Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Eddie Update! - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Eddie Update!

2»

Comments

• Tom CTom C Posts: 461
    edited 2011-10-26 13:51
    Matt/Ken,
    Will the wheel encoders be similar to the Motor Control/Wheel Kit but without the HB-25 interface?
    Regards,
    TCIII
  • william chanwilliam chan Posts: 1,326
    edited 2011-10-30 00:14
    Why was EDDIE's price increased recently?
  • Jessica UelmenJessica Uelmen Posts: 490
    edited 2011-10-31 14:28
    Tom C,

Yes. Eddie uses the Motor Mount & Wheel Kit for its motors, wheels and encoders - no HB-25 required.

William,

Bottom line, building Eddies is expensive. We've got many parts that are machined in-house and several sub-assemblies that take a lot of time to put together. In order for Eddie to be a sustainable product line we need to not only cover our costs, but recover our non-recurring engineering costs as well.

Cheers,
    Jessica
    edited 2011-11-08 04:37
    Hi Jessica,
    Will the Eddie Propeller Control Board and other Eddie hardware be available at the same time that the Eddie kit will be back in stock which is 12/1/2011?
    Regards,
    TCIII
    edited 2011-11-15 15:14
    Ken/Jessica,
    Can't you at least give us a hint as to what is transpiring with the Eddie individual components?
    Regards,
    TCIII
    edited 2011-11-16 09:29
    Sure! The hint is...they're still transpiring. :smile:

Right now, we're focusing on building parts for the next batch of Eddies. A lot of the individual components (particularly the wire harness) are quite labor intensive. So once we meet our deadline for our next build, we'll be able to give more accurate estimate of when we'll be able of when we'll be able to stock the individual components.

Cheers,
    Jessica
    edited 2011-11-17 10:27
    Sure! The hint is...they're still transpiring. :smile:

Right now, we're focusing on building parts for the next batch of Eddies. A lot of the individual components (particularly the wire harness) are quite labor intensive. So once we meet our deadline for our next build, we'll be able to give more accurate estimate of when we'll be able of when we'll be able to stock the individual components.

Cheers,
    Jessica
    Nice to know that there is a large demand for Eddie and will keep you busy for a while. Nothing like success!! However, as soon as you can, it would be nice to see the individual Eddie components become available as I am sure that there will be a big demand from us do it yourselfers!
    Regards,
    TCIII
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2011-11-17 10:56
    Tom C wrote: »
    However, as soon as you can, it would be nice to see the individual Eddie components become available as I am sure that there will be a big demand from us do it yourselfers!
    Regards,
    TCIII

Of course, a REAL DIY'er wouldn't wait for parts. He would head straight to the beach to get sand and start making his own silicon...

99% transpiration, 1% inspiration...
    edited 2011-11-17 12:27
    erco wrote: »
    Of course, a REAL DIY'er wouldn't wait for parts. He would head straight to the beach to get sand and start making his own silicon...

99% transpiration, 1% inspiration...
    Unfortunately my silicon foundry furnace went down this week and I do not know when I will have the funds and time to get it back up. LOL
    Regards,
    TCIII
    edited 2011-11-30 10:03
    Hi Jessica/Matt,
    Can you tell us what model of the Lenovo Thinkpad (ie speed, memory, etc) is pictured on the Eddie chassis?
    Regards,
    TCIII
    edited 2011-12-02 04:33
    Hi all,
    I looked at the Robot Section of the Parallax Store this morning and the unassembled Eddie Robot Platform due date of 12/7/2011 has been updated again (12/13/2011) and the unassembled kit still shows out-of-stock! Does this mean that there has been a production slip? I was really hoping to purchase an Eddie Propeller Controller Board before my company's Christmas break. Hopefully this is just a minor set back!
    Regards,
    TCIII
  • Rick BrooksRick Brooks Posts: 67
    edited 2011-12-06 19:31
    So far we have the Eddie hardware available and working. The Propeller firmware on the Eddie is in the late stages of development. So, I’m thinking that the next step will be an Eddie object library within Microsoft Robotics Studio 4 and we will all be programming in MRS4. It appears that C# is the language of choice for MRS4, so I have been working through the excellent Microsoft videos on C# for beginners. It should be noted that the original C language development started the year after I had my last formal programming course in college, so it is all new to me.

