Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Parallax WiFi Module: internal EOL; product discontinued - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Parallax WiFi Module: internal EOL; product discontinued

2»

Comments

• Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2011-09-26 21:30
    Cluso99 wrote: »
    Ken: just a thought. Perhaps the hardware you have assembled could be sold and what software you are able to release be put on the forum as open mit? Source. Then perhaps some of those on the forum might finish the code as open source without any more parallaxinvolvement.

Hey Cluso!

We've got a pretty big build of these modules (100-200 units) and the hardware is fully functional. The firmware is the problem. We could open-source the whole thing but a developer would need the GainSpan code and Green Hills software license to get anywhere. The Green Hills software isn't cheap and I don't know if our license is transferrable.

How about if we climb out of the current projects we're finishing and then we'll get this code, schematic and product posted for the taking. I need several weeks though because everybody who was working on the WiFi module is now doing something else that took a higher priority.

Sincerely,

Ken Gracey
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2011-09-27 00:09
    Sounds great Ken. Just when time permits. I have too much on my plate but there are possibly others who would like to work on an open solution.

Anyone willing to take up the challenge?
  • UnsoundcodeUnsoundcode Posts: 1,532
    edited 2011-09-27 16:49
    We've got a pretty big build of these modules (100-200 units)

If you wanted to cut your losses I feel sure they would sell here on the forums or ebay, I know I would buy a couple.

I'm thinking that it would not be terribly difficult to build a Windows interface for a simple adhoc network using the GainSpan manual and binaries/software, is Green Hills a neccessity?

Jeff T.
  • Don MDon M Posts: 1,647
    edited 2011-09-28 10:58
    I just received my Digi XBee WiFi dev kit today. I'll see how this will work with the Prop.
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2011-09-28 20:34
    Don M wrote: »
    I just received my Digi XBee WiFi dev kit today. I'll see how this will work with the Prop.

Hey Don, we're very interested in what you learn. Feel free to contact me off-line when you've got a bit of experience underway with this module.

Thanks,

Ken Gracey
  • $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2011-09-29 18:55
    I just ordered the Xbee WiFi dev. kit too.
    '
    I really need to get some stuff going here.
    '
    I've wasted a bunch of time waiting on you know who? Too release a WiFi module.
    '
    Now I'm forced back to a PIC Micro to confirm the wire set-up is correct with the Xbee WiFi unit. (Test bed)
    '
    Thanks
  • Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL)Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL) Posts: 1,720
    edited 2011-10-01 08:01
    I was waiting to put in a parts order for a few months and was holding out for the WiFi module. At least now I can forget it and put my order in.

Did anyone check out the WiFi boards from MikroElektronika.

WiFi - PROTO Board

$54.00 USD

WiFi PROTO Board is a miniature, inexpensive wireless 2.4GHz 802.11b solution for your prototype. It carries MRF24WB0MA Wi-Fi radio transceiver module with integrated PCB antenna, matching circuitry, and supports Wi-Fi with the free TCP/IP protocol stack. Board uses 4-wire SPI and UART interface for communication.

http://www.mikroe.com/eng/products/view/475/wifi-proto-board/
  • $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2011-10-01 10:26
    Cool....Bob
    '
    I saw this unit a year or so ago.But I had to buy 10000 units @ $34.00 bucks each. This slightly exceeded my hobby account and the wife said something like "NO %$#!&%$ WAY"...She doesn't understand the need for WiFi either.
    '
    If you get this working, please post-it here on the forums!