Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Just Out: Robot Builders Bonanza 4th edition — Parallax Forums

Just Out: Robot Builders Bonanza 4th edition

ercoerco Posts: 20,255
edited 2012-02-22 08:51 in Robotics
Just in time for Father's Day! The 4th edition is now available and a bargain at just $20 at

http://www.amazon.com/Robot-Builders-Bonanza-Gordon-McComb/dp/0071750363 ($20)

and

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/robot-builders-bonanza-4th-edition-gordon-mccomb/1030089758?ean=9780071750363&itm=2&usri=robot%2bbuilder%2bs%2bbonanza ($20)

Just got a copy and I'm wowed by the completeness of new material and breadth of knowledge. Tons of useful info and construction projects. Hardware, software, sensors, theory, web links, it's all here and well-organized. I had the second edition previously, but this fourth edition is much improved and required reading for any robot enthusiast. Naturally the BASIC Stamp is covered, as well as PicAxe & Arduino. Truly something for everyone.

Plans for several robot platforms, all made from various materials are included. (Quite naturally, the book's protagonist and hero is a small wooden creation called Plybot...)

Gordon McComb is the author and a contributing Forumista here. This book was great from its early editions, and it has evolved into THE consummate robot reference book. I don't know that he left out enough material to ever justify a future fifth edition, so grab yours now... Great work, Gordon!

Comments

• GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2011-06-17 13:27
    Erco, Thanks for the post. I'm still wandering around the house numb from the amount of time it took me to do this book (a year; that's right ... a full year).

PlyBot (in future editions it'll be known as the ErcoBot) proves that denuding the world of its foliage still has its place.

Keen eyes will note there isn't anything on the Propeller. I actually had to cut gobs from the book. I turned in a manuscript that, if printed as-is, would have been over 1,100 pages. Talk about destroying trees. So we agreed to pull some out, cram what we could in, and put the rest in other books yet to be published.

-- Gordon
  • Ron CzapalaRon Czapala Posts: 2,418
    edited 2011-06-17 13:31
    Congrats Gordon! Is it available as an eBook?

save a few trees ;-)
  • Bill HenningBill Henning Posts: 6,445
    edited 2011-06-17 13:42
    Congrats on the book Gordon!

Sniff... http://Mikronauts.com/roboprop/ did not make it (since there isn't anything on the Propeller)...

I am still ordering a copy of the book - sounds like a great resource :-)
    Erco, Thanks for the post. I'm still wandering around the house numb from the amount of time it took me to do this book (a year; that's right ... a full year).

PlyBot (in future editions it'll be known as the ErcoBot) proves that denuding the world of its foliage still has its place.

Keen eyes will note there isn't anything on the Propeller. I actually had to cut gobs from the book. I turned in a manuscript that, if printed as-is, would have been over 1,100 pages. Talk about destroying trees. So we agreed to pull some out, cram what we could in, and put the rest in other books yet to be published.

-- Gordon
  • RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2011-06-17 13:45
    One more book that I need to buy for my Library!

Robert
    edited 2011-06-17 14:12
    Congrats Gordon! Is it available as an eBook?

save a few trees ;-)

The ebook versions always take a little while longer because the files have to be repurposed and rechecked (I don't trust the automated InDesign converters). The plan is to put it out in Kindle and EPUB (for Nook) at the least.

-- Gordon
    edited 2011-06-17 14:17
    Congrats on the book Gordon!

Sniff... http://Mikronauts.com/roboprop/ did not make it (since there isn't anything on the Propeller)...

I am still ordering a copy of the book - sounds like a great resource :-)

Bill, I have some plans regarding fostering Propeller coverage in the press, and Ken and I talked about it briefly at UPEW. There are many great products out there that need more coverage.

As the RoboProp is designed to fit the DAGU kits, have you talked to Russell Cameron at DAGU? If not PM me and I can provide his email.

