Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Robot Base Kit - eDrawings and sample images — Parallax Forums

Robot Base Kit - eDrawings and sample images

Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
edited 2011-01-18 18:56 in Robotics
Hello,

You may recall a thread I posted over a year ago about the use of a CNC router inside of Parallax to cut wood material and collect the dust from the machining process. Although we're not cutting any plywood materials in the office, we've still designed a very functional enclosure and dust collection system around the Haas SR-100.

Now we're set up to cut all kinds of plastic material on the Haas CNC Router, such as solar panels kits, solar add-ons for the Boe-Bot, and of course the Robot Base Kit.

We will soon be switching the Robot Base Kit from 1/2" Apple Ply to 3/8" black HDPE. This is a far more sleek design and offers the same easy workability as a quality plywood.

If you have the plywood kit but prefer the black HDPE, I'll either provide you with the black HDPE version or provide it at a discount.

Some pictures are shown below, or if you prefer the eDrawing I've attached that as well.

Ken Gracey
Parallax Inc.

attachment.php?attachmentid=75296&d=1289852586

attachment.php?attachmentid=75297&d=1289852586

attachment.php?attachmentid=75298&d=1289852586
600 x 353 - 36K
600 x 353 - 36K
600 x 353 - 28K

Comments

• RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2010-11-15 12:28
    Hello Ken,

I had recently purchased a couple extra of the plywood bases but these new ones out of black HDPE would probably work out much better for the robot. How much are the news ones going to cost?

Robert
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2010-11-15 12:28
    And the eDrawing is attached to this post (had to increase the zip file size attachment limitation in the Admin panel to 7 MB).

Ken Gracey
    edited 2010-11-15 12:30
    Hello Ken,

I had recently purchased a couple extra of the plywood bases but these new ones out of black HDPE would probably work out much better for the robot. How much are the news ones going to cost?

Robert

Hey Robert, we're shooting for the same retail price. I haven't seen the actual costs of production yet, but we'll do our best to keep these reasonably-priced.

Ken Gracey
  • Roy ElthamRoy Eltham Posts: 2,996
    edited 2010-11-15 14:39
    That looks awesome! I'm definitely going to switch up my Plywood base for one of these when they are available!

Thanks Ken!
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2010-11-15 14:53
    Black HDPE? Don't do it, Rob/Roy! Don't sell out! Don't be seduced by the Dark Side! Don't unlearn what you have learned! You guys and I are Plywood Robot Brothers for life! Solidarity on this one! Stay the course! Thousand points of light! Sawdust & splinters 4 ever!

You can't glue to HDPE! Black material isn't virgin, it's cheap regrind with lots of impurities! Bad mojo! Bad for your health! Makes your hair fall out in clumps!
    edited 2010-11-15 15:05
    erco wrote: »
    Black HDPE? Don't do it, Rob/Roy! Don't sell out! Don't be seduced by the Dark Side! Don't unlearn what you have learned! You guys and I are Plywood Robot Brothers for life! Solidarity on this one! Stay the course! Thousand points of light! Sawdust & splinters 4 ever!

You can't glue to HDPE! Black material isn't virgin, it's cheap regrind with lots of impurities! Bad mojo! Bad for your health! Makes your hair fall out in clumps!

But it matches my robot.....
    edited 2010-11-15 15:40

Erco, Poor Cousin's manufacturing facility is your garage - open it up and blow the 10-micron dust right out in the 'hood! One aspect of the Dark Side is that it's also the Clean Side - aside from a few smells here and there the dust is mostly chips that are pleasantly collected.

One of the uses of HDPE is for plastic lumber. Just think of it as man-made lumber [with pigment] and you'll be more accepting of the whole idea. Or, how about those water bottles on your bicycle? Are they some kind of HDPE? Try making those out of plywood.

Poor Cousin, evolution comes naturally and you can't stop it. You and I need to put away our bell bottom pants sooner or later.
  • Matt GillilandMatt Gilliland Posts: 1,406
    edited 2010-11-15 16:19
    Ahhh...the Force is strong in you, young Erco...but your true feelings betray you...

... I do not sense much "wood" in your Avatar...

-Matt
    edited 2010-11-15 17:34
    Good call, my young Padawans!
    edited 2010-11-29 10:53
    I feel a strong disturbance in the Force...come on over to the Dark Side...

(and a little birdie told me that, for all you purists out there (Erco!) - white may be available too)...

Behold! - The Black HDPE Robot Base...

