Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Sumobot with ping glitches??? (I think) — Parallax Forums

Sumobot with ping glitches??? (I think)

joy1joy1 Posts: 32
edited 2012-03-07 07:05 in Robotics
Hello all, I've been running a sumobot with a Ping mounted in front if the sumobot. Everything runs fine except at times it "glitches" and stalls out. The stalling happens when it's pushing or about to push...it doesn't do this all the time but it's a pain when it does. Can anyone help with a solution please. I'm running the bot off a 9V battery...I have 4 50:1 silverspark motors running off of 2 independent 11.1 LiPo batteries on independent tiny esc's.

thanks

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2012-03-05 19:42
    There's probably noise causing a reset of the Stamp on the Sumobot due to the high currents drawn in the circumstances you've cited. You'll need to post a schematic of your modified Sumobot, particularly showing clearly your power wiring. What kind of 9V battery? Remember that ordinary 9V alkaline batteries have very limited capacity ... they don't last long.
  • joy1joy1 Posts: 32
    edited 2012-03-06 11:41
    schematic.docx

Here is an attachment of my schematic (I know it's not an actual schematic) but it's the best I could do.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2012-03-06 12:31
    You need to mark the schematic with some kind of labels for the wires. (+) and (-) will work for things with two connections like the batteries and the motors. For the ESCs, you need to indicate logic ground and control signal. For the Sumobot connections, what's the 9V Lithium battery? How are the ESCs connected? How does the PING connect? There are 3 wires from it. Remember that the ESCs will protect themselves from overload. They may not have the current capacity for the heavy load near stall. What's the current rating of the motors near stall?
  • joy1joy1 Posts: 32
    edited 2012-03-07 07:05
    I'm going to send an updated version of the schematic. Just for clarification...which there seems to be a lot of need...I am running three batteries on the sumobot...a 9V lithium runs the main board...the LIPO batteries run the motors. The ESC is rated at 1A. I don't know about the motors but they are silverspark motors 50:1 gear ratio. I'm using the WORD drawing program so I can't get much detail on it but I tried my best.

Thanks for your timeschematic.docx