Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller II update - BLOG - Page 29 — Parallax Forums

Propeller II update - BLOG

Comments

• CircuitsoftCircuitsoft Posts: 1,166
    edited 2012-02-16 01:00
    Well, the point here is to make the technology secure enough that attacking in meatspace is the easier option.
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    edited 2012-02-16 01:18
    Cluso,
    I fail to see how a small open decryption code downloaded with keys is
    very secure.

Think of it like this. You add a checksum to the code you are going to
    download. Let's assume we are not encrypting anything yet. On download the
    loader verifies the checksum and rejects any mismatch. So if anyone gets hold
    of your binary, from EEPROM or elsewhere and changes the content the checksum
    will fail and it won't load.

Of course with a simple checksum the attacker probably knows how it is
    calculated and where it is in the binary so they can trivially calculate a new
    checksum for their modified binary and bingo it runs.

But what if the checksum was calculated over your binary and some "secret
    stuff". The secret stuff being on your PC when you create the binary and in the
    Props fuses when it downloads. Now if the attacker modifies the binary the
    checksum will need changing but they don't know the secret stuff so they can't
    create a valid checksum.

Now we have authentication. Add to the that the fact that the checksum
    algorithm is not just a simple addition of bytes or CRC but some clever
    algorithm that makes reverse engineering the checksum from the binary
    "impossibly" hard. SHA 2 is under discussion here.
    Surely, all I have to do is replace the open decryption routine
    with a simple routine to dump the props key and I have broken it.

No, as you see from the above argument, if the attacker tweaks the open
    decryption routine the authentication will fail and it won't load and the keys
    cannot be dumped. Of course if the user puts a broken decryptor in there that
    dumps keys then he has screwed himself.

For me, the decryption code must not be downloadable, but must execute from
    within the chip.

By the above argument this is not necessary.

The bigger the minimum code is the slower brute force attacks can be

By "code" do you mean the binary code or the cipher keys. Bigger keys are
    better of course.
    Out-of-order and overlapped just adds to the complexity to attack.

I don't think so. The method of shulffing or overlapping should be part of the
    encryption algorithm, and we want to use a known respected algorithm. Otherwise
    it is just something you have dreamed up to make things more obscure with no
    rational behind it.

If and when some particular code is broken, then the maker just has to use a new
    key with newly encrypted code. It does not translate that once a particular code
    is broken, all codes are broken.

Never mind an attacker getting your key, but if the cypher implementation in
    EEPROM broken it is broken and a way is found around it then it is broken for
    everyone everywhere forever...

Now here is the key point, if I understand correctly, the authentication via
    SHA2 is estimated to be unbreakable. More so than the encryption algorithms. So
    it better to authenticate and down load the encryption algorithm which can be
    swapped for a new one when it is brought down.

Do I understand correctly?
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2012-02-16 01:53
    Heater. wrote: »
    Cluso,

Think of it like this. You add a checksum to the code you are going to
    download. Let's assume we are not encrypting anything yet. On download the
    loader verifies the checksum and rejects any mismatch. So if anyone gets hold
    of your binary, from EEPROM or elsewhere and changes the content the checksum
    will fail and it won't load.

But if the code is short, it will be easier to brute-force attack it. The longer the code, the longer it takes to decrypt and hence the longer it takes someone to try each brute force attack. The longer the code, the more varied the instructions can be, also meaning the more obscure the code can be. Remember, it is not text.
    Of course with a simple checksum the attacker probably knows how it is
    calculated and where it is in the binary so they can trivially calculate a new
    checksum for their modified binary and bingo it runs.

But what if the checksum was calculated over your binary and some "secret
    stuff". The secret stuff being on your PC when you create the binary and in the
    Props fuses when it downloads. Now if the attacker modifies the binary the
    checksum will need changing but they don't know the secret stuff so they can't
    create a valid checksum.

Now we have authentication. Add to the that the fact that the checksum
    algorithm is not just a simple addition of bytes or CRC but some clever
    algorithm that makes reverse engineering the checksum from the binary
    "impossibly" hard. SHA 2 is under discussion here.
    But here the cracker only has to play with a few bytes or longs for a brute force attack.
    No, as you see from the above argument, if the attacker tweaks the open
    decryption routine the authentication will fail and it won't load and the keys
    cannot be dumped. Of course if the user puts a broken decryptor in there that
    dumps keys then he has screwed himself.