After that, all of the users will be developing applications for Eddie in MRS4, and, hopefully posting their results. Does Parallax plan on hosting any collection of Eddie applications, or is that a Microsoft function? I look at the Kinecthacks.net site as an example. Unless I am looking at it wrong, I see lots of wonderful projects, but very few actual posted applications, and no source code for others to learn from. This is a long ways away from the Propeller Object Exchange.

I guess I am really asking what type of support will be available for Eddie with MRS4? Will there be complete applications that we can download and run? Will there be a listing of source code that we can study and copy for our specific Eddie projects? Where should we be looking for this information?

Rick Brooks
    edited 2011-12-13 04:38
    Hi all,
    Looks like the acrylic stand for the Sharp IR sensor used on Eddie is now in stock: http://www.parallax.com/StoreSearchResults/tabid/768/txtSearch/725-28995/List/0/SortField/4/ProductID/796/Default.aspx
    I ordered two of them as I am using three PINGs and two IR sensors on my Eddie clone.
    Regards,
    TCIII
    edited 2011-12-13 09:36
    Twelve bucks each? That costs more than the sensor ! You can see where it's gonna snap off the first time it hits something. That high-profile, skinny-neck shape is grandfathered over from the much stronger aluminum PING bracket. But made in acrylic only guarantees future business.

I'd just make a simple, low-profile backup block and mount the sensors down low next to the chassis disk.
    edited 2011-12-13 10:21
    erco wrote: »
    Twelve bucks each? That costs more than the sensor ! You can see where it's gonna snap off the first time it hits something. That high-profile, skinny-neck shape is grandfathered over from the much stronger aluminum PING bracket. But made in acrylic only guarantees future business.

I'd just make a simple, low-profile backup block and mount the sensors down low next to the chassis disk.
    erco,
    Maybe like this mount from Lynxmotion: http://www.lynxmotion.com/p-397-multi-purpose-sensor-housing.aspx

You can see this type of mount on the Steve's Eddie clone on his website: http://www.norrislabs.com/

About $7.00 cheaper.

Regards,
    TCIII
    edited 2011-12-13 10:30
    Much better. I still say a wood block is stronger & better. Probably takes 4 minutes total to make 4 on a table saw & drill press. Spray paint to suit.

Much as I love Parallax stuff, that particular bracket ain't their crown jewel. :)
  • Trevor TaylorTrevor Taylor Posts: 13
    edited 2011-12-15 12:38
    Tom C wrote: »
    Hi Jessica/Matt,
    Can you tell us what model of the Lenovo Thinkpad (ie speed, memory, etc) is pictured on the Eddie chassis?
    Regards,
    TCIII

We have been using the Lenovo Ideapad Z370 on Eddies. It is a relatively cheap laptop with a Core i5 processor. We buy them with 4GB of memory and Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium which works fine with RDS. It can do skeleton tracking using the Kinect at 25-30 fps. It has three USB ports (two of which need to be on separate USB controllers so you can separate out the Kinect) as well as an Ethernet port (I like wired connections sometimes instead of using WiFi, although not while attached to an Eddie) and an HDMI port.

Trevor
    edited 2011-12-15 13:51
    We have been using the Lenovo Ideapad Z370 on Eddies. It is a relatively cheap laptop with a Core i5 processor. We buy them with 4GB of memory and Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium which works fine with RDS. It can do skeleton tracking using the Kinect at 25-30 fps. It has three USB ports (two of which need to be on separate USB controllers so you can separate out the Kinect) as well as an Ethernet port (I like wired connections sometimes instead of using WiFi, although not while attached to an Eddie) and an HDMI port.

Trevor
    Hi Trevor,
    Thanks for the information. Much appreciated.
    What do you think of an Intel 525 motherboard with dual Atom 1.8GHz processor with 4GB of memory?
    Regards,
    TCIII
  • treborz17treborz17 Posts: 76
    edited 2012-02-07 14:11
    I suppose from the lack of any schedule updates, on purchasing the Eddie controller and/or controller kit for those of us that large investments in the MadeInAmerica units, that Eddie controllers are not going to be available. Is the Eddie still a going project -- have not heard much about it lately?
    edited 2012-02-07 15:24
    treborz17 wrote: »
    I suppose from the lack of any schedule updates, on purchasing the Eddie controller and/or controller kit for those of us that large investments in the MadeInAmerica units, that Eddie controllers are not going to be available. Is the Eddie still a going project -- have not heard much about it lately?

treborz17,

There is hope. Norris Labs (Steve Norris to us) has developed the K-See EDDIE clone: http://www.find.botmag.com/031205

I have adapted Steve's Propeller based controller and Prototino sensor controller to provide the functions of the EDDIE Propeller Controller Board on my EDDIE clone that is built from the Parallax Robot Base and Motor Wheel Controller kits. You can read Steve's K-See article in the March/April issue of Robot Magazine.

