Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller ASC (Arduino Shield Compatible) - Page 9 — Parallax Forums

Propeller ASC (Arduino Shield Compatible)

Comments

• PowersoftPowersoft Posts: 72
    edited 2012-08-26 11:47
    Hello,

When is the kvm shield available, in stock?

Jan Kromhout
  • Martin HodgeMartin Hodge Posts: 1,246
    edited 2012-08-26 14:55
    Jeff (oldbitcollector) has my inventory for UPENE. I will get back what's left this week and update my website then.
  • PowersoftPowersoft Posts: 72
    edited 2012-08-27 07:26
    Could I do a pre-order?
    edited 2012-08-27 08:23
    I've enabled the KVM for back-ordering for you.
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2012-08-27 21:46
    Shipped all of Martin's remaining stock back to him this afternoon. He should have those materials in short order.

Jeff
    edited 2012-08-29 11:46
    Got everything back and shipped out your order today. Thanks!
  • TheKaduuTheKaduu Posts: 41
    edited 2013-03-22 14:21
    Hi everyone,

I just got 2 of the ASC+'s. Attached is the cropped image from the Rev.F schematic. This component on the board has "CC5F" written on it. I have been googling it and the closest thing I got for an answer was a Texas Instruments smd DPDT switch...
    Can anyone tell me what this component is? What is it used for? Where can I get a THT style of this component?

Thank you for your time...

The Kaduu
    616 x 372 - 68K
    edited 2013-03-22 19:17
    This is the component:
    http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/sn74lvc1g3157.pdf

It is a SPDT digital switch that is used to control the reference voltage to the ADC. If you write a 1 to Propeller pin 24 this switch will disconnect the +5v from the MCP3208's voltage reference input and connect whatever voltage you supply on the "AREF" Arduino header. If you write a 0 to pin 24, or leave it as an input, the switch will disconnect the AREF header and supply +5v voltage reference which is the default condition on power-up.

MCP3208 datasheet: http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/21298e.pdf
    edited 2013-03-23 12:18
    Thank you very much for your help. Very nice product...
    edited 2013-05-30 12:16
    Martin Hodge,

I am trying to connect voltage divider and 2 linear sliding pots to analog inputs 0, 1 and 2, respectively. I have RC filter on the voltage divider, however, the wiper of the pots connect to analog inputs 1 and 2 straight.
    Everything is on a common ground and pots use the ASC+'s 5v supply.

First of all, the voltage sensed from the voltage divider is wrong (I am using 0.1% tolerance smd resistors). Second problem is that when I move the first pot (connected to analog input 1) all the way up and all the way down, the reading for the second pot changes. The change is not too much but for my application, it is undesirable.

Is there anything I'm missing or you can recommend that I do?

Thank you for your time.

The Kaduu
    edited 2013-05-30 13:57
    Kaduu, A few questions.

Which board rev are you using (rev.f has the SD card slot)

What driver are you using for the ADC?

How are you determining that the voltage reading on the divider isn't correct? What kind of readings are you getting from the ADC and what reading were you expecting? Did you factor in the R in your RC filter?

If you move pot 2 to, say, input 6 or 7 on the AUX header does the second problem change any?
    edited 2013-05-30 14:28
    Martin,

I have the rev.f board. I am using MCP3208 object and the IC on your board is MCP3208 C. I basically take a 3 cell lipo and voltage divide it by 3 to get a per cell voltage (assuming that the lipo is balanced). When I measure the 3 cell lipo with 2 different multimeters, I get 11.43 which should give ~3.81v when divided correctly. I have all 0.1% 100K resistors... I just measured the output voltage the divider supposed to have and it is 3.45v, so, I think I may have damaged the resistors somehow... Never mind the voltage divider question...

I will try to move the pot inputs to 6 and 7 and try it that way... I already made the PCB but I have to figure something out about that...
    I'll let you know...

Thank you for your fast response.

The Kaduu
    edited 2013-05-30 17:25
    Martin,

I did not have to try the input 6 and 7. I unattach my shield and connected the pots directly and everything works fine... I probably have design problems with my pcb... I power the ASC+ from the 3 cell lipo while having extra 5v regulator for the LCD and 3.3v regulator for the XBee Pro... Can the ASC+'s 5v and 3.3v regulators run the board fine while LCD pulling 220 mA from the 5v pin and XBee pulling 220 mA from the 3.3v pin?
    edited 2013-05-30 22:36
    The ASC+ uses LD1117 vregs. The 3.3v reg is rated @ 1200mA and the 5v @ 950mA. You should be fine but check their temperature for a few minutes after you plug everything in.

Glad you're making progress. Let us know if you run into any more problems.
    edited 2013-05-31 08:14
    Thank you. Being able to use the on board vregs makes my design much simpler. I should not have to use anything between the wiper of the pot and the analog pin, right?

How about the Vin max for 5v reg when using the barrel jack? I have 4 cell on the secondary circuit and wondering if max of 16.8v can be handled by the 5v reg... Thanks again.
    edited 2013-05-31 23:27
    Kaduu, here is the datasheet for both those voltage regs. http://www.st.com/web/en/resource/technical/document/datasheet/CD00000544.pdf

I
    t says absolute max input voltage is 15, so you're not going to be able to power it from 16.8v.
  • cavelambcavelamb Posts: 720
    edited 2013-06-01 07:30
    Kaduu, here is the datasheet for both those voltage regs. http://www.st.com/web/en/resource/technical/document/datasheet/CD00000544.pdf

I
    t says absolute max input voltage is 15, so you're not going to be able to power it from 16.8v.

Add two forward biased diodes and it should be good to go.
    edited 2013-06-01 20:24
    Not the schottky ones right? Would 1N4001 be OK? I was thinking about putting a 12v regulator in-line before going into the ASC+...
    edited 2013-06-01 21:35
    1N4001 is a 1 amp 50 volt diode.
    Old fashioned, maybe, but works fine.

