Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propplug to program BasicStamp1 — Parallax Forums

Propplug to program BasicStamp1

DarkelvenangelDarkelvenangel Posts: 4
edited 2011-08-27 00:03 in BASIC Stamp
Is it possible to modify a Propplug to program a BS1 Module?
My understanding is that it can be done but I wonder if I would damage the Propplug, plus it would be nice to know if someone has tried this before.

My computer only has USB ports and I don't have an adapter to use an RS232 or Parallel port over USB. I'd like to save the expense or buying an adapter if something I already own will work.

Thank you

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2011-08-23 20:56
    No, you can't use the PropPlug to program a BS1 module. There's a specific BS1 to serial adapter that's very cheap (I think $10) that you'd use with a USB to RS232 adapter like the one from Parallax. That combination is what I use to program BS1s,
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2011-08-24 09:37
    Even cheaper, the BS1 serial adapter is just $5! http://www.parallax.com/StoreSearchResults/tabid/768/List/0/SortField/4/ProductID/44/Default.aspx?txtSearch=BS1+serial+adapter but per Mike, also requires a USB-serial adapter in many cases.

Heck, for $10 you can buy an old working 286 laptop with a direct-connection Parallel port, and program BS1s & BS2s in monochrome DOS!

I have an old Compaq 286 LTE which I use on rare occasions, it still works swimmingly. Parallax may not officially support the DOS editor any longer, but it was and remains quite stable & useful.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2011-08-24 09:49
    erco wrote: »
    I have an old Compaq 286 LTE which I use on rare occasions, it still works swimmingly. Parallax may not officially support the DOS editor any longer, but it was and remains quite stable & useful.

Erco, that is dedication!
  • davejamesdavejames Posts: 4,047
    edited 2011-08-24 09:50

Dedication? Twisted, more like it!
    edited 2011-08-24 09:52

No, just common sense. You can't get a blue screen of death on a DOS monochrome LCD display!
  • DarkelvenangelDarkelvenangel Posts: 4
    edited 2011-08-25 20:43
    I see that the propplug can not program a BS1 directly this I knew. Looking at the circuit diagram for the BS1 serial port adapter I see that a seemingly simple modification is needed to use the propplug in place or an USB-RS232 adaptor. Am I right in thinking that the output is simply inverted? Both the propplug and BS1 operate at a TTL level as per the spec. If this is the case all I need is an 74hc04 in line with the propplug and I'm laughing?
    edited 2011-08-25 21:40
    I just tested my idea, and found that a connection to the BS1 through the propplug simply connecting the pins VSS - VSS | TX - Pci | RX - Pco Works as far as detecting my BS1 in the software as a BASIC Stamp 1 ver 1.4 however attempts to program the BS1 fail. Is this because I need to invert the TX line or is my BS1 not working? The BS1 I have is a REV B.

This is my program
    ' {$STAMP BS1}
    ' {$PBASIC 1.0}

Main:
      DEBUG CLS, "This is working "  ' display
      PAUSE 50                                 ' short delay
      GOTO Main                               ' repeat forever
      END

edited 2011-08-26 14:25
    Inversion is not the issue. I am looking into this though as it does seem you should be able to use the Prop Plug. I will report back once I have something.
    edited 2011-08-26 15:39
    Thank you Chris that would be awesome.
    edited 2011-08-26 18:15
    @Chris: Way to dive right in, Mr. Proactive!

Seems to me that a Spin Stamp, an inverter, and a tunnel diode might be used to generate antimatter. Could you please look into that next? :)
    edited 2011-08-27 00:03
    Erco, I think we'll start out small. I will admit to being a bit confused by the BS1 not working with the Prop Plug. I tried it myself and it does identify but not program. It is not inversion, but on my end the command bytes being sent to the BS1 were being scrambled somehow. As I said, I am still looking into it. I may not have an answer until Monday when Parallax is open again and I can get a hold of the schematics I need.