Announcement - PropGFX Lite Binary Released - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Announcement - PropGFX Lite Binary Released

Comments

• BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
    edited 2011-07-06 10:52
    Ahle2 wrote: »
    @Jim
    You are the man.
    The youtube clip with vector-balls and the Amiga boing ball is VERY impressive. (especially for an guy having 5 Amigas)
    It looks like it uses more than the standard color range of the propeller; But that might just be an illusion due to poor video quality.
    Does it use VGA or Video?

The funny thing about that demo, is I didn't realise it's inspiration was from our forum's very own MPark's 8bit version.
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2011-07-06 11:26
    @Baggers,

Would appreciate both a 6mhz crystal version (for C64 mode stuff) and a the ability to do serial for configurations which do not lend themselves readily to more than a couple connection points.

Thanks!!

OBC
  • MicrocontrolledMicrocontrolled Posts: 2,461
    edited 2011-07-06 16:33
    @Baggers: I didn't realize that you had posted those earlier in this thread, and I was just going by what was on the site. Thanks! :-)

I have a question, though. Although the PropGFX logo is showing up quite nicely on the screen, it doesn't seem to receive any data from the host. I've gone over all the connections with a tester and they all read connected, so I'm not sure what is causing this. I used the USB protoboards if that makes a difference, and connected the reset pins with a wire soldered to the left side of each reset button (also checks out). The only other different thing was I simply connected the whole power systems together from the barrel plugs rather than accessing them at the servo ports. Do you know what may be causing this?
  • RoadsterRoadster Posts: 209
    edited 2011-07-06 19:01
    board1.jpg

Here is a Propeller platform board that I have been working on, it has audio, video out, WII, PS/2 input, but I have no place to put an sd card, I was wondering if it is possible to have a propGFX lite version that uses a different set of buss pins since the Propeller platform board has an sd card on pins 0-3
    652 x 567 - 108K
    edited 2011-07-06 19:50
    Wow..

@Roadster.. You read my mind..

http://www.savagecircuits.com/forums/showthread.php?715-Hades-just-froze-over...&p=5538#post5538

Add R & L channels audio and you've got a product I want my hands on.. :)

OBC
  • trodosstrodoss Posts: 577
    edited 2011-07-06 20:31
    Roadster wrote: »
    Here is a Propeller platform board that I have been working on, it has audio, video out, WII, PS/2 input,...
    I agree with OBC, that looks great! I especially like the Wii connector on board. I would think mono sound would work well enough if you can't fit it on the board. Otherwise you could use an audio jack like this one.
    edited 2011-07-06 20:42
    One possible change.. Bring in the audio channels from the bottom Propeller, not the one that is running the PropGFX software.

OBC
  • Dr_AculaDr_Acula Posts: 5,484
    edited 2011-07-06 22:43
    Hi Baggers,

See below for a comparison of 128x96 vs 256x96 with Floyd Steinberg. Looking quite good for an 86 color palatte.

The pixels are tall and thin, as expected, but I think this is definitely going to improve the resolution.

Attached is the simple slide show and movie player - this is using your 128x96 driver. What settings would I change to get 256x96?

It may still take some work to get this working - there is only 8k free but I need another 12k for the screen buffer. The obj list looks like this
    OBJ

tv    : "JB_TV_AMS_03"
      key   : "ComboKeyboard"             ' commenting this out makes half the screen not work??
      fat   : "SD2.0_FATEngine.spin"            ' thanks to Kye
    '  kb    : "keyboard"                 ' keyboard

and for some strange reason, commenting out "key" makes half the screen not work. Maybe it is used somewhere else??

I had an idea that removing unused methods would save some space. Kye's driver can also be pared down a lot as there is a huge amount not used (even sd writes). BST can compile and "remove unused methods" which ought to save some space too.

If you can help me with the 256x96 driver I should be able to fix these other problems.

