Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Hoverfly OPEN controller status? for ELEV-8 platform — Parallax Forums

Hoverfly OPEN controller status? for ELEV-8 platform

StempileStempile Posts: 82
edited 2013-11-15 12:50 in Robotics
Not in a hurry, still building the ELEV-8 stock, just thinking down the road a bit... (excited about the possibilities). I just picked up an ELEV-8 at the West Expo 2012 and reading through chunks of the 54 page Ken Gracy build log, there is a TON of content.

In post #145 Ken mentions the HooverFly Open board targeted at the robot platform aspect. What is the status of that - Still in the works? If so when will it be available for conversion from the HoverFly Sport?

If this was covered in an existing forum post, I am bad at searching... Thanks.

ms

Comments

• W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    edited 2012-04-16 23:50
    The ELEV-8 kit that I won at the Expo came with the HoverFLy Open board. However, I can find no documentation for it on the HoverFly website.
  • Brian CarpenterBrian Carpenter Posts: 728
    edited 2012-04-17 07:03
    Nick has the documentation. I will ask him to post it here
  • Cats92Cats92 Posts: 149
    edited 2012-04-17 13:32
    Great !

There are Hovefly Open Boards and the documentation is comming.

When and where this board will become available ? (nothing on Hovefly Web Site)

Hope it will stimulate new developements.

Jean Paul
  • icosmos72icosmos72 Posts: 5
    edited 2012-05-24 19:29
    Hi all ---

Any updates on the upcoming documentation? My apologies if I missed it somewhere.

--Scott
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2012-05-24 20:00
    Stempile wrote: »
    Not in a hurry, still building the ELEV-8 stock, just thinking down the road a bit... (excited about the possibilities). I just picked up an ELEV-8 at the West Expo 2012 and reading through chunks of the 54 page Ken Gracy build log, there is a TON of content.

In post #145 Ken mentions the HooverFly Open board targeted at the robot platform aspect. What is the status of that - Still in the works? If so when will it be available for conversion from the HoverFly Sport?

If this was covered in an existing forum post, I am bad at searching... Thanks.

ms

Hey Stempile! Northern Cali, eh? That means you've been to our technology compound, err, I mean office. I don't recognize you but I'm happy to introduce myself and welcome you back to Parallax anytime for a visit if we haven't already met.

I was caught in an e-mail exchange the other day between Kevin/Nick and a customer who requested the Open schematic and noticed that we had one, so I'll draw their attention to this thread so they reply with the status. Those two guys manage the product and Nick is leading the effort, so I'll contact them now and you can expect their reply in the morning.

We shouldn't make you search for information and I'll be sure to see that we get it posted on the web page.

Thanks for your patience in the meantime.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax Inc.
  • Kevin CookKevin Cook Posts: 159
    edited 2012-05-24 20:47
    More descript Open board documentation is forthcoming. I posted the schematic for the board on ELEV-8's product page, under "downloads and resources".

The ESC's and the receiver connect just like the Sport board. You can use the Sport board document as a temporary guide, until we have Open's document completed.

Note: The firmware is per-loaded on the Open board and HoveryFly only provides one type of configuration (available from HoverFly Client). So, there is no need to install anything before your first flight.
  • Nick ErnstNick Ernst Posts: 138
    edited 2012-05-25 09:10
    Brian,
    I must not have seen your message, but I have attached the Open Board's Manual.
  • ratronicratronic Posts: 1,451
    edited 2012-05-26 08:42
    Looking at that schematic it's wired up differently for the receiver and esc's even the gyro than the Hoverfly sport.

Edit: well maybe not the ESC's but there will need to be a few changes to Jason's program to get this to work.
  • RambomanRamboman Posts: 101
    edited 2012-07-18 21:31
    I understand from the schematic that P17..P25 are available for extensions...
  • JasonDorieJasonDorie Posts: 1,930
    edited 2012-07-25 13:02
    I have updated my code for the Open platform and I'm assembling a new frame with the Open board mounted so I can test it.
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2013-11-01 16:17
    Is there any code for the hoverfly open?
    edited 2013-11-03 23:09
    I have code for the Open, but it might take me a couple days to post it. NBA 2K14 has been kind of all-consuming until recently.
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2013-11-04 15:39
    JasonDorie wrote: »
    I have code for the Open, but it might take me a couple days to post it. NBA 2K14 has been kind of all-consuming until recently.