By the above argument this is not necessary.

By "code" do you mean the binary code or the cipher keys. Bigger keys are
    better of course.
    [/code]Agreed
    [code]
    I don't think so. The method of shulffing or overlapping should be part of the
    encryption algorithm, and we want to use a known respected algorithm. Otherwise
    it is just something you have dreamed up to make things more obscure with no
    rational behind it.
    The shuffling and overlapping would be in addition (and optional) to a secure algorithm and could be used to insert unused code which would make any statistical analysis fail.
    Never mind an attacker getting your key, but if the cypher implementation in
    EEPROM broken it is broken and a way is found around it then it is broken for
    everyone everywhere forever...
    This is a different argument. I do understand that a secure algorithm is required. And if there is a flaw, the whole method could be compromised. But, provided the algorithm is secure, breaking one suppliers key will not result in breaking the next suppliers key.
    Surely, if you have an open decryption code with a secure calculated checksum, that checksum can be broken quite simply. Simply put, you would run the plain code through an encrypter (on the pc) with each of the 2^64 keys to find the one(s) that yield the supplied checksum. Voila, key broken.

What am I missing???
  • pedwardpedward Posts: 1,642
    edited 2012-02-16 01:59
    Heater. wrote: »

Do I understand correctly?

Yes. A hash cannot be compromised to reveal the original key, you can only find a collision or failure in the algorithm. Assuming the algorithm is good, that means you have 2^128 tests that have to be performed to find the key that matches the hash.

To make it very clear, the hash is used like this:

[binary Prop 2 opcodes] + [128 bit secret key] = 16,000 bits of "message" to be hashed

Salt is a method that's been used to obscure common plaintexts for a long time. Unix used DES and a salt to encrypt your password.

Here is an excerpt from the crypt man page:
    crypt() is the password encryption function. It is based on the Data Encryption Standard algorithm with variations intended (among other things) to discourage use
    of hardware implementations of a key search.

key is a user's typed password.

salt is a two-character string chosen from the set [a–zA–Z0–9./]. This string is used to perturb the algorithm in one of 4096 different ways.

By taking the lowest 7 bits of each of the first eight characters of the key, a 56-bit key is obtained. This 56-bit key is used to encrypt repeatedly a constant
    string (usually a string consisting of all zeros). The returned value points to the encrypted password, a series of 13 printable ASCII characters (the first two
    characters represent the salt itself). The return value points to static data whose content is overwritten by each call.

Warning: The key space consists of 2**56 equal 7.2e16 possible values. Exhaustive searches of this key space are possible using massively parallel computers.
    Software, such as crack(1), is available which will search the portion of this key space that is generally used by humans for passwords. Hence, password selection
    should, at minimum, avoid common words and names. The use of a passwd(1) program that checks for crackable passwords during the selection process is recommended.

The DES algorithm itself has a few quirks which make the use of the crypt() interface a very poor choice for anything other than password authentication. If you
    are planning on using the crypt() interface for a cryptography project, don't do it: get a good book on encryption and one of the widely available DES libraries.

So, you take a plaintext, in this case it's the bootloader opcodes that will be the same across a large population of devices. Next you append the 128bit key to these 496 longs to get exactly 500 longs of data to send through the hash function.

The hash function generates a hash signature that has 2^256 possible values, predicated on the theory that no 2 input messages will generate the same hash. SHA-256 is capable of hashing messages up to 2^64 - 1 bits in length. A single bit change in the message results in a completely different hash, and sequential changes do not result in sequential hashes.

I surveyed several block ciphers for applicability to the Prop 2. My criteria was to eliminate any ciphers that were known to be weak or theoretically weak based on cryptanalysis. I also constrained the list to ciphers that were in widespread use. In addition, the ciphers had to be open and not encumbered by patents, royalties, or corporate politics. The ciphers also had to offer 128 bit keys, since the amount of fuses in the Prop 2 is limited.