Attached is the picture file (with a .tv extension, but it is really just a binary file with the hex values for the standard tv colors 02 to 07 for gray etc).

Cheers, Drac
  • ColeyColey Posts: 1,108
    edited 2011-07-07 01:19
    All,

We won't be making any changes/enhancements to the PropGFX Lite binary release in the short term.

Please be respectful that they have cost both myself and Baggers a considerable amount in both time and money.
    We have released the binaries to the Propeller community as a gesture of goodwill in the hope that you can do something creative with them.
    We may make changes and enhancements in the future but that will be dependent upon what we see produced on here, there seems little point in investing more time in this for no return.

Please also be mindful that under the terms of the licence they are not to be used in any way for commercial purposes without permission.

Regards,

Coley
    edited 2011-07-07 01:27
    @Baggers: I didn't realize that you had posted those earlier in this thread, and I was just going by what was on the site. Thanks! :-)

I have a question, though. Although the PropGFX logo is showing up quite nicely on the screen, it doesn't seem to receive any data from the host. I've gone over all the connections with a tester and they all read connected, so I'm not sure what is causing this. I used the USB protoboards if that makes a difference, and connected the reset pins with a wire soldered to the left side of each reset button (also checks out). The only other different thing was I simply connected the whole power systems together from the barrel plugs rather than accessing them at the servo ports. Do you know what may be causing this?

Hi Microcontrolled,

How have you connected the PropGFX Propeller to the host Propeller?

The way the demo apps are set up is for P0-P9 to be connected straight through but you can change this in the GFX_BINARY_DataBus object in the CON section.
    CON

DATABUSSTARTPIN = 0
    RXPIN = 8
    TXPIN = 9

I would start with the simplest demo which is the Hello World one.

Regards,

Coley
  • RoadsterRoadster Posts: 209
    edited 2011-07-07 03:39
    @Coley,
    I'm not looking to make money on your PropGFX Lite, I have no time for a business with kids, a naging wife and a full time job, I'm lucky I have time to work on this board.
    edited 2011-07-07 03:51
    Roadster wrote: »
    @Coley,
    I'm not looking to make money on your PropGFX Lite, I have no time for a business with kids, a naging wife and a full time job, I'm lucky I have time to work on this board.

Hi Roadster,

Believe me, I know exactly where you are coming from, it wasn't directed at you just a gentle reminder to all :smile:

Regards,

Coley
    edited 2011-07-07 05:32
    Hi all, as coley points out, we put a lot of time and effort into PropGFX and there seems to be a few people wanting to make boards with it, if you want to make a board with it, please by all means do so, but it'll have to use the proper PropGFX lite if it's to go into a production board. :D
    edited 2011-07-07 09:53
    @OBC: I don't see why anyone would need a different Xtal speed - don't all Parallax boards have replaceable Xtals? And wouldn't it be a waste to use a C3 for anything other than the host, considering how it will only use the video out?
    edited 2011-07-07 10:00
    Dr_Acula wrote: »
    Hi Baggers,

See below for a comparison of 128x96 vs 256x96 with Floyd Steinberg. Looking quite good for an 86 color palatte.

The pixels are tall and thin, as expected, but I think this is definitely going to improve the resolution.

Attached is the simple slide show and movie player - this is using your 128x96 driver. What settings would I change to get 256x96?

It may still take some work to get this working - there is only 8k free but I need another 12k for the screen buffer. The obj list looks like this
    OBJ

tv    : "JB_TV_AMS_03"
      key   : "ComboKeyboard"             ' commenting this out makes half the screen not work??
      fat   : "SD2.0_FATEngine.spin"            ' thanks to Kye
    '  kb    : "keyboard"                 ' keyboard

and for some strange reason, commenting out "key" makes half the screen not work. Maybe it is used somewhere else??

I had an idea that removing unused methods would save some space. Kye's driver can also be pared down a lot as there is a huge amount not used (even sd writes). BST can compile and "remove unused methods" which ought to save some space too.

