Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Cheapest Possible Robot? — Parallax Forums

Cheapest Possible Robot?

prof_brainoprof_braino Posts: 4,313
edited 2012-10-31 11:02 in Robotics
What's the cheapest possible robot for somebody just getting started?

For example, there's a kid that might be interested, but the parents don't want to shell out $650 for a VEEX or a Mindstorms and have it just sit on a shelf after two days.

Please take a look and see it this looks like a possibility.

http://code.google.com/p/propforth/wiki/CheapestPossibleRobot

The idea is the "key components" are ordered directly from China. You supply your own favorite micro controller and software.

You can collect the remaining parts from around the house, or make them etc.

This would not be a fast or sexy robot, but it would be sufficient to test if an individual would enjoy the robotics activity or not. The cost is low enough that an entire classroom of kids could be equipped at $20 to $50 each, depending on choice of micro controller.

Thoughts?

Comments

• HumanoidoHumanoido Posts: 5,770
    edited 2012-08-12 23:23
    What's the cheapest possible robot for somebody just getting started? For example, there's a kid that might be interested, but the parents don't want to shell out $650 for a VEEX or a Mindstorms and have it just sit on a shelf after two days. Please take a look and see it this looks like a possibility. http://code.google.com/p/propforth/wiki/CheapestPossibleRobot The idea is the "key components" are ordered directly from China. You supply your own favorite micro controller and software. You can collect the remaining parts from around the house, or make them etc. This would not be a fast or sexy robot, but it would be sufficient to test if an individual would enjoy the robotics activity or not. The cost is low enough that an entire classroom of kids could be equipped at $20 to $50 each, depending on choice of micro controller. Thoughts?

With a cap of $20 to $50, it would be a DIY project. Purchase the microcontroller and a couple servos, and homebrew the rest. One could scavange a second hand remote controlled car for the wireless transmitter, receiver, motors, wheels, wire, battery holder, plastic parts, gears, and driver board. Look for used parts from radios, TVs, VCRs, and othe electronic devices, and collect an assortment of containers, tin cans, wire, etc. Of course for the classroom, bulk purchases of components could be a factor.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2012-08-13 00:14
    Great goal. From my experience, however, cheapest isn't usually the best, simplest, most relevant or fun for beginners. Experienced folks may enjoy the challenge of making lemonade from lemons, but from the classes I have taught, noobs need a simple, frustration-free experience or they lose interest quickly. A scratch-built robot using a Propeller and stepper motors would have been well beyond the grasp of my college juniors.
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2012-08-13 01:40
    I think if you want the cheapest robot, you have to set aside r/c servos and use geared hobby motors. Also, you might build your own Tilden H-bridges to power these 5 volt motors. Solarbotics takes this approach and has the parts.

That is what I am doing with 10 year Taiwanese student as he really isn't ready to study PWM and I personally believe that introducing him to specific component construction is an important first step. It is all too easy to hand a kid a black box toy and tell him he is really learning computers and electronics while big portions of the subject are ignored. Lego Mindstorms is a good example of WOW factor over and above any real learning experience.

The Japanese have a toy manufacturer that provide a 2 motor rear axle and other components to build a tiny robot from scratch. That is what we are using as a robot platform with the Parallax Homework board attached and translating IR remote control into directions. Soon we will add a Ping for object avoidance and whatever else comes to mind. But it is about the student asking for another feature rather than me telling him to stick to a lesson plan and that he must read and understand something to get to the next level.

It is important to not daunt the student and to empower exploration. But it is also important to avoid buying an expensive toy set that wows everyone for an hour and then wants you to buy more.

Just being cheap is rather absurd. Spend money with a purpose and don't make it the whole solution. Parallax with PBasic offers very good value in that context.
  • prof_brainoprof_braino Posts: 4,313
    edited 2012-08-13 06:01
    erco wrote: »
    Great goal. From my experience, however, cheapest isn't usually the best, simplest, most relevant or fun for beginners. Experienced folks may enjoy the challenge of making lemonade from lemons, but from the classes I have taught, noobs need a simple, frustration-free experience or they lose interest quickly. A scratch-built robot using a Propeller and stepper motors would have been well beyond the grasp of my college juniors.

Interesting you chose that example. I taught my daughter to make lemonade from scratch when she was four. We had people at the park BIDDING for the last couple glasses at her lemonade stand, it was so good. She had fun and now she believes she can do anything.

