Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Seagate Hard Drive Failure — Parallax Forums

Seagate Hard Drive Failure

ercoerco Posts: 20,256
edited 2010-07-02 15:19 in General Discussion
My Seagate HDD just went down, probably once & for all. It was a remanufactured 500GB unit, less than 6 months old. Looking online, this is a chronic problem with the 7200.11 family of drives. Here's just one listing: http://www.dailytech.com/Update+Seagate+Firmware+Update+Bricks+Barracuda+720011+HDDs/article14011.htm

Looks like it was so rampant that Seagate was offering free data recovery. Hope they still do. Anyway, if anybody else has this drive, be aware that your drive's days are numbered! Mine was remanufactured since they first learned of this problem and it still died an untimely death in·my little-used home computer.

Anybody have any glowing recommendations on long-lived HDDs? I'm staying clear of Seagate from now on.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
·"If you build it, they will come."

Comments

• LynnLynn Posts: 33
    edited 2010-05-25 17:07
    Sorry to hear of your crash.

The Seagate 500GB HDD in my computer died back in April just before tax day. I was able to recover my data off of the drive. I was not able to get any help from Seagate or the PC manufacturer. I was told I should have bought the extended warranty. Mine lasted for 13 months.

The PC manufacturer knew about the problem with the HDD, and still installed a drive with the know problem. A firmware fix was available at that time. They did not even notify any of their customers that the HDD could/would fail.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2010-05-25 17:55
    I wish it were still possible to buy new, lower-capacity hard drives. I've never even needed 60GB to store all my work, apps, and other stuff. It seems as if reliability is inversely proportional to capacity. Now 1TB drives have become the norm. How would you even fill such a drive -- or back it up?

-Phil
  • Jay B. HarlowJay B. Harlow Posts: 79
    edited 2010-05-25 18:03
    Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) said...
    I wish it were still possible to buy new, lower-capacity hard drives. I've never even needed 60GB to store all my work, apps, and other stuff. It seems as if reliability is inversely proportional to capacity. Now 1TB drives have become the norm. How would you even fill such a drive -- or back it up?

-Phil
    PM me, I may have a 60GB I could send you. I would need to check this evening on the specifics on the drive. Its in a plasic case sitting on a shelf... Low "mileage" as it were...

Jay
    edited 2010-05-25 18:14
    Hey thanks, Jay! I have what I need for now, but I appreciate the offer nonetheless. smile.gif

-Phil
  • John R.John R. Posts: 1,376
    edited 2010-05-25 20:52
    Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) said...

-Phil
    Fill it:· Get yourself a 12 Mega Pixel digital camera, and shoot in RAW mode.· My wife goes out and takes a couple hundred pictures a day.· (why? you may ask, because she can, and memory cards are cheap, and re-useable)·Not to mention Video.· We also tend to scan and store important documents.

Back it up:· A number of viable choices, including mirroring, bqckup to disk to an edternal hard drive, pick up a used tape drive (not a DAT, but a "real" tape drive), heck, you can get an entire PC for what you used to spend on a small hard drive.· Just buy two, and back one up to the other over the network.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    John R.
    Click here to see my Nomad Build Log
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    edited 2010-05-25 21:11
    I use a BlackX docking station for backups. Photos and video fill a a drive real fast.

17-153-066-S01?$S180W$

Rich H

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    The Simple Servo Tester, a kit from Gadget Gangster.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2010-05-25 22:44
    Seagate's first email response says " no data recovery, but your drive is under warranty and we'll replace it." I'm not finished with them yet. Quite frankly, I'd prefer free data recovery to a replacement Seagate drive. I'd relish the opportunity to send them a blank Western Digital drive and have them transfer my data to that...

An IT guy at work tells me that my drive might function OK as a slave for my own data retrieval, or that a SATA-USB adapter sometimes works when a direct SATA connection won't. Nice to have options.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,563
    edited 2010-05-25 22:59
    erco,

how dead is it?... does the system recognize it's presence? ... If the system can recognize that there is a drive there you might be able to swap it into another system you have and at least read from it. If not directly through software made for recovering the data.

I have used Active Undelete on a home drive that contained ALL of our family pictures and video dating back to 2000. That little software gem saved my marriage. Run the DEMO version and if you can 'see' your lost files, it may be worth the $40 for a license.

