?

Not so much a demo more like a counter hack. This example uses Counter B to create an NCO mode 610 Hz square wave on pin 7. Counter A is setup as a Positive Edge detector listening on pin 7. Every second the PHSA register increases by 610. We can use this setup to create a seconds timer. The trade-off is we need a spare pin.
    CON
      _clkmode = xtal1 + pll16x     
      _xinfreq = 5_000_000

CNT_PIN         = 7
      USB_Rx          = 31
      USB_Tx          = 30
      NCO_FREQ        = 610         '($8000)(80x10^6)/2^32 = 610.3516Hz                           
      FREQ_610        = $8000       ' AN001-P8X32ACounters-v2.0_2.pdf (page 6)
    VAR

DAT
      dhcpLease long  86400

OBJ
      pst           : "Parallax Serial Terminal"

PUB Main | freq

'Detect if a USB cable is connected
      if ina[USB_Rx] == 0       
        outa[USB_Tx] := 0       
      else                                                    
        pst.Start(115_200)      
        pause(500)

'Setup a 610 Hz square wave on pin 7
      ctrb := %00100_000 << 23 + 1 << 9 + CNT_PIN 
      frqb := FREQ_610 
      dira[CNT_PIN] := 1

'Positive edge counter on pin 7
      ctra := %01010 << 26 + CNT_PIN
      frqa := 1

'UI so we can see the affect of the counter
      repeat
        pst.char(0)
        pst.char(1)  
        pst.dec(86400 - phsa/NCO_FREQ)
        pause(500)
        'Reset the counter
        if( (86400 - phsa/NCO_FREQ) < 86395 )
          pst.char(0)
          pst.str(string($01,"*** Reset ***"))
          pause(2000)
          phsa := 1

PRI pause(Duration)  
      waitcnt(((clkfreq / 1_000 * Duration - 3932) #> 381) + cnt)
      return

edited 2012-11-22 08:55
    ...as I'm using the REPEATed DHCP (i.e. lease renewal) noticed some possible anomalies - here's the code. Notice I added variables t2 and t3 to track passes through the loop and number of failures respectively. I also commented out the 'return' in the error handler so it keeps running passes.
    REPEAT
      pause(1000)
      t2++
      wiz.SetIp(0,0,0,0)
      dhcp.Init(@buff, 7)
      bytefill(@buff, 0, $F0)
      t1 := 0
      repeat until dhcp.DoDhcp
        if(++t1 > DHCP_ATTEMPTS)
          quit
      if(t1 > DHCP_ATTEMPTS)
        pst.char(CR) 
        pst.str(string(CR, "DHCP Attempts: "))
        pst.dec(t1)
        pst.str(string(CR, "Error Code: "))
        pst.dec(dhcp.GetErrorCode)
        pst.char(CR)
        pst.str(dhcp.GetErrorMessage)
        pst.char(CR)
        pst.char(CR)
        t3++
     '   return
      else
        PrintIp(dhcp.GetIp)
        pst.str(string("DHCP Attempts "))
        pst.dec(t1)
        pst.char(CR) 
        pst.str(string("DHCP Passes/Errors "))
        pst.dec(t2)
        pst.str(string(" / "))
        pst.dec(t3)
        pst.char(CR) 

Letting it run for awhile, the result is...

1. Maybe 2% of the passes there's a 'Discover Error' (as an aside, I notice that for my setup non-error cases always succeed first attempt of dhcp.DoDhcp)
    Perhaps my Netgear wireless router/gateway (the DHCP Server) is sometimes pre-occupied? Anyway, I don't consider this a showstopper, it's as simple as trying again (which seems like the only choice with DHCP anyway i.e. app isn't going anywhere until it gets an IP). Here's the display when the Discover error occurs...
    Requesting IP.....10.0.0.153
    DHCP Attempts 0
    DHCP Passes/Errors 361 / 10
    Requesting IP.....
    DHCP Attempts: 4
    Error Code: 1
    Discover Error
    Requesting IP.....10.0.0.157
    DHCP Attempts 0
    DHCP Passes/Errors 363 / 11

