Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller II update - BLOG - Page 176 — Parallax Forums

Propeller II update - BLOG

Comments

• jmgjmg Posts: 15,149
    edited 2014-02-24 21:36
    30 percent and up to 70 percent reduction in compile times

Every release seems to include similar claims ?

I see they also claim small changes are handled faster again

With Quartus II software v13.1, you will experience an average of 30% reduction in compile time and an additional average of 50 percent reduction for small design changes, enabling quicker design turns and faster time to market.
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,255
    edited 2014-02-24 22:05
    That is a standard claim for the major release, which just gets used, until the next major release. Nobody wants to talk about the .000x percent improvements, or regressions in a point release, so mostly they don't.
  • SapiehaSapieha Posts: 2,964
    edited 2014-02-25 00:25
    Hi Chip.

Is it possible You put on forum entire snippet of code that are compilable.
    So I can test it on my Quartus versions both 12.1 and 13.0

cgracey wrote: »
    This bug may only be something that occurs within GENERATE. The whole construct already is very simple. What is table-style syntax, though?
  • cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    edited 2014-02-25 00:37
    jmg wrote: »
    Every release seems to include similar claims ?

I see they also claim small changes are handled faster again

With Quartus II software v13.1, you will experience an average of 30% reduction in compile time and an additional average of 50 percent reduction for small design changes, enabling quicker design turns and faster time to market.

It's taken hours to download everything, but now it's installed and I just ran it. It compiled 7% faster. Same bug, though.
    edited 2014-02-25 00:39
    Sapieha wrote: »
    Hi Chip.

Is it possible You put on forum entire snippet of code that are compilable.
    So I can test it on my Quartus versions both 12.1 and 13.0

If I narrowed down the code, I know it wouldn't have this bug.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2014-02-25 01:14
    Chip,
    Just a thought - SEL or SELX isn't a reserved or predefined name in Quartus?? Occasionally I have been caught by naming something that conflicts, giving incorrect results.
    edited 2014-02-25 01:32
    Cluso99 wrote: »
    Chip,
    Just a thought - SEL or SELX isn't a reserved or predefined name in Quartus?? Occasionally I have been caught by naming something that conflicts, giving incorrect results.

Good idea. Well, Quartus doesn't seem to color-code code the word, so it seems like a valid variable name. I might get more desperate and try a different name, but I think that's not it.
    edited 2014-02-25 01:45
    Hi Chip.

In attachment are my version of RounRobin. (4 way)

Maybe that helps
    1024 x 223 - 23K
    edited 2014-02-25 02:31
    Well, I made 16 flops that I could index in the GENERATE and, still, the same bug. This makes no sense, at all. Some combinatorial logic function is mixing adjacent bits.

Now I'm trying a discrete approach: {sel[(7+i)%8], sel[(6+i)%8], sel[(5+i)%8], sel[(4+i)%8], sel[(3+i)%8], sel[(2+i)%8], sel[(1+i)%8], sel[(0+i)%8]}

In Verilog, % is a modulus operator. This should handle the wrapping okay. We'll see if it works. 15 more minutes to go...
    edited 2014-02-25 03:03
    That last compile exhibits the same bug. It's like it took the separate GENERATE blocks and OR'd the "sel" signals together, which were offset between them. I should try compiling three cogs and see if I get 3x pulses. I would really like to get to the bottom of this and have some confidence that things make sense. The thing is, this WAS working before.
    edited 2014-02-25 03:21
    Hi Chip.

It is maybe PORT's conflict in code.

Sometimes I need break code in Components before faults is gone

That last compile exhibits the same bug. It's like it took the separate GENERATE blocks and OR'd the "sel" signals together, which were offset between them. I should try compiling three cogs and see if I get 3x pulses. I would really like to get to the bottom of this and have some confidence that things make sense. The thing is, this WAS working before.
  • RamonRamon Posts: 484
    edited 2014-02-25 03:38
    Chip, 15 minutes is a very long time.

