Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller II update - BLOG - Page 167 — Parallax Forums

Propeller II update - BLOG

Comments

• Dave HeinDave Hein Posts: 6,347
    edited 2014-01-25 09:36
    OK, so self-hosted Spin and PASM has already been done in Sphinx on P1. I don't understand the anticipation of self-hosted PASM on P2. Wouldn't it just be similar to what's already been done in Sphinx?
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    edited 2014-01-25 09:42
    David,

Sounds like the job is done already. We wanted PASM we get Spin as a bonus:)
  • David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,511
    edited 2014-01-25 10:54
    Dave Hein wrote: »
    OK, so self-hosted Spin and PASM has already been done in Sphinx on P1. I don't understand the anticipation of self-hosted PASM on P2. Wouldn't it just be similar to what's already been done in Sphinx?
    I keep asking that same question. People ask for self-hosted development environments but don't use the one that already exists.
  • Bill HenningBill Henning Posts: 6,445
    edited 2014-01-25 11:03
    I have used it on PropCade and RoboProp.

On the P2 it will be much faster and more convenient.
    David Betz wrote: »
    I keep asking that same question. People ask for self-hosted development environments but don't use the one that already exists.
  • KeithEKeithE Posts: 957
    edited 2014-01-25 11:42
    With self-hosted won't a lot of people miss source code control, easy access to electronic documentation/obex, whatever backup system they are using,...? (I'm sure I'm missing a few things.) Or is this more for short experiments?
    edited 2014-01-25 11:51
    KeithE wrote: »
    With self-hosted won't a lot of people miss source code control, easy access to electronic documentation/obex, whatever backup system they are using,...? (I'm sure I'm missing a few things.) Or is this more for short experiments?
    It's for after the world's financial and political system collapses, the is no internet and everyone is living in caves. Somewhere along the way, no doubt, someone will trigger the self-destruct mechanism that we all know is buried inside our Intel processors and there will be no way to develop software other than self-hosted on the Propeller. :-)
  • cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    edited 2014-01-25 11:53
    A self-hosting Prop2 would need a monitor, keyboard, and mouse attached. That's some desk real estate.

It could be absolutely responsive and cut through layers of bloat and fatigue that plague every other modern system. It could be really dynamic to program and debug on - especially if it targeted a second Prop2 that could be reloaded very quickly. The question is, would it be compelling enough for people to use? It is up against the hegemonic C-coded, architecture-agnostic, rely-on-hardware-peripherals, tolerate-the-jitter, use-a-faster-processor paradigm that is retroactively defining what can be built. It would be outside of the current box, but great for designing around clock-edge timing constraints that relate to real-time phenomena. It would facilitate design efforts that result in collapse of hardware complexity for many systems. Some things cannot be envisioned from the current prevailing paradigm, because they cannot be done - unless you resort to an FPGA, which is very tedious to configure and a pain to design onto a board. And then there's the analog circuitry...
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,155
    edited 2014-01-25 12:34

I think the appeal is mostly Academic and Philosophical - it makes for a good capability demonstration, but I'm not sure it is a good use of time.

Things like better PC tools, a good simulator, and good debug, would be ahead of self-hosting on the 'things to do' list.
    edited 2014-01-25 12:55
    On the other hand there are the examples of the Espruino and MicroPython efforts.

Just plug your MCU into a USB port where it shows up as a serial device.

Talk to it via hyperterminal or whatever terminal software and start programming in JavaScript or Python.

No software to install no fuss.

Is that useful? Or just a toy?
    edited 2014-01-25 13:06
    Heater. wrote: »
    On the other hand there are the examples of the Espruino and MicroPython efforts.

Just plug your MCU into a USB port where it shows up as a serial device.

Talk to it via hyperterminal or whatever terminal software and start programming in JavaScript or Python.

No software to install no fuss.

Is that useful? Or just a toy?
    Good question. I think that remains to be seen. It's certainly good for putting together an impressive demo. How would you develop a big program that way though? Where does the source code live? I've found it useful to author code on a PC and then download it into a target device along with an interpreter that lets me invoke any of the functions in my code. This provides a very convenient way to incrementally test and debug functions on the target device. I can type small test functions or even just single expressions and see how my code works or doesn't. But then I go back to the source on the PC and make the fixes. I'm not sure how practical it is to make the target your main development machine.
  • jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2014-01-25 13:09
    People should do things that they enjoy.

Like using a PC? use it.
    Like making write-only programs? do it.
    Like living in the woods? go to it.
    Just don't expect everyone to like what you like.
    edited 2014-01-25 13:28
    David,

There you have hit the big thought, but first:
    How would you develop a big program that way though?
    Perhaps you don't. If you want to get bigger and more complex you have to tool up to handle it.
    Where does the source code live?
    In the case of Espruino it lives on the Espruino.

Now the big thought:

Consider the history of JavaScript:

That stupid slow language that was only good for making button click handlers in web pages. How everybody jeered at it; "That's no good for big programs", "That's no good for serious programming"...