No rush for me. I still don't have one to play around with, just looking.
    edited 2013-11-04 18:36
    It's functionally identical to the code I posted for the regular Elev-8 or my own QuadX flight board. The only real differences are pin numbers and whatever glue was necessary to change them.
  • hoverbenhoverben Posts: 1
    edited 2013-11-07 09:31
    Ready-made HoverflyOPEN firmware is available through our Firmware Update Client. It's not that easy to find if you don't know what you're looking for, so here's how to get it:

1. Go to this page: http://www.hoverflytech.com/Software_Updates.html

2. Download and install the Hoverfly Firmware Update Client.

3. Run the Client, following the on-screen instructions.

4. When you come to the "Select Board" tab, choose "HoverflyOPEN."

5. On the "Select Mode" tab, choose the flight mode that matches your build. (For the basic ELEV-8, this will be + or X depending on how you orient the board.)

6. On the "Flash Firmware" tab, choose "2.0." then click "Flash Firmware." You will receive a message reading "Flashing Complete!" when the process is finished.

If you are using this firmware, it is also possible to calibrate the on-board gyros for better performance. To do this, you will need a low-heat source (such as hair dryer or heat gun with a low setting) and the Hoverfly Setup Client.

1. From the link above, download and install "Hoverfly Setup Client (older) (for HoverflySPORT and older HoverflyPRO)." (If you have the current version of the Hoverfly Setup Client installed, you must un-install it prior to installation of the older version.)

2. Open the Client and go to the "Calibration" tab."

3. Under "Temperature Calibration," click "Start." The Client will automatically attempt to connect to your board.

4. Once the Client is connected, apply a low amount of heat. The status bar will slowly begin to fill with green. (Note: the board must remain completely still during this step. Any movement on the part of the board will result in an inaccurate calibration.)

5. Once the status bar is completely filled, a pop-up box will inform you that the calibration is complete.

You do not need to complete accelerometer or compass calibrations, as the HoverflyOPEN does not include these components.
    edited 2013-11-07 11:38
    Hi Ben. SLRM said "code", which I took to be implying source. Where would we find that?
  • trangertranger Posts: 179
    edited 2013-11-07 18:30
    Can't get the temperature calibration to work.
    Flash-2_0.png
    FailedCalibration.jpg
    750 x 804 - 65K
    1024 x 526 - 73K
    edited 2013-11-14 13:47
    SLRM - I completely spaced for some reason - I have already posted code for the Hoverfly Open board - it's here:

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php/148190-QuadX-source-code-for-Hoverfly-Open-Elev-8
    edited 2013-11-14 14:16
    @Jason How does the quad behave differently when using your software versus the Hoverfly firmware? Right now the biggest software problem is my flying skills. :-) I do notice a bit of instability on a straight descent, so far it hasn't caused any real problems though. Also, on occasion I would notice some twitchiness during hover. However, I had an ESC go bad and was thinking it may have been "on it's way out" and causing that issue.

Thanks...
    edited 2013-11-15 11:22
    They're quite similar. The settings were as close as I could get them. Instability on descent is a common problem - You're coming down through turbulence being created by your own props, so descending slower, or at an angle (like a falling leaf) can help. Twitch during hover shouldn't be an issue as long as your quad is relatively free of vibration. The QuadX code is what I'm flying in the videos on my YouTube channel - those should give you a good idea of the stability.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLE3BB2A968B3863A1
    edited 2013-11-15 12:50
    Yeah, I remember seeing that clip before. Very impressive. I like the little push during hover. At this point I'm not that skilled at the controls.

I hadn't really thought about descending thru the prop wash, makes a lot of sense though. To get around it, I've done exactly what you describe - coming at an angle.

I'll probably stick with the Hoverfly firmware a little longer and continue to work on my flying skills. I am a little disappointed that I can't get the gyro calibration routine to work though.

-Russ