Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
40 Props in a Skyscraper - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

40 Props in a Skyscraper

2»

Comments

• HumanoidoHumanoido Posts: 5,770
    edited 2010-08-02 16:01
    Duane said...
    A note about counters. Lab 7 of the PEK (in Prop Tool's Help) is about counters. The list you give are uses and modes of those counters (two per cog). Amazing stuff. Duane Edit: Slap my head! This is the TEST forum. I regret never learning to swear. Okay Humanoido, I guess you haven't posted this in the Propeller forum because of the lack of software at present. I've got to start looking at the top of the page to see what forum I'm in.

Duane, there's lot's of code! It's just not all put together in one homogeneous package. That's because we're still trying out different hardware connections. I hope it can go in the Project Forum when it has a code offering and schematics.

On the other hand, read the post about parallel language development - the work is of interest to prof_braino who is developing a Propeller Parallel Programming Language based on FORTH. There is current another thread about timing and prop booting, although many of these hardware challenges were previously solved.

You're right about the Test Forum - this started with an Avatar and a testing platform. Now I think its ready for the Propeller Forum. It was offered as Open Platform to have Forum friends offer ideas and development.

PEK Lab 7 is a gold mine of information and is highly recommended, thanks for the reminder.

Humanoido

Post Edited (Humanoido) : 8/2/2010 4:10:13 PM GMT
  • dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2010-08-02 16:07
    This post is being moved to the "Completed Projects" forum.

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Parallax Tech Support·
    edited 2010-08-02 16:20
    Thanks Dave, I appreciate this very much.

humanoido
    edited 2010-08-03 18:14
    To further develop parallel algorithms with the UltraSpark 40, a Tiny Tester is created for testing and developing parallel algorithms for parallel computing machines.
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=927796

This is based on the Minuscule project found at the link.
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=821451

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    humanoido
    *Stamp SEED Supercomputer *Basic Stamp Supercomputer *TriCore Stamp Supercomputer
    *Minuscule Stamp Supercomputer *Tiny Stamp Supercomputer *Penguin with 12 Brains
    *BASIC Stamp Supercomputing Book *Three Dimensional Computer *StampOne News!
    *Penguin Tech *Penguin Robot Society *Humanoid Toddler Robot
    *Ultimate List Prop Languages *Prop-a-Lot *Propalot Stuff *Prop SC Computer
    *Prop Skyscraper *Hobby Space Program
    *Smart BoeBot - http://forums.parallax.com/forums/default.aspx?f=6&m=469004
    *Multiprop Project List - http://forums.parallax.com/forums/default.aspx?f=25&m=472019
    *Tiny Tester for Developing Parallel Algorithms - http://forums.parallax.com/forums/default.aspx?f=21&m=474649
  • RavenkallenRavenkallen Posts: 1,057
    edited 2010-08-05 02:46
    That is really cool. Wow, with enough external memory and smart coding, you could do a lot of interesting computer modeling. Maybe even some fancy AI stuff....THAT is just plain awesome..

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Propeller + Picaxe = Romeo & Juliet
    edited 2010-08-05 16:36
    Ravenkallen said...
    That is really cool. Wow, with enough external memory and smart coding, you could do a lot of interesting computer modeling. Maybe even some fancy AI stuff....THAT is just plain awesome
    Ravenkallen, thanks.. about memory, everything in a prop (32K) is multiplied by 40. That includes access to storage with EEPROMs, and the add-on of extra memory boards (128 and 512 etc.), and the SD Card (which can add GBs of storage). I think a machine of this capacity could begin to do some AI at a level where this 10-computers parallel machine left off.

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=817126

humanoido
    edited 2010-09-11 07:23
    UltraSpark 40 Update 09.08.10

There are several new improvements made to the Ultraspark 40. One includes boards that are spaced farther apart to accommodate a higher density of wiring and tiny breadboards. Yes, you guessed it, this makes a taller SkyScraper stack.

I am considering dividing up the boards into two side by side groups in a custom designed housing. The breadboards proved highly successful in all test machines, even when overclocking at the 1st level was involved.

Second, the boards are now pivoting for more easy wiring modifications. Third, more software is being added to the collective, though this is taking time as I recently moved over from BASIC Stamp PBASIC and now to SPIN language.

A free loan out machine program is now initiated and we have had our first user. You'll see more about this in the upcoming months detailing the results.

Subprocessors are being explored, a more massive parallelism is being enabled, and upgrades to the design are in the works. The machine has proven ideal for developing parallel algorithms, though this process is very time consuming, easy in some instances and nearly impossible to fathom in others.

The largest part of this project is learning more about the Propeller chip and all its nuances. The goal and objective is keeping it simple for use and understanding, and maintaining language that most can understand.

