Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BS-1 - PC Oscilloscope ? — Parallax Forums

BS-1 - PC Oscilloscope ?

arkturarktur Posts: 31
edited 2011-01-12 11:59 in BASIC Stamp
Who has made USB or COM1 oscilloscope on BS-1 (or BS-2)?
Inform by experience.

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-12-16 14:55
    The BS1 is too slow and has too few resources (memory mostly) to serve as an oscilloscope. The BS2 is faster and has more memory, but really is still too slow and too memory limited to work as an oscilloscope. Have a look at the StampPlot software for the BS2 as an example of a BS2 acting as a front end for a PC for displaying information. The Propeller can do it. Look at the PropScope which uses a Propeller. There's also some demo programs in the Object Exchange, one that displays the audio from the Demo Board's microphone on a TV or VGA screen.
  • arkturarktur Posts: 31
    edited 2010-12-16 15:08
    Mine familiar the man has hurried and has bought two BS-1 and one BS-2.
    And we now " break a head " - where to apply this treasure?
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-12-16 18:45
    That depends on your needs. I used a BS1 I had on hand to control a drain pump for a dehumidifier tank. A photoresistor on the "tank full" light on the front panel would be read by the BS1 which would turn on a power relay for 10 minutes that controlled power to the aquarium pump I used, enough to empty the tank.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2010-12-16 19:10
    Hmmm. A BS1 scope? I made a BS1 pseudo-camera at http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?126078-Poor-Man-s-BS1-Slow-Scan-Camera&highlight=slow+scan+camera . You could make some kind of similar debug screen output for a pseudo-scope application, but it would be a snapshot, not real time. And a pretty slow sample rate, too.
    edited 2010-12-18 06:40
  • HumanoidoHumanoido Posts: 5,770
    edited 2010-12-19 03:56
    I made a tiny BS2 oscilloscope but it requires some extra parts. I think it can be controlled with a BS1 in substitution for the BS2 and then put into an Altoids tin. When I get time, the project will be written up and posted.
  • electrosyselectrosys Posts: 212
    edited 2010-12-19 05:55
    @Humanoido

It's sounds like a very interesting project, I very much like to see your BS2 oscilloscope, when you have time and ready to post it.
    edited 2011-01-08 15:35
    nv8.pdfThe Version N2 BS-1, LCD-2x16, Nikopol, UKRAINE.docDECODER.bs1Parallel_LCD-NIKOPOL-ENCODER.bs1
    Mike Green wrote: »
    That depends on your needs. I used a BS1 I had on hand to control a drain pump for a dehumidifier tank. A photoresistor on the "tank full" light on the front panel would be read by the BS1 which would turn on a power relay for 10 minutes that controlled power to the aquarium pump I used, enough to empty the tank.

In the description BS-1 there is an example to use LCD and Encoder.
    And can BS-1 work in such circuit?
    If "YES" - help to modify the program.
    edited 2011-01-10 01:42
    electrosys wrote: »
    @Humanoido It's sounds like a very interesting project, I very much like to see your BS2 oscilloscope, when you have time and ready to post it.
    Thanks Electrosys, I actually built most of the tiny oscilloscope on one of the Radio Shack circuit boards with hole patterns that match a solderless breadboard where it was first built and tested. With a smaller pcb it could probably fit an Altoids tin, but with the added BS2 board it takes up a little more space. It's mainly for my amusement. I don't know if it would have any practical purposes for your use, as the screen is so tiny so resolution is limited. If memory serves me, it's near an inch vertical height on the Y-Axis because it's made up of a tiny diode array.

It does a good job of showing sine and square waves and changing wave forms - with some patience, you could measure voltage (perhaps counting dots with a magnifying glass) - it has some features like trigger, etc. and the resolution is determined by the display array. The BS2 is the controlling feature of the oscilloscope. High speed sampling is handled by an external IC which relieves the Stamp. Seeing it work is amazing, I think. A movie of it working under the microscope would be really cool! With some reminders, I could revisit this project after the Brain Blob is completed.
    edited 2011-01-10 02:29
    When I opened this theme and set this question, I thought of construction of an external box for USB or COM1 or LPT ports (oscilloscope on BS-1 or BS-2) for PC (Descktop or Laptor) under Windows - for Parallax USB Oscilloscope Software.
  • APSpijkermanAPSpijkerman Posts: 32
    edited 2011-01-11 13:06
    Hi,

I tried to make a little scope with a basic stamp 2 and a javelin stamp, it kind of works but isn't to fast.
    It could be a little faster with an AD-converter with a parallel bus.
    Find here a link to the project: http://apsdev.com/stampscope/home.html
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2011-01-11 16:27
    (Great headers/leads, Spijkerman. Much as I love my Molex C-Grid, I make a lot of those, too - dremel/file some vectorboard; works good, lasts a long time. It's craft and resourcefulness.)
    edited 2011-01-12 08:26
    Hi, I tried to make a little scope with a basic stamp 2 and a javelin stamp, it kind of works but isn't to fast. It could be a little faster with an AD-converter with a parallel bus. Find here a link to the project: http://apsdev.com/stampscope/home.html
    APSijkerman, that's a very cool project! Only two support chips, you did a lot better than me!
    edited 2011-01-12 08:30
    arktur wrote: »
    When I opened this theme and set this question, I thought of construction of an external box for USB or COM1 or LPT ports (oscilloscope on BS-1 or BS-2) for PC (Descktop or Laptor) under Windows - for Parallax USB Oscilloscope Software.
    It sounds like APSijkerman's project. My project does not use the PC screen or USB. It has its own tiny embedded screen soldered on the board, so you can run it off a 9-volt battery as a portable device.
    edited 2011-01-12 11:59
    Yes, I have understood.
    Your project is interesting. The main advantage of your project - mobility.
    But me the variant with use of the monitor PC interested.
    Is very grateful for both your projects.