Like Humanoido sez, all the non-purchase parts can be scavenged. THAT has always been the fun part for me. And figuring out how to stick them back together. I think that is the "skill" needed to spark the interest.

And no, this will NOT be beyond college juniors, or even high school juniors. (We'll MAKE the project appropriate, by design). I already got a response from a grade school teacher, we might be able to test "how low can you go" at the middle school or grade school. Any kids above that level should be successful as well.

Any input on the "just buy it" price point? (From the link). At some price, you have to really think about it before you buy it. At another price, you just go ahead and buy it when it interested you. I think $20 for a bunch or parts, or $50 for an assembled unit or prearranged kit. What's your "just buy it" level?

-Edit- fixed humorous typo by request
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2012-08-13 09:35
    I haven't tried them, but Hobby King has servos for $5 each that are supposed to be easy to modify for CR. Add hobby plywood and bumper switches and you're almost ready to roll. Servos are much easier for novices to deal with than DC motors. Plus those cheap Tamiya gearboxes are high current low voltage and don't mesh well with most h-bridges.
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2012-08-13 09:57
    Not sure an equivalent VEX or Mindstorms set actually costs $650, but from my experience, the biggest turn-off to robotics is not cost but frustration. The problems with relying on cheap Chinese parts is that A) failure rate is pretty high, B) their design is sometimes just plain bad to begin with, and C) support has to come from the user-base, which can be thready unless a TON of effort is put into maintaining it. These import manufacturers are hard-pressed to provide even a PDF spec sheet.

The fastest way to lose a kid who's shown interest in robotics is to have him or her struggle to get the thing working.

I think you're better off raising the bar, and spec out the least expensive quality parts that have a decent support network outside your Google page. I've never been fond of stepper motor bots, but you can certainly get some higher class gearmotors with wheels, for about $15 a set. Unlike some of the similar motors I've gotten straight from China, where the gears were literally falling out when I received the package, these are pretty well constructed. Build the base out of foam board or wood or other inexpensive material. Add an MCU already on a board -- don't have them breadboard everything as they'll make mistakes and/or it will look too complicated.

A price of $50 is more reasonable for parts that are manufactured with a little more care, and supported beyond the eBay sale. That's still within most people's comfort zone. You'd be surprised how much the extra $30 or $40 or whatever will go to actually *keeping* someone interested in robotics.

-- Gordon
    edited 2012-08-13 10:24
    ... A price of $50 is more reasonable for parts that are manufactured with a little more care, and supported beyond the eBay sale. That's still within most people's comfort zone.

Good points, but the idea is the parts cost $20, so somebody can sell a kit that costs $50 and not loose their shirt.

Personally, I would prefer the brushless DC motors, 300 oz torque at 24 volts, that the guy showed me yesterday, but they cost $25 each FROM CHINA. That's already outside the "just buy it" zone that we are looking for, targeting "first time just checking it out" individuals. If a person is prepared to spend more than the total target cost on just one part, person probably beyond the "first time just checking it out" stage.

I'm not assuming this challenge is easy. Making it simple and cheap is the hardest part, that's why its cool.

Lets do the impossible, yet again! Give it a try, it won't hurt. The worst that could happen is we find some more cheap stuff for erco to buy. :)
  • DocThomasDocThomas Posts: 31
    edited 2012-08-13 11:16
    Look at some of the BEAM Bots. They can be built from a lot of scrap and the parts you have to buy are not to bad. They should give sombody a good idea wheather or not they would like robots.
  • spikedspiked Posts: 20
    edited 2012-08-13 11:27
    This is a crazy question, and you are going to get a lot of mixed, crazy responses.

Do you want to teach robotics, or soldering and electronics? There is a huge difference, but yet the two seemed to get intermixed constantly. Soldering and electronics may lead to robotics, but it doesn't start there. Wiring up a remote control receiver, an R/C stepper servo, and an H-Bridge is electronics. Determining how to navigate (navigate, not move) around an obstacle, or the IK of an arm is robotics.

