Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Announcement - PropGFX Lite Binary Released - Page 6 — Parallax Forums

Announcement - PropGFX Lite Binary Released

Comments

• Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2011-08-03 20:53
    Dr_Acula wrote: »
    It is indeed very impressive.

Regarding windows and complexity, I came across the same issue recently with the efforts in C, and I am thinking at the moment that you only have one window, but you can have a special case popup dialog window that asks questions "yes/no" and is an input box. Thinking of other "special case" windows, that might also include the file directory dialog box from the .net programs, and the color picker box.

Generally these boxes/windows need immediate input from the user, and once something is selected (a file or whatever), the box is closed. This is very different from the behavior of windows that stay open all the time.

The popup dialog can capture the screen behind it first, then ask for input, and then redraw the screen behind afterwards. And you have to blank the mouse as well during those redraws.

Yes, this is exactly what I've come to for this as well...
    What language are you writing this in?

Spin.. Of course.. ;)

OBC
  • BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
    edited 2011-08-04 01:58
    That's excellent OBC :) great progress too!
    edited 2011-08-04 02:44
    Quick question, how many Propgfx users can view PAL displays? or should I say how many can't?
  • Dr_AculaDr_Acula Posts: 5,484
    edited 2011-08-04 02:53
    I can't speak for the propgfx users on that one, but my experience is that modern TVs and TV LCD displays can handle NTSC and PAL and will automatically switch between the two, so maybe this does not matter nearly so much as it used to back when I were a lad...
    edited 2011-08-04 03:12
    Dr_A,
    The reason I ask is because USA and Canada TVs don't seem to care about any other region, even 10 years back, all my TVs had PAL+NTSC, even cheap makes had PAL+NTSC, whereas when I was over in the US and Canada both countries TVs didn't have PAL options, even in the Sony stores over there.
    I know 10 years is a long time, but they had no sign of adopting PAL options back then, and I don't know if it's still the same, as most people on here from the US need NTSC drivers over PAL.
    :)
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,254
    edited 2011-08-04 08:21
    Most every real TV I have will not display PAL in color. A fair number of them will display the monochrome signal, but they are pissy about it. Most every TV will do 50 and 60 HZ NTSC though. We've not really done that trick here in Prop land, but 50Hz NTSC offers a better blanking time, and a overall speed match up with PAL. (I did see this being done on Amiga and of all things, the CoCo 3 will display 50Hz NTSC)

My only access to PAL is via capture card. IMHO, the US is kind of crappy about this, with multi-region devices being very rare. When doing some CoCo 3 programming to display artifact colors on that computer (256 of them), I worked with a friend in Australia, who also found it very difficult to obtain a NTSC capable TV, so there is some of the opposite going on in various parts of the world. Annoying, if you ask me.

If there are going to be tweaks, how about S-video? It's only a coupla bits, and the display quality is significantly improved. :)

All that said, I'm happy to work on either one, but I never have seen a PAL display that looked good on a Prop. If I tweak it, it can look kind of sort of good. Color variances are high, due to PAL requiring more precision than the prop is capable of, IMHO. Monochrome PAL is great!! But, I'll deal because I know the PAL users out there often have to deal too. We all just deal :)
    edited 2011-08-04 09:53
    I thought as much :) hence asking the question :)
    is the 50hz ntsc hard to set up? for say the parallax tv driver?
  • ColeyColey Posts: 1,108
    edited 2011-08-04 12:22
    OBC, that looks great! I'm looking forward to seeing you get this finished. :smile:

Regards,

Coley
    edited 2011-08-06 14:57
    So is it not worth me posting a game for PAL until I do an NTSC hack, as it needs a 256 pixel deep display.
    edited 2011-08-06 15:09
    I'll do what it takes to see it in PAL.

Now, I have to wonder whether or not more scans can be coaxed from NTSC displays... The 50Hz ones I've seen all kept the scan count the same, just stretching VBLANK. Maybe that can change. If it can, it sure won't render on many digital displays, but the analog ones might work, as might the capture cards and such.
    edited 2011-08-06 15:25
    Well if you can make parallax NTSC driver do NTSC 50Hz let me know how you did it, and I'll add it to this game.
    edited 2011-08-06 15:49
    Will be playing next week :)
    edited 2011-08-06 16:56
    Cool, just a couple of small things to finish for the PAL version, then I'll post it.
    Then look at modifying it to fit into NTSC screen space!
    edited 2011-08-07 11:15
    I'm just having an VSync issue with Gadget Gangster setup, so I'll just post a vid for the moment of it running on Hybrid with PropGFX Lite.
    And will post code once I have it working correctly on Gadget Gangster board also.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2011-08-07 15:12
    Nice work. Brings back memories of space invaders and the likes :)
    edited 2011-08-08 02:14
    Thanks Cluso99 :D me too, which is why I wrote it, I was the first person in our area to get to complete all 6 stages, and won £10 which was a LOT of money way back then ;D
    it was a clever idea for them to have a £10 prize for the first to complete all 6 stages, as they must have raked the money in for them haha.
  • AleAle Posts: 2,363
    edited 2011-08-08 02:43
    But aren't most TVs nowadays PAL and NTSC compatible ?...specially if they have a composite input...
    edited 2011-08-08 02:49
    Don't know ALE, I think the US are NSTC only, or at least they were, which is why I asked the question :D
    edited 2011-08-08 02:55
    We used to have big problems back in the 80s. Plenty came from the usa (NTSC) and plently from Europe, our PAL is know as "N" (for no-compatible, I'd think) as it has a chroma clock of 3.58 MHz but is 50 Hz... don't ask me who was the clever who came with such a hack... and most TVs were synchronous (the would not use the provided sync :( ), like my old Philips 20"... Made in Argentina!
  • SapiehaSapieha Posts: 2,964
    edited 2011-08-08 05:40
    Hi Ale.

