Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Programming woes with TAB sumobot — Parallax Forums

Programming woes with TAB sumobot

TazmanTazman Posts: 6
edited 2011-01-03 09:33 in Robotics
Hi all,

we recently received a second TAB sumobot and had great fun building it as a family. It is a great startup bot to build with 6 year olds. Though it is working fine with the supplied remote control and pre-programmed behaviors, we have had ZERO success trying to program the onboard BS2. We tried:
1. installing the supplied IDE in an old XP laptop and using the built-in serial port. We used a straight-through serial cable here.
2. using the most recent parallax IDE in a mac with a USB-to-serial adapter cable. We use this regularly to program a more advanced Sumovore with BS2 (from Solarbotics)
3. using the above USB-serial cable on a Netbook running Win7 and latest parallax IDE.
When I attempted to identify the onboard BS2, I get a YES for loopback and echo. But device type and version come out blank :-(

Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2010-12-27 11:43
    You have 2 identical Sumobots ? If one works and one doesn't, you may already have your answer. Aren't those the soldered-in component versions of the BS2?

I have some of the TAB "build your own robots" where there is an empty socket for a BS2-IC. The pre-programmed behaviors are in hardware in that robot, perhaps similar to yours. That is, the remote and behaviors may work even if the BS2 doesn't.
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2010-12-27 11:43
    Check power. Also try your cable on the other bs2s to make sure it works. Swap the bs2 to a working bot and see what you get there.
  • TazmanTazman Posts: 6
    edited 2010-12-27 13:35
    erco wrote: »
    You have 2 identical Sumobots ? If one works and one doesn't, you may already have your answer. Aren't those the soldered-in component versions of the BS2?

Sorry for not clarifying. I am not able to program either of them. We have had one for about three years and I never got around to programming it (or even trying). When we got the second one few months ago, I thought it might be worth it to try to program the bots and that's when I noticed that I am not able to program them.
  • TazmanTazman Posts: 6
    edited 2010-12-27 13:41
    Franklin wrote: »
    Check power. Also try your cable on the other bs2s to make sure it works. Swap the bs2 to a working bot and see what you get there.

The cables do work on the third sumobot we have. The third one has a removable BS2 module and it is a completely different beast (Sumovore by Solarbotics). The issues I am experiencing are with the two TAB sumobots. As mentioned in another reply above, the TAB sumobots have soldered-in BS2 chips and they are not removal.
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2010-12-28 11:02
    The TAB Sumbot has a PIC controlling the motors and built in behaviors. The Basic Stamp runs user programs and directs the PIC what to do. I would guess it is possible that the BS2 failed which the PIC still worked which would result in this sort of symptom.
    edited 2010-12-28 11:05
    Tazman wrote: »
    We tried:
    1. installing the supplied IDE in an old XP laptop and using the built-in serial port. We used a straight-through serial cable here.

Was that the original DOS PBasic editor you tried? That's almost as old as your Sumobot, it may work...
  • HumanoidoHumanoido Posts: 5,770
    edited 2010-12-31 00:34
    A BS2 on DOS? I never heard of that. You can try programming the BS2 to test it, even if it's soldered in. But... someone did a boo-boo on the second one. Good practice is to always use a socket with the BS2 module.
    edited 2010-12-31 09:02
    @Humanoido:

The year was 1995. The BS2 was new. The only option was DOS, Win95 was barely in its infancy. START IT UP!

I started programming on an old monochrome Compaq LTE286 laptop. AND LIKED IT FINE!
  • HumanoidoHumanoido Posts: 5,770
    edited 2011-01-01 08:05
    @Humanoido: The year was 1995. The BS2 was new. The only option was DOS, Win95 was barely in its infancy. START IT UP! I started programming on an old monochrome Compaq LTE286 laptop. AND LIKED IT FINE!
    I know the Stamp 1 was "stuck on DOS" for some time but didn't realize the BS2 was there also. Good to know history and that we've moved past DOS with all Stamp versions.
    edited 2011-01-01 08:44
    Ain't nuttin' wrong wit' DOS-based programs. DOS is more stable than many versions of Windows!
  • wjsteelewjsteele Posts: 697
    edited 2011-01-03 09:22
    DOS is more stable than many versions of Windows!

Yeah... but it's a pain to browse the web with it! :-) (Lynx anyone?)

Bill
    edited 2011-01-03 09:33
    Ain't it ironic that many movies still use a DOS-like green screen cursor to overlay incoming 300-baud text to give it a high-tech feeling to certain scenes?