Quickstart Li-Ion Powered Toddler!! - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Quickstart Li-Ion Powered Toddler!!

2»

Comments

• doggiedocdoggiedoc Posts: 2,240
    edited 2011-12-04 13:31
    Publison wrote: »
    Dremel+cutoff wheel+face mask? :)
    No mask, just glasses. I like my eyes. :)
    edited 2011-12-04 13:32
    Not trying to hijack doggiedoc's thread, but the information does have some merit. Attached is a picture of how I solved the servo problem on the PPSC. The same could be done on the MSR1. I designed some boards using 5K SMD networks to make it a little smaller, but the bulk of it is in the connectors.

Attachment not found.

Attachment not found.
    Nice! Did you come up with that?
    edited 2011-12-05 07:21
    I am having trouble with the Quickstart board and powering from the Li-Ion pack. I made a connector for now so I didn't have to cut off the plug end on the Li-ion board. The problem is that I keep blowing fuses on the Li-ion pack - I suppose the close proximity of pin 39 and 40 I must be shorting the leads.

I think a good solution may be Gadget Gangster's Quick Adapter Module and eyeballing it I think it will fit right in place nicely. Hey Nick!! Help!! LOL

Paul
    edited 2011-12-05 15:51
    Test run = all go! I realized I need better access to Vin. Vdd on the Quickstart board is 3.3v so the servers seem a little sluggish. Does anybody know if there is any reason I should NOT run the servos at 3.3v?

I did order some of Nick's Quick Adapter Modules. Hopefully they will ship out soon. (Are you reading this Nick? :D)

I'll get some video loaded.

Paul
    edited 2011-12-05 19:44
    As promised video with the new board.

[video=youtube_share;mXLfWbWG-2M]
    edited 2011-12-06 09:00
    I figured out why I keep blowing fuses on the Li-ion Battery pack! The connector I made for the plug has a metal face and the tiny little bit of metal on the center positive piece can contact that metal face without extreme care. The subsequent short blows the fuse! Electrical tape over the face fixes that but is ugly. A great suggestion from electromanj was nail polish instead of tape! I am waiting for the first coat to dry now!

Paul
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2011-12-06 17:41
    doggiedoc wrote: »
    As promised video with the new board.

[video=youtube_share;mXLfWbWG-2M]

Nice shuffle!
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2011-12-07 13:10
    Nice shuffle!

I agree.

Thanks for posting a video Paul.
    edited 2011-12-10 06:04
    @Duane, @Jim - thanks for the compliments... progress has stalled temporarily while I wait on shipment of QS Adapter Modules from Gadget Gangster. I was really hoping they would be here by now.
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2011-12-13 15:51
    Hey doggiedoc,

Checking in late on this thread. I was watching it from a distance until now. Nice use of the Li-Ion board and QuickStart.

Looks like that robot shuffles along pretty well with minimal slop. Part of this is because you have higher precision on the American-made sheetmetal pieces. I think I might assemble a Toddler over Christmas break after seeing your project.

Ken Gracey
    edited 2011-12-13 16:23
    Ken -
    Thank you sir! Thanks to your kindness I have enough parts to complete a second one. And it will be Gold! Yay! It was my intention to get it done this past weekend, but alas my ADD took over. :D

Paul