The new interface is going to require more parts so I hope to get out next week and do some parts panning up north.

Several one-prop machines were built to test the upper/lower chip levels and explore the elements of I/O, loading, voltage, and current draw. It's easier to isolate a single chip.

I have one new invention that can go inside the machine and collect some basic data. This is currently being developed and could be released after the first upgrade. I would like to make it like a nano probe to help the system. I am not sure about moving it around from processor to processor so this will be a future goal or algorithm.

The other innovation is a fake LED. There are groupings of these and they are performing quite well. I got the idea from China where nearly every product is fake. So why not a fake light? One thing about the fake light, it's NOT a virtual light. That may require some thought. :)

Humanoido
  • AleAle Posts: 2,363
    edited 2010-09-11 08:36
    If Linda is ported then we can have Gaussian ! and do some quantum mechanical calculations :) Sadly the code does not fit into the COGs :( but without challenging ourselves we do not progress !
    edited 2010-09-14 05:59
    This has come up several times in other threads, so I would like to address the topic here as related to the UltraSpark 40. There's really no shortage of ideas for creating apps from a massive number of ports on the UltraSpark 40 or other machines with many ports.

Humanoido

TEN IDEAS FOR MASSIVE NUMBERS OF I/O PORTS
    IMPLEMENTED WITH THE ULTRASPARK 40

VISION

There's lots of uses for inputs in portions of mass quantity, especially for vision. One project uses lots of tiny optical lensing inputs, each input is light sensitive with a lens formed image. The software builds a map, detects motion, senses direction, builds an image, sends it, compresses it, stores in momentarily for analysis, and all that was accomplished with a BASIC Stamp. A propeller with lots of inputs could handle vision in much higher resolution. I'm sure we don't want blind humanoids so this is one app to keep in mind.

BRAINING TECHNOLOGY
    There are some future apps for the UltraSpark 40 that will take advantage of its many I/Os. Braining technology is probably the most interesting, where a large humanoid brain is constructed that requires many ports, like the Synapse in a human brain. IMO, this is one of the best uses for a massive quantity of ports.

WIDEBAND DATA STREAMING
    Another use for lots of input is a massively fast interface where many cogs can simultaneously look at the wideband pipelined data stream, all processors reading information at the same time in parallel. You don't need to dedicate two or more cogs in each prop to the task, just the I/Os. There are far more I/Os than cogs, so we think in this direction.

PARALLEL ALGORITHMS

Yet another use for a massive number of I/O ports is conducive to developing parallel algorithms with wiring to handle methods of parallelism and true determinism.

HYPERSPACE
    A more complicated use of the wiring comes in the creation of a multidimensional hyperspace computer, in which nodes form vertices of a 4D Hypercomputer. To create a usable hypercomputer of significant power, a more massive number of port wires will be required.

CUBING
    One project of mine for the UltraSpark 40 is cubing. I like to arrange my machine in terms of the largest integer based three dimensional cube with XYZ row columnar designations. The wiring on the massive ports lends itself readily to cubing. Cubing has many advantages in terms of methods to communicate from one processor to the next.

ULTRA SECURITY MASTERING
    Use over 1,000 I/Os to monitor and alarm every aspect of the building or a Skyscraper of many rooms.

MUSIC
    It's possible to conduct an entire virtual orchestra of many instruments all playing simultaneously in real time using a massive number of ports and the synchronicity of the system clock.

ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE
    This is one area that I would like to expand upon. The success of the BASIC Stamp SEED supercomputer with TINY AI software is a great incentive to delve further into AI with increasingly more powerful machines. I look forward to working with a supercomputer that has many billions of times more power.

DESIGN EXPERIMENTATION
    Setting up new experiments to test massive numbers of ports for hobby use will be fun, interesting, challenging, and exciting.
    edited 2010-09-14 06:09
    Ale wrote: »
    If Linda is ported then we can have Gaussian ! and do some quantum mechanical calculations :) Sadly the code does not fit into the COGs :( but without challenging ourselves we do not progress !
    Ale, TINY Linda?

Humanoido
    edited 2010-09-27 06:36
    Updated the home post.
    Added download info for software.
    Added download info for schematics.
    Added more assembly detail.
    Added current studies.
    Defined more definitions.
    Expanded some topics.
    Added addtl. topics.
    Expanded uses.
    Added a list of predecessor machines.
  • logan996logan996 Posts: 281
    edited 2010-10-09 10:44
    edited 2010-10-09 13:00
    logan996 wrote: »
    Logan, wow, fantastic. You're the man! :)

p8x32a-d40-l.jpg?w=470&h=286
    edited 2010-10-10 06:20
    I noticed the Hackaday news created nearly 10,000 more views to this thread. There's a big following of Propeller projects over there!
  • David GDavid G Posts: 9
    edited 2010-10-17 20:19
    Humanoido,

Recently I was reading an article about the National Ignition Facility (NIF) in Livermore, CA and their quest to achieve nuclear fusion using multiple lasers.