NO - Some nice TFT TV mpnitors to small DVD's in Europe are only PAL.
    I have that ones. And not all drivers will function with them

Ale wrote: »
    But aren't most TVs nowadays PAL and NTSC compatible ?...specially if they have a composite input...
    edited 2011-08-08 06:04
    I thought that maybe those were PAL or NTSC only. I wonder if a 50 Hz version of NTSC would work (or the other way around)... but as you (Sapiaha) say not all drivers work :(
    edited 2011-08-08 10:29
    Let's say I'm not going to solder two protoboards together. I'm not. I've built up the PropGFX protoboard, and it works so far. I'm wanting to connect it to a PPDB, just plugging into the other propeller pins with the headers supplied.

Is there a problem with power supply variances and such? Floating grounds? Not sure... I'm gonna split the supply I have, which is a simple wall wart type, and drive both boards, because I only brought one with me. Am I about to botch something?
    edited 2011-08-08 10:38
    BTW: I found no instances of NTSC 50Hz displaying extra scan lines Baggers. It seems to me, a longer VBLANK so far. When I get back to my Color Computer III, which does output this, I'll have to scope it to see what it is doing. A while back, I toggled the 50Hz switch in it's graphics chip, and sure enough! Out came NTSC running at 50Hz. Never did try a capture card to see if one of those would work, but most TV's did. I think this happened on the AMIGA too, for NTSC / PAL speed compatibility.
    edited 2011-08-08 16:15
    cool, good news on 50Hz NTSC, lets hope we find a way to get more scan lines for NTSC :D
    And good look setting your board up!
    edited 2011-08-09 14:13
    Bump!

I'm not gonna hook the two together until I know. I have a spare Prop for the PPDB, but it's a one time shot for the Proto Board.

Again, the question is simple: I have one wall wart. If I connect both boards to it, can I then connect both Propellers directly? I think I can, but I would rather know before annoying myself for the rest of the week!

Right now I have a ribbon cable soldered to the pins on the Proto Board. It's got a header on it that can be plugged into the pin headers on the PPDB, direct connection.

Let me know, if I need to provide some other data. (and yes, I should know better, but I don't, and so better safe than sorry)
    edited 2011-08-09 14:50
    I'm running two Propeller protoboards off a single walwart. I removed the power connected from one of the boards, tied Vss,Vdd,3v,5v connections together. The 5v regulator runs warmer than it would have, but have around 30 hours of run time on it so far without issues.

OBC
    edited 2011-08-09 14:52
    Potatohead,
    You will be ok to connect the two Props together as long as you have a common ground.
    So your interface cable will be 11 wires, 10 for the databus P0-P9 on the PropGFX and VSS (Gnd)
    Just make sure that you don't connect the 5V or 3V3 together! (I'm sure you know that already though :tongue:)
    Regards,

Coley

EDIT - Reading what OBC just wrote, regarding connecting the 3V3 and 5V, I wouldn't do it as some regulators will can go short circuit if you do this.
    It all depends on your setup......
    When I built the prototypes up for DuoGFX (two Parallax proto boards stacked) I removed the regulators from one of the PCB's and commoned up the supplies from the other.
    edited 2011-08-09 15:05
    Missed VSS. Will be adding that one. Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks OBC & Coley. Edit: Actually, had I not missed that one, I might not have asked this question. Funny how that works.

That's not a bad idea removing the regulator. Maybe I should just do it on the Protoboard, and tap off the PPDB. Will think about it later. Probably won't though, if VSS is the real answer, best to do that. I'll have multiple supplies, or one bench tap to work from in the future. Just didn't pack the right goodies.
    edited 2011-08-09 15:23
    potatohead wrote: »
    That's not a bad idea removing the regulator. Maybe I should just do it on the Protoboard, and tap off the PPDB. Will think about it later. Probably won't though, if VSS is the real answer, best to do that. I'll have multiple supplies, or one bench tap to work from in the future. Just didn't pack the right goodies.

It's a bit extreme but it does work, just depends if you need to re-use the board later, if you do just lift the regulator legs off the PCB

Here's what I did.....

IMAG0099.jpg
    1024 x 613 - 97K
    edited 2011-08-09 16:14
    @Coley: That's good advice. My board is powered from the top-->down. I'll pull the two regulators from the bottom board.

OBC