Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
ELEV-8 Flight Simulators — Parallax Forums

ELEV-8 Flight Simulators

Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
edited 2012-10-26 19:11 in Robotics
Do any of you have suggestions on what simulator to use in order to learn to fly quadcopters?

I personally use RealFlight G4. It doesn't have any quadcopters but it does have helicopters. I think if one were to learn to fly helicopters, they could also fly quadcopters.

I like that RealFlight G4 allows me to use my regular remote with the simulator. I'd include being able to use your own remote an important feature in a simulator.

Anything else one should look for in a simulator?

I'm not personally looking for a simulator, I've been asked by several people for suggestions and I'd like to be better informed. I also think it would help those purchasing an ELEV-8 to know which simulator would help them learn to fly it.

Comments

• David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,514
    edited 2012-10-25 10:05
    As you pointed out to me in an email, RealFlight looks pretty nice and their expansion pack 8 seems to have a quadcopter model. Has anyone tried it?
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    edited 2012-10-25 13:35
    Duane Degn wrote: »
    I think if one were to learn to fly helicopters, they could also fly quadcopters.

I agree. I think using the 90 size helicopter is the best to learn on - unless a quad is available. If you can control it then you have learned what you need to.
  • Nick ErnstNick Ernst Posts: 138
    edited 2012-10-26 09:11
    Here we have Real Flight 6 with the Expansion Pack 8 add-on and it has a quad copter that is actually more sensitive than the ELEV-8, which makes it a really good learning platform. If you can fly the one in the simulator, you can fly ELEV-8 with minimal issues.
  • David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,514
    edited 2012-10-26 10:42
    Nick Ernst wrote: »
    Here we have Real Flight 6 with the Expansion Pack 8 add-on and it has a quad copter that is actually more sensitive than the ELEV-8, which makes it a really good learning platform. If you can fly the one in the simulator, you can fly ELEV-8 with minimal issues.
    Thanks! That's very good to know. I'll check into getting that simulator and expansion pack.
  • JasonDorieJasonDorie Posts: 1,930
    edited 2012-10-26 15:07
    I have RealFlight as well, and used it to learn to fly R/C helis. The 90 size helis provide the best overall feel. I found the quadcopter model provided in the expansion pack felt strange. It was overly sensitive and too "stiff" - not sure how else to describe it.
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2012-10-26 16:10
    As I've mentioned a couple of times on the forum, I think it's important to use a transmitter without a "clicking" throttle. It's too hard to adjust the throttle to a hover if your throttle stick clicks.

If you do have a clicking throttle stick (usually TXs intended for airplanes click), it's easy to remove the offending part by opening the transmitter case up. The modification is reversable (in at least the transmitters I've looked inside).
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    edited 2012-10-26 18:33
    The Futaba transmitters have a flat metal spring that presses against the joystick. That spring has a raised portion that engages teeth on the joystick in order to make the 'clicking'. Sometimes they come with a replacement spring that is smooth so that you can swap them. If not then you can remove the spring and flatten the raised part and reassemble. If you remove it entirely the joystick will feel too loose.

attachment.php?attachmentid=96537&d=1351301917
    701 x 534 - 90K
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2012-10-26 19:11
    W9GFO wrote: »
    If you remove it entirely the joystick will feel too loose.

You're right. It's been I while since I've looked inside a heli remote. The throttle will kind of flop around without something there.