-- Gordon
    edited 2011-06-17 14:30
    Thanks, pm sent!
  • Matt GillilandMatt Gilliland Posts: 1,406
    edited 2011-06-17 15:36
    it has evolved into THE consummate robot reference book, so grab yours now... Great work, Gordon!
    Got mine too! :-)

@erco!
    We finally found something we can agree on! Robot Builder Buddies unite! (plywood or otherwise)

My weekend is "booked" ;-)

-Matt
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2011-06-17 18:27
    @erco - Just got my wife to order me one for Father's Day too. Thanks for the tip pal! I am temped to get a version for my iPhone too.

@Gordon - My 3rd edition is one of my most used books (and most worn). Can't wait to see the new info. Thanks for getting so many of us started!
  • iDaveiDave Posts: 252
    edited 2011-06-17 19:01
    Unfortunately I just have a 2nd edition. Gordon, which edition do you think is the best upgrade from the previous edition?
    edited 2011-06-18 09:03
    There really isn't a best "upgrade path" to speak of. The fourth edition is significantly revised, and does not depend on any of the previous editions.

If you're a BS2 user there aren't any BS2 examples in the new edition because that coverage was expanded in the third edition. For the latest book I wanted to leave room for new content. You can get all the BS2 source code from the third edition here:

http://books.mcgraw-hill.com/authors/predkorbb3/

From a mechanical hardware standpoint, the 2nd and 3rd editions were pretty much the same. For the 4th edition just about everything is new.

-- Gordon
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2011-06-20 06:19
    My paper copy of the third edition is so dog eared that I contemplated buying a replacement on the Kindle. I guess I will wait until the fourth edition is available.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2011-06-20 08:17
    Q: Is the technical robot content actually enhanced when stored on a Kindle instead of mere paper (that's so 15th century)...?

It just seems that a book has higher MTBF than a Kindle. Yes, it may get dog-eared, but short of spontaneous combustion, it will be there and always "work". No dead batteries, no viruses, so scratched screen, infinite shock resistance, etc.
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2011-06-20 09:43
    Kindle content can be read on the PC, Android, iOS, or the Kindle. So while a Kindle might fail before a single book, a book in Kindle format has an infinite MTBF.

Now are ebooks better than paper books? They a generally cheaper, so over time you'll recoup your hardware costs. For text only straight read through, I'd say they are equal. For flipping through content ebooks are worse as page turn times are slower. Searching a well indexed ebook is much better than paper. Ebooks with many diagrams are not as good as paper, but quite usable.

As a PDF reader or email on the go, the Kindle is quite nice as well.
    edited 2011-07-08 17:50
    Hi Gordon,

While searching chapters & amazon, I have actually located three titles by you:

Robot Builder's Bonanza, 4th Edition <--- this one I am ordering this weekend, no stock locally :(

Robot Builder's Sourcebook: Over 2,500 Sources for Robot Parts <--- I am guessing this is like a "Yellow Pages" of suppliers... my question is how much of the info in this book is already in the Bonanza 4th ed book?

The Robot Builder's Bonanza: 99 Inexpensive Robotics Projects <--- I am guessing you have a new version in the works....

Thanks,

Bill
  • THAT guyTHAT guy Posts: 66
    edited 2011-07-08 19:17
    The Robot Builder's Bonanza: 99 Inexpensive Robotics Projects <--- I am guessing you have a new version in the works....

I'm pretty sure that book is the first edition of the series (the RBBFE being the new one).

By the way, great book, Gordon! Like the previous editions, it has been very helpful for me as I am a beginner in the field. I love the arduino section (brand new to the platform).

I can't wait for the fifth one!
    edited 2011-07-08 20:45
    While searching chapters & amazon, I have actually located three titles by you:

Robot Builder's Bonanza, 4th Edition <--- this one I am ordering this weekend, no stock locally :(

That's the new book. A lot of bookstores don't carry electronics titles, so it's not a surprise you can't find it. If enough people buy it online, it'll show up on Bookscan and then more bricks-and-mortar stores will carry it.
    Robot Builder's Sourcebook: Over 2,500 Sources for Robot Parts <--- I am guessing this is like a "Yellow Pages" of suppliers... my question is how much of the info in this book is already in the Bonanza 4th ed book?
    The Sourcebook, which is now almost 10 years old, is a source listing that helps people think of new ways to find and use things. It's not relevant to your needs, and is now fairly out of date.
    That could be the first (1987) edition or the second (2001) edition. Amazon always provides the publication date.

