Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Parallax now selling Pololu Dual Motor Driver MC33926 board — Parallax Forums

Parallax now selling Pololu Dual Motor Driver MC33926 board

Ron CzapalaRon Czapala Posts: 2,418
edited 2011-11-20 18:20 in Robotics
I just checked the New Products listing and saw that Parallax is now selling the Dual Motor Driver MC33926

I used it in my Homemade Stingray project and was happy with it. I probably could have used a higher amp driver in case of motor stall but so far so good.

Comments

• LevLev Posts: 182
    edited 2011-11-20 09:18
    I second Ron's comment. I am also using one in my Stingray, and it works great. I have only been able to PWM it up to 16kHz though, but I am not sure if it is due to the hardware or the Spin motor driver.
  • Ron CzapalaRon Czapala Posts: 2,418
    edited 2011-11-20 11:30
    Lev wrote: »
    I second Ron's comment. I am also using one in my Stingray, and it works great. I have only been able to PWM it up to 16kHz though, but I am not sure if it is due to the hardware or the Spin motor driver.

As I recall, there are a couple of ways to use PWM with this board.
    I contacted Pololu and the configuration I used is:
    • Jumpers connected on "D1" and "D2" (also "EN")
    • PWM "IN1" or "IN2" depending on desired rotation direction
    CORRECTION
    I think I tried PWM on D2 but there were issues. Here is my post on the Pololu forum Dual MC33926 question

I think I tried PWM on IN1/IN2 but it would not with higher frequencies.
  • LevLev Posts: 182
    edited 2011-11-20 15:57
    Ron,

Thanks for the info and the link to Pololu support.

I am using IN1/IN2 to drive the motors with PWM. I have all of the D pins pulled low, per the datasheet. It works great at less than 16kHz, but acts unpredictably above that. Might be the wiring, or the counter I am using to drive the PWM - I haven't figured it out yet.

I haven't tried pulsing the D pins yet, but will give it a try. The braking could be helpful
  • Ron CzapalaRon Czapala Posts: 2,418
    edited 2011-11-20 18:20
    Lev wrote: »
    Ron,

Thanks for the info and the link to Pololu support.

I am using IN1/IN2 to drive the motors with PWM. I have all of the D pins pulled low, per the datasheet. It works great at less than 16kHz, but acts unpredictably above that. Might be the wiring, or the counter I am using to drive the PWM - I haven't figured it out yet.

I haven't tried pulsing the D pins yet, but will give it a try. The braking could be helpful

I am using the PWM_32_V4 object http://obex.parallax.com/objects/467/

Not sure what frequency this results in...
    period         = 10000          
    PWM.Duty(M2in2_PIN,rampR,period)             'PWM in2