2. But after a number of passes (random) it crashes...

[code]
    DHCP Attempts 0
    DHCP Passes/Errors 410 / 11
    DHCP Attempts 0
    DHCP Passes/Errors 411 / 11
    Requesting IP.....5 M4
    edited 2012-11-22 13:17
    I have to say I agree with twc, went testing myself ,., but used the code i posted in post #22 to do the repeated dhcp assignment , and I also have the occuracne of the hole thing going Hi wire.
    First time it happend ,the same thing came to my mind that in the normal case senario I would not repeat it that often that fast, probably what caused it to go nuts .

anyway , testing it and sniffing it wit wireshark. @twc . dont know if you already have wireshark but it helps allot, you wouldendt need the dhcpdemo to see the package, you could just sniff it out .

I have the same thing happening ,
    I have also noticed that when it goes nuts , the last package recieved is an a offer from the modem
    22222.jpg

I did compare a few offer packages, but there doesnt look like theres something wrong with the data inside the pagage generated by the modem , so proably its inside the offer routine somthing unexpected happening ,
    hopefully mike could share some more light on this , and knows wats going on .

and 2 logs showing ,log 1 it happens pretty fast, log 2 it takes much longer but also going Hi wire
    LOG.zip
    1024 x 609 - 165K
    edited 2012-11-22 13:56
    @Mike , About the Counter hack , Nice Demo . I never understud those counters, but the demmo surely llets you understand if fast.
    ill have to do more of the readig part on those counters, the freq is like just what i need to build a vfd also for the pwm , anyway. i think thats going to work out fine , for the dhcp renewal .

for the trade off pin ,
    do you think using pin 30 or 31 wil do harm ? , I am currently not using them for anything else than the pst , and im not planning to leave the pst function on the controller anway .
    of is this not a good idear, im pretty much using all the pins or already had other plans for them :P
    did a test running it on ping 31 , and looks to work fine, just don't know with my very limited knowledge about those counters if thats a
    edited 2012-11-22 16:18
    I also wondered about over-running the router, tried increasing the delay, still fails at 30 seconds. Thanks for trying it Igor and the wireshark. My router is the DHCP server so my PC with wireshark can't see any of the DHCP activity.
    edited 2012-11-24 07:55
    The earlier (now solved) problem REPEATing DNS seemed to be caused by a data re-use issue (i.e. hostname was corrupted across iterations). So it would work if REPEAT was replaced with iREBOOT because the data was re-initialized each time. But with this REPEATing DHCP glitch I find that's not the case i.e. it still crashes eventually (garbage output to terminal) even if REPEAT is changed to REBOOT. Difference implies it's not the same kind of 're-use' problem, maybe helps narrow down the options.
    edited 2012-11-26 05:19
    also , after removing the following lines back , removing the dns out of the object,
    pst.str(string("Resolve domain IP.")) 
        dns.Init(@buff, 6)
        remoteIP := dns.ResolveDomain(@url1)
        PrintIp(remoteIP)
        pst.char(CR)

it doesnt seem to stop it from crashing , so the bug is probably inside the dhcp object , and not the dns ,
    some more narrowing down
    edited 2012-11-26 06:10
    Just got back from my family vacation. I believe I found the origin of the error. I'll post updated source once verified.

Thanks for your help.
    edited 2012-11-26 06:59
    Hey Mike:

Hope you had a nice vacation - you certainly deserve it!

In my testing the DNS appears solid, the issue is with DHCP. The failure frequency is low, but it can occur at any time. The fact it will eventually fail immediately after REBOOTing (and also tried wiz.HardwareReset) would seem to indicate the problem is not loop iteration or data reuse related (except possibly data that is NOT initialized by REBOOT (local vars I think?)).
    edited 2012-11-26 09:24
    Hey Mike:

Hope you had a nice vacation - you certainly deserve it!

Just what I wanted to say , A family vacation is always nice , and certainly deserve it after all the hard work with the wiznet , let allong your normal daily things,

Looking forward to seeing the fix .
    edited 2012-11-27 07:46
    Updated the following files.
    • Dhcp.spin
    • DhcpDemo.spin
    • Socket.spin

Cause:
    A complete DHCP Offer/ACK packet is not received after a Discover/Request DHCP packet is sent.