After jotting down a few calculations on the back of an envelope, I think it may be possible to achieve the same result by using the power of your UltraSpark 40 SuperMicrocomputer. The result could be a breakthrough in "Tabletop Fusion".

The implementation would require the addition of 40 Ultra-High Brightness LEDs from Radio Shack, one on each Propeller board, hanging over the edge. Half of them would point down the tower and half point up, all precisely focused at the midpoint, called the "Node of Fusion".

By using the Propellers at their maximum clock speed, you could create an in-phase stimulated beam from each LED that would not only add, but resonate at the focal point. Now comes the tricky part, you must carefully tune the phase of each LED until the atoms of argon in the air at the focal point spontaneously reverse their spin and fuse, releasing a brilliant pulse of 6965.43 angstrom(red) photons. Welder's goggles with shade 12-h glass would be required to protect your retina.

However, there is a profound danger. If any of the electrons in the outer m-shell of the argon atoms happen to reach an excited quantum state of +8, the Node of Fusion could collapse and form a microscopic black hole. You might recall that the scientists who designed the Superconducting Super Collider (SSC) were also concerned about this possibility. As a worst case scenario, they postulated that an unstable black hole might be formed that would consume approximately 2x10^8 cubic meters of matter before it stabilized. That's about the size of Utah.

In your case, I calculated that the probability of creating an unstable black hole was low, only about 1 part in 42, but you should seriously consider moving to an uninhabited island before firing up this machine.

Good luck, I look forward to seeing the results, if you're still there.

David G
    edited 2010-10-18 01:57
    David G wrote: »
    Humanoido,

Recently I was reading an article about the National Ignition Facility (NIF) in Livermore, CA and their quest to achieve nuclear fusion using multiple lasers.

After jotting down a few calculations on the back of an envelope, I think it may be possible to achieve the same result by using the power of your UltraSpark 40 SuperMicrocomputer. The result could be a breakthrough in "Tabletop Fusion".

The implementation would require the addition of 40 Ultra-High Brightness LEDs from Radio Shack, one on each Propeller board, hanging over the edge. Half of them would point down the tower and half point up, all precisely focused at the midpoint, called the "Node of Fusion".

By using the Propellers at their maximum clock speed, you could create an in-phase stimulated beam from each LED that would not only add, but resonate at the focal point. Now comes the tricky part, you must carefully tune the phase of each LED until the atoms of argon in the air at the focal point spontaneously reverse their spin and fuse, releasing a brilliant pulse of 6965.43 angstrom(red) photons. Welder's goggles with shade 12-h glass would be required to protect your retina.

However, there is a profound danger. If any of the electrons in the outer m-shell of the argon atoms happen to reach an excited quantum state of +8, the Node of Fusion could collapse and form a microscopic black hole. You might recall that the scientists who designed the Superconducting Super Collider (SSC) were also concerned about this possibility. As a worst case scenario, they postulated that an unstable black hole might be formed that would consume approximately 2x10^8 cubic meters of matter before it stabilized. That's about the size of Utah.

In your case, I calculated that the probability of creating an unstable black hole was low, only about 1 part in 42, but you should seriously consider moving to an uninhabited island before firing up this machine.

Good luck, I look forward to seeing the results, if you're still there.

David G
    David, I know exactly what you're saying. Check this out.

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=946966#post946966
    edited 2010-10-25 05:25
    Zoopydogsit wrote: In the past, when I was much younger I considered making a super computer from scratch, designing it in AHPL methodology, acquiring and building it from wirewrapped ECL, building it as water cooled environment. Then designing a boot loader, then an OS, writing the shims etc to an existing programming language. Nice thought project, interesting to think about it. But practially you'd be looking at hundreds of thousands if not millions of man hours to get an error free working device, for no real market and eventually be shelved and the parts be put in yet another box in the shed.

Time Management by Goals It's a good point that a super computing or a multiple chip project can become extremely time consuming to complete. That's why this is a completed AND ongoing project. It's completed with basic and realistically chosen goals that were met within a reasonable amount of time and it's a step by step project with longer range goals of development (with no intention to sell). The gains come from pure hobby pleasure and doing some exploration that I've dreamed about doing with larger machines.

High Interest Level
    There is no deadline to meet, no sale to make, and no reason to shelve it as new apps can be developed continuously. That keeps up a high interest level as there is always something new.

Recycling Green Machines
    Another point, these machines have another purpose. They can be recycled into other machines - perhaps a larger or more advanced machine, or even several smaller projects.