Well, up against stiff competition from Java, JS ended up being used in billions of little programs, in billions of web pages downloaded trillions of times in the last two decades.

Browsers, grew up, JS grew up. There are now million line JS code bases! But that's beside the point.

Now we have JS on 2 dollar micro controllers. How they laugh and snigger. "That's no good for big programs", "That's not real-time capable"...

Who cares? Not the guys making their little gadgets work without having to learn assembler or C/C++. Perhaps history will repeat itself and JS will, slowly, one tiny, stupid, app after another, come to be the most widely used MCU platform the world has ever seen.

Just speculating...
    edited 2014-01-25 13:36
    David,

There you have hit the big thought, but first:

Perhaps you don't. If you want to get bigger and more complex you have to tool up to handle it.

Now the big thought:

Consider the history of JavaScript:

That stupid slow language that was only good for making button click handlers in web pages. How everybody jeered at it; "That's no good for big programs", "That's no good for serious programming"...

Well, up against stiff competition from Java, JS ended up being used in billions of little programs, in billions of web pages downloaded trillions of times in the last two decades.

Browsers, grew up, JS grew up. There are now million line JS code bases! But that's beside the point.

Now we have JS on 2 dollar micro controllers. How they laugh and snigger. "That's no good for big programs", "That's not real-time capable"...

Who cares? Not the guys making their little gadgets work without having to learn assembler or C/C++. Perhaps history will repeat itself and JS will, slowly, one tiny, stupid, app after another, come to be the most widely used MCU platform the world has ever seen.

Just speculating...
    Yes, it will be interesting to see what happens.
  • ctwardellctwardell Posts: 1,716
    edited 2014-01-25 13:53
    Perhaps history will repeat itself and JS will, slowly, one tiny, stupid, app after another, come to be the most widely used MCU platform the world has ever seen.

Just speculating...

It seems odd that some of the same people that bemoan 'bloat' in the PC world would advocate for such bloat in the world of MCU's...

While it might be fun and even useful in some cases, it seems like a waste of silicon and clock cycles to carry so much baggage along.

C.W.
    edited 2014-01-25 14:20
    "Bloat" does not exist.

Software has got bigger for sure. Blame unicode, GUI's, 64 bit processors, networking, browsers, video play back etc etc for that. We have a lot more functionality now a days.
    it seems like a waste of silicon and clock cycles to carry so much baggage along.
    Yes running a JS program on an MCU sounds insanely wasteful.

But let's look at this from another perspective.

There is no baggage. Physically the amount of silicon required to run something like JS is a thousand times (or whatever) smaller than was required to build those 8 bit computers guys like us grew up with. Clock cycles we have a plenty. Cost wise the whole thing plus any circuit board it sits on s cheaper than a beer in many places.

This low cost and ultimate simplicity opens up use of MCU's to billions of people who would other wise never even think about them.

Let's see what they come up with.
    edited 2014-01-25 14:28
    Where does the source code live?
    I haven't received my Espruino yet. How much code can you fit on the board itself? Enough to do a significant project? What kind of on-board code editor is provided?
    edited 2014-01-25 14:36
    There is no baggage. Physically the amount of silicon required to run something like JS is a thousand times (or whatever) smaller than was required to build those 8 bit computers guys like us grew up with. Clock cycles we have a plenty. Cost wise the whole thing plus any circuit board it sits on s cheaper than a beer in many places.

The JS application requires more hardware resources than a similar application written 'closer to metal' in something like 'C'.
    When pennies count on BOM the JS isn't going to fly.

For low volume and experimenting I suppose JS on an MCU might be fun.

C.W.
    edited 2014-01-25 14:41
    ctwardell wrote: »
    The JS application requires more hardware resources than a similar application written 'closer to metal' in something like 'C'.
    When pennies count on BOM the JS isn't going to fly.

For low volume and experimenting I suppose JS on an MCU might be fun.

C.W.
    I'm not convinced of that. If you look at how much flash comes on MCUs these days and what price they're charging it may be that a stripped-down JS will fit on even relatively cheap parts. How much does the MCU on the Espruino cost? I'll be it's not very much.
    edited 2014-01-25 14:54
    David,
    How much code can you fit on the board itself?
    I have no idea. Hopefully my board will arrive next week. It was posted on Friday. I did try out the code on my STM32F4 dev board but I did not stress it.
    What kind of on-board code editor is provided?
    That's kind of hard to describe. Lets' say I was surprised at how smoothly it works. Better than those early BASIC line editors.

It's kind of freaky how you can have code running and edit it at the same time!

If you have 20 mins free do check Gordon's presentation at the Great British Node Conference:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrJJQ1uW3lA

cteardell,
    The JS application requires more hardware resources than a similar application written 'closer to metal' in something like 'C'. When pennies count on BOM the JS isn't going to fly.
    Yes indeed, And if you are going to make thousands or millions of something that is important.