Solution:
    Continue to receive bytes If the receive packet is not complete. A packet is determined complete when the UPD header data length field equals the data received minus the UPD header length (8).

This solution does not stop packet errors. Packet errors occur if the process times out while receiving an Offer/ACK or the received packet type is unexpected.

Give it a shot and let me know.
    edited 2012-11-27 08:43
    Mike that works like a charm
    it must be the vacation :p.

i have let it run for 30 minut on my isp modem ,. with a pause(500) so pretty fast loop . but it runs finee without any problems.
    just to be sure I am running it now on the linksys modem too . till now everything looks nice.

think that did the job,
    comming pretty close to removing all the w5200 bugs i think ?

the packet errors you talk about , will they cause the program to go crazy like before ,. didnt realy understand if that cenario is now still possible knowing it reneaws the ip fine nou .
    Nice explination about the cause anyway

UPDATE : The Linksys modem also seems to work fine , have run it for 45 min pause(500) , no problems . Nice job mike
    edited 2012-11-27 09:06
    the packet errors you talk about , will they cause the program to go crazy like before
    It's not supposed to go crazy. The program broke loose due to an unexpected UPD packet length.
    edited 2012-11-27 09:29
    ben trying to get the counter to work , not getting pretty far ,
    another thing , the leasetime function doesnt seem pretty usefull now , because i can only call it along with the whole ip renewal . I only repeat getleasetime that it doesnt work , If i repeat it all , the leasetime also gets renewd , so i am unable to get the count going down
    or I will have to stick to the idear of a stupid couter , just some thouts that the leasetime probably wil be different on different modems so getting the actual leastime ,or at least the the starting leastime and then couting down till half that.

could realy use some help with there counters,. ive assingd pin 17 , but realy want to use 30 or 31
    PUB Main | i  
      cognew(Tempcontrol,@stack1)  
      cognew(controller,@stack2)  

i:=0

pst.Start(115_200)      
        pause(500)

'Setup a 610 Hz square wave on pin 31

'Positive edge counter on pin 31

wiz.start(6, 5, 4, 7) 

dhcp.Init(@buff, 7)
      DHCP_SETUP_IP

repeat      
        pause(500)

pst.dec(86400 - phsa/NCO_FREQ)
        pst.char(CR)

if( (dhcpLease - phsa/NCO_FREQ) < (dhcpLease-20) )
           DHCP_SETUP_IP

PUB DHCP_SETUP_IP | i, dnsServer

repeat until dhcp.DoDhcp
          if(++i > DHCP_ATTEMPTS)
            quit

if(dhcp.GetErrorCode > 0 OR i > DHCP_ATTEMPTS)
          pst.char(CR) 
          pst.dec(i)
          pst.char(CR)
          pst.char(CR)

return
        else
          PrintIp(dhcp.GetIp)

pst.str(string("DNS..............."))
        dnsServer := wiz.GetDns
        PrintIp(wiz.GetDns)

pst.str(string("DHCP Server......."))
        printIp(wiz.GetDhcpServerIp)

pst.str(string("Router IP........."))
        printIp(wiz.GetRouter)

pst.str(string("Gateway IP........"))                                        
        printIp(wiz.GetGatewayIp)

pst.str(string("Lease Time........"))
        dhcpLease := dhcp.GetLeaseTime
        pst.dec(dhcp.GetLeaseTime)
        pst.char(CR)
        pst.char(CR)

pause(500)