I don't know if this helps, but there are some online verilog compilers:

http://iverilog.com/index.php
    http://www.compileonline.com/compile_verilog_online.php

I have tested some simple concatenations and I am not sure that the output is what it should be:

module signed_number;

reg [31:0]  a;
    reg [31:0]  b;
    reg [31:0]  c;
    reg [31:0]  d;
    reg [2:0]   i;

initial begin
      a = 8'b10101010;
      $display ("Value of a = %b", a);
      b = {2{a}};
      $display ("Value of b = %b", b);
      i = 3'b100;
      c = {2{a+i}};
      $display ("Value of c = %b", c);
      i = 3'b1;
      d = {2{a+i}};
      $display ("Value of d = %b", d);
    end
    endmodule 

Output:

Value of a = 00000000000000000000000010101010
    Value of b = 00000000000000000000000010101010
    Value of c = 00000000000000000000000010101110
    Value of d = 00000000000000000000000010101011

(Changing some "reg" to "wire" give some weird warnings and errors. So maybe what Sapieha said could be in the right direction)
    edited 2014-02-25 04:25
    It is, indeed, OR'ing the "hub_sel" signals together, across different cogs. I have no idea why it is doing this. It must be something to do with GENERATE. I compiled three cogs and, sure enough, the "sel" pulses are now 3 clocks wide, instead of 2, for 2 cogs. I see what it's doing, but I don't understand why yet. This has wasted a whole day, so far.

Thanks for trying to think of what is wrong, Guys. It may be kind of futile from your end, but I appreciate your efforts.

Here is what is going on, in a nutshell:
    wire [15:0] selx = {2{sel}};

genvar i;
    generate
    for (i = 0; i < cogs; i++)
    begin : coggen
    	cog cog_ (hub_sel(selx[i+7:i]), etc.)
    end
    endgenerate

All of the different sets of hub_sel(selx[i+7:i]) signals going to the cogs are OR'd together, word-wise. Why in the world should this be happening?
  • ctwardellctwardell Posts: 1,716
    edited 2014-02-25 05:30
    It is, indeed, OR'ing the "hub_sel" signals together, across different cogs. I have no idea why it is doing this. It must be something to do with GENERATE. I compiled three cogs and, sure enough, the "sel" pulses are now 3 clocks wide, instead of 2, for 2 cogs. I see what it's doing, but I don't understand why yet. This has wasted a whole day, so far.

Thanks for trying to think of what is wrong, Guys. It may be kind of futile from your end, but I appreciate your efforts.

genvar i;
    generate
    for (i = 0; i < cogs; i++)
    end
    endgenerate

All of the different sets of hub_sel(selx[i+7:i]) signals going to the cogs are OR'd together, word-wise. Why in the world should this be happening?

I've never used Verilog, so I may just be talking out the wrong end...

On the surface it looks like the sequence for selx values would be:

selx[7:0]
    selx[8:1]
    selx[9:2]

Just guessing that 7:0 indicates bits 7 through 0 and 8:1 indicates bits 8 through 1, that would seem to imply overlapping values.

Is that correct?

C.W.
    edited 2014-02-25 06:12
    Hi Chip.

Line colored in code give me error.

But rewriten to
    for (i = 0; i <= cogs; i = + 1) ---> give no compile error.

But it is still to little info to made module of yours code

genvar i;
    generate
    [COLOR=#b22222][B]for (i = 0; i < cogs; i++)[/B][/COLOR]
    end
    endgenerate

• SeairthSeairth Posts: 2,474
    edited 2014-02-25 07:20

What does the hub_sel function do?
    edited 2014-02-25 07:21
    ctwardell wrote: »
    I've never used Verilog, so I may just be talking out the wrong end...

On the surface it looks like the sequence for selx values would be:

selx[7:0]
    selx[8:1]
    selx[9:2]

Just guessing that 7:0 indicates bits 7 through 0 and 8:1 indicates bits 8 through 1, that would seem to imply overlapping values.

Is that correct?

You've got that right.
    edited 2014-02-25 07:34
    ctwardell got me thinking, though. Shouldn't your code be shifting the bit to the left as the cog number increases? If so, you need something like:
    	cog cog_ (hub_sel(selx[15-i:8-i]), etc.)

This would move the "window" to the right, thereby causing the bit to "shift" to the left.
    edited 2014-02-25 07:37
    Also, mostly because I'm curious, why do you pass the entire vector in instead of just a single control signal?
    edited 2014-02-25 10:30
    Seairth wrote: »
    Also, mostly because I'm curious, why do you pass the entire vector in instead of just a single control signal?