...So lesson learned, what I do now is basically the equivalent of a Raid drive on two physically separate drives. You DON'T want to setup a Raid drive system on a single drive that has been partitioned into multiple drives or else your just asking for it.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.
  • BradCBradC Posts: 2,601
    edited 2010-05-26 00:11
    erco said...
    Seagate's first email response says " no data recovery, but your drive is under warranty and we'll replace it." I'm not finished with them yet. Quite frankly, I'd prefer free data recovery to a replacement Seagate drive. I'd relish the opportunity to send them a blank Western Digital drive and have them transfer my data to that...

If the drive has "died" from the problem that plagued the 7200.11 drives (and the maxtor relatives of those - which I have 10 of) then you can probably recover it by clearing the G-list in the firmware. Do a search around and there are a couple of forums where people have posted the instructions to connect to the drive (I used a prop plug with some jumpers) and talk to the firmware using a terminal program to reset the log file. If your drive has not suffered any other failure (mechanical for example) then your data should still be there.

*found it*

www.msfn.org/board/topic/128807-the-solution-for-seagate-720011-hdds/

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?"
  • mikedivmikediv Posts: 825
    edited 2010-05-26 00:26
    hey guys I have a few 4 gig and 12 gig IDE drivse they are 5-1/4 if anyone wants one just pm me I even have a few 800 meg and one 120 meg drives I was going to rip the motors out for robots but its not worth it
    edited 2010-05-26 00:28
    XLNT info, guys! I'll try anything & everything. BradC, thanks for finding that very pertinent link. Right now all I know is I get a "Windows (Vista) can't start, error code
    001 . I tried the repair option, and let it try for many hours, but I don't think Windows can even find the drive. I'll check tonite to learn if the BIOS sees it.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • edited 2010-05-26 00:43
    Is it possible to roll back the update?

Just make sure you rule out malware, erco.

I have one of those external drive cases and taking it out and putting it into another computer may tell you if it is the drive or not.

I've also heard you can't drop those 1 TB drives or they're done.
  • BradCBradC Posts: 2,601
    edited 2010-05-26 00:52
    erco said...
    XLNT info, guys! I'll try anything & everything. BradC, thanks for finding that very pertinent link. Right now all I know is I get a "Windows (Vista) can't start, error code
    001 . I tried the repair option, and let it try for many hours, but I don't think Windows can even find the drive. I'll check tonite to learn if the BIOS sees it.

That sounds like its getting as far as reading the bootloader, so it's probably not the BSY state hangup I was referring to. There is another failure mode where the drive reports having 0 sectors, but I don't know if in that case it will let you read the first sector.

If the machine can see the disk then I'd get a linux live-cd and see what the drives SMART stats have to say.

As for which drives are reliable, I have 15 Maxtor Maxline-II 250G drives here with over 35,000 hours on the clock. I've also got 9 1TB Maxtor units (same drives as the Seagate 7200.11) with ~16,000 hours on them and 3 WD 750GB 7500AAKS drives with 21,000 hours on them.

I was lucky with the 1TB drives in that I could get the new firmware on to them before they hit the bug.

I had 10 1TB Maxtors, but I found out they don't bounce from waist height and had to replace one with a WD GP drive (it was all I could get).

I generally find every manufacturer has had their disasters, but if you keep the drives relatively cool and in a nice environment they'll last longer than you need them to last. (I retired a 250M WD after about 15 years 24/7 recently)

Those Maxtor units have 35,000 hours but only about 30 power cycles on them.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?"
  • Roy ElthamRoy Eltham Posts: 3,000
    edited 2010-05-26 10:08
    I use mostly Western Digital drives here, although I do have some Maxtor and Hitachi Drives too. I've only had one hard drive fail on me in decades, and that was a IBM DeathStar (DeskStar) back in the 20GB days.
    As for backing up, I run a WHS (Windows Home Server) box with 2TB of storage and do nightly backups of all my machines. I can't recommend WHS enough, seriously I refuse to live without it now at home.

Phil, one way to use up HDD space is via music and video, pile on a bunch of games and you start to use up space on those big drives. Of course, the largest chunk of space is used by art and data assets for work related stuff.