UPDATE . I have updated the code above , I know have working that the leasetime is taken out of the dhcp , and countdown begin ,
    but the instance i put the repeatloop of the mulitsocket sever , it hangs again , like the counter dont want to work with the multisocket
    edited 2012-11-27 14:45
    I turn on the counter after the DHCP process completes. The code block below, within the server service, renews the DHCP lease about every 10 seconds.
    PUB MultiSocketServer | bytesToRead, i, page, j, x , bytesSent, ptr
      bytesToRead := bytesSent := i := j := x := 0
      repeat

if(dhcpLease - phsa/NCO_FREQ <  dhcpLease-10)
          pst.str(string(CR, "Renew DHCP Lease", CR))
          if(dhcp.DoDhcp)
            PrintIp(dhcp.GetIp)
            pause(1500)

edited 2012-11-27 16:01
    Re: DHCP - been running the stress test (and also DNS) for quite awhile - looks solid as a rock Mike! Just had to add wiz.SetIp(0,0,0,0) to work with my Netgear...
      ' Stress test   
      REPEAT
        wiz.SetIp(0,0,0,0)     'My Netgear needs this

...without it I get 'Discover Error' on 2nd pass as mentioned in earlier posts. Does wiz.SetIp(0,0,0,0) affect operation on your setup? Igor mentioned it worked ok on his (i.e. not necessary, but benign). Could be a router bug/'feature' other Netgear users may encounter, keep in mind if it comes up.
    edited 2012-11-27 16:52
    Ok , letting the counter start after the ip fetching seems to do it ,
    but there s still something not right ,

If there is countiues communication between the client and the server , then the dhcp renewal works fine , I can see the dhcp getting renewd after about the 10 seconds ,

but if there is no communication between the 2 , meaning , if i just turn it on , and dont open the page, the dhcp never renews. meaning , if there is no activity for a long time , the leastime still wil run out ,

how to let it run independedn if there is activity or not ?
      repeat 

if( (dhcpLease - phsa/NCO_FREQ) < (dhcpLease-10) )
           DHCP_SETUP_IP
        pst.str(string("TCP Service", CR))
        CloseWait
        {
        repeat j from 0 to SOCKETS-1
          pst.str(string("Socket "))
          pst.dec(j)
          pst.str(string(" = "))
          pst.hex(wiz.GetSocketStatus(j), 2)
          pst.char(13)
        } 
        repeat until sock[i].Connected
          i := ++i // SOCKETS

pst.str(string("Connected Socket "))
        pst.dec(i)
        pst.char(CR)

'Data in the buffer?
        repeat until bytesToRead := sock[i].Available

if(bytesToRead < 0)
          pst.str(string("Timeout",CR))
          sock[i].Disconnect
          sock[i].Open
          sock[i].Listen
          bytesToRead~
          next

pst.str(string("Copy Rx Data",CR))

'Get the Rx buffer  
        sock[i].Receive(@buff, bytesToRead)

{{ Process the Rx data}}
        pst.char(CR)
        pst.str(string("Request:",CR))
        pst.str(@buff)

req.TokenizeHeader(@buff, bytesToRead)

page := ParseResource

pst.str(string("Send Response",CR)) 
        pst.str(string("Byte to send "))
        pst.dec(strsize(page))
        pst.char(CR)

bytesSent := 0
        ptr := page
        repeat until bytesSent == strsize(page)
          bytesSent += sock[i].Send(ptr, strsize(ptr))
          ptr := page + bytesSent

pst.str(string("Bytes Sent "))
        pst.dec(bytesSent)
        pst.char(CR)

pst.str(string("Disconnect socket "))
        pst.dec(i)
        pst.char(CR)

if(sock[i].Disconnect)
          pst.str(string("Disconnected", CR))
        else
          pst.str(string("Force Close", CR))
        sock[i].Open
        sock[i].Listen
        sock[i].SetSocketIR($FF)

bytesToRead~

PUB Main | i  

pst.Start(115_200)      
      pause(500)

wiz.start(6, 5, 4, 7) 

dhcp.Init(@buff, 7)
      DHCP_SETUP_IP
      start_couter

repeat  
        repeat i from 0 to SOCKETS-1
          sock[i].Init(i, TCP, 80)

OpenListeners
        StartListners    
        \MultiSocketServer 
        pause(500)

wiz.SetIp(0,0,0,0)                             {twc suggestion for netgear }

repeat until dhcp.DoDhcp
          if(++i > DHCP_ATTEMPTS)
            quit

pst.char(CR) 
          pst.dec(i)
          pst.char(CR)
          pst.char(CR)

return
        else
          PrintIp(dhcp.GetIp)