After having written some 60+ books over the years, RBB4E is the only one that's in print, current, and written by me. Some books, like the second edition of Electronics for Dummies, were written by other people. My name is on the book for contractual reasons. Unlike certain droids, RBB4E is the book that you are looking for...

-- Gordon
    edited 2011-07-09 08:17
    Hi Gordon,

Thanks, I suspected the '99' was not needed. I am now trying to source things like various 4-40 screws, standoffs, brackets etc., in fairly large quantity - which is why I considered the sourcebook... but at 10 years old, it is too outdated. Google here I come...

I'm ordering the 4th edition today!

Bill

p.s.

60+ books... impressive!

p.p.s.

I only realized yesterday that http://www.budgetrobotics.com/ was your site! I've ordered from you before, and I am about to put in another order.
    edited 2011-07-09 11:18
    Bill, Though the Sourcebook does include a rather large section on fastener sources, and most of those still exist, for quantity buys you're really best off either buying locally and picking up what you need. That's what I do, as it saves shipping, which for metal fasteners can add to the per-piece prices. My local source is Western Fastener in San Diego. They're not the cheapest, but they service well. You just have to call around, and it helps if you live near areas with a lot of industrial and defense contractor activity, like I do.

"Fairly large quantity" is always subjective. I usually buy 2,000 to 10,000 pieces at a time, and that's a small order for these guys.

If you ship to the EU remember that plated fasteners carry a ROHS compliancy. Ask if its trivalent plating. Quite a number of mail order fastener outfits are dumping their non-ROHS stock, and not telling anyone about it (in truth, for US sales it makes little difference).

For plastic standoffs cut out the middleman and try Volt Plastics or Microplastics. They'll send samples.

Small brackets are a toughie. Try a Keystone distributor. Mouser is one, and they do offer some quantity breaks, but I've always thought the price is still too high. If there's one specific size of bracket you need, in quantities of 25K or above, there's always Alibaba. Brush up on your Chinese. :lol:

Wait a minute...isn't this a thread about RBB?...

-- Gordon
  • Kenny GardnerKenny Gardner Posts: 169
    edited 2011-07-09 11:22
    Didn't Mike Predko write the 3rd Edition, with no input from Gordon other than using his name?

I bought the 3rd edition anyway, and Gordon, the new book is great.

Kenny
    edited 2011-07-09 11:36
    I suspected the '99' was not needed.

TAB Books in the 1980s era almost always used this kind of subtitle. An extraordinarily popular book in that same timeframe was Build Your Own IBM Compatible, with a subtitle of "and Save a Bundle." Did so well for them they created a "Save a Bundle" series. They still do it today, like with Bob Iannini's Electronic Gadgets for the Evil Genius (subtitle "28 Build-It-Yourself Projects").

They felt RBB is of a "classic" now, so they dropped the descriptive subtitle as they didn't think it was needed. I always kind of liked it, so from my urging they added a burst to the cover that touts more-or-less the same thing.

I didn't win all the arguments I put forth regarding the title, though. Since the start the book has been "The Robot Builder's Bonanza." Somehow by the third edition the "The" was dropped. At least they revised the cover from what they had, where the word "Bonanza" was about 2.5X the size of anything else. I said I expected to read about robots named Hoss and Little Joe.

-- Gordon
    edited 2011-07-09 11:44
    Thanks for the info :-)

I'll phone around. In the past I have not had much luck with local suppliers - their prices tend to be nuts.

Now back to RBB... I'll post my impression of it once snail mail delivers it from Chapters.
    Bill, Though the Sourcebook does include a rather large section on fastener sources, and most of those still exist, for quantity buys you're really best off either buying locally and picking up what you need. That's what I do, as it saves shipping, which for metal fasteners can add to the per-piece prices. My local source is Western Fastener in San Diego. They're not the cheapest, but they service well. You just have to call around, and it helps if you live near areas with a lot of industrial and defense contractor activity, like I do.

"Fairly large quantity" is always subjective. I usually buy 2,000 to 10,000 pieces at a time, and that's a small order for these guys.