I have tested his Propeller Controller software and it works fine. The Prototino sensor controller board requires knowledge of the Arduino line of processors and the Arduino IDE. Presently there is no schematic for the Prototino, but you can figure out the sensor connections by reading the .pde code provided in Steve's Bot Mag download.

Regards,
    TCIII
    1000 x 750 - 127K
    750 x 1000 - 94K
    1000 x 750 - 95K
    1000 x 750 - 145K
    750 x 1000 - 71K
    edited 2012-02-08 10:26
    Tom C,

I subsctibe and have that issue -- just had not read it yet.
    Thank you for all the info - that may even be better than the Eddie - at least we know were we stand.

Robert
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2012-02-08 11:23

Yes, the Eddie Control Board will be made available as a stand-alone item. I just checked our inventory and we have 144 units in stock.

There's one problem we'll have to deal with, treborz17. If you bought your MadeUSA kit prior to the last couple of weeks then your motors will not have the correct connectors for the Eddie Control Board. You can send your motors in to Parallax and we'll swap out the connectors for you, package up your motors and send them back to you. Send them this way:

Ken Gracey, Parallax
    Motor Connector Swap-Out
    599 Menlo Drive
    Rocklin, CA 95765

I'll get the internal product owner of the Eddie Control Board to reply about when these will be posted for sale, too.

Ken Gracey
  • RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2012-02-08 12:31
    Hello Ken,

Any change of buying one of the Eddie control boards early? I have a robot project where this board would be ideal. I've set that aside for now until this board is available. I'm not concerned about the connectors and can come up with something on my own for those.

I'd also like to see if I can buy one of the larger battery trays used on the Eddie robot to upgrade one of the robot bases I have here.

Robert
    edited 2012-02-08 12:59
    Robert - sure, of course. Contact Jim Carey (jcarey@parallax.com) and tell him you'd like to order one. Let him know I'm on the forums blabbing about the availability.

Ken Gracey
    Hello Ken,

Any change of buying one of the Eddie control boards early? I have a robot project where this board would be ideal. I've set that aside for now until this board is available. I'm not concerned about the connectors and can come up with something on my own for those.

I'd also like to see if I can buy one of the larger battery trays used on the Eddie robot to upgrade one of the robot bases I have here.

Robert
    edited 2012-02-09 10:28
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Quote:

Ken Gracey, Parallax
    Motor Connector Swap-Out
    599 Menlo Drive
    Rocklin, CA 95765

I'll get the internal product owner of the Eddie Control Board to reply about when these will be posted for sale, too.

Ken Gracey

Quote end.

Thank you Ken -- I'm not sure what you meant about the "....internal product owner...." .

Robert B
    edited 2012-02-09 10:35
    Aww, sorry about that. I was sufferring from a Parallax insider perspective. Every product inside of Parallax has what we call a "Product Owner" - often referred to outside as a Product Manager. Our Product Owners are responsible for everything related to their device, having control over aspects of manufacturing, marketing and presentation. The internal Product Owner of this one is Jessica, and she's already finished her steps to move the product to the web and now it's up to the web team.

The term Product Owner has nothing to do with ownership of the intellectual property - the design is owned by Parallax.

Ken Gracey
    Quote:

Ken Gracey, Parallax
    Motor Connector Swap-Out
    599 Menlo Drive
    Rocklin, CA 95765

Ken Gracey

Quote end.

Thank you Ken -- I'm not sure what you meant about the "....internal product owner...." .

Robert B
    edited 2012-02-10 13:00
    Hi everyone,

Just a heads up, the board is now up for sale!

http://www.parallax.com/tabid/768/ProductID/817/Default.aspx

Cheers,
    Jessica