Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
newbie looking for a jump start — Parallax Forums

newbie looking for a jump start

volantisvolantis Posts: 3
edited 2010-05-11 23:09 in BASIC Stamp
I would like to jump right into using basic stamp technology and I'm willing to pay someone to build my first project for me. I can then get practice from using the project.

What I want to build is a programmable chaser switch. I need to control three circuits such that each circuit is 120 degrees of a cycle. The duty cycle of each circuit (on-off time) needs to be from 5% to 100%. I also need to be able to reverse the chase sequence direction as well as change the chase sequence rate. Finally, I need to be able to program the chase sequence to alternate between forward and backward chases and at variable alternation rates.

I would also like a VB6 interface with all the controls in place.

If someone here would like to help me get this going, please send me a private message to discuss a fair fee.

Thanks,

volantis

Comments

• metron9metron9 Posts: 1,100
    edited 2010-05-11 17:34
    What voltage and current on each circuit? AC or DC? Can you post a psudo interface page, number of buttons, sliders, data input for example do you want an interface similar to a midi sequencer with a GUI interface you can draw lines on a time scale to fade up/down on/off or something more simple with data input and timers.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Think Inside the box first and if that doesn't work..
    Re-arrange what's inside the box then...
    Think outside the BOX!
  • volantisvolantis Posts: 3
    edited 2010-05-11 18:01
    metron9 said...
    What voltage and current on each circuit? AC or DC?

The voltage and current on each circuit need only be enough to operate a solid state relay. It can be from 5 to 12 volts and up to 500 mA. It would be good to have voltage and current adjustments with a range from 3 to 20 volt and .25 to 2 amp. Either two meters could be built in or ports included for a voltmeter and ammeter.
    metron9 said...
    Can you post a psudo interface page, number of buttons, sliders, data input for example do you want an interface similar to a midi sequencer with a GUI interface you can draw lines on a time scale to fade up/down on/off or something more simple with data input and timers.

This is a reasonable request. Unfortunately, I'm away from my VB programming computer for a couple more weeks. Textually, here are the six controls I envision:

Main Three Phase Panel:
    Logarithmic control from .1 Hz to 300 MHz (or maximum rate of Basic Stamp) - controls the number of cycles in one direction per second
    Duty Cycle - slider from 5% to 100% - controls the on-off duration of each circuit
    Forward-Backward binary switch - reverses the direction of the chase sequence

Alternating Rotations Panel:
    On-Off switch - Overrides Forward-Backward binary switch and starts chase alternating between forward and backward directions
    Dial - range from .001 to 300 Hz - changes the rate of forward-backward alternations
    Dial - range from 1 - 300 cycles - determines the number of times the forward and backward cycles repeat before reversing directions.

As stated previously, this is a three phase system. One complete cycle will always trigger all three circuits exactly 120 degrees apart.
  • metron9metron9 Posts: 1,100
    edited 2010-05-11 19:01
    Are you looking at something like this relay?
    http://www.opto22.com/site/pr_details.aspx?cid=3&item=DC60S5

On time is 100usec and off time is 750usec

I am not sure, perhaps someone with experience could chime in as to the maximum PWM one would attempt on something like this.

I know from using some slow fets that too fast PWM can overheat the device so I am not sure about that aspect.

Do you plan to do the VB interface? Serial output? If so I would suggest a microcontroller with a hardware USART to keep up with the data flow. I think you would be pushing a stamp to the extreme. The serial input on the stamp stops program execution while it waits for serial data and has no hardware interrupts for a real time system like this.
    An atmel tiny2313 has 4 PWM channels and could do the job running at 20mhz, the stamp only runs at 2000 lines of code per second vs 20 million per second.

Looks simple enough, but I would need more info on the interface.

Are you using 12V light bulbs on these switches or LED's?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Think Inside the box first and if that doesn't work..
    Re-arrange what's inside the box then...
    Think outside the BOX!
  • JDJD Posts: 570
    edited 2010-05-11 19:35
    Volantis,

I don’t know if you knew or not, but we have a list of Authorized Consultants·that are available. They work with various controllers and for specific industries. Here is a link to the web page that you can review, the cost really depends on the availability and complexity of the project. Hope this helps

Parallax Authorized Consultants List:
    http://www.parallax.com/tabid/382/Default.aspx

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Respectfully,

Joshua Donelson
    www.parallax.com
  • volantisvolantis Posts: 3
    edited 2010-05-11 23:09
    metron9 said...
    Are you looking at something like this relay?
    http://www.opto22.com/site/pr_details.aspx?cid=3&item=DC60S5

The relays I have are something along that line. Right now, I'm 2000 miles away from them, so I can't give the model number. I think my relays handle greater current.
    metron9 said...
    Are you using 12V light bulbs on these switches or LED's?

No, I'm using DC electromagnets on these switches.

I don't understand enough about the Basic Stamp to know its response times. Perhaps the stamp is not the way to go for me. Then again, maybe the stamp can control an IC circuit? I have attached a circuit a friend did for me using 4011 and 4015 ICs. Tell me if that makes it easier to build.

Joshua - No I was not aware of the consultant list. Thanks. I have sent an email to one of them, but I will still give someone here a shot at building the circuit.

Dave