If you ship to the EU remember that plated fasteners carry a ROHS compliancy. Ask if its trivalent plating. Quite a number of mail order fastener outfits are dumping their non-ROHS stock, and not telling anyone about it (in truth, for US sales it makes little difference).

For plastic standoffs cut out the middleman and try Volt Plastics or Microplastics. They'll send samples.

Small brackets are a toughie. Try a Keystone distributor. Mouser is one, and they do offer some quantity breaks, but I've always thought the price is still too high. If there's one specific size of bracket you need, in quantities of 25K or above, there's always Alibaba. Brush up on your Chinese. :lol:

Wait a minute...isn't this a thread about RBB?...

-- Gordon
    edited 2011-07-09 11:45
    Hmmm... perhaps your series of platforms ought to be called the Cartwrights?

I used to watch Bonanza too :)
    TAB Books in the 1980s era almost always used this kind of subtitle. An extraordinarily popular book in that same timeframe was Build Your Own IBM Compatible, with a subtitle of "and Save a Bundle." Did so well for them they created a "Save a Bundle" series. They still do it today, like with Bob Iannini's Electronic Gadgets for the Evil Genius (subtitle "28 Build-It-Yourself Projects").

They felt RBB is of a "classic" now, so they dropped the descriptive subtitle as they didn't think it was needed. I always kind of liked it, so from my urging they added a burst to the cover that touts more-or-less the same thing.

I didn't win all the arguments I put forth regarding the title, though. Since the start the book has been "The Robot Builder's Bonanza." Somehow by the third edition the "The" was dropped. At least they revised the cover from what they had, where the word "Bonanza" was about 2.5X the size of anything else. I said I expected to read about robots named Hoss and Little Joe.

-- Gordon
    edited 2011-07-09 11:52
    Didn't Mike Predko write the 3rd Edition, with no input from Gordon other than using his name?

I bought the 3rd edition anyway, and Gordon, the new book is great.

Yes and no. I provided Myke a laundry list of things that needed to be updated. He added some new material (lots more BS2 code), and left the construction projects and other chapters pretty much as-is. I felt by that time some of the construction projects were getting old, and I would have liked to see them updated.

The publisher didn't bother to send me page proofs for my comments, maybe knowing I would have objected that some of the material I wanted to see revised had not been. This wasn't Myke's doing, but the publisher's. I stayed miffed at them for years following this. In the end, we made up, and RBB4 is the result.

This isn't to say Myke didn't do a great job, because he did. It's a massive book, and he added many more much-needed microcontroller-based projects. He was able to revise the book during a time when I was busy doing consulting work in Hollywood, and had zero time for much of anything.

For the second edition of Electronics for Dummies, I specifically asked not to be involved, intending to eventually have my name removed from the book. For one thing (and it's the main thing) it'll allow me to write a completely new entry-level electronics book, this time in a style and format more to my personal liking.

-- Gordon
    edited 2011-07-15 10:57
    Just received my RBB 4th edition...

It is EXCELLENT. I highly recommend it.

The index is very well organized, and it covers pretty much everything you might want to know about building robots. Due to the breadth of coverage, it is a hefty book - and great value.
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2011-07-15 11:57
    Good enough for me.

I'm off to order a copy.

Duane
    edited 2011-07-15 17:34
    Worth waiting for: Amazon's price is now down to just $18.67, and you get free Super Saver shipping if your order totals $25!

http://www.amazon.com/Robot-Builders-Bonanza-Gordon-McComb/dp/0071750363
  • Matt GillilandMatt Gilliland Posts: 1,406
    edited 2011-07-16 08:34
    Way to go erco! You wait until the price drops down so low so that Mr. Mcgraw has no room for any profit for Mr. McComb's long "labor of love" for the likes of you.

nice. really nice.
    ;-)
    -Matt
  • HumanoidoHumanoido Posts: 5,770
    edited 2011-07-16 12:24
    Great job Gordon!

For those comparing, a book is higher resolution, easier on the eyes and doesn't need batteries.
    edited 2011-07-16 17:16
    @Matt: Actually I paid even less than that for my shiny new 4th edition!

But if it makes you feel better, I will sell you my well-worn 3rd edition for $40; then I'll send Gordon $20 and everyone will be happy!