For the younger crowd I suspect you did indeed mean electronics, and you can start with some of the suggested basic wiring projects. If you are trying to introduce younger children to robotics, the LEGO systems, at $250 is your best bet. Trying to introduce wiring a CPU at the same time as introducing basic electronics is not going inspire anyone, young or old.
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2012-08-13 15:35
    Well, we know it's possible to provide a complete or fairly complete robot for $50 retail. DAGU's Magician controller and base sell for about $45 for the two:

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10825
    http://www.robotshop.com/dagu-magician-dual-robot-controller-6.html

These are both fine, though I'm not a fan of the base because the motors they've been supplying don't have enough torque. There's no ultrasonic sensor on this, but it does have an accelerometer, plus it'll run both DC motors or servos. No Bluetooth, but as I detest Bluetooth that's not a showstopper for me!

So, yeah, it could be done, but I'd rather raise the bar, make the chassis more rugged (like the BOE-Bot), maybe switch to rechargeable LiPoly. I'm for anything that puts robots into more people's hands, but like I said, striving for the cheapest just invites junk, which in turn destroys the expectations for first-learners. If those $2.50 ultrasonic sensors turn out to be reliable, then I don't have an objection.

-- Gordon
    edited 2012-08-14 14:38
    DocThomas wrote: »
    Look at some of the BEAM Bots. They can be built from a lot of scrap and the parts you have to buy are not to bad. They should give sombody a good idea wheather or not they would like robots.

This BEAM stuff is GREAT! I have a LOT of reading to do!
    edited 2012-08-14 15:13
    spiked wrote: »
    This is a crazy question, and you are going to get a lot of mixed, crazy responses.

Crazy, Yes. Your assessment is accurate.
    Do you want to teach robotics, or soldering and electronics?

Yes. I'm shooting for the whole ball of wax. I didn't say it was going to be simple.
    For the younger crowd ... the LEGO systems, at $250 is your best bet.

Yes, this is conventional wisdom. It also has not gotten us very far. It only works on a very small percentage of potential engineers. The kids that like LEGO, they should use them, that is fine. I'm looking at the rest of the population the does NOT get inspired by Mindstorms. We had a team of 50 kids for first LEGO league. Only six kids did the bulk of the programming and building. The rest were just as enthusiastic, and did other stuff. So I want to find something for the other kids.

This DAGU stuff is pretty cool. It's in the right price range. Let's see. I think it lacks some kind of "kid level engineering" in some way....

I think I'm leaning toward the kids making more of the bot. Making a 3D printer from unfamiliar, seemingly random parts was the coolest thing I did last winter. True, I don't get out much, but that is the kind of experience I'm trying to capture for the kids. Just at a smaller scale, for a lower cost. They get to do some "kid level engineering" to select and assemble the parts. AND it still has to be easy enough so their parents can help when they get stuck. I think this experience, creating something and gaining understanding from the process, is what inspires; and not so much the LEGO-bot result. (Although clearly the LEGO method can delivery that same inspiration, to a certain set of individuals).

Just noodling here. What do you say?

Oh, yeah, the steppers have arrived. I now have all the parts on the list for the basic unit.
  • spikedspiked Posts: 20
    edited 2012-08-14 18:17
    The wiring stuff is cool, as are the several micro-processors, it's just a hard place to start trying to do both. The Maker printers are also way cool, and probably a bit further along on the 'assemble it yourself and have it work' factor. Is there an easy way to differentiate the software folks from the hardware folks? Beginning programming seemed much easier to me when you turned on the computer and got the basic prompt, but those days are gone. But I still think (as a software guy) that 'robots' is not just mechanical/electrical engineering. Actually I think it should be more software engineering, and learning to program should be the emphasis in robotics, not building them. Some day soon, if we are lucky, parts will be off the shelf (similar to LEGO). We obviously still need people to design and build the off the shelf parts, but I hope the emphasis (as far as robotics go) changes to what to do with them once they are available.
    Perhaps your approach could be a combination of pre-built ready to program units, and ready to assemble units, and let the 'students' decide where they wish to explore, with both tracks available as a sequential pair. I can see something like this feeding itself; build it first, then come back to program, or just start programming one already built. It would divide up having to (try to) teach it all at once.
    edited 2012-08-15 09:37
    spiked wrote: »
    The wiring stuff is cool, as are the several micro-processors, it's just a hard place to start trying to do both. The Maker printers are also way cool, and probably a bit further along on the 'assemble it yourself and have it work' factor. Is there an easy way to differentiate the software folks from the hardware folks? Beginning programming seemed much easier to me when you turned on the computer and got the basic prompt, but those days are gone. But I still think (as a software guy) that 'robots' is not just mechanical/electrical engineering. Actually I think it should be more software engineering, and learning to program should be the emphasis in robotics, not building them. Some day soon, if we are lucky, parts will be off the shelf (similar to LEGO). We obviously still need people to design and build the off the shelf parts, but I hope the emphasis (as far as robotics go) changes to what to do with them once they are available.
    Perhaps your approach could be a combination of pre-built ready to program units, and ready to assemble units, and let the 'students' decide where they wish to explore, with both tracks available as a sequential pair. I can see something like this feeding itself; build it first, then come back to program, or just start programming one already built. It would divide up having to (try to) teach it all at once.