If you can help me with the 256x96 driver I should be able to fix these other problems.

Attached is the picture file (with a .tv extension, but it is really just a binary file with the hex values for the standard tv colors 02 to 07 for gray etc).

Cheers, Drac

Drac, there was no tv files or the movie file to go with that!
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,254
    edited 2011-07-07 10:01
    Hey all! I'm envious... @Baggers, "no, I got called for work :( -->Soon though, very soon!"

@micro, the different clock enables different pixel output rates on PropGFX due to the waitvid timing needed. On the host, it's whatever clock you feel makes sense. If some stuff gets built, I think we will see the 6mhz version "appear", LOL!!
    edited 2011-07-07 10:02
    @OBC: I don't see why anyone would need a different Xtal speed - don't all Parallax boards have replaceable Xtals? And wouldn't it be a waste to use a C3 for anything other than the host, considering how it will only use the video out?

Which is why we made it protoboard, as they're a cheap prop board, and most people will have one, and people who have other boards possibly have a protoboard spare!
    edited 2011-07-07 11:08
    Oh btw Drac, on the 256x96 display, if you comment out combokeyboard, put FAT above TV and it works!
    edited 2011-07-07 11:12

@Microcontroller: The higher xtal speeds with PropGFX lite give it the ability to do a slightly higher resolution, supporting C64 type graphics modes. The crystal in the Protoboard running PropGFX would only need to be swapped to give it this ability with the supporting code.

(Gotta twist Baggers arm just a little further for this and some additional documentation and code examples.) *twist* *twist* :);)

OBC
    edited 2011-07-07 11:47
    @OBC

Seeing as you are one of the main protagonists on here I am interested in what ideas you have and where this could then be useful to others.

Is it gaming you want this for or something else?
    Perhaps a wrapper to handle the some of the more complex functions might help?

I'm just trying to think of what we need tutorial wise.....

Regards,

Coley
    edited 2011-07-07 11:58
    Drac, this shows 256x96, for your TV thing, I didn't have a vid file to test.
    edited 2011-07-07 12:13
    @Baggers: I figured out I had a short in one of the Prop pins. It works now, and very well! The 3D demo is hard to understand, but really cool. I also really like the automatic fade effect on the text in the Hello world program. I'll be trying out the other demos soon!

@OBC: Ah! I see you are still on your quest for C64 emulation. :-)
    edited 2011-07-07 12:17
    @Baggers: How do you create the bitmaps for PropGFX? Is there some sort of converter, or are you manually inserting code into a text file?
    edited 2011-07-07 12:50
    Coley wrote: »
    @OBC

Seeing as you are one of the main protagonists on here

I think he's on to me... ;)
    Is it gaming you want this for or something else?

Gaming (of course), with enough colors and resolution this could also become the engine for a Propeller GUI, this could also be useful for folks who would benefit from graphical odometers, meters, etc.
    Perhaps a wrapper to handle the some of the more complex functions might help?

Wrappers to handle complex functions as well as methods by which existing media can be created on the PC and imported into the PropGFX enviroment. (sprites, fonts, graphics, backgrounds, video). There are several very good tools on the PC for sprite/graphics creation which would lend themselves to development on the PC for the Propeller. (Perhaps later we can get development onto the Propeller itself. PropII?)

OBC
    edited 2011-07-07 12:51

@OBC: Ah! I see you are still on your quest for C64 emulation. :-)

It's the reason I showed up in the first place.. I don't give up easily.. :)

OBC
    edited 2011-07-07 13:30
    @microcontrolled, glad you got it working :) and like the 3D demo, yes, it's a bit deep codewise, but I had to code the sections in PASM for speed. Also, it's my Bmp8toLite app that converts the graphics.
    edited 2011-07-07 13:59
    @Baggers: OK, thanks!
    I have some questions, though, concerning some of the Graphics and sprite functions of the engine. Specifically, what would I need to do to:
    - Draw a simple line?
    - Make a simple polygon?
    - Display a sprite?
    - Display a full screen bitmap?
    - Move a sprite?

