Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller Touchscreen Platform (PTP): Now available! Drives the $10 3.5" touc - Page 3 — Parallax Forums

Propeller Touchscreen Platform (PTP): Now available! Drives the $10 3.5" touc

13»

Comments

• RaymanRayman Posts: 13,892
    edited 2010-08-25 05:49
    mctrivia has a prototype, but he had some issues with it. I think he's taking a break from it, but he may get back to it.

Perhaps I'll find time to try to come up with a breakout board. What I'd like to do is find a way to conserve pins enough so that it could attach to one side of the Prop Platform, like one of my 4.3" breakouts does...

I think it can be done, but will require some experimentation...
  • HarleyHarley Posts: 997
    edited 2010-08-25 10:49
    Thanks Rayman, for the name. Hopefully mctrivia can eventually produce a working design.

I'm not in a hurry; it is only quite some time had passed and was curious about the situation on mctrivia's breakout board.

I'm presently more than busy enough with the PTP interface for the 3.5" LCDs. I was thinking, if a SD card socket is on a pcb, shouldn't there be a RTC for dating of files saved/modified? Of course, then there is the space needed for RTC IC, crystal, back-up battery, any other required parts. The snowball starts rolling again with add-ons.
    edited 2010-09-21 17:37
    I've just posted the original ExpressPCB design files for the PTP on my website. Also, I've posted the Digikey BOM with all the parts.

This should make it easier for people to design their own boards for the 3.5" touchscreens...
  • JackBakJackBak Posts: 45
    edited 2010-11-30 14:10
    @Rayman: A while back you mentioned the possibility of different font sizes based on some work of Ariba's. I have need of something smaller than the 16x16 tiles (8x8 would be good). In the 4.3" PSB thread Cluso99 even posted an Atari 8x8 font. Have you got anything going yet for the PTP? Or can you point me to PTP_LcdDriver hacks to use the Atari font along with the higher level spin function changes (the print function).

Thanks
    edited 2010-11-30 17:34
    I think it is relatively easy to convert Ariba's 4.3" drivers to work with the 3.5" displays. But, I don't think anybody's done it yet...
    edited 2010-11-30 17:53
    Rayman wrote: »
    I think it is relatively easy to convert Ariba's 4.3" drivers to work with the 3.5" displays. But, I don't think anybody's done it yet...

Ok, Thanks Ray, but I don't know what that means, is this a change in the PTP_LcdDriver or did Ariba rewrite some vga driver. I don't know where to go from here, although I'm willing to do it.
    edited 2010-11-30 20:22
    Yes, we need to replace the PTP_LcdDriver for that... At the bottom of this page:
    http://www.rayslogic.com/Propeller/Products/PSB/PSB.htm

are Andy's drivers. Both 4.3" and 3.5" displays have an RGB interface, which is very similar to VGA. In fact, all I really had to do was add in a pixel clock. The 3.5" display does require some SPI bus configuration, but that won't change. The pixel clock is a hair different between the two drivers just because I could use the non-inverted output with the PSM. Other than that, I think you just need to account for the different number of tiles between the two displays...
    edited 2010-11-30 20:50
    Great, thanks. Somehow I had missed that PSB 8x8 driver on your site. I'll dive into it tomorrow. Much appreciated.