Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Giveaway - Rare! BS2P40 Starter Kit - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Giveaway - Rare! BS2P40 Starter Kit

Comments

• PadawanPadawan Posts: 3
    edited 2010-05-13 04:32
    I think I need this kit for the following reason:

Suppose that I -- on a clandestine excursion to a war-torn middle-eastern oligarchy to demonstrate a new weapon that may turn the tide of the conflict to favor freedom, peace, and prosperity -- am taken captive by a well-armed and determined group of insurgents bent on continental domination through the use of the very weapon I designed to end the aforementioned struggle. What if -- left with no other options -- I am forced to deliver such a weapon into the hands of my captors and turn my back on peace, freedom, and the kind man with whom I share a cave/prison cell (who, incidentally, also saved my life by patching up my wounds and implanting a battery-operated electromagnet in my sternum)? If only there were some alternative.

Enter parallax. Now suppose that sometime in my past, I had been better prepared in robotics, programming, and inventing. Suppose that my experiences with the BS2P40 Starter Kit had primed my intellect for the challenges one must face in designing, constructing, and operating an armed and armored high-tech prosthesis in an effort to save myself and eventually the world. It is a rare and precious jewel indeed.

How can you say no to that?

[noparse]:)[/noparse]
  • WBA ConsultingWBA Consulting Posts: 2,934
    edited 2010-05-13 05:06
    I think I need this board to replace my BOE that is used for all my Stamp applications where I use the LCD appmod. Then I could pass my BOE and the book on to a co-worker who recently bought an AVR kit from nerdkits.com and is struggling with it.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Andrew Williams
    WBA Consulting
    WBA-TH1M Sensirion SHT11 Module
    Special Olympics Polar Bear Plunge, Mar 20, 2010
  • TinkersALotTinkersALot Posts: 535
    edited 2010-05-13 05:46
    To Open and Use or Not To Open and Use That is the Question...The recipient of this rarity would first have to decide whether this gem should remain sealed in its very nice looking isolation suit. IMHO, nobody summarized the core of the conflict better than some snips of the dialog from Toy Story II, shown below:

Stinky Pete the Prospector: Idiots! Children destroy toys. You'll be ruined, forgotten, spending eternity rotting on some landfill.
    Woody: Well, Stinky Pete, I think it's time you learned the true meaning of playtime.

Stinky Pete the Prospector: Fair?'! I'll tell you what's not fair: Spending a lifetime on a dime-store shelf watching every other toy be sold! Well, finally my waiting has paid off, and no hand-me-down cowboy doll is gonna mess it up for me now!

I can imagine a very similar conversation happening between this pristine device still in its original encounter suit and another device warm and snug in a circuit born on an experimenter's test bench; happily blinking lights, buzzing buzzers, whirring motors. All the while knowing that its very existance brings a feeling of pride to the experimenter and a sense of excitement and wonder in the minds of onlooking children.

To Use Or Not To Use -- That is the question....
  • MiccimMiccim Posts: 14
    edited 2010-05-13 08:08
    I would love to make a chance for winning this BS2P40 Starter Kit. I'm using a (BoeBOT) Basic Stamp 2 now, and I'm exploring the possibilities. Have lots of ideas for little projects to try out, but as a being a rookie it can be sometime it's difficult to get things working correctly, although the Pbasic programming language if easy to learn and understand smile.gif)

For my last project i'm using a PINK (Netburner kit), and this opens a new world of possibilities while connecting the BS2 to the internet smile.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    BoeBOT with BS2 and PINK module (Netburner) | Latest: BlinkM

Post Edited (Miccim) : 5/13/2010 8:23:08 AM GMT
  • FurlishtFurlisht Posts: 1
    edited 2010-05-13 09:20
    I just neeeed the preciouuuss!
    131222golluml.jpg
  • edited 2010-05-13 12:13
    I'm broken and unemployed, too. I was celebrating new year in an abandoned railroad house at -10°C with my robot RP. Now I'm at my mother's place again - and my robot is still with me. My possessions fit into two backpacks and a bicycle bag. When I was in the railroad house I could connect a Figaro sensor to my bot, which prevented me to go up in flames when a candle was burning my carpet. I broke one wheel encoder and I'm waiting for an replacement sticker. I BROKE MY ROBOT'S LEG! Please give me your giveaway to say sorry to him, please! <8...(

Post Edited (tlwmdbt) : 5/13/2010 12:24:57 PM GMT
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2010-05-13 12:48
    Two reasons that this piece of amazing Parallax history should be sent this direction. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

* "Oldbitcollector" -- Is there no forum name more descriptive of someone who collects old bits. [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    (Although, I never realized that one day there might be an opportunity to collection old microcontrollers in
    addition to my collection of 25+ year old computers. [noparse]:)[/noparse] -- Thanks Parallax, now I feel old!

* Thanks to Ken sending my father a BASIC STAMP, I have now added STAMP BASIC to my list of things I'm learning.
    (Conspiracy I tell you! [noparse]:)[/noparse] I need to be able to answer his questions intelligently, as well as help when he's ready
    to migrate to a Prop. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Reread the thread looking for the true deserving person.. Give it to NWCCTV! (If his story checks out.) Otherwise.. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Are you Propeller Powered? PropellerPowered.com
    Visit the: PROPELLERPOWERED SIG forum kindly hosted by Savage Circuits.