I don't think its valid to separate hardware and software at the beginner level. While professionals specialize, they are usually part of larger effort which covers the other specializations. From the beginner's stand point, its just "the stuff" and they can't play with one without the other. Must have both, just a simple, manageable set, is my hypothesis.

The reason I'm using propforth is precisely because "you just turn it on and get the prompt".

As a software guy, I think I've exhausted many of my options with getting kids to "use software". The BEAM bots linked previously re-inforce the "biomimicry" idea, the form must follow function, and the function should be built in to the hardware design. So now my base assumption is, "any software is probably too much". They being said, I'm still going to have software, as I always enjoy too much (in moderation, of course :) )

Yes I agree, some way to get building blocks of functionality that are fun and interesting is the key. Balancing how much software, how much hardware, how its put together, how big are the "learning chunks", this is where art enters the decision process.

This is getting interesting.
  • rjo__rjo__ Posts: 2,114
    edited 2012-08-15 21:34
    Love the concept...Let's keep the limit at $20 + microcontroller. Is this going to be mobile or fixed? If mobile, you need to standardize the wheels and chassis. I have been collecting jar caps forever... to be used as wheels for my cheapbot. Everybody does it. But which ones to use?
    We need standards here!!! Someone is going to recommend an altoids tin for the chassis. I have altoids tins... but in no way are they acceptable. All my wheels are too big.
    Those cheap steppers manage right around 25RPMs...at 12V. So, peeps are going to need big (Skippy Giant Sized) wheels.
    If fixed... what is the function or what is the parts list?
    Either way... you need to run a contest. Winner gets a free Forth compiler?

Rich:)
    edited 2012-08-15 22:35
    rjo__ wrote: »
    Love the concept...Let's keep the limit at $20 + microcontroller. Is this going to be mobile or fixed? If mobile, you need to standardize the wheels and chassis. I have been collecting jar caps forever... to be used as wheels for my cheapbot. Everybody does it. But which ones to use?
    We need standards here!!! Someone is going to recommend an altoids tin for the chassis. I have altoids tins... but in no way are they acceptable. All my wheels are too big.
    Those cheap steppers manage right around 25RPMs...at 12V. So, peeps are going to need big (Skippy Giant Sized) wheels.
    If fixed... what is the function or what is the parts list?
    Either way... you need to run a contest. Winner gets a free Forth compiler?

Rich:)

Mobile, with many sensor options. (hopefully)

Not standardize, PARAMETRIZE! Ideally, one can use any size peanut butter jar etc lids, and the software will compensate at boot time.

Contest prize is Your Name for the baseline for the design used in the SWARM bot project at the local middle school if we get so far :)
    Goal is to have an entire class build bots, and have them swarm!

And a free forth compiler! Good idea!

We're thinking slow for the first attempt, 5 volts. Indoors only. Bigger motors later!
  • rjo__rjo__ Posts: 2,114
    edited 2012-08-16 16:08
    A man with a plan... got to love it...and live it.

5 volts it is. Slow we can do:)

Next we need dates... no not that kind... not that kind either...
    ...a target date
    edited 2012-08-16 21:22
    rjo__ wrote: »
    ...a target date

A guy from a local school wants to outfit an entire class this fall. I told him it might not be ready until January, but he could be the bleeding edge experiment. He wants something like a full demo by end of August. I don't even have the wheels on the motors yet!

I said sure, I'll give it a try.

Better contact erco about techniques for peanut butter jar lids and ply wood....
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2012-08-16 23:54
    Servo horns work good for PB lids and CR servos....haven't looked at mounting wheels on my China stepper motors....yet.
  • TtailspinTtailspin Posts: 1,326
    edited 2012-08-17 07:12
    Servo horns work good for PB lids and CR servos....
    +1
    Wheel Mount.jpg

-Tommy
    800 x 548 - 368K
    edited 2012-08-17 07:45
    I like the Velcro chassis!

