Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
glue and printer heads for a 3D printer any ideals? - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

glue and printer heads for a 3D printer any ideals?

2»

Comments

• mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2012-05-09 10:46
    The scary part is that when you run Phil's sentence through the Yoda Speak translator, it changes nothing:

"Let whomever be without grammar flaws cast the first correction. Yes, hmmm."

Master of the Force, master of electronics, Dagobah, Pacific Northwest..........just sayin' ;)
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2012-05-09 12:12
    should be in the subjunctive voice

Except subjunctive is a mood, not a voice. Just sayin'!

Not commenting on the conversion to whomever (where no variation sounds right), when in doubt, substitute "let" for "allow." The phrase "Allow he..." is obviously wrong.

-- Gordon
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2012-05-09 12:23
    Except subjunctive is a mood, not a voice.
    Ah, right you be! :)

Truth be known, I'm not even sure the accusative pronoun is right, since the object of the verb "let" is really the entire phrase, "who(m)ever be without grammar flaws. " So maybe recognizing that the pronoun is the subject of the verb "be" is more nearly correct. (What a can of worms! Now where'd I bury my Strunk and White when I need it?)

-Phil
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2012-05-09 14:08
    Worse is that the original Bible quote most people paraphrase is not truly subjunctive in nature, despite its use of "let." Apart from being archaic, it's really indicative, stating a command or an observable fact. So from the start it's an awkward construction, at least for modern day.

-- Gordon
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2012-05-10 04:22
    @Phil and @Gordon
    Gawk! I suppose grammatically and politically you are correct, but socially one does not offer such details if one understands the message.

Chinese language has a huge amount of homophones, so there are actually different grammars for the colloquial language and the formal written language. With speech and dialogue, context is always offering additional clues. And, I suspect that you will find nobody really talks in formal grammar in English unless they are hated and distrusted by all.

The key word is 'refractory' as in refractory clay. These products are provided for kilns and smelting furnaces.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2012-05-10 09:18
    I suspect that you will find nobody really talks in formal grammar in English unless they are hated and distrusted by all.
    So are you saying, then, that "nucular" will win more votes in the long run than "nuclear" just because it's wrong? :)

Seriously, I think this may be a particularly American malady, closely aligned with a strong anti-intellectual streak that runs through our society. In man-on-the-street news interviews one sees on TV being conducted in Britain, you hardly ever hear the butchery of our mother tongue that it's subjected to here under the same circumstances. I may be old-school, but I think it's important to take pride how one expresses himself and to make an effort, at least, to do it with proper grammar.

But we've very seriously hijacked this thread and ought to let the OP have it back.

-Phil
  • codevipercodeviper Posts: 208
    edited 2012-05-10 23:59
    um thanks for saying lets return this to the OP, but I have had the best answers to my question.
    really I don't care about being corrected, its only when I say in a simple way what I need to say and it becomes completely about language semantics grammar or word choice that I get agitated.
    :lol: no one noticed Epoky instead of epoxy.
    yeah but I was almost 95% certain that some of the people focusing on the wording or grammar knew what I meant.
    I don't want to get preachy, but try to remember you would never want anyone to expect you to explain all of your history and issues before they help you.
    just a simple truth.
    I am glad I didn't see the attitude I see in other forums, in some forums they say whatever mean or cruel thing they want then hide behind freedom of speech.
    I mean its fine to say you dont like something, but its written into freedom of speech laws that ther is a difference between FOS and harrassment.
    All in all (a local colloquial phrase) this forum is pretty good and lacks some of the worse fallacies I have seen in other forums,
    For example, I was in a place discussing DC comics and someone said an insulting thing that referenced the bus that mentally delayed students ride to school in as an insult to anyone who likes DC comics. I said I am fine if you dont like DC comics, but don't insult DC fans in such a way to use people with disabilities as the insult via comparison.
    the other user defended their choice
    I requested they stop posting things like that then they said "this is America freedoms of speech if you don't like it get out!"
    and pursued me after that constantly posting things about me calling me all sorts of things.
    there are forums with problems way worse then grammar, but when some one comes in doing their best maybe sit back and chose if you want to help or not and leave it at that.
    make fun comments great, say your ideas in the ideal way you see fit wonderful(see I can use idea ideas and ideal) point out alternatives.
    until you get to know someone its never a great idea to judge why they might not be typing in exactly correct English.
    oops did I get preachy?
    I wont lie, it does feel a little uncomfortable to be minding my "P's and Q's"(again another local term)
    but I want to get better at using the prop and it isn't like in the old days of CompuServe BBS and the 1440 baud modem on my old Apple.
    If I need to be perfect so my questions are paid attention to and not my grammar and punctuation and its for something important to me I guess I can do it just for the posts.
    hope no one takes this post the wrong way.
    thanks though.
  • GadgetmanGadgetman Posts: 2,436
    edited 2012-05-11 00:21
    That wasn't 'Freedom of speech', it was harassment.