Predecessor Successor Technique
    Each predecessor machine has more things developed for it that are passed on to its successors. This is the technique that I use for a one-man team. There are at least 15 previous Propeller projects recycled into this one. (a lot of development has taken place behind the scenes) A successor of the US40 could be a much larger machine and have some different designs built in, as well as include some of the US40 designs.

Long Term Projects OK
    Hundreds of man hours. Yes. Thousands of man hours. Could be. Millions of man hours. No. Taking 8-hour days, a year is 2,922 hours. An average working time of 2 hours a night for a year is 730.5 hours. I had two big projects that lasted 10 years each. It's easy to see how one of those projects consumed at least 7,000 hours. Two of these projects combined are around 14,000 hours of labor.
    edited 2010-10-25 11:15
    List of US40 Propeller Predecessor
    Green Machines

This is simply to show that by recycling, it's possible to more economically build projects with increasingly larger numbers of prop chips. Not only are parts recycled, but technology too.

1) PEK 1
    2) MC Computer
    3) LED Machine
    4) 2-Proper 2 props, 1 PEK, 1 on same breadboard, 2-Prop-Experiment
    5) Spark 2 2 props, 1 Proto Board & 1 in parallel
    6) PiggyTwins 2 props, 1 piggybacked on another
    7) Dueling Breadboards 2 props, one on ea., f/interface tests
    8) Spark 4 Tiny Tim, 4 props, two proto boards w/2 props on ea
    9) Spark 5 5 props stacked Proto Boards
    10) Spark 6 6 props 3 proto boards 2 props on each
    11) Spark 8 Tertiary ADJUNCT, 8 props 4 proto boards 2 props on each
    12) Propalot 10 props on solderless breadboard
    13) Spark 10 10 props, 5 proto boards w/10 props total
    14) TTB Test Bed of Ten 10 props single board
    15) Twelvenator Board of Twelve, 12 props green board
    16) UltraSpark 15 15 props, interrupted stack Proto Boards
    17) Tertiary 20 20 props, 15 proto boards stacked 5 props
    18) UltraSpark 20 20 props stacked
    19) Boe-Bot Brain Project 20 props as Brain on Boe-Bot
    20) MLEPS Super Language Machine 25 props
    21) UltraSpark 40 Supermicrocontroller 40 props 320 cores, 6,400/8,320 MIPS
    22) Smartest Boe-Bot Brain Temporary Experiment 40 props, US40, 1 BOE, 321C

This is a nearly complete list of Propeller projects that were built leading up to the UltraSpark40 Machine. Some projects were posted and most were not posted because of rapid development time. Photos were take of most projects in their unique configurations. There may be gaps in the Spark and UltraSpark series. Some of indice were test beds existing a fleeting time for testing purposes.

Data taken from the Multiple Props Project List.
  • IncVoidIncVoid Posts: 40
    edited 2010-10-30 12:54
    Not trying to bump or anything. But would stone hinge be more of a lookup table?
    edited 2010-11-02 05:04
    IncVoid wrote: »
    Not trying to bump or anything. But would stone hinge be more of a lookup table?
    Yes, it's a lookup table as in a grave marker. It's more like a burial site.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stonehenge
    Archaeological evidence found by the Stonehenge Riverside Project in 2008 indicates that Stonehenge served as a burial ground from its earliest beginnings.[5] The dating of cremated remains found on the site indicate burials from as early as 3000 BC, when the initial ditch and bank were first dug. Burials continued at Stonehenge for at least another 500 years.[6]
    edited 2010-11-02 05:30
    Floating Point Processing on the UltraSpark 40

Work continues on the US40 in numerous areas, paving the way for the future. One area of research (the US40 is now being used for Academics) is in the realm of Floating Point. It's now possible to convert the machine over into FP. In addition to speed, floating point is one of the prerequisites for defining a supercomputer.

However, the first FP programs are considered to be experimental. I do not know the operating speed although I have some techniques developed to test it in the future. As it stands, FP on the US40 requires additional supporting objects to function, obtained from the Parallax OBEX (and affects the number of available cogs in the system). So far, the code is adding some simple numbers but it's understood there are other math functions and ROM tables available.

Additional work can expand US40 FP, define the number of significant digits precision, introduce additional math functions, and include Trig.
    edited 2010-12-30 21:43
    Here's some details for the Prop Terminal that is used on the UltraSpark40. The idea is to run a stack of boards and keep everything in the PC, in emulation mode. It include the TV, mouse and keyboard. Using this approach, a TV, mouse and keyboard can be given to each of all 40 Propellers.

Prop Terminal
    The PropTerminal is not just another Terminal-program for a PC. It is specially made for the Propeller
    in such a way, that it can emulate a keyboard, mouse and TV-Text-Display with the PC.