The ciphers that were considered were Blowfish, CAST5 and AES-128. Blowfish, DES, and 3DES are implemented in SSH as stream ciphers. OpenSSL implements all of the candidates, and GPG implements each.

Blowfish requires 4K for S-boxes, which makes it uneconomical to use.
    CAST5 is a similar to Blowfish and requires large S-boxes.
    AES-128 only requires 256 bytes for the decryption S-boxes, has a 128 bit key, and processes blocks 128bits at a time.

AES-128 leads other algorithms because a) it's an open standard b) it's withstood a lot of professional scrutiny c) it's well understood d) it's had 10+ years as the preferred DOD algorithm e) it's easily implementable in the space constraints

SHA-256 and AES-128 are recommended as a pair by the NSA for the minimum level of security. They have approved these for Secret level information and they are projected to have a 20 year lifespan for encrypted data. If you go to SHA-512 and AES-256, those are classified as the strongest available algorithms and have a 50 year data integrity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Key_stretching

With that said, the current Prop 2 architecture has limitations that would be difficult to overcome, to implement SHA-512, and AES-256 wouldn't be very useful without a 256 bit key, or a key stretching algorithm.

I would bet on the Prop 3 being 64 bit and having more COG ram, which would easily permit a 50 year data security model. But, the proposed algorithms are more than sufficient to protect code in the Prop 2.
  • pedwardpedward Posts: 1,642
    edited 2012-02-16 02:04
    Cluso99 wrote: »

What am I missing???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brute-force_attack

I think you may misunderstand the notion of a brute force attack. To brute force the SHA-256 hash, you have to run 2^128 trials to find a secret key that, when combined with the bootloader, results in the same hash signature. Since the secret key is 128 bits, you have to try all the permutations of a 128 bit number until you find one that matches the hash.

Also consider, the hash is 2^256, and the longest message it can process is 2^64-1 bits.
    edited 2012-02-16 02:37
    In case anyone is counting, 2^64 bits is 2 exbibytes (2048 pebibytes or 2,097,152 tebibytes)
    edited 2012-02-16 02:54
    Yes but how many bytes is it?:)

If half the worlds population each had a PC with 4GBytes of RAM it would be about that much.
    edited 2012-02-16 03:30
    Just a comment from left field. There are export restrictions for devices implementing encryption algorithms.

I would not like to see the prop2 on the export restricted list.
    edited 2012-02-16 03:41
    Most Pre-1996 US export restrictions have been severely relaxed. Import restrictions in other countries are more of an issue now.

Either way, if the chip only did code verification in a manner that allowed secure cryptography of the rest of program storage, then it would be up to users, but Parallax could still provide standard/sample implementations on a country-by-country basis.
    edited 2012-02-16 04:12
    Ok.I use a 2^256 algorithm. I am only decrypting the 500 byte block.

So, for a brute force attack, I have to try 2^256 combinations to find the key (the fuses). Assume I use a pc capable of processing 1,000 blocks of the 500 byte blocks per second. Any slower and the prop would take too long anyway.

So, I can check 1,000 combinations per second ~2^10. Therefore, per day this is 60*60*(3*8) seconds = ~80,000 = ~2^16. Therefore we can test 2^26 combinations per day.

So, by brute force I will have tested every combination in 10 days.

Have I made an error somewhere???
    edited 2012-02-16 04:16
    2^256/2^26 = 2^(256-26) = 1725436586697640946858688965569256363112777243042596638790631055949824 days = 4727223525199016292763531412518510583870622583678346955590770016300 years = ~363632578861462791751040877886039275682355583359872842737 * the time since the big bang
  • ericballericball Posts: 774
    edited 2012-02-16 04:17
    One problem with the authentication-only idea is customers would expect (nay, require) Parallax to provide a reference implementation of the encryption function. So going that route doesn't relieve Parallax from any effort or risk. Having the encryption routine offchip also increases the BoM to the additional storage space and increases the boot time. One other advantage of putting the encryption in ROM is it might be possible to expose it to customer code as a kind of library function which customers could then use to encrypt code & data beyond the initial load.
    edited 2012-02-16 04:30
    Since Flash is only really available in power-of-two sizes, having the encryption code off-chip isn't likely to increase the BOM cost at all, but it has significant advantages to continuing security in that algorithms can be replaced by the original producer, even without changing fuses, that algorithms and implementations can be chosen with various speed/security tradeoffs, and that the code security can be provided by a third party.
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2012-02-16 04:44
    pedward wrote: »
    To brute force the SHA-256 hash, you have to run 2^128 trials to find a secret key that, when combined with the bootloader, results in the same hash signature. Since the secret key is 128 bits, you have to try all the permutations of a 128 bit number until you find one that matches the hash.