Post Edited (Oldbitcollector) : 5/13/2010 1:48:47 PM GMT
  • tbatba Posts: 1
    edited 2010-05-13 14:43
    I could use the p40 in the business I'm starting (or trying to start).
  • BJJohnsonBJJohnson Posts: 24
    edited 2010-05-13 14:55
    We are wanting to control the bay doors at our fire station from the fire trucks to close the doors when we go out on calls. This would prevent people from coming in and removing things while we are on calls. I would use the kit for this purpose.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 1,023
    edited 2010-05-13 15:39
    BJJohnson said...
    We are wanting to control the bay doors at our fire station from the fire trucks to close the doors when we go out on calls. This would prevent people from coming in and removing things while we are on calls. I would use the kit for this purpose.
    BJ, I'm guessing you are a VFD. I'm a volunteer myself. If you don't win (or if you do) I'd be happy to help you with your project. I tried to PM you but you have it off. PM me or email me : jpeakall AT madlabs DOT info.

Jonathan

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.madlabs.info - Home of the Hydrogen Fuel Cell Robot
  • zappmanzappman Posts: 418
    edited 2010-05-13 16:02
    Like "Oldbitcollector" I would love to add this to my vintage collection, of computers, calculators, game sytems, and other electronics.

If I am not the one that receives it, I hope "Oldbitcollector" does.
  • electrosyselectrosys Posts: 212
    edited 2010-05-13 17:04
    I will also say, give it to NWCCTV

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    At the end, everything will became Electrons...!
  • VeganRobotVeganRobot Posts: 17
    edited 2010-05-13 18:42
    I need a robot to clean my room but I'm worried about it going insane like in the Terminator. The BS2 will give me just the right power to clean but not enough for world domination.
  • kf4ixmkf4ixm Posts: 529
    edited 2010-05-13 19:10
    I would get a Parallax Tattoo if i won it! [noparse]:)[/noparse]
  • Mike2545Mike2545 Posts: 433
    edited 2010-05-13 19:37
    I'll trade you a propeller board for it...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Mike2545
  • VaatiVaati Posts: 712
    edited 2010-05-13 19:41
    I personally think that Luis Calcena should get it, as long as may 14th really is his birthday...

The reason I would want it is because it would give me a chance to learn new things about programming and electronics. Other than that, learning how to program the bs2p40 could just be something to put on my resume when I apply for the position of electronics engineer at parallax in a couple years. smile.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    MCU Projects·- my new site where I will be posting all projects, code, etc.

Quit buying all those fixed voltage regulators, and·get an Adjustable Power Supply·for your projects!· Includes an LED testing terminal!

SD Card Adapter·- Add extra memory to your next Propeller project with ease!
  • kc8ztjkc8ztj Posts: 6
    edited 2010-05-13 19:52
    I agree with Erco yo yo..! Really could use this kit to further my knowledge of the microcontroller field.
  • kc8ztjkc8ztj Posts: 6
    edited 2010-05-13 19:53
    I really need this to complete my education in the world of micro controllers. burger.gif
  • blind_botblind_bot Posts: 22
    edited 2010-05-13 21:58
    I would to love to have it because it would be an honor to add another stamp to my collection, and because it will fit nicley into my summer project. I am planning on building a wirless thermometer with PID controler for my smoker.. I·will need one additional stamp for the project.... yeah.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Gvu92Gvu92 Posts: 1
    edited 2010-05-13 23:11
    I really would like to have it because it's just beautiful.
    If i had it, i would stare at it all the time long. Haha!
    Anyway, it would be a great improvement from my basic parallax stamps!

I want it! I need it! I love it!

By the way, thanks for the giveaway!
  • Kevin WoodKevin Wood Posts: 1,266
    edited 2010-05-13 23:17
    I'd like to second the suggestion for the high school weather station. .. smile.gif
  • Tex4uTex4u Posts: 30
    edited 2010-05-14 00:02
    I was just reading about using the BS2P in a High Altitude balloon.· I have the bug now to get my Ham license so the next step is to get my hands on a BS2P.· This could be my lucky day!

Thanks Parallax for making technology fun and available.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Of all the things I have lost...

I miss my mind the most.
  • danderrickdanderrick Posts: 3
    edited 2010-05-14 01:37
    Because I've been buying Parallax products longer than anyone here. I would also like to have a chip with the extra I/O. Dan
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2010-05-14 01:57
    I'm with erco too!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Whit+

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2010-05-14 04:43
    danderrick: How long? 1994 for me, when I bought my first BS1 for the first Trinity Firefighting Robot Contest.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·"If you build it, they will come."
  • Possum79Possum79 Posts: 30
    edited 2010-05-14 04:59
    I want it. Love to add new things to the collections. Plus having more capabilites is always a plus! To many projects in my head and I haven't started any of them.
  • MikerocontrollerMikerocontroller Posts: 310
    edited 2010-05-14 05:49
    Can you explain the features of this amazing development board so I will not be overwhelmed when it arrives at the doorstep of my non-profit orphanage?
  • GerardoCRGerardoCR Posts: 6
    edited 2010-05-14 18:30
    Hi, i would use it for teaching robotics, and maybe to construct a new sumo robot for competitions.
  • PrettybirdPrettybird Posts: 269
    edited 2010-05-14 19:32
    Sounds good and can always use more I/O Is this how I enter?
  • wjsteelewjsteele Posts: 697
    edited 2010-05-14 20:51
    Well, I could use it to teach some of the students at the local school about how microcontrollers work, and can actually use it to build a device they can all interact with... one I/O for each of them!

Bill