Anyway, erco, I hope you get your data back. I've used http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ to help recover data for friends and it's also handy for checking out machines.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Check out the Propeller Wiki·and contribute if you can.
  • Jay B. HarlowJay B. Harlow Posts: 79
    edited 2010-05-26 16:19
    Roy Eltham said...
    As for backing up, I run a WHS (Windows Home Server) box with 2TB of storage and do nightly backups of all my machines. I can't recommend WHS enough, seriously I refuse to live without it now at home.
    I use WHS also; I have 1.4TB of storage, but recently purchased a HD camcorder, so I suspect I'll be getting more drives soon ;-)

I totally agree, if you have multiple computers at home I can't recommend WHS enough! Backups & restores from WHS are super easy.

Jay
  • mctriviamctrivia Posts: 3,772
    edited 2010-05-26 16:49
    Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) I have 1.8TB in my raid at home and it is currently sitting at 70% full. Very easy to do when you shoot everything in RAW format, keep the edited PSD files, as well as the compressed jpegs. Also some of my photos are 1Gpixel and up panoramas. Each one takes up a gig or more of space in there raw and processed states.

My web server has over a petabyte of storage. I don't expect to ever fill that.

As for backup. I use a RAID system for my main drive system. I also have 2x 500GB hard drives I use to backup the most important stuff that I keep in a fire proof safe. And for added safety I keep a duplicate copy of the most important stuff on my web server in Toronto which has many backup systems of its own and is in a completely different province. just in case.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Lots of propeller based products in stock at affordable prices.
    edited 2010-05-26 17:38
    I do the offsite backup, too -- just not in the volumes you guys are accustomed to! BTW, for disk recovery, I've used Knoppix (www.knoppix.org) with good success, both with my own Windows HD that crashed and to recover files for friends. It does require some familiarity with Linux, though.

-Phil
  • RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2010-05-26 17:48
    Hello Erco,

Sorry to hear about your drive failure. I have a similar drive in a system and I think I'll make it a point to do backups more often...

A friend had a drive die where it smoked something on the drives main logic board. They contacted this place to get one to try and revive it to get the data off (pictures, etc)

http://www.hdd-parts.com/

Luckily they sent a board that worked and all the data could be read from the drive. May not help with your drive but well worth checking into if it looks like the controller board is toast...

Robert
  • Peter KG6LSEPeter KG6LSE Posts: 1,383
    edited 2010-05-26 17:53
    I am with Mctrivia ..

I use My Server with Yahoo for Off site and I use a Gtech Gdrive minis to do My disc dumps .

I rotate them so incase I have a error on the Main Int driove and it crashes the backupp I have a Independent backup fro rhe mnonth before .

My most dear data is also On some CF 128 GB cards . pricy little things but thay are easy to store in a small safe.

Peter KG6LSE

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "Carpe Ducktum" "seize the tape!!"
    peterthethinker.com/tesla/Venom/Venom.html
    Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway. —Tanenbaum, Andrew S.
    LOL
  • Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL)Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL) Posts: 1,720
    edited 2010-05-26 18:26
    If you use Linux as a recovery option as Phil suggested, another option is :

"
    About SystemRescueCd

Description: SystemRescueCd is a Linux system rescue disk available as a bootable CD-ROM or USB stick for administrating or repairing your system and data after a crash. It aims to provide an easy way to carry out admin tasks on your computer, such as creating and editing the partitions of the hard disk. It comes with a lot of linux software such as system tools (parted, partimage, fstools, ...) and basic tools (editors, midnight commander, network tools). It requires no installation. It can be used on linux servers, linux desktops or windows boxes. The kernel supports the important file systems (ext2/ext3/ext4, reiserfs, reiser4, btrfs, xfs, jfs, vfat, ntfs, iso9660), as well as network filesystems (samba and nfs). "

http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page
  • hover1hover1 Posts: 1,929
    edited 2010-05-26 18:50
    I have been using Carbonite off site backup for 2 years now.

·http://www.carbonite.com/

At less than $5.00 a month and unlimited backup. I have 200-300 GB up there at times. I have used the restore feature twice on my laptop. Once when I had corrupted XP files, and the second time just so I could clean the laptop out and put the files back fresh, kinda like a major defrag. I also use a 1TB USB drive for the times internet is down. These externals can be gotten for <$100 now. Still, there is nothing like off site storage.

Jim
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2010-05-26 19:53
    @erco - I feel your pain. My PC had a drive failure recently too and it was a Seagate (posted about it on my website). Almost all my drives are Western Digital and I've rarely had a failure < 5 years on WD drives. Seagate my luck has been < 2 year lifetime.

