Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
What Are You Going To Do With The New WiFi? — Parallax Forums

What Are You Going To Do With The New WiFi?

Bill ChennaultBill Chennault Posts: 1,198
edited 2011-07-24 10:38 in Accessories
All--

What are your plans for Parallax's new WiFi module? I have many, but my first is a Parallax micro-controlled machine using Stamps or the Propeller to monitor sensors, sending input to a desktop or laptop. The PC will execute code which will precisely maneuver the robot about a "known" room. I have an old--circa 1979--idea using beacons (probably laser reflection targets) for navigation that I would like to implement. (I had the idea in 1979. I think it is common-place today.)

I am interested in your plans and ideas about this exciting product!

--Bill

Comments

• ElectricAyeElectricAye Posts: 4,561
    edited 2011-07-22 22:42
    Will this WiFi gadget allow a Propeller to communicate directly with a computer? or some other device via a router, or do you also need a Spinneret or something else as an interface?

I'm clueless about WiFi so I'm just curious how the general set-up works. For example, would you have Propeller+Wifi.Module able to talk directly to another Propeller+Wifi.Module? or would it need a router? or what sort of things will this let us do?
  • VonSzarvasVonSzarvas Posts: 3,331
    edited 2011-07-23 01:08
    You should think about the wifi connection just like a lan (wired) connection. Once you set the ip addresses in the same range they can see and talk to each other. Sometimes the ip addresses are auto-configured by a dhcp server; perhaps built into your home wifi router. Othertimes you can just set the ips manually.

So yes, prop to prop will be possible. Or even prop to your home wifi router, so you can "talk" prop to pc, or even prop to iphone/android!

The router is just a convenient way to join many devices together, and might also include some other convenience features like a dhcp or voip server, and often also provide internet connectivity. But you can also join devices directly. Perhaps consider the usb hub... Without the hub you can plug one usb device to your pc, but add the hub and several usb devices can talk together.
  • ElectricAyeElectricAye Posts: 4,561
    edited 2011-07-23 06:57
    Maxwin wrote: »

So yes, prop to prop will be possible. Or even prop to your home wifi router, so you can "talk" prop to pc, or even prop to iphone/android!....

Thanks, Maxwin, that is indeed good news!
  • ypapelisypapelis Posts: 99
    edited 2011-07-24 07:09
    Build a bunch of home monitoring devices that can be checked/controlled by a smartphone. First priority is checking if I left the A/C running on the top floor and controlling it on/off, confirming the garage doors are closed etc.
  • $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2011-07-24 10:38
    ypapelis wrote: »
    Build a bunch of home monitoring devices that can be checked/controlled by a smartphone. First priority is checking if I left the A/C running on the top floor and controlling it on/off, confirming the garage doors are closed etc.
    '
    Thats what I'm talking about!!!!
    '
    The WiFi module will really reduce the amount of interface devices that I have in place now.