Thanks!
    edited 2011-07-07 14:23
    @Microcontrolled,
    You might have seen in the comments, however I thought I might mention that the 3D was converted from LightWave 3D format (LWO).

I think OBC had put Bagger's utility here (Bmp8toLite.exe)

The IK+ demo has a demonstration of how to use the tiles/sprites with the driver.
    It uses a lot of "pseudo structures" to access elements (such as sprites). The constants SPRX (sprite X), SPRY (sprite Y), SPRP (sprite palette?), and SPRC (sprite character?) are used throughout the code to access these elements in the correct position within the array.

Hopefully that helps.
    --trodoss
    edited 2011-07-07 15:07
    @trodoss: Thanks! I had some trouble finding the software, so I appreciate the link. BTW is there an operating guide? It's a command line executable, but how do you operate it?
    LightWave conversion is easy with Blender, so I should be able to import my own 3D objects. Is there a specific convertor for this as well?

Sorry to be so much trouble, I just want to know the full capabilities of this device.
    edited 2011-07-07 15:14
    @Microcontrolled,

for Bmp8toLite.exe, here are the command-line options:
    bmp8toLite.exe (C) 2009 Jim Bagley
    usage :-
    bmp8toLite.exe Filename <-options>
    Filename is without the '.bmp' extension
    -vga            use VGA colours for the palette
    -c64s           Grab C64 sprites, C64 sprites are 24x21, it will grab the size of the bmp
                    C64 sprites can be either fat pixel(4colour) or fine pixel(2colour)
    -c64bitmap2     Grab a C64 2 colour mode bitmap image
    -c64bitmap4     Grab a C64 4 colour mode bitmap image ( fat pixels )
    -amsbitmap4     Grab Amstrad 4 colour bitmap mode ( fine pixels )
    -amsbitmap16    Grab Amstrad 16 colour bitmap mode ( fat pixels )
    -bitmap2        Grab screen as 1bit ( 2 colour with attributes ) bitmap
    -bitmap4        Grab screen as 2bit ( 4 colour with attributes ) bitmap
    -bitmap16       Grab screen as 4bit ( 16 colour with attributes ) bitmap
    -bitmap256      Grab screen as 8bit ( 256 colour ) bitmap
    -charmap2       Grab screen as 1bit ( 2 colour with attributes ) character map
    -charmap4       Grab screen as 2bit ( 4 colour with attributes ) character map
    -charmap16      Grab screen as 4bit ( 16 colour with attributes ) character map
    -charmap256     Grab screen as 8bit ( 256 colour ) character map
    -c64charmap4    Grab screen as 2bit fat pixel ( 4 colour with attributes ) character map
    -amscharmap16   Grab screen as 4bit fat pixel ( 16 colour with attributes ) character map
    -invx           Invert X pixel order per byte
    -rpt            Turns on Character repeat check, for maps, ie doesn't store same character twice.
    -repeat         same as -rpt.
    -repeatable     same as -rpt.
    -1x1            Sets blocks to 1x1 (8x8 pixels) for charmap grabbing.
    -2x2            Sets blocks to 2x2 (16x16 pixels) for charmap grabbing.
    -4x4            Sets blocks to 4x4 (32x32 pixels) for charmap grabbing.
    -8x8            Sets blocks to 8x8 (64x64 pixels) for charmap grabbing.
    -yfirst         Sets Y grab first for map layout
    -xfirst         Sets X grab first for map layout (default)
    -invx           inverts the pixel order in a byte for spectrum and fast spectrum
    -nopal          Don't save palette in 8bit mode, use real colour values
    -2600           Grab a 2600 style background
    -using          grab chars from screen, but using a file as a base font
    exename filename

That is probably as close to a "manual" as would exist for that application.