(available Real Soon Now)

attachment.php?attachmentid=75804&stc=1&d=1291054553

attachment.php?attachmentid=75805&stc=1&d=1291054553
    1600 x 1200 - 206K
    1600 x 1200 - 177K
    edited 2010-11-29 11:05
    Ok, after seeing this I definitely need to get one of these to try out! I currently have a couple extra wood bases that I bought but would like to get one of the new black plastic ones to use in place of one of those to test. Are these available now?? I need to order some propeller USB boards soon and would like to get everything at once.

Robert
    edited 2010-11-29 13:47
    Ok, after seeing this I definitely need to get one of these to try out! I currently have a couple extra wood bases that I bought but would like to get one of the new black plastic ones to use in place of one of those to test. Are these available now?? I need to order some propeller USB boards soon and would like to get everything at once.

Robert

Good afternoon Robert,

Available pretty quickly at this point. The CNC operator (AKA Scott) is trying to find a tool that can be used to automate the brushed finish. Once he's got that under control to the satisfaction of the internal Product Owner (Matt) we'll do a production run and replace all existing wooden bases in stock with the black HDPE.

If I had to guess, we can get one or two of these in your hands within a week.

Ken Gracey
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2010-11-29 15:58
    I love it! This was sort of what I had in mind when I wanted to use Corian counter top material.

Can we buy just the HDPE Base and Battery holder? I have all the fastners and want to keep my beautiful plywood too.

And I honestly need to order something anyway so I didn't have to pay a shipping charge on just my 99 cent Propeller Christmas Tree Ornament! :lol:
    edited 2010-11-29 16:17
    FYI, I'm biting my tongue HARD to keep my "plastic cutting board on wheels" comments to myself. Tasting blood now...

Oh, I must admit, it does look sharp, and per the responses here, you'll sell plenty.

I'm just a cranky old guy who's mired in my plywood & bandsaw ways. Plus, I enjoy the thrill of the hunt at Home Despot: trying to find a piece of plywood that isn't warped too badly.

So whatever you do, Bre'r Ken, don't even THINK about sending me one of these for Christmas with motors, wheels, and controllers. I couldn't take that!
    edited 2010-11-29 16:52
    FYI, I'm biting my tongue HARD to keep my "plastic cutting board on wheels" comments to myself. Tasting blood now...

Oh, I must admit, it does look sharp, and per the responses here, you'll sell plenty.

I'm just a cranky old guy who's mired in my plywood & bandsaw ways. Plus, I enjoy the thrill of the hunt at Home Despot: trying to find a piece of plywood that isn't warped too badly.

So whatever you do, Bre'r Ken, don't even THINK about sending me one of these for Christmas with motors, wheels, and controllers. I couldn't take that!

erco, Matt tells me that the white version is approved for food use. Maybe I could send you one with a sizzling Christmas Steak, or a fruitcake and a knife. Ever had a real fortified, pressed-in-a-tin fruitcake?
    edited 2010-11-29 17:27
    My sweet mother is surely the last of her generation to make real Christmas fruitcakes from scratch... quite delicious, made with experience, love, and plenty of brandy!

As for what passes for commercial fruitcakes these days, they are the ultimate in recycling and regifting. No one ever eats them or even opens them, they just get put into the pile of emergency gifts, next to the bulk bag o' tube socks and all-in-one tools.
    edited 2010-11-30 10:00
    HDPE White ("Natural") brings Balance to the Force...

attachment.php?attachmentid=75837&stc=1&d=1291138204

Not only Balance, but you could also carve a Turkey on it !

attachment.php?attachmentid=75839&stc=1&d=1291138812
    1600 x 1200 - 105K
    1600 x 1200 - 137K
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2010-11-30 14:23
    Sing in your best Stevie Wonder and Paul McCartney voice...
    "Ebony and Ivory, live together in perfect harmony..."
    edited 2010-12-03 07:34
    I expect that everyone at Parallax has been busy battling the invading horde of new S2 robots that are trying to take over the world. Once those critters are subdued will there be any more progress on the black plastic base for the large wheel kit? I'd really like to try and get one of these new bases well before Christmas so I can do some robot building over the holidays. I'm out of Propeller USB Protoboards and was holding off on ordering those so I can get everything at once.

Robert
    edited 2010-12-03 20:30
    @Robert, I can make sure your request is handled even if the inventory is not formally received into stock and marketed on the web site.

Send me an e-mail and I'll get you what you need ASAP.

I agree about having a great project to do over Christmas break. I'm planning ahead as well.

Thanks, Ken Gracey
    edited 2010-12-03 21:15
    Hi all...
    Sorry for the delay - I had to figure out how to get big pictures uploaded to the new Forums.

