Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Eddie Update! — Parallax Forums

Eddie Update!

Jessica UelmenJessica Uelmen Posts: 490
edited 2012-02-10 13:00 in Robotics
Just wanted to point your heads in the direction of a blog posted yesterday, should you like to get an Eddie update.

More information as it develops. :tongue:

Cheers,
Jessica

Comments

• Tom CTom C Posts: 461
    edited 2011-10-06 13:47
    Tomorrow is the big day?

Regards,
    TCIII
  • Jessica UelmenJessica Uelmen Posts: 490
    edited 2011-10-06 17:06
    Tomorrow is indeed the big day! It's crunch time, but the first round of Eddies will go out the door. This is actually the state of our Training Room:

DSCF1517.jpg

There's been a lot of hard & awesome work done by everyone here at Parallax these past couple weeks. We're very excited to let Eddie out into the world and see what people create!

Also don't forget to enter the Robotics @ Home Competition, you could win $10,000 and be loaned an Eddie to complete your project.
    1024 x 768 - 104K
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2011-10-06 18:09
    The ROBOT army is ready.......

The only problem I have with the contest is this rule:
    "You are actively enrolled as a student (including as a graduate or doctoral student) at an accredited educational institution that grants high-school or college/university (or equivalent) degrees (including homeschools) located in the 50 United States (including the District of Columbia) at any time between September 17, 2011 February 29, 2012 OR you are employed in the field of software research or development"
    It eliminates hobbyists and amateur robot builders...for what reason, I can't understand. A large number of Parallaxians don't qualify. Was this a Microsoft restriction??
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    edited 2011-10-06 18:18
    It looks like there is now a (an indirect) connection between Parallax and FIRST.

First is including the Kinect sensor as part of the kit of parts in FRC.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2011-10-07 08:51
    mindrobots wrote: »

"You are actively enrolled as a student (including as a graduate or doctoral student) at an accredited educational institution that grants high-school or college/university (or equivalent) degrees (including homeschools) located in the 50 United States (including the District of Columbia) at any time between September 17, 2011 February 29, 2012 OR you are employed in the field of software research or development"
    It eliminates hobbyists and amateur robot builders...for what reason, I can't understand. A large number of Parallaxians don't qualify. Was this a Microsoft restriction??

+1
  • william chanwilliam chan Posts: 1,326
    edited 2011-10-12 06:13
    Seems like all EDDIEs have been sold out!
    Did Microsoft buy all EDDIEs up?
    When will more be available?
  • Jen J.Jen J. Posts: 649
    edited 2011-10-12 10:11
    More Eddie robot platform kits will be available soon.
    We have our best people on the job!

Cheers, Jen J.
  • Jen J.Jen J. Posts: 649
    edited 2011-10-12 11:19
    BAMN! I told you we had our best people working on it. :)

Unassembled Eddies in stock now:
    http://www.parallax.com/tabid/128/ProductID/775/Default.aspx

Cheers, Jen J.
  • Roy ElthamRoy Eltham Posts: 2,998
    edited 2011-10-12 11:37
    When will I be able to buy just the controller board from the Eddie? Or an upgrade kit to make an Eddie from a MadeUSA that I already have?
  • RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2011-10-12 11:39
    I'd also be interested in buying one of the Eddie boards for a new robot.
    edited 2011-10-12 11:59
    Yes, the Eddie Board will be available separately, but not for awhile yet. The board does use some uncommon connectors for power and the motors, so we would like to work out a way to provide some kind of wire harness with the board. We'll post more info when we can!

Also, I've heard that the contest rules will be changed to include hobbyist entries. Expect more info on that soon as well.
  • Matt GillilandMatt Gilliland Posts: 1,406
    edited 2011-10-12 19:47
    Or an upgrade kit to make an Eddie from a MadeUSA that I already have?
    Hey Roy-
    I'm not sure there will be a "kit", but I'm sure that we'll be making the additional pieces available separately. The only thing to remember is that there are additional holes in the Robot Base to accommodate the additional components that comprise Eddie- which means that you'll have to drill a few extra holes.

The reason we probably won't bundle the extra components as a kit, is that you never know what new things we're going to add to the mix :D We'd have to keep "changing the kit". A-la-carte is a better way to go - you can pick what you want from the menu.

Also available will be the double-capacity Delrin Battery Shelf too, if you want to upgrade that portion of your MadeUSA.

-Matt
    edited 2011-10-12 19:50
    best people working on it.
    It's easy to get higher production output when we're being chased by a chainsaw.
    -Matt
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2011-10-12 20:12
    Don't all loyal Forumites who have been with Parallax for several years, each get a free Eddie?

Is mine in the mail yet?

Hello?

Matt?

