Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
2012 Halloween Project - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

2012 Halloween Project

2»

Comments

• RagtopRagtop Posts: 406
    edited 2012-09-18 13:07
    Working on pin-out of the slave propeller chip. The main chip will listen for remote nordic commands, get the laser tripwire
    input, play the wav files, control which speakers play the sounds, and communicate with the slave propeller that
    does everything else.

I was a little worried pin wise, but looks like I may have a few extra.

halloween pinouts slave.jpg
    663 x 605 - 188K
    edited 2012-09-19 07:27
    Head banger gets a head

headbanger.jpg
    386 x 689 - 203K
  • RS_JimRS_Jim Posts: 1,762
    edited 2012-09-20 08:15
    Ragtop,
    A 60 Hz hum comming from your ac powered amplifier is often a sign of a "ground loop". It happens a lot on unbalanced audio circuits. The easiest solution is a groundloop isolator from Radio Shack. These will isolate the grounds from your source and stereo so that the 60Hz hum will not appear in the audio output. There are other ways to fix the problem, but they can require lots of time to isolate the source. The ususal cause is long extension cords with different devices on different cords. I have measured as much as 60 volts between grounds on audio devices. (can mysteriously smoke Prop chips as well!)
    Jim
    edited 2012-09-20 18:37
    Thank you. That sounds like it would be worth the shot.
    edited 2012-09-26 14:32
    Created a new rig for the head banger prop because the
    head's weight made it too hard for the motor to pull it
    back up with the pivot point down at the base. So I moved
    the pivot point higher and counter balanced the rig with a
    spring that helps pull the head back up.

edited 2012-09-30 06:32
    Did you get hum resolved?
    Jim
    edited 2012-09-30 16:48
    I haven't got to Radio Shack yet to see if they have one in stock. From the comments not all stores carry the ground loop isolator. I got
    to get on that because I might have to order it. Tick tock. Tick tock.
    edited 2012-10-03 16:27
    Sku 270-054 for ground loop isolator. If not in stock at local store have them order direct to you, no shipping charge.
    Jim
    edited 2012-10-10 14:47
    It is not all electronics and motors.

[video=youtube_share;GgnCN24sCuY]
    edited 2012-10-11 17:34
    Another Halloween prop. I had to cut two of the six I had planned on with time running out. Hood guy (zombie torso) was so close but I couldn't get
    the motor/angle/rig/weight worked out right to make it reliable. Microwave spider was going to be another cool one, but the motor was not up
    to the task. This attacking spider prop makes use of the other props anyway and it moves really fast.

[video=youtube_share;Rp1LRhT9O8o]
    edited 2012-10-13 16:50
    Something you don't see everyday. Death Carriage by the Wayne's World Crew. He has a skeleton horse that "pulls"
    it but it must of been on break.

[video=youtube_share;bgpl2cYhecM]
    edited 2012-10-15 14:38
    A walk-through of the Junk Yard. I greatly underestimated the amount of
    wire I would need so everything got moved closer to the control box.

[video=youtube_share;Goj9cPE2AoY]
    edited 2012-10-16 15:35
    Tick tock. I starting to feel the time tick away.

[video=youtube_share;TJyI0ibjFZs]
    edited 2012-10-21 05:20
    Not a great first weekend. For some reason, the wall warts just keep burning out. They move
    the drill motors a couple of times then stop passing electricity. Wasn't having the problem at home
    but can't imagine running off generators would burn them out. Doggie was the only one I could
    get moving using a car battery charger for power.

[video=youtube_share;3R1sU3QWw4o]

This is doggie's view. He is to the left of the camera. Spider had to be hand operated.
    edited 2012-10-21 17:19
    A collage of the best jumps.
    [video=youtube_share;cGcxaLfgadU]
    edited 2012-10-27 09:23
    Messed up this video by putting camera and light too far away, but still can see head banger
    in action.

[video=youtube_share;x_Z2897nmQQ]
    edited 2012-10-28 06:37
    Pole Cat finally made the line-up. He is still going too fast, but I don't know how to govern him
    down. After massive fail on the wall warts I spent months looking all over town for, I went to
    using a car battery charger for power and boy does it deliver power.

Still having a hard time getting the camera and lights worked out to get Head Banger footage.
    edited 2012-11-05 06:48
    This is my overall post summary of Killian's Junk yard with my idea for next year.

I am going to do one more video for this thread discussing the electronic failures
    and discoveries that I hope will help next year.
  • GeeksGoneBadGeeksGoneBad Posts: 100
    edited 2012-11-05 07:30
    Just watched all the videos (catching up) even with the issues it looks like you had a great haunted junkyard!

Took me months to get my one little prop working - I can only imagine how tough to get several and all the decorations and everything! Great job!

Jamie
    edited 2012-11-06 11:15
    I am thinking of adding some of your monster boxes in next year as live trap boxes around Killian's porch. I want
    to add some system independent props next year with their own motion sensors. If they make their own noises
    without need of wav players or speaker systems, even better.
  • GeeksGoneBadGeeksGoneBad Posts: 100
    edited 2012-11-06 11:20
    Yeah you couldn't even hear my MP3 player over the slamming of the lid (which I will fix next year) so if you just wanted the lid slamming noise then all you'd need would be the motor, cam, cam follower - it was pretty loud and scared every visitor :) success! hehe