Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Minmal PCB carrier for BS2 — Parallax Forums

Minmal PCB carrier for BS2

BritannicusBritannicus Posts: 98
edited 2012-05-15 13:30 in BASIC Stamp
Hi All,

I'm looking to do a rather compact piece of work with my trusty BS 2 stamp - working this into controlling a hexapod.

Initially I have the parallax servo driver but it leaves a very little space for the BS2 - To date I've always used my BOE, but I'm after a very minimal implementation.

I'm looking for a schematic, or better still a PCB template that I can etch my own board.

- I'd like to be able to programme the Stamp in situ,
- I need to have all 16 pins available as pin outs but not necessarily anything more than a pin I can connect to later

my plan is to mount my BS 2 esentially on a small PCB with 24 Pins - I could then manufacture a programming socket to Sout, Sin ATN and VSS connection just to plug onto pins 1 to 4 for programming purposes. Pin 4 would also connect to earth of my on board battery.

Then

To Vin : I'd connect a clean 6V - I have 9V on board so would use a voltage regulator - is that the correct voltage ?

To Vss I'd conntect to the onboard earth,
to Res - connect to earth via a contact switch
to Vdd - connect to earth via 1000 uF capacitor

(not even sure if I need these last 3 )

This would seem to replicate all I need from my BOE to drive my servo controller and a few other bits I'm planning on by connecting to the pins.

Frankly I'm a bit scared to experiment here 'cos I don' twant to fry my stamps !

Have I got the right idea here ??? - as always I could really do with a helping hand.

Comments

• PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2012-05-14 11:38
    It doesn't take much, to programme in place.
    V_in supply as required, lead out the I/O to a header or what have you.

expl.JPG
    517 x 249 - 17K
  • WBA ConsultingWBA Consulting Posts: 2,934
    edited 2012-05-14 15:05
    The BS2 module has features to make it stand on its own very well with little support circuitry. I recently did a thorough review of every BS2 based board I could find for an ongoing project, so I would recommend modeling one of these in the size you need:

Basic Stamp Carrier Board
    Basic Stamp Super Carrier Board
  • BritannicusBritannicus Posts: 98
    edited 2012-05-15 05:03
    Hi Gents - I've been looking at the BS2 carrier board, to see if I can model something smaller

Looking at PJ's diagram - are the capacitors 0.1uF ?? - just can't quite make out your notation.

The carrier seems to take raw 9 V direct from the battery - my BOE uses a voltage regulator - I'm assuming this is OK if I hook my stamp up to 9V direct ? - is there a max current it will take - my 9V on board supply is a bit more than a standard 9V box battery.

I'm figuring to build the smallest board I can - and then use the pins 1,2,3 for parallel communicationwith the associated capacitors connected to my plug rather than to the board - seem OK ??
    edited 2012-05-15 06:00
    Looking at PJ's diagram - are the capacitors 0.1uF ?? - just can't quite make out your notation.

Yes.
    Ray Marston, an Englander, has promulgated that format of not using decimals/periods/full-stops. He figured the dots would go missing through copiers, JPGs of JPGs, and so on. So, 0.1uF is expressed as 0u1; 1.5kΩ as 1K5; 3.3V as 3V3. The letters/symbols hold out better than little dots do.
    I'm figuring to build the smallest board I can - and then use the pins 1,2,3 for parallel communicationwith the associated capacitors connected to my plug rather than to the board - seem OK ??
    As long as that all makes the same electrical contact it's a go.
  • WBA ConsultingWBA Consulting Posts: 2,934
    edited 2012-05-15 09:55
    .....The carrier seems to take raw 9 V direct from the battery - my BOE uses a voltage regulator - I'm assuming this is OK if I hook my stamp up to 9V direct ? - is there a max current it will take - my 9V on board supply is a bit more than a standard 9V box battery......

The product page for the BASIC Stamp 2 has the input voltage listed for the Vin pin and the Vdd pin depending on which you use to feed power to the stamp. You can feed the stamp up to 15 volts on the Vin pin. Keep in mind that the more current you pull from the IO pins, the more work the BS2's regulator will have in dropping the input voltage.

Power Requirements: 5.5 to 15 VDC (Vin), or 5 VDC (Vdd)
  • RDL2004RDL2004 Posts: 2,554
    edited 2012-05-15 11:26
    Just curious, is that lack of decimal point notation actually being generally used for capacitance? I thought that nano-Farads were the new thing. No more 0.1 uF or 0.01 uF, instead use 100 nF and 10 nF, and below 1 nF switch to pF (puffs...).
    edited 2012-05-15 11:44
    RDL2004 wrote: »
    Just curious, is that lack of decimal point notation actually being generally used for capacitance? I thought that nano-Farads were the new thing. No more 0.1 uF or 0.01 uF, instead use 100 nF and 10 nF, and below 1 nF switch to pF (puffs...).
    Marston was pretty big at Nuts & Volts, but I haven't seen an issue in years, he used it in all his articles there.
    I don't know why values weren't expressed as nF, "the new thing", but I'm not going to start.
    Picofarad used to be expressed as uuF, micro-micro farad, till somewhat recently.
  • RDL2004RDL2004 Posts: 2,554
    edited 2012-05-15 13:30
    I recall a very good series of articles Ray Marston wrote some years back in Nuts & Volts which covered TTL and CMOS logic chips. I may have to dig those out and read them again. I've been working on a non-microcontroller digital clock project lately and it's been giving me headaches.