PrintIp(wiz.GetDns)

printIp(wiz.GetRouter)

pst.char(CR)

return
    PUB start_couter

Another thing mike, The last source update , or maybe it was the one before , stoped the hostname from gettting resolved by my isp modem , Now I can only acces it by ip . Maybe a clue ?
    I will need to get the netbios up anyway so I didnt realy mind it , just thout its a good thing to mention as it worked fine before , but not anymore
    UPDATE , a modem restart made it resolved back , so the senario is the same
    edited 2012-11-27 17:21
    Does wiz.SetIp(0,0,0,0) affect operation on your setup? Igor mentioned it worked ok on his (i.e. not necessary, but benign). Could be a router bug/'feature' other Netgear users may encounter, keep in mind if it comes up.

I just don't know. I can use invoke wiz.SetIp(0,0,0,0) - or not - without issues.

I updated DhcpDemo.spin to include Discover/Offer and Request/Ack packets in PST. If you can post screenshots of the transactions, maybe something will jump out.

One thing that comes to mind, routers are also switches. Switches can persist routes. I believe 0.0.0.0 like 255.255.255.255 is a broadcast IP. We could be looking at some kind of route table that needs to be cleared?
    edited 2012-11-28 12:11
    Ok , I think I got it figured out guys , the dhcp renews beautifully after the 10 seconds inserted .

I did start the counter after the dhcp like mike suggested , and madea small pub that checks the leasetime ,
    PUB check_lease

if((dhcpLease - phsa/NCO_FREQ) < (dhcpLease-10))
           DHCP_SETUP_IP
           return

Inside thu multisocketserver pub
          check_lease

to keep it always repeating , before the prop gets stuck in the loop if there is noo active connection to the prop. now it cheks the leasetime succesfully .
    ofcourese im doing to change it time to (dhcpLease/2) so it renews at half the leasetime ,Supose to get the problem fixed now
    PUB Main | i  

pst.Start(115_200)      
      pause(500)

wiz.start(6, 5, 4, 7) 

dhcp.Init(@buff, 7)
      DHCP_SETUP_IP
      start_couter

repeat  

repeat i from 0 to SOCKETS-1
          sock[i].Init(i, TCP, 80)

OpenListeners
        StartListners    
        \MultiSocketServer 
        pause(500)

repeat until dhcp.DoDhcp
          if(++i > DHCP_ATTEMPTS)
            quit

pst.char(CR) 
          pst.dec(i)
          pst.char(CR)
          pst.char(CR)

return
        else
          PrintIp(dhcp.GetIp)

PrintIp(wiz.GetDns)

printIp(wiz.GetRouter)

pst.char(CR)

return

PUB start_couter

return

repeat 

pst.str(string("TCP Service", CR))
        CloseWait

repeat j from 0 to SOCKETS-1
          pst.str(string("Socket "))
          pst.dec(j)
          pst.str(string(" = "))
          pst.hex(wiz.GetSocketStatus(j), 2)
          pst.char(13)

check_lease

pst.str(string("Connected Socket "))
        pst.dec(i)
        pst.char(CR)

'Data in the buffer?
        repeat until bytesToRead := sock[i].Available

if(bytesToRead < 0)
          pst.str(string("Timeout",CR))
          sock[i].Disconnect
          sock[i].Open
          sock[i].Listen
          bytesToRead~
          next

pst.str(string("Copy Rx Data",CR))

'Get the Rx buffer  
        sock[i].Receive(@buff, bytesToRead)