How to get the jar lids centered? I saw something clever on this before, please refresh my memory?
  • TtailspinTtailspin Posts: 1,326
    edited 2012-08-17 08:54
    Center Finder...:thumb::thumb:

Or you can measure the distance from the horn points to edge of wheel...

-Tommy
    edited 2012-08-17 08:56
    The PB jar lid I happen to have on my desk interestingly enough has an injection mark dead center on the top (it's a small dimple). Talk to your purchasing agent to check for this feature when procuring future PB Jars.

There are tools to find the center of cylinders (see Tommy's center finder, above). Basically a 90 degree angle of some sort with a straight edge coming out at a 45 degree angle. You place the cylinder in the 90 part and scribe a line along the straight edge - do this a few times and where the lines intersect is the circle.

It seems like there is a geometric construction technique where you scribe arcs through the circle and where they intersect is the center....or something like that. Geometry class was a long time ago and there was a cute redhead that sat in front of me.......
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2012-08-17 09:03
    PJ's the king of PBJ lids. Recall his Cypherbot... but the pics are gone now.

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?131098-Cypherbot&highlight=cypherbot
  • DamoDamo Posts: 16
    edited 2012-08-18 13:15
    LMR (lets make robots) have a start-here robot to get newbies started, I cant imagine the parts would be more thatn 20-30 bucks. And they walk you throught the whole assembly and programming process. Google the site if your not familiar. And check out my robot. mr-get-a-beer, it uses the propeller of course. long live the prop !!
  • GeorgeCollinsGeorgeCollins Posts: 132
    edited 2012-08-19 12:28
    I tired to see how inexpensively I could make a walking robot. Around a $100 bucks:

http://www.backyardrobots.com/osq/osq.shtml
    http://youtu.be/gAr3EOZMq6Y

The design is open source.

I got it to be pretty cheap, but then I think to use the robot much you would start to want to replace the cheaper components with more expensive ones. For example, it's cheaper to use 4 AA batteries then a LiPO or LiFE battery, but if you use the robot much you will spend more on disposable batteries then a rechargeable one. A parallax servo controller is almost the cheapest and simplest way to drive eight servos, but it really isn't very good for wiring in sensors. So you would probably want to replace that with a more expensive micro controller card. As you start to do more with the robot you start to wish you put more in the components.

The cheapest way to make a robot is to hack a toy. The old WowWee robots were designed to be hack-able and you can find old ones on EBay. The problem with a lot of suggestions about how to make a really cheap robot is that they tend to work well if you know a good deal about electronics and programming. If that is the case, almost by definition your time is valuable. And if you are going to build and program a robot you will sink a lot of time into it.
    edited 2012-08-20 05:53
    Very cool! How long does that run on a set of disposable batteries?
    edited 2012-08-20 06:16
    Very cool budget Quad. You feel sorry for the little, almost. Want to help him along!
  • GeorgeCollinsGeorgeCollins Posts: 132
    edited 2012-08-20 15:59
    It's hard to generalize how long the quad will run on batteries because different batteries last different amounts of time. With generic batteries and a ping sensor, it might start to brown out in as little as 30 minutes of continuous walking. The batteries are still usable for other applications, but you have brown outs in the robot. Better quality batteries will make it last longer, and Lithium AA would rise that by a lot, probably up to more then an hour. I use a LiFE battery that cost like $35, making it the most expensive component. But if you run the robot for a long enough time it's actually cheaper to have an expensive battery.

The OSQ is actually sturdy enough to run for an hour. I have made other walking robots kits and while many of them are excellent most of them can not go that long without a screw coming out or a servo failing. It's really small and light and has the bare minimum of parts. Scurrier, the larger hexapod I entered in the Robogames walking contest is also pretty sturdy, but I had to add reinforcement to make it more reliable. I think with its new shoulders it is dependable but I need to run it more on tests like walking through parks or around the block. The CAD files for that robot are also open and available to download on my site if anyone is curious.
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2012-10-31 05:57
    prof_braino, I was looking at your Little Robot page on Google and noticed that you a using the bluetooth transceiver with PropForth. I'm curious did you find the correct AT command to reset the baud rate to be compatible with PropForth on pins 30 and 31? If so it might be worth adding it to that page.