Is this thing on?
    edited 2011-10-12 20:20
    Is this thing on?
    no. can't hear you.
    -Matt
  • graffixgraffix Posts: 389
    edited 2011-10-13 02:57
    Wow with only two unassembled eddies left you better get back to makeing more
    edited 2011-10-13 04:34
    Hey Roy-
    I'm not sure there will be a "kit", but I'm sure that we'll be making the additional pieces available separately. The only thing to remember is that there are additional holes in the Robot Base to accommodate the additional components that comprise Eddie- which means that you'll have to drill a few extra holes.

The reason we probably won't bundle the extra components as a kit, is that you never know what new things we're going to add to the mix :D We'd have to keep "changing the kit". A-la-carte is a better way to go - you can pick what you want from the menu.

Also available will be the double-capacity Delrin Battery Shelf too, if you want to upgrade that portion of your MadeUSA.

-Matt

Matt,
    When will the IR sensors and sensor mounts be available in the Store?
    Regards,
    TCIII
  • lokeueilokeuei Posts: 2
    edited 2011-10-14 11:21
    mindrobots wrote: »

Hi guys!

my first post here and I'll start off with an apology. You are definitely welcome and highly encouraged to join! We do accept hobbyists and amateur robot builders in the contest, but we've inadvertently missed calling that out in the rules. We've amended the rules and have updated the page.

Hope it didn't create any problems for you. If you have any additional questions please feel free to ping me via pm or email (lokeuei@microsoft.com)

regards,
    Loke Uei
    Product Manager
    Microsoft Robotics
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2011-10-14 11:26
    lokeuei wrote: »
    Hi guys!

my first post here and I'll start off with an apology. You are definitely welcome and highly encouraged to join! We do accept hobbyists and amateur robot builders in the contest, but we've inadvertently missed calling that out in the rules. We've amended the rules and have updated the page.

Hope it didn't create any problems for you. If you have any additional questions please feel free to ping me via pm or email (lokeuei@microsoft.com)

regards,
    Loke Uei
    Product Manager
    Microsoft Robotics

Wow! Now there's a stand-up company for the hobbyist!

Thanks Loke!

Ken Gracey
  • vanmunchvanmunch Posts: 568
    edited 2011-10-14 13:37
    lokeuei wrote: »
    Hi guys!

regards,
    Loke Uei
    Product Manager
    Microsoft Robotics

Hi Loke, Welcome to the forums!

Thanks for clarifying this. I think you'll make a lot of people excited!

Dave
    edited 2011-10-21 04:35
    It looks like the Sharp IR Sensor is available at the Parallax Store, but no sensor mount yet: http://www.parallax.com/Store/Sensors/ObjectDetection/tabid/176/CategoryID/51/List/0/SortField/0/Level/a/ProductID/776/Default.aspx
    I stocked up on the Sharp sensors a long time ago so I was hoping to be able to buy just the sensor mount.
    Regards,
    TCIII
    edited 2011-10-21 16:29
    TCIII - The sensor mount should be available soon. We're gearing up for another Eddie build, so we're just sorting out what needs to be made. Stay tuned!
    edited 2011-10-21 18:11
    TCIII - The sensor mount should be available soon. We're gearing up for another Eddie build, so we're just sorting out what needs to be made. Stay tuned!
    Jessica,
    Thanks for the updates. Much appreciated. It is always nice to know what to look forward to from Parallax!
    Regards,
    TCIII
    edited 2011-10-26 10:50
    Matt/Ken,

I have downloaded and reviewed the Eddie Robot Platform assembly manual and there are numerous disconnects between the figure numbers in the body of the text and the assembly picture caption numbers.
    Regards,
    TCIII
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2011-10-26 10:59
    Tom C wrote: »
    Matt/Ken,

I have downloaded and reviewed the Eddie Robot Platform assembly manual and there are numerous disconnects between the figure numbers in the body of the text and the assembly picture caption numbers.
    Regards,
    TCIII

Thanks Tom - I think that this was a problem using Word's auto-numerator tool and MattG is aware of it. I'll get him a copy of this post just in case.

Ken Gracey
    edited 2011-10-26 11:10
    there are numerous disconnects between the figure numbers in the body of the text and the assembly picture caption numbers.

Wow. Really? Now who's responsible for that mess-up?
    hmmm?
    hummmm?

Oh, that would be me :innocent:

-Matt
    edited 2011-10-26 11:26
    Hi Tom -
    I'm seeing Step 11 referring to "Figures 10x"...am I missing some anywhere else?
    -Matt
    edited 2011-10-26 11:58
    Ken,
    We have had the same problem in our documents at work, but we have become proficient at outsmarting MS Word. LOL
    Regards,
    TCIII