{{ Process the Rx data}}
        pst.char(CR)
        pst.str(string("Request:",CR))
        pst.str(@buff)

req.TokenizeHeader(@buff, bytesToRead)

page := ParseResource

pst.str(string("Send Response",CR)) 
        pst.str(string("Byte to send "))
        pst.dec(strsize(page))
        pst.char(CR)

bytesSent := 0
        ptr := page
        repeat until bytesSent == strsize(page)
          bytesSent += sock[i].Send(ptr, strsize(ptr))
          ptr := page + bytesSent

pst.str(string("Bytes Sent "))
        pst.dec(bytesSent)
        pst.char(CR)

pst.str(string("Disconnect socket "))
        pst.dec(i)
        pst.char(CR)

if(sock[i].Disconnect)
          pst.str(string("Disconnected", CR))
        else
          pst.str(string("Force Close", CR))
        sock[i].Open
        sock[i].Listen
        sock[i].SetSocketIR($FF)

bytesToRead~

edited 2012-11-28 14:27
    Didn't mean to imply my setups need to use wiz.SetIp(0,0,0,0) is a problem, just a curiousity, something to keep in mind if others get a 'Discover Error' trying to renew (i.e. calling do.Dhcp more than once).
    edited 2012-11-28 18:01
    Didn't mean to imply my setups need to use wiz.SetIp(0,0,0,0) is a problem, just a curiousity, something to keep in mind if others get a 'Discover Error' trying to renew (i.e. calling do.Dhcp more than once).

Well, it just does not make sense and I'd like to know what's going on. The IP is written to the WizNet register using the YIADDR segment of the Offer packet. I'm curious what the second set of packets look like.
    edited 2012-11-29 03:36
    Hey Mike:

Here's the display from DhcpDemo.spin for two passes using this code...
      REPEAT 2
    '    wiz.SetIp(0,0,0,0)
        t1 := 0
        repeat until DoDhcp
          if(++t1 > ATTEMPTS)
            quit
        if(t1 > ATTEMPTS)
          pst.char(CR) 

With the wiz.SetIp(0,0,0,0) included it completes both passes correctly...
    Initialize
    -----------------------------------------------------
          00 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 0A 0B 0C 0D 0E 0F
          -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
    0000  01 01 06 00 63 6D 7F 23 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    0010  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 08 DC 17
    0020  62 CA 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    0030  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    0040  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    0050  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    0060  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    0070  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    0080  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    0090  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    00A0  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    00B0  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    00C0  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    00D0  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    00E0  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 63 82 53 63
    00F0  35 01 01 37 04 01 03 06 2A 0C 07 70 72 6F 70 6E
    0100  65 74 FF 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    0110  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    0120  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    0130  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    0140  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    0150  00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    Start: 275 Len: 342

Message from.......10.0.0.1:67 (548)
    Bytes to Read......556
    0000  0A 00 00 01 00 43 02 24 02 01 06 00 63 6D 7F 23
    0010  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 9D 00 00 00 00
    0020  00 00 00 00 00 08 DC 17 62 CA 00 00 00 00 00 00
    00E0  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    00F0  00 00 00 00 63 82 53 63 35 01 02 36 04 0A 00 00
    0100  01 33 04 00 01 51 64 01 04 FF FF FF 00 03 04 0A
    0110  00 00 01 06 04 0A 00 00 01 FF 00 00 00 00 00 00
    0150  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    0160  00
    Start: 275 Len: 352

0000  01 01 06 00 63 6D 7F 23 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    0010  00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 01 00 00 00 00 00 08 DC 17
    00F0  35 01 03 32 04 0A 00 00 9D 36 04 0A 00 00 01 0C
    0100  07 70 72 6F 70 6E 65 74 FF 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

Bytes to Read......556
    0000  0A 00 00 01 00 43 02 24 02 01 06 00 63 6D 7F 23
    00F0  00 00 00 00 63 82 53 63 35 01 05 36 04 0A 00 00
    0100  01 33 04 00 01 51 80 01 04 FF FF FF 00 03 04 0A
    0160  00
    Assigned IP........10.0.0.157
    0000  01 01 06 00 5F 23 08 E5 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    00F0  35 01 01 32 04 0A 00 00 9D 37 04 01 03 06 2A 0C

Bytes to Read......556
    0000  0A 00 00 01 00 43 02 24 02 01 06 00 5F 23 08 E5
    0100  01 33 04 00 01 51 7F 01 04 FF FF FF 00 03 04 0A
    0160  00