Just to be clear, the hacker would only have to run 2^128 trials to be guaranteed to find the key. I think on average it would half that number to find it (2^127 is still a huge number), but he might get lucky and find it right away.

Bean
    edited 2012-02-16 04:50
    [cluso]
    So, I can check 1,000 combinations per second ~2^10. Therefore, per day this is
    60*60*(3*8) seconds = ~80,000 = ~2^16. Therefore we can test 2^26 combinations
    per day.

So, by brute force I will have tested every combination in 10 days.

Have I made an error somewhere???
    [/quote]

Yes.

You can do 2^26 tries per day and you need to get through 2^256.

When dividing these numbers you subtract the exponents.
    2^256 / 2^26 = 2^(256 - 26) = 2^230

You will need 2^230 days !!!

Eric,
    I would not worry about the storage space increase in boot time due to the size of the included decryption algorithm some of them are quite small.
  • __red____red__ Posts: 470
    edited 2012-02-16 05:03
    pedward wrote: »
    If you use a key division system where part of the 128 bit key is dedicated to a family, model, and stepping (like Intel chips), you have a unique key for each subset of device you make and not all the devices are broken.

Except now you introduce three problems:
    1. Your customer now has to have a different signed binary per revision of ic.
    2. The cost involved in changing the die per run.
    3. You actually reduced the entropy of the system by making a proportion of the keyspace predictable.
    edited 2012-02-16 05:12
    Ring 0 code is ROM code and has supreme access to all chip resources, including reading the secret key. Once the Ring 1 code is authenticated, access to the secret key fuse bits is blocked.

So, does do the read-only key fuses contain a hash for authentication or a secret key?
    Ring 1 code has a copy of the secret key in memory, this means any Ring 1 bootloader must be a secure implementation; the reference implementation would be provided by Parallax and be clear and open. Ring 1 code must dispose of the secret key before executing Ring 2 code.

I realize people might get squeamish when they hear "Ring 1 code has the key", but that is necessary and accepted. Ring 1 code is written to be as bug free and secure as possible, if a user decides to implement their own Ring 1 code, they are on the hook for ensuring it is secure. RING 1 CODE MUST DISPOSE OF THE KEY!

So, since you explicitly say that the user can write their own, I will. Mine will write the key out to the serial port.

But wait...
    Your decryption code to dump the keys wouldn't pass verification, though.

It wouldn't have to. I run it in an emulator which ignores the code signing.
    edited 2012-02-16 05:28
    The emulator doesn't have access to the fuse bits.
    edited 2012-02-16 05:34
    The emulator doesn't have access to the fuse bits.

Sure, so where in your scenario does the key live?

You already used the fuse bits for your authenticating digest...
  • cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    edited 2012-02-16 06:47
    I think the SHA-256/AES-128 combo that pedward is talking about is the best approach.

Beau has found some room to add more fuse bits. Yesterday, he thought we could get over 160 bits into the chip. So, this will afford a 128-bit key, plus extra bits for the user to employ however he wants.

Here's how I understand it would all work:

1) On reset, the ROM code loads all the fuse bits into cog RAM, then trips the circuit to make them unreadable until the next reset.
    2) If fuse bits indicate the chip is set for authentication mode:
    a) A PASM booter is read from external EEPROM longs $000..$1F7 into hub RAM.
    b) The booter is salted with the secret 128-bit key (from fuse bits) and then hashed with SHA-256.
    c) The resulting hash is compared to external EEPROM longs $1F8..$1FF.
    d) If the hash matches, the secret 128-bit key is put into hub RAM and cog0 is relaunched with the now-authenticated PASM booter code.
    e) The authenticated booter, using the secret key conveyed in hub RAM, can now read and decrypt the rest of the EEPROM into RAM.
    f) After destroying any copies of the key in hub RAM, the booter cog relaunches itself with final user code.
    g) The user code now runs, having been decrypted from EEPROM with no trace of the process that loaded it.