@Phil Pilgrim - You know Phil I always said that I would never fill the 250GB drives I have as my System drives, but both my PCs have < 60GB free on the C: drive. Since I do a lot of video editing both PCs also have a D drive which I capture to and render on. I hadn't realized until recently just how much space editing HD video takes up. I had 100GB free before a project and in the middle of rendering it said my HD was full! This is a 250GB drive as well. So now I have two 1TB network drives that save all my media files and the D drives remain empty except current projects.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage

Parallax Engineering
    ·
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2010-06-27 07:51
    Erco, If· you have access to a USB IDE/SATA device, use that and do a Scan/Repair and then try to get your data from it. If you do not scan it first and there are problems, you run the risk of damaging the sectors further.

I have been building systems for 15 plus years now and have used WD drives in every system I have ever built. In all those years I think I have had one (maybe 2) issues within the first year. I will say that older drives seem to have been built better, but even since 500 GB plus drives have been on the market I have had the best luck with WD.

A couple years ago I purchased 16 Seagate Seial Attached SCSI drives. Of those, 4 were bad right off the bat. I had them replaced only because they were what the client wanted. They are still running, but I would not use them again.
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2010-06-28 02:11
    Hover1, Does Carbonite do Exchange and SQL Servers and also open files? I do offsite backups for my clients, but they are all on Domains and have to backup Exchange server, SQL server and be able to backup open files. The software I use runs about $400.00 per seat for all the capabilities I mentioned. About $100.00 for just the plain version. I have about 12 TB of storage and the clients love the idea of not having to mess with it. Can do full system restores, deleted file restores and "roll back" restores, which lets you roll back files/directories to specific days. Really nice software IMO.
    edited 2010-06-29 23:28
    Not sure. I just looked at Carbonite Pro, and it does support Server 2003 and 2008, but they do not get into specifics. It would probably require a call to Tech Support.

Jim

NWCCTV said...
    Hover1, Does Carbonite do Exchange and SQL Servers and also open files? I do offsite backups for my clients, but they are all on Domains and have to backup Exchange server, SQL server and be able to backup open files. The software I use runs about $400.00 per seat for all the capabilities I mentioned. About $100.00 for just the plain version. I have about 12 TB of storage and the clients love the idea of not having to mess with it. Can do full system restores, deleted file restores and "roll back" restores, which lets you roll back files/directories to specific days. Really nice software IMO.
    edited 2010-06-29 23:28
    @erco
    As I was loading my trailer today I thought of you and you Seagate crash. While Seagate hard drives do not last forever, they did use a darn good shipping box. These are boxes from 1990, and I have used them on 6 moves totaling 6500 miles. We would go through 125 of these a day at Compusa during the Christmas season. 40MB, 49MB SCSI and 89MB, all IDE. The box is 14x8x11 and these where all 3.5” drives! I shudder to think how much foam went into the landfill to ship these drives!

Jim

Post Edited (hover1) : 6/29/2010 11:34:28 PM GMT
    1024 x 768 - 772K
    edited 2010-06-30 00:24
    Great, so Seagate is now my first choice for boxes and BRICKS! [noparse]:)[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2010-06-30 00:27
    Or Anchors! tongue.gif
    Jim
    erco said...
    Great, so Seagate is now my first choice for boxes and BRICKS! [noparse]:)[/noparse]

• HollyMinkowskiHollyMinkowski Posts: 1,398
    edited 2010-06-30 05:23
    erco

I have two 500gb external drives, Maxtors.

I think they have the same problem that the Seagates do
    and I believe the two brand names belong to the same company?

Anyway, each of mine became suddenly absent under windows.
    I used a recovery utility (I forget which one..something like "get data back")
    and recovered all the data. Then I used a Linux utility disk to reformat them
    as NTFS and have never again had a problem with them. (over a year of constant use)

I think there is something amiss with the original factory formatting of these drives.
    I recommend anyone that has one moves all the data off and then does
    a fresh NTFS format on them.
    edited 2010-06-30 15:45
    Thanks all, I was able to recover my data with the drive hooked up as a secondary drive. But it won't boot up on its own. And it will never get the chance...

@Holly: I def did a fresh NTFS format when I first got it, and Windows did another before its fresh install, so it wasn't the factory formatting. Check those links above, there are documented firmware issues on this series of drives.

Based on my own experience, I agree with the other recos here: when a hard drive flinches ONCE, grab your data and run. It's a time bomb after that.

Never give a sucker an ever break, never give a HD (especially a Seagate!) a second chance.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