Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Encoder questions for electric wheel chair motors - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Encoder questions for electric wheel chair motors

2»

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2012-06-01 09:24
    For that price, 128 PPR is very good. Enough resolution to be useful for wheel encoders, but probably not a robot arm joint. You bought yours from that Ebay seller you referenced?
  • RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2012-06-01 10:22
    I've bought them from a couple of different sellers (some new and some used) and think that one set came from these folks. I'd have to go back through my e-mails to check. As I recall one of the surplus sets were 100 PPR. On thing that I like about these is that they are enclosed units and have ball bearings on each end to support. They should last for quite a while. Having enclosed encoders was important for one of the robot bases I am working since these are mounting underneath and I was concerned about having open encoders that may pickup dust/dirt which could prevent them from working well.

Robert
    edited 2012-06-01 12:06
    Looks like they're discontinued and 128 is the maximum PPR, FYI:

http://www.electro-nc.com/products/encoders.shtml
    http://www.electro-nc.com/products/900index.shtml
    edited 2012-06-01 13:42
    FYI, here's the reply from that Ebay seller:

Hi-- Yes they are new, but I don't know how may Pulses per Revolution they are, I am just a reseller--thanks--Jack

- brockertjack
  • xanaduxanadu Posts: 3,347
    edited 2012-06-01 16:27
    Sometimes at that price I like to find out the hard way. Even if I didn't use them for my large robot, I just saw some digital servos that extend their shaft out the opposite side, and these could easily attach. Makes me wonder why all servos don't have opposing output shafts. Save that for another thread lol.

Thanks!

FYI I have my PVC, black dye, photo-sensors, and a sun burn so bad I cannot go outside, which means I'll be getting something done real soon on this.