We've been working on the production methods of the Base Plates and I think we're there. One of the biggest challenges has been to get a consistent finish on both the top and bottom of the HDPE plates. The HDPE comes from the factory with blemishes, dings, and scratches which we need to minimize without removing too much material (like surfacing the entire surfaces with a large end-mill).

So we decided on a "brushed" finish that you can see below. The brushing gives the entire surface a texture that I call "consistent inconsistencies" - that is to say the whole thing is lightly *scratched*, giving it a slightly matte finish that minimizes the incoming defects, yet maintains full dimemsion. This results in a thicker platform - stronger - and less expensive blank, which means we can keep the cost down too.
    P1020211.jpg

We're in the middle of the first (limited) production run, and we should have the necessary hardware in by Tuesday, Dec. 7th.
    P1020214.jpg

What do you all think?
    -Matt
    1024 x 768 - 69K
    1024 x 768 - 73K
    edited 2010-12-03 21:19
    That looks cool to me. Can't wait to order one. :)
  • Bill ChennaultBill Chennault Posts: 1,198
    edited 2010-12-04 06:49
    Ken and All--

Wow! Even I, the ultimate RYOR (roll your own robot) guy, think that looks good! All it needs is a Parallax WiFi module! (Ok. Excuuuuse me! :))

--Bill
    edited 2010-12-08 14:07
    We thought that the battery shelf needed a little face-lift too.

It's laser-cut 1/4" thick transparent black acrylic. We've added some pre-drilled holes for mounting SLA batteries, as well as many of our standard 3"x4" pcb's.

The SLA that we're using is rated @ 12vdc @ 7.5ah.

The closely spaced groups of holes act as an "adjustable mounting system" for some slight dimensional variations between different brands of batteries.

P1020230.jpg

The screw heads you see, go into 1/2" tall threaded stand-offs which hold the battery in place (visible below). The view below is "robot top-side up"...

P1020226.jpg

and this is bottom side up.

P1020229.jpg

The hardware is in, and we're trying to get some *early units* out the door in the next day or two.

Our *cracker-jack* machinest Scott came up with a way to improve the brushed finished even more than what the earlier pictures (above) reveal. -Matt
    1024 x 768 - 94K
    1024 x 768 - 65K
    1024 x 768 - 94K
    edited 2010-12-08 18:15
    I like the changes to hold the battery in place. I am using a large zip tie to hole my battery in place on the wood version, and it has to be cut out and replaced whenever I change batteries out.

Is this in the store now so I can order one?
    edited 2010-12-10 07:57
    Hi Roy - (and everybody else using one of the "Robot Bases") -

What size battery are you'all using?, and are you mounting it on the "battery shelf", and if so, how?
    edited 2010-12-10 08:10
    Hello Matt,

I use two 12V 7ah batterys mounted on the base. They are sideways with the terminals sticking out toward the motors. It's a tight fit but I can get both in there for twice the capacity. They are offset toward the rear a little bit to favor the rear castor being on the ground. After all, the wheel kit / base are heavy duty and can carry a lot. Why skimp on the battery and just use one. It really isn't that much more weight so go for it. Be bold and let it carry some more fuel for the motors and Propeller brain!

Since I'm still expanding my robot (moving to multiple Propellers and more sensors) I may still add another battery or two in order to ensure it has a nice heathly power source before it needs to feed again. Besides the extra weight in the base helps ensure my 5' tall beast stays upright and won't decide to topple over.

Robert
    edited 2010-12-10 08:22
    I should also mention that instead of using standoff's to keep the battery from sliding around I used some spare 1" aluminum angle I had lying around. A couple small lengths (one in front and one on the back) keeps the batteries from moving. I don't have to worry about sideways motion since the motors keep them in place.

Robert
    edited 2010-12-10 08:52
    wood bot battery mount.jpg

Click to see larger image.

That's my battery setup for the wood version. I have a separate small 7.2v R/C type battery that just "sits" on the top surface to power my robot controller board.
    1024 x 768 - 100K
    edited 2010-12-21 15:37
    Ken sent me one of these, and I switched over all my parts from the wood version to this one. I have to say I found it a little nicer to work with than the plywood version because when I was drilling the extra holes I needed for mounting the HB-25s, the power terminal block, and the controller board it was much cleaner. With the plywood version, even being careful I always ended up with the holes not being clean and having little chips of wood breaking off.

Anyway, here's a couple photos of mine:
    attachment.php?attachmentid=76535&d=1292974456

attachment.php?attachmentid=76534&d=1292974452
    1024 x 768 - 92K
    1024 x 768 - 99K