Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Penguins Discontinued !?!?!? - Page 3 — Parallax Forums

Penguins Discontinued !?!?!?

13»

Comments

• W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    edited 2010-08-08 18:24
    My understanding is that Andrew's instructions and the parts kit are to rescue the current stock of sick birds. I do not think that there will be any more made.

Rich H
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2010-08-08 18:32
    Thanks for the clarification - Still good news! It will be great to save the Penguins that are out there!
  • schillschill Posts: 741
    edited 2010-08-09 06:30
    Any chance of Penguins/rework kits showing up at UPENE?
  • GalacticaActualGalacticaActual Posts: 18
    edited 2010-09-03 17:38
    Any word on the re-work instructions? It has been a while.
  • HumanoidoHumanoido Posts: 5,770
    edited 2010-09-04 09:57
    Any word on the re-work instructions? It has been a while.
    Yes, the rework instructions were posted. A search should bring it up.

Humanoido
    edited 2010-09-04 10:06
    We're all about rescuing Penguins. If you know of one that needs rescue, don't hesitate to restore it to a healthy condition. You won't be sorry at all. The new Penguin is filled with new features!

There's still a large flock of Penguins held over at the Parallax repository. Ken loves to give these out with really good deals because it makes people so happy to have a cute little Penguin robot strutting about on the table. Be sure to take advantage of the new text messages capabilities with the new Penguins. Using the "Copy Cat Penguin" program, a slight change will send text between Penguins. The text is easy to understand and can be displayed too. If you want, send the text and follow up with some Penguinese.

Humanoido
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2010-09-04 11:20
    Maybe Ken will throw in a rescuable Penguin with each S2...
  • Al BoothAl Booth Posts: 137
    edited 2010-09-04 18:40
    @Humanoido

Would you please post a link to the rework instructions? My search seems to be failing me at the moment.

Al
    edited 2010-09-06 00:47
    Here's the complete fix to the new Penguin robots.
    Humanoido

EDIT: The fix information is updated, therefore this image is removed to avoid confusion. Please disregard any attachments to this post.
    edited 2010-09-06 08:19
    Thank you for the pictures. Any info on the FET?
    Is Parallax going to offer a parts kit?

I guess I have to find the fine tip for my soldering station.
    edited 2010-09-06 10:12
    Al Booth wrote: »
    Thank you for the pictures. Any info on the FET?
    Is Parallax going to offer a parts kit? I guess I have to find the fine tip for my soldering station.
    Contact Parallax for a complete parts kit. I bought a new soldering iron which has long and very fine pointed tips. I purchased a replaceable tip so there won't be any down time when the first tip wears out. In experimenting with several wattage irons, (220V) 40W KS-40R distributes the heat evenly in just the right amount at the tip. This is made in China by Taiyo Electric Industries for countries with 220V standards. You'll need a good magnifier. I purchased one with the adjustable hand clips but liked the magnifying glass so much that I made a nice telescope with it. :) Next time I'll get something less enticing.

Humanoido
    edited 2010-09-06 10:18
    Thanks again. I'll try to contact Parallax tomorrow.
    I have a soldering station but I have the regular tip on now. Now where did I put that fine tip?
    Forgot about the magnifier. Good idea.

Al
    edited 2010-09-06 11:57
    I was asking about the re-work instructions referred to in WBA Consulting's post on 8/08/10. The pictures from Humanoido were in WBA Consulting's post on 7/21/10 (pictures now deleted), and he seems to indicate in his 7/22 and 8/08 posts that there were changes/corrections made after 7/21.

Personally, with my eyesight and SMD soldering skills, I don't think I can do the fix as shown without messing something up. I may have to do it on a small separate board and jumper it into place.
    edited 2010-09-06 23:27
    I was asking about the re-work instructions referred to in WBA Consulting's post on 8/08/10. The pictures from Humanoido were in WBA Consulting's post on 7/21/10 (pictures now deleted), and he seems to indicate in his 7/22 and 8/08 posts that there were changes/corrections made after 7/21.

Personally, with my eyesight and SMD soldering skills, I don't think I can do the fix as shown without messing something up. I may have to do it on a small separate board and jumper it into place.
    Do you have links to these posts? I need to update my Penguin Archives.

Humanoido
    edited 2010-09-07 09:40
    @ Humanoido

I should have said "replies" instead of "posts." I am referring to his replies with those dates in this same thread.

Anyway, Ken Gracey just posted the re-work instructions in another thread:

Penguin Rework Instructions + Rework Kit + Availability
    <http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?t=125461&gt;
  • WBA ConsultingWBA Consulting Posts: 2,934
    edited 2010-09-07 12:54
    The rework instructions have been posted on another thread that has been started to track the penguin kits and rework parts.

In regards to the deleted pictures on the original thread, I removed them because they are missing a critical piece of the rework: the resistor being soldered to one side of the trace cut.
    edited 2010-09-07 20:36
    The confusion resulted when the original posts with documentation were deleted. The new post by Ken Gracey has the latest info. It looks like we can track this thread for upcoming new information.

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?t=125461

Humanoido