Does this sound right?

Parallax can provide an implementation of AES-128 which can automatically (through the tools) be implanted into your download to facilitate code security. The user could work some other scheme if he chose to, while only conforming to the authentication protocol (assuming the fuse bits dictated that authentication mode was set, otherwise no authentication and key passing occurs).

How does this sound?
    edited 2012-02-16 06:54
    For the most part, that sounds good to me. Any way it could be expanded to 256 bits, though? That would allow 128 bits for salt for the SHA-256 verification, and 128 bits for an AES key.

One other feature that may, or may not, be used would be the ability of the early bootloader to set a mask on the I/O pins that can set an I/O pin high or low and prevent further changes after it's been booted. That way, someone could provide a bootloader to allow their hardware to accept user-modified code, but set a flag (ex. to light a red LED?) to make it harder to pass off a device with user code as authentic/original.
    edited 2012-02-16 07:10
    Any way it could be expanded to 256 bits, though? That would allow 128 bits for salt for the SHA-256 verification, and 128 bits for an AES key.

I don't think we have room for 256 physical fuses, though we already have 8 address bits allocated for their selection.

It seems to me that the 128-bit key used to validate the loader could be reused for AES-128 without any compromise. Is there an advantage to having another 128-bit key for the AES-128 decrypt?
  • ericballericball Posts: 774
    edited 2012-02-16 07:24
    Note: for best security the key should be user configurable, not hardcoded into the ROM. I think from a cryptanalysis perspective there are disadvantages to reusing the same key for the authentication and encryption and there might be keys which are considered weak for one purpose but not the other (although I think that's more applicable to public key crypto). However, given a sufficiently random key it should be "good enough". There should be literature for this.

Of a bigger concern (to me) is any salt / initialization vector. In many cases using a static salt / IV can make cyptanalysis easier, especially known plaintext attacks. Again, making this user configurable (and secure) is the best idea.

Question: what's the advantage of making the fuses only one-time readable? The intent of the authentication / encryption is to ensure the Prop2 only executes valid code. Therefore the fuses should be secure (barring extreme measures). The disadvantage is it prevents the user from re-using the keys unless they are stored in HUB RAM, in which defeats the purpose of the one-time readability.
    edited 2012-02-16 07:27
    The fuses are entirely user-programmable, so you can put whatever values you'd like into them.
    edited 2012-02-16 07:29
    Chip,
    My concern about reusing the fuse bits is that someone may want to use some other algorithm, or maybe they're just using the bits as configuration space and don't care about encryption. Are fuses really that big that you can't easily find room for them?

Eric,
    Remember that we're talking about fuse bits here, so they are user-set. Cracking them will break one manufacturer's device, but not all PropII devices.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2012-02-16 07:31
    The SHA/AES scheme sounds like it will work. One additional advantage of having the loader in EEPROM is that it can be configured by the user for his system's maximum clock speed and/or EEPROM/Flash/FRAM data rate, thus decreasing boot times.

-Phil
    edited 2012-02-16 07:44
    Chip,
    Are fuses really that big that you can't easily find room for them?

They are big because each fuse has to have a huge 3.3V PMOS device to blow it. Its channel width is around 300um.
    edited 2012-02-16 07:45
    The SHA/AES schrme sounds like it will work. One additional advantage of having the loader in EEPROM is that it can be configured by the user for his system's maximum clock speed and/or EEPROM/Flash/FRAM data rate, thus decreasing boot times.

-Phil

Good point, Phil.
    edited 2012-02-16 07:46
    I wonder if the fuses could be made thinner, then require a higher voltage to blow? Maybe take 12v into the reset pin to provide power to blow fuses?
    edited 2012-02-16 07:49
    I wonder if the fuses could be made thinner, then require a higher voltage to blow? Maybe take 12v into the reset pin to provide power to blow fuses?

The chip's transistors couldn't handle that kind of voltage. Even 4V would be pushing it. As it is, 3.3V should blow the fuses.