0000  01 01 06 00 5F 23 08 E5 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    00F0  35 01 03 32 04 0A 00 00 9D 36 04 0A 00 00 01 0C

Bytes to Read......556
    0000  0A 00 00 01 00 43 02 24 02 01 06 00 5F 23 08 E5
    0160  00
    Assigned IP........10.0.0.157

...now here's the display with wiz.SetIp(0,0,0,0) commented out...
    Initialize
    0000  01 01 06 00 61 36 5F 57 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    00F0  35 01 01 37 04 01 03 06 2A 0C 07 70 72 6F 70 6E
    0100  65 74 FF 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

Bytes to Read......556
    0000  0A 00 00 01 00 43 02 24 02 01 06 00 61 36 5F 57
    0010  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 9E 00 00 00 00
    0160  00

0000  01 01 06 00 61 36 5F 57 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    00F0  35 01 03 32 04 0A 00 00 9E 36 04 0A 00 00 01 0C

Bytes to Read......556
    0000  0A 00 00 01 00 43 02 24 02 01 06 00 61 36 5F 57
    0010  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 9E 00 00 00 00
    0160  00
    Assigned IP........10.0.0.158
    0000  01 01 06 00 F3 0B CA FD 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    00F0  35 01 01 32 04 0A 00 00 9E 37 04 01 03 06 2A 0C

0000  01 01 06 00 97 93 92 92 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

0000  01 01 06 00 73 F3 91 CA 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

0000  01 01 06 00 33 E3 22 C2 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

0000  01 01 06 00 27 B7 FD 35 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

0000  01 01 06 00 67 5D 2F 2E 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

DHCP Attempts: 6
    Error Code: 1
    Discover Error

...I was googling DHCP a bit to see if I could get some insight. I didn't find a clear answer, but vague mentions like...
    The process of acquiring an IP address is described here
    [LIST]
    [*][B]Step 1[/B]     The client workstation boots and initializes with a "null 
    IP address" that lets it communicate with the DHCP server using TCP/IP. It 
    prepares a message that contains its MAC address (for example, the hardwired 
    address of its Ethernet adapter) and its computer name. The message may also 
    contain a previous IP address that it has leased from a DHCP server. The client 
    "broadcasts" the message on the network and continues to send the message until 
    it receives a response from the server.
    [/LIST]

...this implies the source ip should be 'null ip address' while current (ex: previously accepted) ip address is in the 'message'. My setup always gets the same ip address each iteration I was guessing because the mac address is unchanged (if mac changed, DHCP correctly returns a different ip address).

EDIT: Just noticed in the above examples the IP assigned by DHCP changes, maybe a clue...

1. If I run the two iteration loop with, and then without, wiz.SetIp(0,0,0,0) the four instances result = 157,157,157,Discover Error
    2. If I reverse the order (i.e. without, then with wiz.SetIp) result = 158,Discover Error, 157,157

Hope this helps answer your question Mike , let me know if I can instrument the code, run addl tests.
    edited 2012-11-29 11:15
    On the second loop the Discover packet is (I believe) sent from 10.0.0.157 but the Offer packet does not return. If the Discover packet is sent from 0.0.0.0 then the offer packet is returned. I'll have to look more into it but I'd think the source IP in a DHCP request should not matter. The source IP should be a valid network IP though. What about the other network parameters, are they correct?
    edited 2012-11-29 14:54
    Yes, for my setup DHCP has never worked with any src ip other than 0.0.0.0. - even a valid ip (whether set manually or, as in this case, the address (10.0.0.157) returned by the first iteration). I'm guessing doDhcp works the first time after reset/F10 for my setup because the chip and/or your software is coming up with src ip at 0.0.0.0. Once the src ip is changed (i.e. to a net valid ip) the next call to doDhcp will fail. But the wiz.SetIp(0,0,0,0) fix seems completely effective. As for the other net parameters, everything seems fine - all the server/router/gateway addresses are the same (i.e. 10.0.0.1 which is the address of the router/gateway). Maybe it's just an issue/difference for Netgear? .
    edited 2012-11-29 15:51
    I have an idea how to fix it. I'll let you know when the code base is updated.