It stops being 'Freedom of Speech' as soon as it's not true, or if it's used as defamatory, or even if it's irrelevant to the discussion going on.
    (It's not illegal to call an African-american for 'black', but it's not 'Politically Correct' and can in some situations be considered defamatory.)

As for the epoky / epoxy, well... everyone makes typos now and then. ;-)
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2012-05-11 01:35
    Wow, these arguments about 'epoxy' and 'nuclear' are a bit odd. After all, in written text, you are exploiting spelling errors and claiming they are grammatical errors. On the other hand, if you want to argue about phonology, there are vast variations in what people use.

Nothing wrong in taking pride in how one speaks, but at some point it does become a class distinction and the British 'mother tongue' is a rather ethnocentric view of British superiority. Nonetheless, I do bemoan the American 'anti-intellectual' slant that won't read even Romeo and Juliet as it is too highbrow or prefers to seek out mentors that are totally biased in their world view. Talking trash for the sake of seeing how much pain others can tolerate is NOT acceptable. Parallax Forums tend to be hospitable, unless you want to impose severely biased personal preference about Arduinos, PICs, and other platforms or if you wish to demand that we do all the engineering so you can get a Masters degree without any knowledge of what you are doing.

English is some form or another is claimed to be used by about 1 billion or more of the planet's population. It can and could be a tool for greater harmony in the world if one accepts/were to accept that communication takes effort by all that participate. English Grammar historically evolved from Latin grammar due to Latin being the standard written language of universities in the Middle Ages. And yet, English is really a very young language and rather a mixed mutt of heritages. Claims about American English are really observations about the American 'cultural melting pot' and I have yet to see any culture that benefits greatly from being 'melted'. American English, standardized spelling, and standardized grammar are all rather recent development in the long history of languages. Printing and publication once imposed standards, but the Internet now seems to impose an opposing diversity (even my spelling checker divides English between that of the U.K and the USA.)

The fundamental realities are that language has two modes - spoken and written. And grammar has evolved to create conventions in the written version of language, along with standardized spelling. Grammar has great utility in formal presentations. But, the spoken language is more often less formal, especially when one is with people they are close to. And there are linguists that have argued that grammar shifts with one's social relationships - peer-to-peer communication tends to have less of it whilst talking to superiors have great displays of the grammatically correct.

Language is changing along with technology and time. Prior to the Internet, written language was taught primarily for study and publication. And until Mark Twain wrote Tom Sawyer, authors tended to be very pedantic about published grammar and dialogue. With Mark Twain, fiction began to represent the colloquial language as it existed. And it ain't very grammatical. Since the advent of the Internet, we now face a new modality of written language that is more akin to dialogue than to presentation or debate. And with it, people just write the way they think and speak rather than edit and revise with precision.

So I wouldn't dwell so much on preserving grammar in whatever state you think it should be. The nature of language is to evolve and it is evolving. And both 'dog' and 'dawg' are acceptable within certain circles. Debate of such points is merely an attempt to impose one's own preferences on a process that extremely open and flexible. (Personally, I'd love to impose some restraints on Aussies as I just can't understand them, but it isn't going to happen.)

~~~~~~~~~

Regarding making your own high temperature nozzles...
    If it is ceramic, I suspect that it requires firing in a kiln to properly vitrify. You might cast your own porcelain nozzles in a small electric kiln, but I doubt your are just going to get a putty that retains shape and resists wear at high temperatures without the vitrification process being involved.