Good question, this feels like a SW/HW boundary blur issue, where Generate has a longer 'memory' than expected and so does more in SW than expected, before the HW result is output.
    Things to try would be to de-complicate the params, and unroll the generate loop.
    You can use
    `ifdef
    'endif
    for different generate cases, and sidestep the minefield this way.
    edited 2014-02-25 13:17
    Seairth wrote: »
    ctwardell got me thinking, though. Shouldn't your code be shifting the bit to the left as the cog number increases? If so, you need something like:
    	cog cog_ (hub_sel(selx[15-i:8-i]), etc.)

This would move the "window" to the right, thereby causing the bit to "shift" to the left.

In the source variable "sel", which is 8 flipflops, the pattern it cycles through is this:

<repeat>

Each cog's hub_sel[7:0] needs to have a different wrapped offset of this pattern, with hub_sel[0] being that cog's actual hub cycle indicator. Other taps are needed, though, to do other things. It is proper that cog0 gets selx[7:0], while cog1 gets selx[8:1], etc.

The hub_sel signal needs
    edited 2014-02-25 13:19
    Sapieha wrote: »
    Hi Chip.

Line colored in code give me error.

But rewriten to
    for (i = 0; i <= cogs; i = + 1) ---> give no compile error.

But it is still to little info to made module of yours code

I tried using 'i=i+1', but it didn't change anything. Thanks for doing that check, though.
    edited 2014-02-25 13:24
    Good question, this feels like a SW/HW boundary blur issue, where Generate has a longer 'memory' than expected and so does more in SW than expected, before the HW result is output.
    Things to try would be to de-complicate the params, and unroll the generate loop.
    You can use
    `ifdef
    'endif
    for different generate cases, and sidestep the minefield this way.

Yes, it may come to this, but I'm loathe to do that since there are maybe 50 assignments per cog and lots of room for errors. The thing is, this WAS working up to a few days ago! It just went crazy, all of the sudden.
    edited 2014-02-25 13:34
    Yes, it may come to this, but I'm loathe to do that since there are maybe 50 assignments per cog and lots of room for errors. The thing is, this WAS working up to a few days ago! It just went crazy, all of the sudden.

Then something must have triggered it - did you change nesting levels, add more Generates, or other increase in complexity that has crossed over some 'ability to cope' threshold ?

Do you mean you have 50 places with this type of Generate ? Unroll of just this one should be relatively simple.
    edited 2014-02-25 13:43
    Then something must have triggered it - did you change nesting levels, add more Generates, or other increase in complexity that has crossed over some 'ability to cope' threshold ?

Do you mean you have 50 places with this type of Generate ? Unroll of just this one should be relatively simple.

I added another GENERATE within the cog file, I think. I will investigate. This has been such a detour that I can't even remember what I was working on, exactly.

I mean this GENERATE has only 4 iterations (or a maximum of 8 if we had a big-enough FPGA), but each cog instantiation has ~50 assignments.
    edited 2014-02-25 14:14
    Other ideas
    - Change the loop variable to something that is not used anywhere else.
    - Load an older project that you know is ok, and confirm it is the newest code, not the Tool Flow, or settings, or anything else, that triggers the effect.
    edited 2014-02-25 14:17
    By chance is the compiler memory or storage bound? Does it process intermediate files? Can you move everything and do a complete rebuild?
    edited 2014-02-25 14:17
    Hi Chip.

As I said from start -- that can be PORT conflict (some Names in 2 parts become same)

I added another GENERATE within the cog file, I think. I will investigate. This has been such a detour that I can't even remember what I was working on, exactly.

I mean this GENERATE has only 4 iterations (or a maximum of 8 if we had a big-enough FPGA), but each cog instantiation has ~50 assignments.
    edited 2014-02-25 14:24
    potatohead wrote: »
    By chance is the compiler memory or storage bound? Does it process intermediate files? Can you move everything and do a complete rebuild?

That sort of ceiling failure tends to be more blunt - this sounds like it is 'failing with finesse' where it is doing something intelligent, just not the intelligence in the details that Chip is wanting. More along the lines of a confusion or contamination within the tools.
    edited 2014-02-25 14:26
    I agree generally. However, it may be worth eliminating the possibility. I've seen very subtle things happen within those rough failure cases, particularly intermediate files.