That was my point about a change of perspective. It's not one manufacturer churning out billions of some gadget. It's billions of people doing whatever little thing they want. That was the JS in the web page analogy.
  • pedwardpedward Posts: 1,642
    edited 2014-01-25 14:58
    Am I the only one that thinks the DE0-nano has be neutered to the point where it is not very useful?

I mean, take away the second counter, the second Serial module, math instructions, and it's only 1 COG. I liked the old 60Mhz full function DE0-nano because it represented exactly 1/8th of a real P2.

Now it seems that the DE0 is pretty much relegated to either running old firmware or having crutches and casts on your legs...you aren't gonna run. Might as well just deprecate the DE0 for P2 development.

The DE0 makes for a neat FPGA dev tool, but doesn't seem to be featureful enough to do faithful P2 development.

Just my POV.
    edited 2014-01-25 15:04
    I'm not convinced of that. If you look at how much flash comes on MCUs these days and what price they're charging it may be that a stripped-down JS will fit on even relatively cheap parts. How much does the MCU on the Espruino cost? I'll be it's not very much.
    I expect RAM will be the more important item.

C.W.
    edited 2014-01-25 15:06
    Better not deprecate the nano. It's the only FPGA board I have and I can't justify buy a bigger one.

No I don't want to run old verilog on it. What's the point? It's the new stuff that needs testing.

Despite being only one COG and having some features missing that leaves a lot of ground that needs exercising.

Ozpropdev has shown that amazing things can be done with only one cog.
    edited 2014-01-25 15:10
    pedward wrote: »
    Am I the only one that thinks the DE0-nano has be neutered to the point where it is not very useful?

I mean, take away the second counter, the second Serial module, math instructions, and it's only 1 COG. I liked the old 60Mhz full function DE0-nano because it represented exactly 1/8th of a real P2.

Now it seems that the DE0 is pretty much relegated to either running old firmware or having crutches and casts on your legs...you aren't gonna run. Might as well just deprecate the DE0 for P2 development.

The DE0 makes for a neat FPGA dev tool, but doesn't seem to be featureful enough to do faithful P2 development.

Just my POV.

It will still be useful, Chip mentioned possibly having several images with different items left out.

C.W.
  • rod1963rod1963 Posts: 752
    edited 2014-01-25 15:23
    Looking at the Espurino code examples JS looks to be a nice programming language, I can see it becoming popular among hobbyists and tinkerers who just need something work. It will be interesting to see if the P2 can be made to run Espurino. I can only see positive things if the P2 can run it.
  • SeairthSeairth Posts: 2,474
    edited 2014-01-25 15:30

Just my POV.

I'm on the fence about this. I just bought the DE0-Nano, so I'd be bummed if I don't get the opportunity to play with the latest P2 build. On the other hand, I'm not sure that leaving features out is a good idea. It seems that the most important reason to release FPGA builds right now is to get as much test coverage as possible before the next shuttle run. And if that is the case, it seems like we should be focusing on features before speed. If that means that the Nano would have to run slower to allow more features, that's probably the more appropriate approach at the moment.
  • TubularTubular Posts: 4,646
    edited 2014-01-25 15:57

Just my POV.

I think if it can still run the balls demo it must be somewhat useful. And being able to break out of a cog by using hubexec is a huge plus - that single cog is effectively a whole log bigger now

But yes I'm going to be stuck on the previous firmware release. That's not the end of the world
    edited 2014-01-25 16:42
    rod1963,

I'm sure we can get the Espruino JS engine running on the P2. It's very clean code that builds and runs on Linux easily.
    The tricky part is exposing all the Props unique hardware features to JavaScript.
    Also all numbers in JS are 64 bit floating point which is going to be a tad slow on a machine without an FPU.
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,155
    edited 2014-01-25 17:13
    Seairth wrote: »
    ... it seems like we should be focusing on features before speed. If that means that the Nano would have to run slower to allow more features, that's probably the more appropriate approach at the moment.

I'd agree test coverage is important, but there are different sides to 'slower'.

Chip said he removed stuff until the build was sufficiently fast, and he may look at differing builds, with varying areas removed.

Once the initial release is done, there should be time to look at BEmicro builds (run speed ? does it fit ?) and to see if an 'optimize for size' pass, combined with a longer build time & relaxed MHz, can yield another choice point on the Nano.

The expectation would be Cyclone V would give a faster P2 emulation than Cyclone IV, but how much faster ? is 100MHz realistic ?
  • cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    edited 2014-01-25 19:53
    I don't think the DEO-Nano version is overly stunted. It's got the whole CPU, just minus some peripherals. I think one could get a pretty good programming experience from it.
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2014-01-25 19:58
    cgracey wrote: »
    I don't think the DEO-Nano version is overly stunted. It's got the whole CPU, just minus some peripherals. I think one could get a pretty good programming experience from it.

I'm looking forward to it - multitasking, hubexec, larger HUBRAM, at least one counter to play with - plenty to learn!