Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Very basic Basic Stamp code to drive the RC Systems V-Stamp Voice Synth — Parallax Forums

Very basic Basic Stamp code to drive the RC Systems V-Stamp Voice Synth

xanatosxanatos Posts: 1,120
edited 2011-10-09 14:22 in BASIC Stamp
I've seen several requests on here for some Basic Stamp code to drive the V-Stamp voice synth from RC Systems - but I never saw any code posted, so here's the most minimal bare-bones code to get someone started with using the V-Stamp, which I love for it's versatility and quality of speech. Not cheap, but worth it if you have an application that really calls out for speech... $75.00 from http://www.rcsys.com/order.htm

Code attached is for a BS2SX (which is the only one I ever buy since I love those slots so much) but it will work on any BS2. Watch your baud con if you use it on another stamp, and your file extension.

Also attached a photo showing the way I use to plug the V-Stamp into my breadboard since it has non-standard pin row width.

Happy talking!

Dave
1024 x 768 - 120K

Comments

• xanatosxanatos Posts: 1,120
    edited 2011-05-03 11:34
    I've attached a more robust coding structure for the V-Stamp for anyone who wants to play with one. This code shows how to store many phrases in EEPROM and reference them from a single byte variable, which could be anything from program generated, to read in from a DIP switch, or SERIN'd from a 74HC165, or from another stamp... in any case, it allows speech access to the phrase library on demand. I'm adding these things up here because I've seen a call for Basic Stamp code that will make a V-Stamp talk... so here it is.

Also note the comment line in the initialization section - it contains references to how to change the voice parameters in the initialization routine.

This system will eventually be for a voice activated and voice-feedback home automation system, but for now, the phrases reveal me to be a trekkie geek... no apologies however!

I hope the code is useful to someone out there.

Dave

PS., Again, code written for BS2sx, so watch your Baud CON statement and file extensions if you use it on other chips.
  • FalconFalcon Posts: 191
    edited 2011-10-02 07:39
    Xanatos,
    I was impressed enough with your application of the V-Stamp that I bought one to use for my Home Monitor system. RC Systems owes you a big thanks.
    Right now I have it on a breadboard using your VTalker2 code as a first step but I’m not sure how to actually get it to speak. Should it speak with this code with no other input?
    I have it wired as follows:
    Pin
    2 to V-Stamp pin 10
    11 Speaker +
    12 Speaker –
    15 +5VDC (from BOE)
    16 +5VDC (from BOE)
    17 +5VDC (from BOE)
    18 +5VDC (from BOE)
    19 BS2px-pin 1
    20 BS2px-pin 0
    21 BS2px-pin 2
    22 +5VDC (from BOE)
    23 +5VDC (from BOE)
    24 GND (from BOE)

I have changed the Baud to 396 to accommodate the BS2px.

As written (with the FOR cmd = 20 TO 24 statement) shouldn’t the VS begin speaking Phrases 20 to 24 as soon as the code is loaded and the Initialization is completed? That does not happen in my case.
    I would like to load all of my phrases during initialization with the READ command as you have. I will then place code snippets throughout the rest of my code where necessary to speak the phrase. What is the minimum code that can be used at these various locations to have the VS speak? Is the Lookup command required if I reference a specific Phrase symbol?

Thanks,
    falcon
  • xanatosxanatos Posts: 1,120
    edited 2011-10-09 14:22
    I've had a few requests for advanced programming info on the V-Stamp with the BS2. The best option is the chipset manual for the V-Stamp... The V-Stamp chipset manual is available from RC Systems at http://www.rcsys.com/dnlds.htm#docs - the 8660 CHipset User's Manual has all the programming code to do some very sophisticated stuff with the V-Stamp. These things have turned out to be ideal replacements for the Emic modules I was originally using.

I have also attached my copy of the 8660 manual for convenience, but you should grab the one from rcsys.com to be sure you are getting the latest info.

Sorry for the delays, I've had more work and less time for my speech gen/recognition projects the past few months.

Dave