While I thought the forward drop was .6 volts,
    my data sheet says that AT 1 amp, the forward voltage drop is 1.1 volts.
    edited 2013-06-01 22:54
    More is better... But I just ordered the 3 pin 12v switching regulator which is drop in replacement for linear regs... It was $9 at gravitech.us
    These don't get hot, so, I'll epoxy it and use it inline before the ASC+... I know it's overkill but I may use these for something else if I choose to go with the diode route.

Thanks alot for your answers.
    edited 2013-06-12 12:46
    Well... About the Pot issues... I found out that one of the cables going to the pot had intermittent connection! Once I fixed it, my circuit worked without interfering with the other analog inputs.
    I don't understand why but it is easy to check for the next time.

Also, the 5v and 3.3v regulators work fine without heating too much.

TheKaduu
  • TinkersALotTinkersALot Posts: 535
    edited 2013-06-18 10:56
    Hi Martin

I've tried the Gameduino shield and it works, just it's a bit too slow in SPIN.
    Maybe the experiment should be retried with PropBasic, or at least using an asynchronous and buffered SPI driver.

Regards
    Alessandro

time to try going back to c code with "the other Martin's" work with simple ide. but the combination is pretty neat
    edited 2013-06-18 21:28
    time to try going back to c code with "the other Martin's" work with simple ide. but the combination is pretty neat

This is the first time

EVER

that C

MAY have

EVER proven itself

device independent.

IF it works.

But that's just me.

An old Assembly language hold out.

From the archaic olden days…
    edited 2013-07-17 23:43
    There is a new board revision that is going onto the shelves here and at Parallax, revision 'fx'. The only difference in the 'f' and 'fx' boards are the fx boards use the FT231X USB to serial chip instead of the FT232RL. There are no other changes to the ASC+ other than this and some minor adjustments to traces and pad clearances. The fx boards will operate exactly as the f boards apart from the RX/TX LEDs will not flicker when you first plug in the USB cable.
  • Dave HeinDave Hein Posts: 6,347
    edited 2013-07-18 08:36
    cavelamb wrote: »
    This is the first time EVER that C MAY have EVER proven itself device independent.
    There are many examples of "device independent" C code. However, device independence usually requires device-dependent drivers, but if done right, the higher level code should work on multiple platforms without modifications.
  • EEE_CSUS_StudentEEE_CSUS_Student Posts: 1
    edited 2014-02-14 07:16
    First off Awesome concept and board! I had been working with the Prop at school and had really thought that it has some big advantages over the chips used on the arduino. I was going to look into something like this for a school project, but since it has already been done I guess I wont. Only question I have is there a set of "handler" functions (or library) that mimic the arduino language so I can use source code for various shields? I have been playing around in the Simple IDE and it seems like porting some of the arduino language over to the Propeller would save some project development time and open it up to a wider audience. If there isn't a library, maybe I could use that as a project...
  • jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2014-02-14 15:57
    Hi. Welcome to the forum.

One of our regular contributors, Martin_H, wrote a Propeller Arduino library for use with SimpleIDE. It is a significant body of code, but I'd bet there is room for additional functions. To use the library in a project it is very important to click the Project Manager -> Compiler -> Enable Pruning checkbox.

The link to Martin's library is in my signature. https://code.google.com/p/lib-propelleruino
  • porcupineporcupine Posts: 80
    edited 2014-04-10 06:03
    Hello, I posted on another thread before I found this one.

1. I have/had some questions about the uSD support on the ASC+. I have the Rev.F board. I see now from the schematic what the pinouts are for MOSI/MISO/CLK; there's one remaining pin, 'CS' (aka SYNC) that is needed for some of the SPI SD card reader libs I've seen? Maybe not needed?
    2. Reading uSDHC cards. The only one I could find at the BestBuy was 16gb. Am I going to be able to do this?
    3. .cfg file for propeller-load, is there one around for the ASC+ board?
    4. Further on the above, doing GCC XMM[C] with the ASC+? Possible? Not sure I fully understand XMM yet, but I'd like to have a program size >32k, but not finding many clear descriptions on how to make this happen.

R
  • porcupineporcupine Posts: 80
    edited 2014-04-10 06:54
    To answer my own questions #1 and #2; pinouts/code to mount are :

const int MISO = 12, CLK = 13, MISI = 11, CS = 8;
    int erc = sd_mount(MISO, CLK, MISI, CS);

And this works fine with SDHC cards.

Now just to figure out how to get extended memory using SD.
    porcupine wrote: »
    Hello, I posted on another thread before I found this one.

1. I have/had some questions about the uSD support on the ASC+. I have the Rev.F board. I see now from the schematic what the pinouts are for MOSI/MISO/CLK; there's one remaining pin, 'CS' (aka SYNC) that is needed for some of the SPI SD card reader libs I've seen? Maybe not needed?
    2. Reading uSDHC cards. The only one I could find at the BestBuy was 16gb. Am I going to be able to do this?
    3. .cfg file for propeller-load, is there one around for the ASC+ board?
    4. Further on the above, doing GCC XMM[C] with the ASC+? Possible? Not sure I fully understand XMM yet, but I'd like to have a program size >32k, but not finding many clear descriptions on how to make this happen.

R
  • jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2014-04-10 07:03
    XMMC with uSD works in the release_1_0 code, but will likely be deprecated in release_2_0.

Using uSD is horribly slow for various reasons, and is not recommended.

I have a precious few samples of uSD-SPI-Flash on a uSD plug-in designed for this purpose if you want one. Can't use uSD and the uSD-SPI-Flash plug-in at the same time though.